Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max crashes killing 157

Nueces River Rat

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Am I more likely to crash on takeoff, full of fuel and die in a horrific fire, or crash just short of landing as we run out of petrol?

80/20 is how I see it 

Takeoff heavy is a bad, bad thing. You can always glide to a landing with no fuel and the chance of fire is greatly reduced when you break up.

Edited by RPM

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Takeoff heavy is a bad, bad thing. You can always glide to a landing with no fuel and the chance of fire is greatly reduced when you break up.

yeah but just think of all the money you'd save your family on cremation

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

What is the burn rate of jet fuel, fast idling on a runway? Asking for 180 friends (including crew)
Please reply in lbs, thanks

Looks like a gallon weighs about 6 pounds, so they need to burn about 83 gallons. In flight, it burns 5 gallons per mile so about 15 minutes. Can’t find anything that shows fuel efficiency on the ground though. I’d assume at least 2-3 times longer, but if that were the case I’d imagine it would be faster to return to the gate to drain. Maybe a fast idle is less efficient than cruising speed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wish me luck, the 737-800 that I'm on is overweight, because they had to change to a shorter runway. We are sitting here, supposedly burning off 500 lbs of fuel. Then we go....what could go wrong?

“We have some food vouchers for two overweight volunteers to take a later flight…”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

What is the burn rate of jet fuel, fast idling on a runway? Asking for 180 friends (including crew)

Please reply in lbs, thanks

Our standard planning is 400lbs from engine start to TO. Sometimes dispatchers will add extra fuel anticipating long taxis or delays and when it doesn’t happen you’re sometimes over the maximum takeoff for the runway for the given day. 

With two engines running and maybe the APU as well it doesn’t take long to burn that gas. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1

In seriousness the shorter runway = less weight is actually to ensure you have enough runway to STOP in case an engine blows exactly at the go/no-go point.  This is a legal requirement and means you’re going to die at the end of the runway when the brakes fail and the impact crushes that rig like a beer can.  
image.gif.fec96998c3362a60aa6fec97fc28d1fe.gif

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

In seriousness the shorter runway = less weight is actually to ensure you have enough runway to STOP in case an engine blows exactly at the go/no-go point.  This is a legal requirement and means you’re going to die at the end of the runway when the brakes fail and the impact crushes that rig like a beer can.  
image.gif.fec96998c3362a60aa6fec97fc28d1fe.gif

Unless there’s EMASWA installed. 

FURK!!!
Flying sucks these days, late out of SeaTac today due to fueling problems. But that really doesn't matter because my connection in Chicago was cancelled due to weather (about a dozen flights cancelled) and now I have 6+ hours to sit around here until the last flight of the day & I hate counting the last flight of the day.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

For his sake, I hope it's all the way and not most of the way.

if there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that if he only gets most of the way, it's 100% the pilot's fault for failing to bring enough BDE to overcome foundational engineering errors in the design of the aircraft

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

if there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that if he only gets most of the way, it's 100% the pilot's fault for failing to bring enough BDE to overcome foundational engineering errors in the design of the aircraft

You didn’t learn anything from this thread, obviously.

2 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Frontline last night was fascinating. How MCAS was only tied to one of the AOA sensors seems criminal.

It pretty much puts the whole a good pilot doesn't have any worries with the previously designed system to bed without any supper....

Everything Boeing did was criminally actionable from the start, and the FAA completely shit the bed on oversight.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 5 weeks later...

giphy.gif

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/14/1046198912/boeing-test-pilot-indicted-737-max-mark-forkner

DALLAS — A Boeing pilot involved in testing the 737 Max jetliner was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury on charges of deceiving safety regulators who were evaluating the plane, which was later involved in two deadly crashes.

The indictment accuses Mark A. Forkner of giving the Federal Aviation Administration false and incomplete information about an automated flight-control system that played a role in the crashes, which killed 346 people.

Boeing Pilots Detected 737 Max Flight Control Glitch 2 Years Before Deadly Crash
NATIONAL
Boeing Pilots Detected 737 Max Flight Control Glitch 2 Years Before Deadly Crash
Prosecutors said that because of Forkner's "alleged deception," the system was not mentioned in key FAA documents, pilot manuals or pilot-training material supplied to airlines.

The flight-control system automatically pushed down the noses of Max jets that crashed in 2018 in Indonesia and 2019 in Ethiopia. The pilots tried unsuccessfully to regain control, but both planes went into nosedives minutes after taking off. Most pilots were unaware of the system, called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, until after the first crash.

Forkner, 49, was charged with two counts of fraud involving aircraft parts in interstate commerce and four counts of wire fraud. Federal prosecutors said he is expected to make his first appearance in court on Friday in Fort Worth, Texas. If convicted on all counts, he could face a sentence of up to 100 years in prison.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

giphy.gif

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/14/1046198912/boeing-test-pilot-indicted-737-max-mark-forkner

DALLAS — A Boeing pilot involved in testing the 737 Max jetliner was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury on charges of deceiving safety regulators who were evaluating the plane, which was later involved in two deadly crashes.

The indictment accuses Mark A. Forkner of giving the Federal Aviation Administration false and incomplete information about an automated flight-control system that played a role in the crashes, which killed 346 people.

NATIONAL
Prosecutors said that because of Forkner's "alleged deception," the system was not mentioned in key FAA documents, pilot manuals or pilot-training material supplied to airlines.

The flight-control system automatically pushed down the noses of Max jets that crashed in 2018 in Indonesia and 2019 in Ethiopia. The pilots tried unsuccessfully to regain control, but both planes went into nosedives minutes after taking off. Most pilots were unaware of the system, called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, until after the first crash.

Forkner, 49, was charged with two counts of fraud involving aircraft parts in interstate commerce and four counts of wire fraud. Federal prosecutors said he is expected to make his first appearance in court on Friday in Fort Worth, Texas. If convicted on all counts, he could face a sentence of up to 100 years in prison.

Why tf would he do this and why would he think he'd get away with i?

Why tf would he do this and why would he think he'd get away with i?

My guess is because it’s a culture, a standing operating procedure as a monopoly has power over the agency intended to regulate it. It’s just that his actions may have caused the deaths of hundreds of people.

It’s also my guess they’re squeezing him in order to compel his testimony against others. This based on actions and evidence against Boeing, as they sought to steamroll this unsound aircraft into the air.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Just now, HenryJames said:

Well, I mean....that's probably not wrong.  But....what about the excruciating moments of abject terror and pants-shitting as they realized they were about to auger in?  If you're gonna discount the pain because the death itself was instantaneous, my recollection is that you also have to account for the complete and total "I'm going to die" terror they experienced for a shitload longer than anyone wants to experience such things?  I dunno.  I ain't a PI lawyer.