Barry: new HBO show

HiggyBaby

Just was reading some stuff about the episode. I guess the guy who played Ronnie is Daniel Bernhardt, who actually is an award-winning martial artist and he's a stunt man and fight choreographer from tons of movies, including the John Wick movies.

The whole reveal of his martial arts trophy room was so great... love Barry's... "oh...look you have medals too..." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

What would you have done differently?  Not saying the ep was perfect by any means, but it was entertaining as fuck and an interesting diversion from the usual.

i wouldn't have done a standalone fight episode revolving around a character (the cop's wife's boyfriend) in the first place, because it kills the momentum of the storyline that was doing so well all season.  season is only 8 episodes long, so this seemed unnecessary.

the initial fight with the dad was fine, because we were led to believe he was gonna pack and bounce, but then he didn't.  in real life, barry would've pulled his gun and finished him like a professional.  once he was down, i didn't need to see the girl flying through the air like a poorly made peter pan theater production.  i hate that shit.  it looked like some silly matrix or kung fu spoof.

barry is trying to avoid having to resort to his old life (violence), but keeps getting dragged back into it.  that's kinda the recurring theme and i like it.  he's trying to grow and evolve, and it was heading in a great direction, then it turned into a bad version of the raising arizona sequence and a basic bottle episode.  yeah, there were a few decent wisecracks from barry and fuches, but the whole thing went in circles.  also she didn't even see barry during the first fight.  they could've left when they just thought the dad was dead.

such an impressive twist at the end of the last episode, and this wasn't a great follow-up for me.  just one man's opinion.

• Like 1

This last episode was ridiculous but done in a way that was hilarious. Barry looking out the window and seeing the little girl jumping over fences and just saying "What the fuck?" was perfect. The whole situation was absurd but he just went with it.

The line "I thought you were a dog" killed me. That was the point the episode went down the rabbit hole. I was expecting a sad episode but the direction shifted so fast I forget the girl was a victim. I don't think the dad and daughter had more than two lines the entire episode, once they switched into terminator mode it was just grunting and growling.

There's no way Barry would have went in to the house without a gun.  Kung Fu boyfriend could have disarmed him and it would have been fine, but that part was even sillier than the girl moving like a superhero.

Edited by kevwun

It tap danced all along the line of silly/too silly but I think it came out on the right side of the line. As for why he did not have a piece, all along he was trying to save the guy's life, even after he got attacked. He was all about self-defense and immobilization not kill mode.

oh, don't get me wrong - i laughed several times.  it just interrupted what i thought was a really well done story arc.

since early this season, we all wondered (assuming moss was really dead and they weren't going to take us back in time before the cabin) how they were going to get through 3 full seasons when the heat was already this strong.  once the end scene last week, i thought, fuck yeah, they figured it out, and who knows where it'll go?!  but after this past episode, i'm now more like, "ok, we may have some silly filler to help get us to the finish line."

i'm sure i watch all shows with a more critical eye on things like character and structure, but this caught me off guard, and not in a good way.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

oh, don't get me wrong - i laughed several times.  it just interrupted what i thought was a really well done story arc.

since early this season, we all wondered (assuming moss was really dead and they weren't going to take us back in time before the cabin) how they were going to get through 3 full seasons when the heat was already this strong.  once the end scene last week, i thought, fuck yeah, they figured it out, and who knows where it'll go?!  but after this past episode, i'm now more like, "ok, we may have some silly filler to help get us to the finish line."

i'm sure i watch all shows with a more critical eye on things like character and structure, but this caught me off guard, and not in a good way.

Yes, I compared it to an out of cycle Sopranos ep 'Pine Barrens' that was part of a broader story arc, but was also more of an isolated episode.

I try not to criticize too much until I see the rest of the season to see how this fits in.

The absurdity of the girl's physical traits and the nod to shit like T2 (gif below) was too hilarious and unexpected to not make an impact.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Surly is a fickle beast. I thought it was hilarious and laughed my ass off.

Yeah the entire episode was hilarious. Everyone should have known they were in for a weird ride once she was seen flipping over fences. Hell, even the initial interaction with the dad was odd.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:49 PM, bamachine said:

It tap danced all along the line of silly/too silly but I think it came out on the right side of the line.

