Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

I was sufficiently whelmed with the ending. In early season 1 my wife and I were saying there was no way he could be redeemed where he could have a happy ending. I thought the twist outcome was a nice touch. I appreciate that we are getting shows that aren’t just “comedies” or “dramas” and that a show can morph from primarily more a comedy with moments of drama/shock in it to (as the stakes are upped) a drama with moments of comedy peppered in. I hope Hader does more “not everyone’s cup of tea” projects (and endings) like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good ending.  Everything Barry prayed for while sitting in the car kind of came about; he died (next day but whatever), John and Sally got out to a hopefully long and pious life, and with everything getting pinned on Fonzie, Barry was 'redeemed' enough to be considered a hero and get buried in Arlington.  I think Fuches got off way too lightly, though.  He was the real bastard here and 8 years in prison wasn't enough.  I question his intentions for taking John initially, and only letting him go when he saw Barry was about to storm the building and kill everyone inside like he did at the temple.  

Well now this and Succession are done, and the writers are on strike, and there's no football.  Shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not a fan of the entire season, last episode included.

To me, the show lost its way. It went from a dark comedy to just being dark with some comic relief sprinkled in there. It lost a lot of the absurdist shit that made it so good.

And I don't have a problem with the ending per se, but the execution made it seem more sad than funny or a sarcastic commentary on Hollywood. Pinning Janice's murder on Cousineau... ok, I can live with that. But the execution was ham fisted, as was the end of Hank. I dunno, it just fell flat to me. The show was better when it was more light hearted and Barry was just an unwitting idiot making his way through things. 

I think Barry got what he deserved, and i genuinely laughed when he got shot, saw Cousineau with the gun, and just said "oh wow". Just the way he said it was fucking perfect. Other than that.....yeah....didn't really care too much for where they took the last season.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TOR said:

Fonzie got a raw deal compared to Fuches.  

I didn't like Fonzie getting the rap for the murder.  I don't even understand what evidence there would be to pin it on him.  The $250,000 went from Barry to Fonzie, not the other way around - which you would expect in a scenario that Fonzie pays Barry to kill someone.  

To borrow a line from a famous lawyer - Johnny Cochran (on Southpark):  "that does not make sense!"

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I didn't like Fonzie getting the rap for the murder.  I don't even understand what evidence there would be to pin it on him.  The $250,000 went from Barry to Fonzie, not the other way around - which you would expect in a scenario that Fonzie pays Barry to kill someone.  

To borrow a line from a famous lawyer - Johnny Cochran (on Southpark):  "that does not make sense!"

Lol, of course, but as I often tell my wife when watching tv shows "it's not a documentary".  :)

Just enjoy the drama and the acting.  (it's taken me a long time to get to that point).

On 5/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Yea I thought so as well. I thought there was no case against Cousineau. And as others have said, it seems out of character for Moss' father to be fooled into believing the wrong thing. There's also the scene from earlier in the series where Moss does the "mind games" thing with Cousineau, where he locks him in the garage and yells at him, asking "why are you protecting Barry" or whatever. Seems like if Cousineau had anything to confess he'd have done it there.

Maybe the grief drove him crazy.

Edited by Pam Cummings

• 2 weeks later...

Fun ass show.

Didn't see that ending coming but happy with it. 

This thread has been funny to read alongside watching. 

Plenty of plot holes towards the end But I'm pleased with the overall journey and result. 

NoHo Hank stole this show.  I only wish he had lived somehow. 

Only big question is who was fucking with the Berkmans at the safe house?  Who stabbed the assassin in the eye?

• Hook 'Em 1

So nobody was after them?   Barry and Sally both hallucinate the knock on the door the night previous? 

Nobody was after them. The knock was real but it shows them overreact to an otherwise innocuous event, probably the neighbor kid pranking them

If they hadn't killed off... well, everybody, a NoHo-Chechen spinoff could have worked.  Their wacky adventures to take over the Los Angeles area crime syndicate and go legit.  Maybe web shorts.

Anthony Carrigan is pretty damn talented. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If they hadn't killed off... well, everybody, a NoHo-Chechen spinoff could have worked.  Their wacky adventures to take over the Los Angeles area crime syndicate and go legit.  Maybe web shorts.
Anthony Carrigan is pretty damn talented. 

They could easily squeeze it in the time period when Barry was in OK

Just watched S4 over the last week, one a night and watched the last 2 episodes tonight. That’s the way to do it. It’s built to binge - 30 minute episodes, 8 per season. I think Bill Hader is a freaking genius, and this series definitely shows his chops - prestige television is giving way to streaming as the dominant paradigm, and this is a show that is built to be watched over a month or a few weeks start to finish. When the writers strike is over he will be in demand. 

It was a great ride. My only criticism of the finale - wish it ended with the sudden fade to black when Barry got shot. 

• Like 4

On 6/17/2023 at 11:38 PM, hornian said:

Just watched S4 over the last week, one a night and watched the last 2 episodes tonight. That’s the way to do it. It’s built to binge - 30 minute episodes, 8 per season. I think Bill Hader is a freaking genius, and this series definitely shows his chops - prestige television is giving way to streaming as the dominant paradigm, and this is a show that is built to be watched over a month or a few weeks start to finish. When the writers strike is over he will be in demand. 

It was a great ride. My only criticism of the finale - wish it ended with the sudden fade to black when Barry got shot. 

Agree with everything up to the last point-- too derivative and too "Soprano's".

I think Hader wins an Oscar at some point in the short to medium term-- for director or actor. He flat out had a coming out party with this show.

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2023 at 11:38 PM, hornian said:

Just finished; I don't know how you binge this, it's DARK. 

Let me give you an alternative, less hopeful explanation for the final sequence than Sepinwall and others on the web that I've been reading this morning seemed to find. 

Say that the Mask Collector adaptation of the story required Sally's participation or her consent, and that she knew it'd be shifting the blame to Cousineau and she'd be living with that lie for the rest of her life.  The finale is one where all of our main characters are acknowledging the lies they've told themselves; she's both acknowledging it and then repeating it.  Maybe it's for the benefit of John, a way for her to personally move on, maybe it for money.  Either way it represents a repudiation of the main theme (and her personal hell; she gets none of the glory she previously sought instead re-embraces her delusions, so to speak).