Beto 2020

bad_teammate

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Are you a gun owner?

Yes.  Probably a lot by your standards. 

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you own ARs or AKs?

Not until about 2 weeks ago. Well I guess I don’t have them in hand, but Larue has a few thousand of my dollars. No AKs. No want for one. 

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do you know people who do?

I can think of 2 people that I would consider close friends (that are gun owners) that do not have an AR. I know more people that have >2 than have 0.  I don’t know anyone that has an AK that I can think of. Most have a 556/Wylde, a 300BO, and a 10.  They make great platforms for kids to hunt, and most of my friends have 5-12yo kids.  That’s the majority reason I put in an order a couple weeks ago, my oldest is starting to deer hunt with me but she can’t handle a non-collapsible stock. 

Not a single one would “go rogue”.   I would guess at least half of them would bury/hide them until it was legal to own again.  But no one would go Waco/seditionist capitol asshole.  But every fucking one would make sure they donate, GOTV, etc if it ever became a real threat.   But is it a threat?  I mean beating Ted Cruz is a layup akin to beating Hillary.  All the textbook Spanish in the world couldn’t even help. 

I do find it funny you quadrupling down on your assumptions about minority ownership.  Some of the biggest ammunition makers in the world can’t keep up demand right now and I’m certain you think it’s the same 10 white guys buying it up.  

I also think gun laws should be more strict. We need to take a serious look at how simple they are to acquire. 

Now show me that part where they’re cool with someone coming and removing particular guns from them. Because I’m pretty fucking sure that’s going to be an issue with lots, and lots of folks of all colors. 
Getting existing guns seized is never happening so sleep well. It's not feasible.
It's like banning all abortions
Just not happening
If you get wound up about it you are getting played by someone with other intent. Like having you vote for Ted Cruz despite your lying eyes watching him be a reptile constantly.

Ted cruz is a reptilian piece of shit freak whose children are repelled by him
And he represents zero Texas values
/Sees Pandering bacon video with guns/
- Votes cruz and donates
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Like having you vote for Ted Cruz despite your lying eyes watching him be a reptile constantly.

I didn’t vote for Cruz because anything Beto did wrt gun control. At that point, he was still telling us he was a 2nd A guy.   I held my nose and voted for Cruz because I’m not interested in Texas being a blue state.  I’d prefer it to be center right. It may be heading blue with demographic shifts, but I didn’t see any reason to contribute to it. 

I didn’t vote for Cruz because anything Beto did wrt gun control. At that point, he was still telling us he was a 2nd A guy.   I held my nose and voted for Cruz because I’m not interested in Texas being a blue state.  I’d prefer it to be center right. It may be heading blue with demographic shifts, but I didn’t see any reason to contribute to it. 

See the article I posted earlier. Beto ran on some pretty serious gun control policies in 2018.
He didn't run as a 2a guy at all.

What I did see was him go into small towns and engage with locks and listen on real issues and start a dialogue instead of Tea party foolishness. You may be cynical but is that so scary vs Ted Cruz and Dana Goebe?

You may fear Texas turning Blue, but you don't state why? What's the fear? Honest ?

Because the market is driving the Blue Shift, not democrats in Texas. Hippies and Beto didn't get all those windfarms built, and all the oil and gas platforms like Tequila (rip) torn down- that was straight capitalism.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

moronic Trumpkins who keep talking about "yeah, the storm is comin', and we'll shoot all them libs!"  They have the same idiotic misconception - that "liberal" voters in Texas are all the Obama pajama boy

Agree 100%.

The national message ignores the bespoke messaging necessary for Texas culture. It is almost a de-Texasification of media as we knew it.

Spoiler

Here's the gloom for me. Trumpkins have no idea what liberal means in the classical sense, let alone modern American usage. And they have no clue who owns the label within the Democratic Party divisions. There is a critical knowledge deficit there. And that creates long term structural weaknesses in lighting the candle on the people in this nation.  Time is not on our side.

Fox and right wing politics did a number on a wide swath of people, which is just awful for them and for us.  

In sum, there are significant gaps in development. They only widen the gorge. We need bridges. 

14 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

You may fear Texas turning Blue, but you don't state why? What's the fear? Honest ?

Because it’s not my politics.  My fear is because once Texas goes, it’s game over for conservatives at the federal level. Pretty simple shit. 

