New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Treebeards Memorial has a really cool open air set up. It looks pretty safe for dine in. Plenty of parking spots at 730 pm on a Tuesday. 

Good to see the La Fiesta, and Hunan Inn the in Hedwig Village Shopping Center survived the new construction/ 'rona. I wasn't sure how big the new development next door was going to be. 

50 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

shocker

how many bars in the long block of washington between TC jester and durham have had their licenses suspended?  4?

6 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

because they hose the actual restaurants

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This and the restaurants are responding by passing on costs to their customers. Compare Roostar's in person menu to their Uber Eats menu. Every item is at least $3 higher. 

This is good information to know. Gracias. 

17 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

This is good information to know. Gracias. 

The hidden fees are tough to spot and a lot of places don’t post menu prices in their product website. Just be on the look out for it. 

I dislike Yelp reviewers, but they do serve a purpose of snapping pictures of the menu. In many cases this is the only way to know the brick and mortar menu price before jumping on a food service app.

Pie Factory in Bellaire is the best pie place in Greater Houston. 

Afterwards I hit New York Deli and Coffee Shop this morning. Poppy seed bagel with chive cream cheese and a black coffee. Awesome breakfast. 

I think Hot Bagel Shop makes a better bagel, but New York smokes them in coffee. 

For my fellow West Siders, Bagel Bob’s on Dairy Ashford is excellent. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not a restaurant, but I needed to racing use my guy Mark Anthony on Waugh for killing the Thanksgiving centerpiece. 

7E538B26-A6A4-42DC-B817-086B54AB6769.thumb.jpeg.027069971192e94a4a8f0b8243800c1c.jpeg72D6D038-A325-410D-B89A-CA69A0C3D177.thumb.jpeg.9514358c2eabefe39e82e99e56f0a500.jpeg

Let me try English. I recommend my guy Mark Anthony on Waugh. He killed my wife’s anniversary arrangement and the Thanksgiving centerpiece. I’ve seen him work before. A true artist. 

Miiller's Meats in Llano is now shipping their smoked tenderloins....both beef and pork

They've stopped all game processing and are 100% focused on retail and wholesale.

I had their smoked prime rib in Nov. and it was excellent.  I'd try them for the beef tender.  They'll package and ship.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

I’m feel like I need to duck after saying this, but the Carrabas on Kirby does an excellent job with their lamb chops.

Not my favorite, the location on Voss is much better, but I’m intrigued. No judgment here, my favorite lamb chops in Houston we’re at Yia Yia Mary’s. They were $15 during happy hour until the very end. 

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not my favorite, the location on Voss is much better, but I’m intrigued. No judgment here, my favorite lamb chops in Houston we’re at Yia Yia Mary’s. They were $15 during happy hour until the very end. 

The Voss menu is the same as Kirby, and I'm sure the chop is just as good.  We actually went to the Voss location last night because Kirby was such a shit show.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

The Voss menu is the same as Kirby, and I'm sure the chop is just as good.  We actually went to the Voss location last night because Kirby was such a shit show.

It’s a little hit and miss, but I love their tomahawk. My goodness, when it’s right, it’s the best steak in the city.

• Hook 'Em 1

No lamb chops, but we did have a great meal at Goode Co. Cantina in Memorial on Christmas Eve. 

Superb margaritas. Probably the best cheese enchilada I’ve ever tasted. Beef empanadas were A+. I ordered the carne asada steak, and added a grilled quail. Both were excellent. 

I can’t recommend this place more. Much cheaper and nicer than El Tiempo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

No lamb chops, but we did have a great meal at Goode Co. Cantina in Memorial on Christmas Eve. 

Superb margaritas. Probably the best cheese enchilada I’ve ever tasted. Beef empanadas were A+. I ordered the carne asada steak, and added a grilled quail. Both were excellent. 

I can’t recommend this place more. Much cheaper and nicer than El Tiempo. 

Are they still doing a limited menu? I’ve been waiting for them to add their smoked chicken taquitos back to the menu. That might just be the best Tex mex meal I’ve ever had.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Are they still doing a limited menu? I’ve been waiting for them to add their smoked chicken taquitos back to the menu. That might just be the best Tex mex meal I’ve ever had.  

Yes the taquitos are back. To the best of memory, it's the full menu. This was my first visit during 'rona times. Link: https://kitchenandcantina.com/menus/memorial/

My carne asada steak was almost certainly a tenderloin. Not a cheap skirt steak. 

The patio area is great with plenty of heaters. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

I enjoyed Acadian Coast. Grilled oysters were good. gumbo was good, seafood platter was ok, drinks were good.

This place is going to be a good place to hang out if they can survive COVID. Huge patio and bar area. Kind of a New Orleans vibe going on.

Edited by mycox
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just so we are keeping it real here "cheaper than el tiempo" is no great shakes.
Goode Co Cantina is good, but still expensive.

That being said I may go for lunch.

I have found that every Mexican restaurant in Houston is expensive when you and your wife get two margaritas each with dinner. The bar bill almost always exceeds the price of the food. We often go to Goode Co Cantina and split a meal, which is still plenty of food (we aren’t fat asses), but the drink bill alone is around $60 or more. I’m pretty sure that Mexican restaurants make their money on margaritas.

1 hour ago, huge said:

Just so we are keeping it real here "cheaper than el tiempo" is no great shakes.

is good, but still expensive.

That being said I may go for lunch.

I went next door to Good Company Seafood and and damn their prices have gone up. Since when did the Campenchana cost $18?  

20 hours ago, mycox said:

I enjoyed Acadian Coast. Grilled oysters were good. gumbo was good, seafood platter was ok, drinks were good.

This place is going to be a good place to hang out if they can survive COVID. Huge patio and bar area. Kind of a New Orleans vibe going on.

great addition to the neighborhood 

• 4 weeks later...

Bagel Bob's across the street from Stratford is very good. The owner is from Queens, so he knows his stuff. 

Houston Bagel Power Rankings: 

1) Hot Bagel on Shepherd 

2a) New York Deli and Coffee Shop in Meyerland

2b) Bagel Bob's 

3) Kenny and Ziggy's on Post Oak 

New York Deli makes the best drip coffee in the city in my opinion. 

Bagel Bob's across the street from Stratford is very good. The owner is from Queens, so he knows his stuff. 
1) Hot Bagel on Shepherd 
2b) Bagel Bob's 
I'm pretty sure k&z gets their bagels from new York deli.

1) Hot Bagel on Shepherd 
2b) Bagel Bob's 

Thoughts on Golden Bagel in the Heights? Aside from the shitty service the bagel isn’t bad.

11 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

Thoughts on Golden Bagel in the Heights? Aside from the shitty service the bagel isn’t bad.

Pretty good, but it’s been a minute. If Fletch is right (he probably is) and K&Z buy their bagels from New York Deli, I’d put Golden Bagel in the 3 spot. I do think Hot Bagel is somewhat better than the others. I’m not sure what their secret is. They have a very small kitchen. It could be a texture/cream cheese thing. 

New York Deli definitely does it the right way. Boil, and bake. The owners are from the Northeast, and I believe they’re a Jewish Family. 

All that said, you can grab a bagel at a random deli on the subway in New York City and it’s better than anything we have done here.