This was my thought.  It was like Raising Arizona but with a mongoose from hell instead of a warthog.  I've never laughed so hard as when she chomped down on Fuches' face.

27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This show keeps getting better. Hader directed the last episode and it was great.

I noticed that as well. Was that his first one? If so maybe why the change of tone.

I laughed when he tried to calm him down wearing that orange Deadpool outfit  "Dude, you're windpipe is cracked, you're fucked" or something like that.

3 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I noticed that as well. Was that his first one? If so maybe why the change of tone.

I laughed when he tried to calm him down wearing that orange Deadpool outfit  "Dude, you're windpipe is cracked, you're fucked" or something like that.

he has 5 directing credits for the series.  i think 4 have aired.

You’d think dipshit cop would have mentioned that the guy is a fucking ninja. Not griping, it for the character for him to not know (not have found out) or not relay important information for a contract killer. But that cracked me up, Barry with the realization.

That was a great episode. My favorite in the series so far. I started laughing as soon as I saw him in the ski mask, and then it went to 11 with the girl. I haven’t laughed that much in a while. 

Same here. That episode was awesome.

I am betting one of the other episodes that he directed was the episode where he gets saved by the Leeroy Jenkins character(can't recall the guy's name, the dude that helped him take down the stash house). I bet he wants to make his character a little less like a tank while other directors want to make him indestructible. 

Nope. Hader directed the first 3 episodes of the first season. He also directed the last episode of season 2.

Watched it again last night and it's even funnier the second time around. First time around I was worried about the girl. Now that I know shes a terminator I could enjoy it more.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:51 PM, Celery Man said:

weird shift in tone.  with the crouching tiger hidden 12 year old.  curious to see where they go with that.  I mean, the little girl has a face and a first name for Barry at least (Fuchs too?), but the detective is dead and this is so far removed from them, and she's a little girl, and maybe she doesn't talk?  Wacky episode.  Enjoyable as a standalone thing but I'm a little uncertain about it as far as if it's a direction the show is going.

On 4/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, SizzleChest said:

If they try to turn the kid into the Russian in the woods, I'm going to be disappointed.

Beat me to it.

300px-Sopranos_ep311.jpg

3 hours ago, bamachine said:

I am betting one of the other episodes that he directed was the episode where he gets saved by the Leeroy Jenkins character(can't recall the guy's name, the dude that helped him take down the stash house). I bet he wants to make his character a little less like a tank while other directors want to make him indestructible. 

well he also co-created and writes on most episodes.  most of what you're describing isn't really the director's call (in television format).  tv is a writer's medium (or show-runner's).

I personally loved this episode; funniest (e.g. “laughing out loud”) of the series which is interesting because NoHo hank is the funniest pound for pound (winkler a close second) and he was nowhere.

I thought Fuchs was funny and two points I thought were well made that kept the series arc and emotional journey moving forward:

- The dream sequence where the army guys come back to a loved one and you see Fuchs nod his head as if to say “come over here” and Barry recounting this and hesitating wondering if he should have taken the other path in that fork in the road and then at the very end you have Fuchs do the same head nod telling Barry to get into the car and we are left with his hesitation; will he make the same choice or take the path (he’s) less traveled? 

- Fuchs character was subtly paralleled with Winklers here showing Barry is an object to these two older men who only care about themselves. Where winkler got his ledger, Fuchs dropped everything to get his version of the ledger when hearing about the heroin and stash house before being interrupted by the girl jumping on the car if memory serves. The attempts as far as I can see is Barry as a lost and easily influenced victim being shaped by narcissist and sociopaths who claim to want the best for him but only care for themselves and he’s trying to detox from killing on his own with little support.

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Good take. Is there anyone on this show was isn't a narcissist and sociopath? I guess lady cop wasn't, but she dead. And Taylor wasn't. He was a psychopath.

Having it set in LA, in the middle of ground zero/Patient X of narcissism that is the burgeoning and wannabe's of Hollywood means you are going to be infested with narcissistic characters, I guess?

On 4/29/2019 at 8:51 PM, TexasMan said:

I never knew you could die from a kick. 

People die all the time from blunt force trauma to the head, including just being punched. 

I have to think that a round-house kick to the temple from a Taekwondo champion would probably do the trick.