14 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Hippies and Beto didn't get all those windfarms built, and all the oil and gas platforms like Tequila (rip) torn down- that was straight capitalism.

I personally managed the removal of about 125 of them in a past life.  I understand plenty about the economics of offshore platforms from preFID all the way to when the hit the train to be melted.  Pipelines too.   I don’t know shit about land based windmills, tho. My only experience is they made turkeys disappear off a ranch I used to hunt but made the guys neighbor rich(er).  

ETA: can you direct me towards your link. I’m not finding it. 

Edited by fattyflattie

I personally managed the removal of about 125 of them in a past life.  I understand plenty about the economics of offshore platforms from preFID all the way to when the hit the train to be melted.  Pipelines too.   I don’t know shit about land based windmills, tho. My only experience is they made turkeys disappear off a ranch I used to hunt but made the guys neighbor rich(er).  

Second try

https://www.chron.com/politics/texas/article/Beto-O-Rourke-talks-gun-control-at-Houston-12810246.php

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018/03/09/where-ted-cruz-and-beto-o-rourke-stand-in-the-debate-over-gun-control/

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Is your user name an homage making fun of Beto? That's hilarious, if not, on a Beto thread.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Also Turkeys are a horrible harbinger of land manangement just in general ..

They are crazy birds . And drive grown men straight ass crazy.

I wouldn't assign policy to thier vagurities nor land manangement

Is your user name an homage making fun of Beto? That's hilarious, if not, on a Beto thread.
No my father is from the future. My birth name was Bourne 2-Run.
It was an awful movie my Father Bourne 1 traveled back from the future to destoy and save the reasonable Bourne Identity Series amid his real mission to save us all from hideous AI army rebellion of 2026
I think he lost : (
Haven't heard from him in years so we are likely fucked but I missed the film I was named after. I later took on the name of the Bruce Springsteen Autobiography whilst living in a small Berkeley Book Store to get chicks with hairy armpits .
That didn't go too well
only several years later learning it was a popular American music song that some babes dug
When I let em know
" Tramps like us babe "
Then handed over our Greyhound tickets

Aww yeah

20 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

There was a quote on NPR yesterday where he didn't deny that he might run for Governor. So he's running for Governor. 

Don Quixote had a better shot against his windmills. 

If it's a match up of Beto against windmills and Abbott against trees all I'm saying is one of them has a career 0-1 record against their opponent.

• Haha 1

Beto has zero chance.  He is not like Stacey Abrams because Texas is not like Georgia.

Beto has 4 realistic political options:

Stalk Cruz again

Run for Rep again

Lobby for a position in the 2024 presidential admin

Continue his texas gotv work for another 12 years

He has zero chance of beating Abbott.

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes.  Probably a lot by your standards. 

I have two stamped weapons and well over a dozen stored in two different states. Lots of guns myself, including far too many ARs (as you know, they just kind of make friends), which are my favorite. It would take quite a bit to surprise me.

I ask because I am in gun life and have been for many decades. I've shot clays and even done marksmanship. Not really a hunter anymore (age), but I hit shows every so often and the ranges and such. You know what I don't see very often and haven't in my decades? More than a sprinkling of non-whites and/or women. Or anyone left of W.

Gun owners dominate the mental space of politicians and the politically obsessed, but they/WE don't actually dominate the streets. And we sure as hell don't dominate the D voter rolls.

Not until about 2 weeks ago. Well I guess I don’t have them in hand, but Larue has a few thousand of my dollars. 

OK so you're not actually really in the life. Which is good. Don't be, it's a waste of time and money.

I can think of 2 people that I would consider close friends (that are gun owners) that do not have an AR. I know more people that have >2 than have 0.

Excellent.

1) Do you live somewhere that you would say, "This is an area rich for Dems to mine votes?"
2) Are your friends people who are either Dems or easily winnable?

Because if the answer to either is "no" then all of your experiential and anecdotal observations are worthless.

I mean beating Ted Cruz is a layup akin to beating Hillary. 

Winning as a Dem isn't a layup. Who has done better than Beto at that level in Texas in 30 years?

I do find it funny you quadrupling down on your assumptions about minority ownership.  Some of the biggest ammunition makers in the world can’t keep up demand right now and I’m certain you think it’s the same 10 white guys buying it up.  

