CPAC 2019

Grandioso

On 8/6/2022 at 6:55 PM, RabidM said:

Orbán's aide resigned because the speech he gave was basically a Nazi speech.  He changed the country's constitution so he can stay in power even if he doesn't win a majority of votes.  He's wildly racist and purges his critics, controls the media etc... Standing ovation from the GOP.  Shit is seriously scary and fucked up.  A lot of my conservative facebook friends are starting to talk about how we're not really a democracy and never were.  OK then... we're screwed because too many of us are just too fucking stupid. 

Tahoe was spewing that "we're not a democracy, we're a republic" horseshit back on the scat site, and probably even back before that.

17 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Tahoe was spewing that "we're not a democracy, we're a republic" horseshit back on the scat site, and probably even back before that.

I think it's going more mainstream.  It's not just the MAGA lunatics saying it.  I've seen some of my more "reasonable" conservative friends say it.  It might be taking root in a wider audience. 

10 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

10 hours ago, RabidM said:

I think it's going more mainstream.  It's not just the MAGA lunatics saying it.  I've seen some of my more "reasonable" conservative friends say it.  It might be taking root in a wider audience. 

And it happens to be true, and that’s fine as far as it goes, but what is not fine is deploying that unremarkable structural fact to deny republican representation from the majority and thus de facto strip them of their citizenship. 

Somewhere I read that to be a loyal “conservative”  Republican at this moment is to believe that they are an in-group that the law protects but does not bind, and the rest of us are an out-group the law binds but does not protect.  
I fear that’s the MAGA meaning of “we’re a Republic, not a Democracy.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Somewhere I read that to be a loyal “conservative”  Republican at this moment is to believe that they are an in-group that the law protects but does not bind, and the rest of us are an out-group the law binds but does not protect.  
I fear that’s the MAGA meaning of “we’re a Republic, not a Democracy.”

It's not any more complicated than that.  That's the entirety of the movement....oh, that in-group is white christo-fascist, just for an extra dose of spice.

13 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

While I disdain the framing because it devalues democracy, there is some truth to the notion that we’re not exactly a democracy.  I mean, it’s hard to call yourself a democracy when the will of the voters is repeatedly subverted by structural ratfuckery like the electoral college, gerrymandering, and dark money.  

I tend to think of America as an aspiring democracy organized and guided by an aristocracy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, David Dennison said:

There's a Hilton Garden Inn in Grapevine right by a Bass Pro Shop. Their one conference room is probably big enough, and you've got a nearby attraction of interest to the MAGA crowd. Seems like a good fit.