Subawu recalls 2.3 million cars: perfumes, fabric softeners may hinder ignition

clapclapclap

Don't put a dab of Downey behind your ears.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/subaru-says-its-cars-and-fabric-softener-dont-mix-11551442945

Subaru Recalls Cars as Some Perfumes Cause Malfunctions

Auto maker’s recall could affect up to 2.3 million vehicles after discovering glitches linked to cosmetics, other household products

TOKYO—If you drive a Subaru, you may want to avoid wearing perfume or a sweater treated with fabric softener—they could prevent the engine from starting.

Subaru Corp. FUJHY +1.69% said Friday it plans to recall as many as 2.3 million Impreza and Forester vehicles world-wide after discovering that certain chemical compounds released by everyday products such as cosmetics, fabric softener or car polish could cause parts to malfunction.

These malfunctions could affect a brake-light switch that is also involved in starting the engine or cause a vehicle-stability warning light to flash unnecessarily, the Japanese auto maker said. According to the recall notice Subaru filed with Japanese regulators, these chemicals may create an insulating layer on the switches that prevents the proper flow of electricity.

No accidents related to the problems have been reported, the company said.

If all the affected vehicles were to be recalled it would be the second-largest such action by Subaru, after the recall connected to faulty air bags made by Takata.

Subaru, which generates two-thirds of its sales in the U.S., has been plagued by a series of quality-related issues since late 2017, including falsifying fuel-efficiency data and conducting quality checks improperly. In January, the auto maker shut down its two Japanese factories for nearly two weeks over trouble with the power steering in Forester, Impreza and Crosstrek models.

The problems have contributed to a sharp fall in profitability. Operating profit, which peaked at about $5 billion in the year ended in March 2016, is expected to reach only about one-third of that level in the current fiscal year ending in March.

Subaru filed a recall notice Thursday covering around 300,000 vehicles in Japan made between 2008 and 2017. Nearly two million additional vehicles affected by the latest problem could also be recalled, but the company said Friday it is still weighing its options in the U.S. and other countries.

The auto maker said it received complaints about the issue as early as 2013 and realized it could be caused by the presence of silicon gas in the vehicles. After continuing to receive complaints in recent years, Subaru identified the household products that were the source of the gas. The number of complaints has reached 1,399, the company said.

This is a very cheap part (like $10 on their online part shop).  https://parts.gillmansubarunorth.com/p/Subaru_2014_Crosstrek-20L-CVT-Limited/SWITCH-STOP-LAMP-------------------------FOR-BULB/65157237/83311FJ001.html

I just had mine swapped out in my 2014 Crosstrek within the last year.  Dealership tried to charge for 1/2 hour of shop time (~$60) service to install it, so I said I would buy it and install myself in the parking lot.  Service manager said they would install it for free at that point, since it was a well known issue for them.  I'm sure a lot of suckers have paid for this over the years, but really, this should have been a mandatory recall a long time ago.