The numbers and statistics are what they are regardless of anecdotes or attempts to use rhetoric to paper over lack of evidence. I've been online too long for this kind of provocation to goad.

Latinos and blacks are not gun-focused voters, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the specific call that Beto made regarding ARs and AKs.

- This doesn't mean Latinos and blacks don't have guns, of course they do.
- This doesn't mean Latinos and blacks don't like the guns they have.

This is about voting blocs. Keep your attention span level.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....no.

You're missing the huge swath of Texas hispanics, especially in S. Texas, who are gun owners, user, hunters, etc.  Don't forget rural black folks (often referred to as "country") who are similar.  And shit, my wife -- who is pretty damned liberal - just today was pushing back against the hardcore "anti-gun" narrative that is popping up in Austin after the horrific murder of the doctor this week.

Will those South TX Hispanics who voted for Trump in 2020 so up to vote when Trump isn’t on the ballot and small businesses weren’t decimated by COVID? I think turnout will certainly be lower in 2022.

As a gun-owner, I wish Beto had not discussed taking guns away from people. I think we can have great conversations about reasonable gun control measures (eg, universal background checks, res flag laws, etc). When you start talking about confiscating property from largely law abiding folks, that’s a problem.

I won’t be a one-issue voter but that could end up being the difference.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I am a gun owner. I am a liberal. I will support and vote for Beto.

Impossible. You can only be a gun fetishizing American patriot Republican or a gun hating soy boy libtard.

You can’t be a reasonable gun owner who supports common sense gun control Bc you don’t jerk off to dead kids in classrooms, churches or malls while using thoughts and prayers as lube. Thems the rules 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Impossible. You can only be a gun fetishizing American patriot Republican or a gun hating soy boy libtard.

You can’t be a reasonable gun owner who supports common sense gun control Bc you don’t jerk off to dead kids in classrooms, churches or malls while using thoughts and prayers as lube. Thems the rules 

I’m a gun owner and hunter, I’m a republican, and I am for responsible, reasonable gun reform. 

Pragmatically, this is a both sides issue as long as it’s not pushed to extremes. Politically, however, I can see it being left on the bench for politician reasons.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

ARs/AKs are that big of a deal for you? Or do you think he intends to come for all of them?

He doesn’t intend to come for all of them. I know that. I don’t actually care if they ban the sale of ARs/AKs going forward. It’s taking people’s property away that I have an issue with.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

This isn't south of I-10, but Texas Latinos favor stricter gun laws... by a lot.

At 80%, the vast majority of Texas Latinos surveyed agreed that stricter gun laws are necessary, with only 5% saying they felt gun laws should be less restrictive. Additionally, 60% believe the NRA yields too much influence on US gun policy.

I don’t remember the exact quote but Beto’s rhetoric went beyond some vague idea of stricter gun laws

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Politically, however, I can see it being left on the bench for politician reasons.

30 years of Democratic failure in Texas says otherwise.

We've tried every kind of way to hide from the issue or waffle on the issue or couch the issue. Doesn't work.

The Dems will keep doing it because they are absolute cowards, but it doesn't work.

57 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Beto’s best chance if he runs is for the carpetbagger to win the Republican primary. If he truly is the presumptive Dem nominee his supporters should go all in on helping Chad get the nomination 

I hope it doesn’t come to this, but it might. Dems can vote in the Republican primary. 

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Gross.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Beto’s best chance if he runs is for the carpetbagger to win the Republican primary. If he truly is the presumptive Dem nominee his supporters should go all in on helping Chad get the nomination 

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hope it doesn’t come to this, but it might. Dems can vote in the Republican primary. 

no more 5D chess plz

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

OK so you're not actually really in the life. Which is good. Don't be, it's a waste of time and money.

In the “AR life”?  No.  I purchased a few recently to help with my daughters inability to handle a non-collapsible stock (and obviously to help with recoil).  Since she has 2 little sisters, and I feel they might be more difficult to obtain soon, I went ahead and made the purchase.  

No, my passion is high end rifles and shotguns.  All but maybe 10 (firearms I inherited) have AAA+ wood, the deepest of bluing, etc.   I still have many that aren’t custom jobs, but the ratio is lessening every day. Had my oldest not taken up such an affinity for hunting with me this last year, I likely wouldn’t have picked up those ARs. Believe me, I would have rather put the $$$ towards my (hopefully) next space filler, a new(ish) Perazzi. 

