Garage Ideas

We’re discussing building an extra garage to get some more space. If you have built one or have one I’m looking for any advice and tips on what you like or don’t like about yours. Size, layouts, door setups, etc...

Main use will be to move our mower, lawn equipment and tools out of our third spot to get the extra Jeep in the garage.  I may use it for some light car projects from time to time when the weather sucks. There is a possibility we move our gym from the house to the new garage but that is low. Also a chance I’ll need it for another car in the future.

Currently I’m thinking 24x24 with a double garage door and a walk through. I’m going back and forth if I should take it to 24x36 with a double and single garage door. I am planning on electricity but not plumbing due to the location of the septic.  

What am I missing or overlooking?

Increased ceiling height including mechanical garage door height clearance.  Generator and large air compressor accommodations.   Plenty of positive slope to the exterior opening to wash out the joint.   Decking for the ceiling joists above to create an attic and a decent weight-rated drop ladder to get infrequently used stuff up and down.   Lots of electrical plugs (110 / 220 / 221...whatever it takes).   Consider and extra roll up door on an opposite wall  to allow for taking advantage of good weather and cross breezes.   Also, exterior overhang with flatwork pad to park under and drink beer and burn wood in the rain. 

• Like 3

24 x 26 for a true 2 car garage.

A center steel beam that you can also use to haul an engine our of a car bay if you need to

I'd like to have a shallow grease pit under one bay for more room working below my old car.

A floor drain is nice for cleaning the slab 

windows high n the walls to allow light, but maintain wall storage space

Make the second floor habitable if possible, even for future use, and rough in a future bath during construction

36 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

I've got a Metal building thread in Hobbies. 40x60 weld up metal building. basically 40x20 apartment and 40x40 garage. I would look at doing a metal building as it may be more cost effective than stick and brick or whatever you were thinking. 

And it is really nice. 

• Like 1

Stick and brick or brick veneer with shingles on a metal building is required by the HOA. 

We considered moving to get out of the HOA or into a looser one but are having a hard time finding anything that checks as many boxes as our current residence. I’m also thinking that by the time I paid all of the relator fees and closing cost I could cover the cost of the building and check off one of the last big wants at this house. 

Building your own stuff is awesome and satisfying.  Not only the finished product but getting your own paws into it, smashing fingers, sweating your giblets off, etc. I've seen the stuff Surlsters have built and posting my own cantina, hunting trailers and decks on the old site.   I enjoy it so much.  Next up at our deer camp is a cover over the shooting benches at our rifle range, a cover over our skinning rack, another deck, 3 replacement blinds and a bigger tractor barn.  

Get it done, Archer.  Let's see some action

Assuming it would face the street, I'm a big fan of having two garage doors, one to the front and one to the rear.  That way, if you're working on a project, you can open the back door for light and ventilation, without needing to open to the street.  So, you can leave that door open and come and go without worrying about somebody stealing your shit...or spying on you while you're making secret modifications to your mower, Hank Hill style. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Assuming it would face the street, I'm a big fan of having two garage doors, one to the front and one to the rear.  That way, if you're working on a project, you can open the back door for light and ventilation, without needing to open to the street.  So, you can leave that door open and come and go without worrying about somebody stealing your shit...or spying on you while you're making secret modifications to your mower, Hank Hill style. 

I like the front and rear door option for the pull thru ability, as well as your points.