What kinda spider is this?

Slacks

That's one of them "King of Animalia" spiders.

Taxonomic Hierarchy

• Kingdom: Animalia
  • Phylum: Arthropoda
  • Class: Arachnida
  • Order: Araneae
  • Suborder: Araneomorphae
  • Family: Scytodidae
  • Genus: Scytodes
  • Species: Scytodes thoracica

14 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Not an expert, but I think that's part of the widow family (i.e. extremely dangerous). They can have all sorts of different markings other than the classic hourglass.

P.s. are you still alive?

You are on the right track. Its a male black widow. The females are the classic solid black, chunky body (no Vic), shorter legs. Plus the hourglass shape is on the underside of the abdomen for females. Those markings are on the top.

Males are less venomous, and less likely to bite, and don't make webs. You rarely see them, compared to the females.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

You are on the right track. Its a male black widow. The females are the classic solid black, chunky body (no Vic), shorter legs. Plus the hourglass shape is on the underside of the abdomen for females. Those markings are on the top.

Males are less venomous, and less likely to bite, and don't make webs. You rarely see them, compared to the females.

Good info.

It's a pretty damn cool looking spider.

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

And I guess I could just google, but that’s no fun. If they don’t make webs, how do they feed?

Educating yourself is fun. You should try it. I googled it. I have your answer. I’m not going to share it with you. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Haha 1