Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max crashes killing 157

Nueces River Rat

https://apnews.com/537d562d9fd94cbd86e708dbb2ed3a55

Boeing needs to ground the 737 Max like right now to figure out what the heck  is going on.   Second such crash in less than six months involving brand new planes.    I wonder how many Southwest has in their fleet?  

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) — An Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed shortly after takeoff from Ethiopia’s capital on Sunday morning, killing all 157 on board, authorities said, as grieving families rushed to airports in Addis Ababa and the destination, Nairobi. More than 30 nationalities are among the dead.

It was not immediately clear what caused the crash of the Boeing 737-8 MAX plane, which was new and had been delivered to the airline in November. The pilot sent out a distress call and was given clearance to return, the airline’s CEO told reporters.

The state-owned Ethiopian Airlines, widely considered the best-managed airline in Africa, calls itself Africa’s largest carrier and has ambitions of becoming the gateway to the continent. It is known as an early buyer of new aircraft as it assertively expands.

15 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Saw this, yeah. Awful.

There's no fucking way I'm ever getting on a plane with the name of a second/third world country on it, or from it.  Ever.  I'll fucking walk.  I don't care if it takes 23 years to get there.

Never.

That was my first thought, but doing a quick search and Ethiopian actually has a decent safety record.  Three major  crashes since 1945 including this one which resulted in 500 people killed.    One of them was a hi jacking and the plane ran out of fuel and plunged into the ocean.  

Since this was the second 737 Max to crash after take off and both planes being brand new, this suggests something else is at play.    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That was my first thought, but doing a quick search and Ethiopian actually has a decent safety record.  Three major  crashes since 1945 including this one which resulted in 500 people killed.    One of them was a hi jacking and the plane ran out of fuel and plunged into the ocean.  

Since this was the second 737 Max to crash after take off and both planes being brand new, this suggests something else is at play.    

Southwest has a fair number of them. You can’t go to one of their bases without seeing at least 1 or 2 on a gate. 

There may be s problem with the plane, but I tend to agree with phd. SWA is flying them 5-6 legs a day every day and not crashing them. It could be that they haven’t run into some sinister killer flaw yet. Or it could be that they are better trained and maintained. Or it could be something else. Time will tell.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

https://apnews.com/537d562d9fd94cbd86e708dbb2ed3a55

Boeing needs to ground the 737 Max like right now to figure out what the heck  is going on.   Second such crash in less than six months involving brand new planes.    I wonder how many Southwest has in their fleet?  

what-site-changes-do.jpg

• Like 1

SWA isn’t using the Max8s to Hawaii. They are using the standard 737-800s. Non Max. For now anyway.  It’s because they  started all the ETOPS certification  before there were many MAXs on property. Only the 800s are certified right now.  That will certainly change soon but the first few flights shouldn’t be MAXs

Edited by Your Mom

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Getting on, or in rather, a couple of planes today. Glad the crash is out of the way, the odds of two crashes in one day seem remote. 

Hate to say this to you, but that’s not how it works.

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Saw this, yeah. Awful.

There's no fucking way I'm ever getting on a plane with the name of a second/third world country on it, or from it.  Ever.  I'll fucking walk.  I don't care if it takes 23 years to get there.

Never.

The problem is when when you want to travel between 3rd world countries. The road option may be much more dangerous.  And flying a major carrier could involve flying out of the continent and back.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The problem is when when you want to travel between 3rd world countries. The road option may be much more dangerous.  And flying a major carrier could involve flying out of the continent and back.

Simple stay the hell out of 3rd world nations

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

We have maybe 10 airframes thus far of 165 ordered give or take. I've flown the thing maybe 5 times, but haven't seen it in 6 weeks. Currently on vacation, but my first trip after is with a MAX. Thoughts and prayers.

The thought of getting on a plane the captain has flown “maybe 5 times” is comforting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

The thought of getting on a plane the captain has flown “maybe 5 times” is comforting.

You realize that when an airline pilot finishes training on a new plane, whether that  be initial or upgrade, that there comes a time when they’ve flown the actual plane  0 times before and now have a hundred to two hundred or more passengers behind them right?  There’s a qualified check pilot sitting next to them to assuage your fears. 

Not flying a sub type very often is no big deal. 

Saw this earlier.

JAMAICA, Queens (WABC) -- 30 people were injured after heavy turbulence on board a Turkish Airlines flight from Istanbul that landed at JFK Airport on Saturday evening, officials say. 

28 passengers and two crew members were being evaluated on the scene for non-life threatening injuries just before 6 p.m. Ten people were taken to the hospital. Some passengers hit their heads on the ceiling of the plane. 

Passengers say the heart-pounding turbulence lasted for about six minutes. When it was over, every other row had someone either injured or bleeding. Officials say severe turbulence caused bruises, cuts, a broken leg and gashes on some passengers' heads. 

An apparent airline crew member was seen limping out of the terminal with a bandage around his leg. 

Several small children were also in need of medical attention. 

The plane with 326 passengers on board was over Maine when it happened. 

6 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Southwest has a fair number of them. You can’t go to one of their bases without seeing at least 1 or 2 on a gate. 

There may be s problem with the plane, but I tend to agree with phd. SWA is flying them 5-6 legs a day every day and not crashing them. It could be that they haven’t run into some sinister killer flaw yet. Or it could be that they are better trained and maintained. Or it could be something else. Time will tell.  

Either he's dead or alive, or the cops got him or they don't.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

why not both

American pilots circa 70s to maybe now-ish are some of the best trained mofos at any job ever. in someplace like Ethiopia their pilots don't have nearly the trigger time to become bad asses like Scully. and their regulations tend to be lighter, either in design or practice. toss in a new plane with potentially awkward designs or something slightly fucking wrong in the design and boom

good reason it hasn't happened in the US yet but still needs some serious looking into. 

19 minutes ago, staboner said:

why not both

American pilots circa 70s to maybe now-ish are some of the best trained mofos at any job ever. in someplace like Ethiopia their pilots don't have nearly the trigger time to become bad asses like Scully. and their regulations tend to be lighter, either in design or practice. toss in a new plane with potentially awkward designs or something slightly fucking wrong in the design and boom

good reason it hasn't happened in the US yet but still needs some serious looking into. 

Well, all this talk of superior pilots is nice, but there’s not even been an episode where superior piloting has been called upon to save a US Max from otherwise crashing. We’re talking about a company at SWA who has probably put the most cycles and time on the Max to date, and not a hint of issues.  

The 737 is an extremely mature airframe and they didn’t fool with it much to update it to a MAX. We’ll eventually see what the cause was, but it raises your eyebrows when the accidents keep happening at East Jesus Air and not at a US legacy.

• Like 1

Going to Peru in May. As soon as I heard it was 737 MAX crash...

1. Check my itinerary for aircraft type;

2. Find out it’s a 737-700;

3. Fuck;

4. Read wiki pages to find out if 737-700 the same thing as a 737 MAX;

5. It’s not. 

6. Whew. 

Bernard