Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

That could be true I just thought the looks on both of their faces seemed like there was confusion about the events of the night.  The flash froward could be him just dreaming or acting out beating him up/killing him.  But I wonder if he does kill him and then Sally finds out who he really is?

Could have been and she could be making it all up. Just saying that the only thing we know she embellished, at this point, is her "choke on this" line. I would not put it past her to make up drama, in the interest of furthering her career. 

I believe her friend confirmed the story or her being abused, but not her fighting back. Plus she looked afraid when she saw him.

yeah, i took it 100% that she was a battered wife, and finally took the brave step of leaving (no matter how it happened).  but in her mind, and her retelling herself, she bravely said in person all the things she probably has been saying over and over in her head.

this was one of the best episodes of the (very short) series.  so good, so funny.  i used to think hank was only good in small doses.  he was in it a lot yesterday and nailed it.

"north hollywood henry" new fantasy football team name i call it.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 10:47 PM, Nivek said:

I believe her friend confirmed the story or her being abused, but not her fighting back. Plus she looked afraid when she saw him.

Yeah she was clearly actually abused.

And she also clearly believes that she did tell the guy off because she wants so badly to have actually done it that she's made herself believe that it actually happened; which is something that happens all the time.

The human memory is very pliable, especially when trauma is involved.

That was awesome.  I was thinking that Barry was going to just take the detective down physically and grab the recorder and be done.  Which would have been pretty stupid from a show perspective but that took a turn.  I'm really interested in how the conversation goes with the guy who he tells to disappear for a year.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

holy shit that was awesome.

not entirely believable in the context of the story, but awesome nonetheless.

sometimes you gotta write yourself into a corner to write yourself out.

they definitely wrote themselves out of that corners.  fuchs is off the hook, barry stays out of jail 

has barry killed anyone this season?

12 hours ago, dbecks said:

That was quite the ending, even more so given the title of the episode.

Kinda confused as to why Fuchs all of the sudden has a change of heart and tries to help Barry, though.

This season has - as expected - been exceptional so far.

Fuchs has been inching towards this all along. The more he talked with Barry, the more he regretted agreeing to this. It progressively got harder for him. You really saw it in the next to last episode. He finally broke in this one.

So that was an amazing episode for so many reasons.

Barry has an amazing ability to dangle conventional "prestige TV" tropes in front of us and then actually end up doing something totally different.

They've been sending signals for two episodes that Sally is being partially (or mostly) untruthful about her domestic violence then we meet the guy and he's super charming and nice, essentially driving home this idea then -- whoops! -- he's actually a huge asshole.

The last scene was absolutely brilliant in how it painted the narrative into a corner and I (and most people watching I suspect) were expecting either Barry or Fuches to kill Detective Loach at that point then the whole "What?!" reveal.

I thought the brilliant writing was actually Winkler's character being self-aware to realize they are flawed human beings but both working to correct and his statement "if people can't changed, me and you are screwed" and you get this sense of progress and a recovery being undertaken and a journey and then BOOM; the ledger comment slaps you in the face with hilarious comedy as well as the cold water fact that nothing is changing or has changed or will change. Narcissism and selfishness is all Winkler will ever be and I thought it was the big reveal: in this show they are both screwed. They won't, and ultimately can't, change.

Also the character actor of Sally must be an awesome actress. She has the ability to be so dis-likable and make an attractive woman in a vacuum be so unattractive. Her personality and who is she as a person is so ugly that you don't see her as a pretty woman but a horrible thing to be avoided. She's like a modern day Skylar of Breaking Bad, a character everyone hated because the actress was so good at being unlikable.

I really enjoy the loud blaring horns and the Barry logo at the beginnings every week (reminds me of a Tarantino thing) but this week's was even better. "Nice to meet you Bobby", "It's..." horns blaring [BARRY] horns blaring. I appreciated that.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

I thought the brilliant writing was actually Winkler's character being self-aware to realize they are flawed human beings but both working to correct and his statement "if people can't changed, me and you are screwed" and you get this sense of progress and a recovery being undertaken and a journey and then BOOM; the ledger comment slaps you in the face with hilarious comedy as well as the cold water fact that nothing is changing or has changed or will change. Narcissism and selfishness is all Winkler will ever be and I thought it was the big reveal: in this show they are both screwed. They won't, and ultimately can't, change.

Also the character actor of Sally must be an awesome actress. She has the ability to be so dis-likable and make an attractive woman in a vacuum be so unattractive. Her personality and who is she as a person is so ugly that you don't see her as a pretty woman but a horrible thing to be avoided. She's like a modern day Skylar of Breaking Bad, a character everyone hated because the actress was so good at being unlikable.

