Anyway we can get the file size upped? Or a larger restriction on linked files? I had to damn near kill mine to meet the restrictions. Below was how it was on shaggy, and you can see the pixelated version I had to create. Or maybe someone is better at resizing.

.HE6kafA.gif

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Anyway we can get the file size upped? Or a larger restriction on linked files? I had to damn near kill mine to meet the restrictions. Below was how it was on shaggy, and you can see the pixelated version I had to create. Or maybe someone is better at resizing.

.HE6kafA.gif

5.5 mb is way too large for an avatar. A few of those and it would slow down the site considerably. Here's an edited 2 mb version. No one wants to watch De Niro in that scene.

7tyrdxt.gif

54 minutes ago, Netzer said:

5.5 mb is way too large for an avatar. A few of those and it would slow down the site considerably. Here's an edited 2 mb version. No one wants to watch De Niro in that scene.

7tyrdxt.gif

Shag handled that just fine. 2mb is still too large. 500kb was what it was limiting to earlier

• Like 1

Just now, gecko said:

sort of avatar related (not own thread worthy)....shaggy had a small longhorn next to its URL....can we get that added?

favicon.ico

I'm sure Surly will get to it in time.  Looks like there is a good bit of decorating yet to be done around the place.  Thank goodness we've got a nice rug though - it ties the whole room together.

1 hour ago, Ldogg53 said:

Thanks gents.  Also, maybe a quick "how to" on resizing would help so that others don't hound you to fix theirs. 

There are many ways leading to Rome.

To resize an existing GIF, open the file in Photoshop in order to crop, shrink and remove frames, if necessary. A last resort is color reduction from 256 max. to 128 or 64. Photoshop allows a preview of the expected file size, so one can go back and make adjustments.

The ideal way, however, is creating a GIF from original footage. Example: The wheels coming off from Seb Buemi's Red Bull.

1. Search for quality footage. Sources like YouTube usually provide good stuff.

2. Download MP4 video, e.g. with 4K Video Downloader.

3. Open MP4 with Adobe After Effects to create a video sequence.

4. Save sequence as MOV file.

5. Import (not simply open!) MOV video into Photoshop.

6. Edit similar to above mentioned GIF method.

7. Save as GIF file.

LotSIT1.gif

8 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Thanks gents.  Also, maybe a quick "how to" on resizing would help so that others don't hound you to fix theirs. 

I just use Ezgif.com. 

It's pretty easy to use. Cropping and resizing can be done on the phone. That helps a lot. Compression is hard to judge, but they actually tell you what the general  ranges are for the GIF. 

It's step by step, and they keep all the old steps present while you work, so you can always go back if you're not satisfied,  without having to reload the page or start over.