Not caring about ARs doesn’t mean I don’t have a major fucking issue with the thought of removing property after the fact.   What’s next, my 30 carbine and Garand?  Because I have a few of those and they mean a whole fucking hell of a lot more to me than any AR.   Don’t know if that qualifies as being in the “gun life” or not. 

16 hours ago, Born to Run said:

They are crazy birds . And drive grown men straight ass crazy.

Preach. 

On 1/29/2021 at 3:36 PM, tantric superman said:

Beto got beat by the biggest asshole in the history of Texas.  He's not going to win statewide against your run of the mill asshole.

Never forget. 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, bad_teammate said:

30 years of Democratic failure in Texas says otherwise.

We've tried every kind of way to hide from the issue or waffle on the issue or couch the issue. Doesn't work.

The Dems will keep doing it because they are absolute cowards, but it doesn't work.

I was talking about my side of the aisle. I think it’s pragmatic politics because a lot of constituents are reasonable, serious men like me, but as you said the Dems keep stepping on themselves so there’s no reason to address it, politically.

Its like putting 8 men in the box and stuffing your run because you haven’t proven to be able to throw the ball. Why stop until you change your strategy, which is exactly what you are suggesting.

The alternative is you are happy with 1.8 ypc rushing and think that’s acceptable.

• 3 months later...
Guest Lobo

So my choices on a general election ballot might be Allen West, Robert O'Rourke, and Matthew McConaughey?  

While Matthew is handsome, Beto is passionate, and Allen is a veteran.  The three of them should never be allowed to be in charge of that many critical political appointments.  Neither should Abbott, in hindsight, for that matter.  

Surely one of the two major parties can find a moderate woman candidate to run?  While I would prefer O'Rourke to a lunatic like Huffhines, I don't see what he's going to do differently in 2022 that he couldn't pull off in 2018?  Abbott is more liked than Cruz is.  The gun comment really isn't that sticky a point for the 60% of us not on either fringe who vote and bundle money.  He's visible, he's passionate, he's at least trying to initiate some conversations, but it's against a guy with more engrained support statewide here in Abbott.  I know, I know...to question O'Rourke means you're an evil GOP shitbag...but you're gonna have to ask and answer yourselves the question, "What...PRECISELY...is going to be different this time against a more likable opponent?"  

So my choices on a general election ballot might be Allen West, Robert O'Rourke, and Matthew McConaughey?  
While Matthew is handsome, Beto is passionate, and Allen is a veteran.  The three of them should never be allowed to be in charge of that many critical political appointments.  Neither should Abbott, in hindsight, for that matter.  
Surely one of the two major parties can find a moderate woman candidate to run?  While I would prefer O'Rourke to a lunatic like Huffhines, I don't see what he's going to do differently in 2022 that he couldn't pull off in 2018?  Abbott is more liked than Cruz is.  The gun comment really isn't that sticky a point for the 60% of us not on either fringe who vote and bundle money.  He's visible, he's passionate, he's at least trying to initiate some conversations, but it's against a guy with more engrained support statewide here in Abbott.  I know, I know...to question O'Rourke means you're an evil GOP shitbag...but you're gonna have to ask and answer yourselves the question, "What...PRECISELY...is going to be different this time against a more likable opponent?"  
He loses by more for 200$ Alex?

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm heading out to see Beto at Pan American Park this afternoon.  Need to see some good in humanity for a change.

yup, 5pm.   Should be a huge crowd.    https://www.mobilize.us/betofortexas/event/473075/

going to be hot as balls, looking forward to seeing all the righteous ladies in weather appropriate clothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, kibbles said:

yup, 5pm.   Should be a huge crowd.    https://www.mobilize.us/betofortexas/event/473075/

going to be hot as balls, looking forward to seeing all the righteous ladies in weather appropriate clothing.

rally was fun, good people and some hilarious signs.   seemed like many people do not like current gov.    beto goes on at min 32 or so

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, kibbles said:

rally was fun, good people and some hilarious signs.   seemed like many people do not like current gov.    beto goes on at min 32 or so

Thanks for the link.  Wife is sick so I couldn't make it.  Good to see the size of that crowd.