I really enjoy the loud blaring horns and the Barry logo at the beginnings every week (reminds me of a Tarantino thing) but this week's was even better. "Nice to meet you Bobby", "It's..." horns blaring [BARRY] horns blaring. I appreciated that.

I thought the way they integrated the title sequence in the opening scene was extremely creative.

i'm kind of hoping you're wrong about barry and cousineau, and hope they can and do change.  the whole show is about barry changing, and so far he hasn't killed anyone yet, and is training his successor (who appears to be coming along nicely). cousineau seems to have just had the realization that he's a selfish asshole after Janice got killed.   what would be nice plotline to me is if barry and cousineau helped each other be the new people they both want to be.  barry could help him with his son, and cousineau could help him act out the secret killer he really is.

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I'm sort of fascinated by this.

Sally is someone who was physically and mentally abused in a relationship when she was in her early 20s and is quite obviously using acting and her over-the-top narcissism as a coping mechanism.

Skylar ended up being unhappy and had a bad attitude because she found out her husband of many years was a meth kingpin and murderer. 

But they are both "unlikable."  I'm not making any "woke" type judgement here because I tend to agree that the characters are not particularly likable. 

It's just sort of fascinating to me *why* we find these characters "unlikeble" but we *do* like certain characters who do actual terrible things.  Barry killing the lady cop and his vet buddy at the end of season 1 were both undeniably awful things to do; where as Sally's biggest "crime" is that she acts like a vapid, narcissistic millennial.... but we like Barry and don't like Sally... right?

58 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I thought the way they integrated the title sequence in the opening scene was extremely creative.

i'm kind of hoping you're wrong about barry and cousineau, and hope they can and do change.  the whole show is about barry changing, and so far he hasn't killed anyone yet, and is training his successor (who appears to be coming along nicely). cousineau seems to have just had the realization that he's a selfish asshole after Janice got killed.   what would be nice plotline to me is if barry and cousineau helped each other be the new people they both want to be.  barry could help him with his son, and cousineau could help him act out the secret killer he really is.

Yes but he *was* fully planning to kill Sam; and he would have done it if Sally hadn't been there.  

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm kind of hoping you're wrong about barry and cousineau, and hope they can and do change.  the whole show is about barry changing, and so far he hasn't killed anyone yet, and is training his successor (who appears to be coming along nicely).

I am thinking that the way the series ends is Barry finally becomes a "real boy". Just as he is finally at peace with his past, his student views him through a sniper scope.

7 minutes ago, bamachine said:

I am thinking that the way the series ends is Barry finally becomes a "real boy". Just as he is finally at peace with his past, his student views him through a sniper scope.

I never thought about that dude killing barry, or even putting him in his sights.  I do think its hilarious that pretty much everyone in the class has quit even trying, and they just stand around and laugh and clap the dude on the back for how great a shooter he is.  pretty much the exact same thing barry's soldier buddies did. 

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

I never thought about that dude killing barry, or even putting him in his sights.  I do think its hilarious that pretty much everyone in the class has quit even trying, and they just stand around and laugh and clap the dude on the back for how great a shooter he is.  pretty much the exact same thing barry's soldier buddies did. 

Barry Berk-Man clap clap clapclapclap

On 4/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, ajax said:

lolllllllll

Also "let me get my ledger"

That may have been the funniest moment in the series for me that did not involve Hank.  I was so wrapped up in the Hader/Winkler dynamic, and then he just mumbles some shit about alternative billing...and before I can register what is happening he goes with, "let me get my ledger" and I shake so hard from laughing I literally almost dropped a baby.  

weird shift in tone.  with the crouching tiger hidden 12 year old.  curious to see where they go with that.  I mean, the little girl has a face and a first name for Barry at least (Fuchs too?), but the detective is dead and this is so far removed from them, and she's a little girl, and maybe she doesn't talk?  Wacky episode.  Enjoyable as a standalone thing but I'm a little uncertain about it as far as if it's a direction the show is going.

I meant, maybe she doesn’t talk to the police.  Maybe she does and they don’t connect the dots (since they are pretty spread out) or maybe she doesn’t cause... she’s a crazy spider girl and is going to exact her own vengeance?  She already didn’t call the cops or alert a neighbor/adult.  Maybe Noho Hank can adopt her.  Weird fucking episode.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I meant, maybe she doesn’t talk to the police.  Maybe she does and they don’t connect the dots (since they are pretty spread out) or maybe she doesn’t cause... she’s a crazy spider girl and is going to exact her own vengeance?  She already didn’t call the cops or alert a neighbor/adult.  Maybe Noho Hank can adopt her.  Weird fucking episode.

Ahh, gotcha.