Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Solid ep 2. I wish this show was an hour instead of 1/2. 

Yep.  Episodes are too short.  When I started the show on HBO now last night, the time bar at the bottom of the screen said 31 minutes, then it went on a 5 minute long preview of Westworld before Barry even started.

Yep.  Episodes are too short.  When I started the show on HBO now last night, the time bar at the bottom of the screen said 31 minutes, then it went on a 5 minute long preview of Westworld before Barry even started.

Man, DVR shit and programming timing shit really lets me down at times. During ep1 my DVR shut the show off right after the hit took place. I thought it was strange so I set my DVR to re-record Barry and the following show. Sure as fuck there’s like three more minutes of the show. From now on I’ll set the DVR to record a few more minutes.

But why the hell is that even necessary?

21 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

Turns out I left out the best part. All of this show is right in my wheelhouse. 

Same.  On a Bill Simmons podcast, Hader compared Barry (the character) to William Munny and Travis Bickle.  Travis Bickle in a violent dark comedy? Yeah, I'll watch that.

Edited by CurlyDumps

not a huge bill hader fan (it's like he tries too hard to use his facial expressions to overcompensate for his lack of acting chomps), but i'm still in.  there's a love interest to keep it going, the chechen's are hilarious, and you got henry winkler and stephen root for interest and respect.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

They are coming to kloob us.

*kill

Not sure why that made me laugh so much.

Seriously.  I really liked this show after the first episode, but LOVED it after the second.   This was the thing that put it over the top for me.

And yeah, Henry Winkler is killing it as the drama teacher.  "You're all paying for today" was so great.

The tone of this show is really interesting.... it's definitely like a dark comedy, but then it's also a bit of a drama.  The teeth filing scene was a perfect example.... the violence was actully scary and real, but then Stephen Root spitting out white pasty reminents of his teeth made me LOL.

Seriously.  I really liked this show after the first episode, but LOVED it after the second.   This was the thing that put it over the top for me.
And yeah, Henry Winkler is killing it as the drama teacher.  "You're all paying for today" was so great.
The tone of this show is really interesting.... it's definitely like a dark comedy, but then it's also a bit of a drama.  The teeth filing scene was a perfect example.... the violence was actully scary and real, but then Stephen Root spitting out white pasty reminents of his teeth made me LOL.

Kind of similar to The Sopranos like that.

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

not a huge bill hader fan (it's like he tries too hard to use his facial expressions to overcompensate for his lack of acting chomps), but i'm still in.  there's a love interest to keep it going, the chechen's are hilarious, and you got henry winkler and stephen root for interest and respect.

acting chomps for the win.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 3:59 PM, Chewbacca said:

Anyone notice that the lead Chechen guy is Axe's lawyer from Billions?

That guy has played a "heavy" in quite a few things in the last 5-10 years.  I never noticed him until Billions, though, but have seen him in a number of things since noticing him.

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

The text messages are cracking me up. "BULLET DELIVERED!!!" with confetti had me rolling.

Yeah I haven't watched last night yet, but the text stuff is hilarious.  My favorite from last week was the whole "This is your mark (include pic).... Please let us know when he's dead.... Please delete these texts...."

That guy has played a "heavy" in quite a few things in the last 5-10 years.  I never noticed him until Billions, though, but have seen him in a number of things since noticing him.

And the lawn mowing flower making guy from True Detective. Just popped up in Waco too.

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Good show so far. Hader isn't my favorite, but the supporting cast makes it worth watching.

Well, he usually isn't my favorite but he is playing his part very well here. The straight guy for everyone else to play off of, a social recluse looking for something other than his violent past to be the center of his life. The elderly 45 year old assassin was a portrait of what he wants to avoid becoming.

Favorite jokes from the last ep:
Winkler’s story about taking a loaded gun to his Full House audition.
Chechen guy “subtly” snapping photos in public with his giant camera.
“Bonnie and the Boston Bombers”

I’ll add Winkler hitting on the cop too.

14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I like the show, but fear it won’t last long. 

Yeah this is kind of how I feel.  I reminds me of "Bored to Death" in a way.... I LOVED that show but it had a very specific sense of humor about it that wouldn't play to the masses... and I know HBO isn't all about the ratings and they do let smart shows breath a little... but I just worry Barry will suffer the same fate as Bored to Death... have a really strong cult following that loves it but won't be enough to carry on for multiple seasons... even on HBO.

On the specifics of this show, it's great. I've like each episode more than the previous.

Henry Winkler, Stephen Root and the bald/no eyebrows Chechnian guy are stealing every scene they are in.

Bill Hader is striking just the right balance of funny and drama. 

Also - CSB alert - the writer of Sunday's episode is friends w/ my girlfriend's sister. (He is one of Bill Hader's high school friends from Tulsa.)

On 4/4/2018 at 3:59 PM, Chewbacca said:

Anyone notice that the lead Chechen guy is Axe's lawyer from Billions?

He was also George Remus on Boardwalk Empire and the murderous retarded dude (Errol Childress) on True Detective Season 1. 

Edited by lateshow