Shit Trader Joe's makes (when it's open)

ohchaucer

They're so bad for me, but those big Incan corn nuts.  Holy shit, with an ice cold beer (or two), I can down a whole bag if somebody doesn't stop me.  

Little disappointed with their fish quality.  And their milk expires as you're walking out to your car. 

But I really like the store overall.  But admittedly, if the location was any farther from my house---I probably wouldn't go there very much---if it all.  

For anyone on a diet, they sell frozen chili lime chicken burgers that are 150 calories each with a ton of protein.  That was an easy low-cal dinner when I went a little to heavy on calories at breakfast or lunch.  Even though my diet bet is done, they'll still be a staple ingredient in our house going forward.

Same goes for their assorted macarons.  120 calories for 3 macarons, which was a perfect way to satiate a sweet tooth without breaking the bank.

Lastly, for those not dieting, they have kringles from O&H Bakery in Racine, WI seasonally throughout the year.  These are probably a top 3 breakfast pastry in my book, and one of the things I miss most from my time living in southeast Wisconsin.  Of all the bakeries that make them, O&H are the best, so you're getting a regional delicacy at a great price when you find these at T-Joes.  Their flavors change seasonally.  I believe now they have raspberry.  Pecan or Almond are my absolute favorites, but all varieties are fantastic.

churro-kringle-s.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Cheap prices on beer and liquor.

Carl obviously doesn't live in Texas.

I don't buy their prepared stuff, but I love the cheeses, coffees, condiments, spices, olives, charcuterie, nuts, juices, and liberal return policy.

My dog L-O-V-E-S the dried chicken strip treats. In fact, my TJ trips are planned around replenishing the supply.

Seriously.

Edited by DoobieWah

cilantro-chive-dip1.jpg?w=425&h=402

This stuff was the shit. There was evidently some sort of salmonella or listeria issue roughly a year ago and I haven't seen it since. Ditto on cookie butter, obviously. In terms of quality for price point, they are one of the best grocers out there.

Also, everyone knows Two Buck Chuck, which is great for the purpose it serves, but even their higher price point wines are under $10/bottle and are more than adequate for your standard dinner wine.

• 7 months later...
30 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I haven't tried Trader Joe's yet, as we're happy between Aldi for most stuff, Whole Foods for frou-frou stuff, and Harris Teeter or Food Lion for almost-as-good-as-HEB-but-who-are-we-foolin' stuff.

What's Trader Joe's raison d'être? Why should I add them to my list? Convince me.

TJ has a lot of "gourmet-y" or "epicurian" type foods, especially packaged things as above.  "Frou-frou" within your definitions above  For that kind of thing, it's relatively inexpensive, certainly compared to Whole Foods.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

TJ has a lot of "gourmet-y" or "epicurian" type foods, especially packaged things as above.  "Frou-frou" within your definitions above  For that kind of thing, it's relatively inexpensive, certainly compared to Whole Foods.

Certainly worth a look, then, though it is in a part of town I seldom go to. It's (shudder!) in a strip mall.

Here's the bottom line: if you ever have someone that you care about get deployed to some shithole, and you want to send care-packages, TJ is the only place to shop.  

Dried fruit, nuts, protein bars, peanut butter pretzels, etc.   All that shit ships easy, lasts a long time, and is a welcome gift to any serviceman. 

Every single week, for two deployments, I drove to trader joes, loaded up, and then went directly to the post office.  30 bucks at TJ, 15 at USPS, and I'll see y'all next week.  For 48 weeks one time, and 39 weeks the other time. 

• Like 6

it's cheap for a reason.  caveat emptor, or whateverthefuck Ward said all the time on the radio.

csb/  their ginger beer was my favorite.  kinda cloudy, but not syrupy like Reed's or some of the others...until I almost swallowed a shard of glass, drinking out of the bottle.  that was it for me.

their Dragon Sauce is like crack, tho.

16 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Here's the bottom line: if you ever have someone that you care about get deployed to some shithole, and you want to send care-packages, TJ is the only place to shop.  

Dried fruit, nuts, protein bars, peanut butter pretzels, etc.   All that shit ships easy, lasts a long time, and is a welcome gift to any serviceman. 

Every single week, for two deployments, I drove to trader joes, loaded up, and then went directly to the post office.  30 bucks at TJ, 15 at USPS, and I'll see y'all next week.  For 48 weeks one time, and 39 weeks the other time.

Adopt me?

But seriously, repped for the dedication.