Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

The timeframe for the "dream sequence" was probably less than an hour in real time, and Barry's going to die at Moss' hand.  It was a reverse Dallas.  They showed Barry's fantasy dream sequence as a way to show the future for the other characters, sans Sally.  Now, we zoom back to the present.  Moss bagged Barry at he and Sally's apartment at the end of S4E4. Sally's "Let's go" was the trigger for the start of Barry's dream.  Maybe she didn't really say that (and it was all in Barry's head), but, like Cousineau, she leads him to Moss and Moss takes it from there.

31 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

The timeframe for the "dream sequence" was probably less than an hour in real time, and Barry's going to die at Moss' hand.  It was a reverse Dallas.  They showed Barry's fantasy dream sequence as a way to show the future for the other characters, sans Sally.  Now, we zoom back to the present.  Moss bagged Barry at he and Sally's apartment at the end of S4E4. Sally's "Let's go" was the trigger for the start of Barry's dream.  Maybe she didn't really say that (and it was all in Barry's head), but, like Cousineau, she leads him to Moss and Moss takes it from there.

That seems like a solid guess to me.  Been scratching my head the past few episodes.  Like others have said, not feeling this season. 

Trust the process. This season is fantastic still.

My theory is that Moss' dad has some technique or psychological torture skill to hypnotize people (e.g. journalist speaking German) and the last two episodes was him screwing with Barry's mind, and projecting what a sordid, sucky future would look like, so to play ball and confess and cooperate.

The whole thing seems like dream sequence/hallucination (it has a very Mulholland Drive feel).  I thought it was Barry's, but now I'm thinking it may be Sally's.  The scene last week with the masked man/men and the wall being torn away were very dream like. I'm not sure when it began.  Last season?  After Barry comes back to her apartment after the prison break?

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The whole thing seems like dream sequence/hallucination (it has a very Mulholland Drive feel).  I thought it was Barry's, but now I'm thinking it may be Sally's.  The scene last week with the masked man/men and the wall being torn away were very dream like. I'm not sure when it began.  Last season?  After Barry comes back to her apartment after the prison break?

Yea, it's certainly something going on.

I love how the narcissism is such a disease that Couseneau can't help himself. He wants so much to be a good guy but he's so diseased with it that as soon as they start talking about big names he can't help himself with the tipping point being the Four Season in BH lololol.

Also, Sally Reed actress is killing it this season. 

there were tons of funny bits in this episode, and Hank was in top form.  One comedic bit I love in this show is when they show shenanigans in a wide shot off in the distance, like Hank's failed assault this episode or the "shoot em up" raid in season 2 or 3 (seasons are starting to run together for me).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

there were tons of funny bits in this episode, and Hank was in top form.  One comedic bit I love in this show is when they show shenanigans in a wide shot off in the distance, like Hank's failed assault this episode or the "shoot em up" raid in season 2 or 3 (seasons are starting to run together for me).

yeah, they love shit like that and it works every single time they do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah, when Couseneau is telling his agent about the interview and they go to a wide shot I knew the car was going to crash and started laughing even before it did. Then the added touch of metal dragging as the agent pulled away a few minutes later was the chef's kiss.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The whole brainstorming of how to keep the women from experiencing the next killing spree was hilarious.

That was a great scene.  Random, but perfectly played imo.  I have no idea what the guy said in Spanish but it worked so well with no further explanation.  And the way Root plays it straight just kills me

I'm sure I've probably posted this a dozen times on Shaggy/Surly, but Root's straight-man masterpiece has to be Super Karate Monkey Death Car.  Brilliant!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

That was a great scene.  Random, but perfectly played imo.  I have no idea what the guy said in Spanish but it worked so well with no further explanation.  And the way Root plays it straight just kills me

I'm sure I've probably posted this a dozen times on Shaggy/Surly, but Root's straight-man masterpiece has to be Super Karate Monkey Death Car.  Brilliant!

Is that Ron Jeremy in the audience?

"The Raven"'s turn has been fun this season. From when it dawned on him after getting the crap beat out of him and not saying anything everyone respected him to when he was released, you could envision the 8 years of working out and tattoos.

The funniest part of that whole sequence was a dirty from head to toe Hank leaving the old ladies house and the way he thanked for her for letting him use the phone implying he really got it on with the old lady and was chewing the fat on her plastic covered couch for some time, and his disgust once out of immediate sight for the full-bodied coca-cola.

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

The funniest part of that whole sequence was a dirty from head to toe Hank leaving the old ladies house and the way he thanked for her for letting him use the phone implying he really got it on with the old lady and was chewing the fat on her plastic covered couch for some time, and his disgust once out of immediate sight for the full-bodied coca-cola.

Yeah that was peak Hank (that and commenting on the foxiness of the decapitated hitman).  The audio from bouncing down the hill on the cell phone was great too.  

That whole scene was gold.  Once the rocket went off and did it's own thing, I lost my shit.  

• Haha 1

I don't know how you people have the time to watch every acclaimed or talked about show, between families and careers and other hobbies, as I can only handle about 3 or 4 shows in the offseason. 

I'm so glad that I happened to stumble upon Barry a few years ago and made it in the regular rotation because, much like JoJo Rabbit did as a movie, this show came out of nowhere and unexpectedly walloped me in the face and became my favorite show and series of the last decade.

Succession is cool and Ted Lasso is mid, but Barry...now Barry is S-tier.

Edited by HamsterHookah

On 5/22/2023 at 3:23 PM, Lurch said:

Just watched it and think I could make out: “jefe” “amor” and “más importante”, so I think he said something along the lines of “quit your yapping fellas the boss’ love(r) is more important”.

Ok ok, just trying to show off my shoddy Spanish. Your point is right, it didn’t actually matter. The scene was hilarious.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

I thought that was a pretty brilliant ending, but a lot of people won't get it.

Give me your interpretation please, because I take things at face value and I'm at a complete loss as to how a case could be made that put all the murders on fucking Cousineau.  And what about Jim Moss?  The guy fucking psychologically tortured a guy into speaking a completely different language but he couldn't get the "truth" out of Cousineau when he questioned him?  And what about Albert?  Albert saw Barry rolling a corpse into a grave right next to the grave of two other guys Barry murdered previously. 

Edited by TriStone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Yes. This.

Tour de Force, all around. Bill Hader has arrived.

HAHAHAHA.  OK.   This third season was the definition of MID 

1 hour ago, TriStone said:

Give me your interpretation please, because I take things at face value and I'm at a complete loss as to how a case could be made that put all the murders on fucking Cousineau.  And what about Jim Moss?  The guy fucking psychologically tortured a guy into speaking a completely different language but he couldn't get the "truth" out of Cousineau when he questioned him?  And what about Albert?  Albert saw Barry rolling a corpse into a grave right next to the grave of two other guys Barry murdered previously. 

office-michael.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoilers of course.

Great but not amazing ending. Pretty straight forward - if you come to terms with who you are - redeemed, if you don’t, not so much.

Completely agree that the Jim Moss storyline made no sense. No way he gets played like that.

We got great scenes from Fuches and Sally. Barry walking out and getting in to his car awkwardly with all that on his back was great.

I’m satisfied, but not texting all my TV friends “holy shit”.

• Hook 'Em 1