New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The yet-to-be named bar is slated to open later this fall, co-owner Sharif Al-Amin told Eater.

been a great addition to the block the past year!

but seriously, we’re now on week 13 of the entire block being torn to shit. they’ve busted the main water line twice on saturdays afternoons, shut it off multiple times without warning during the week, have busted gas lines at least twice (including once while we were brewing on our gas powered brewhouse), and prevented us from taking deliveries too many times to count. yay.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:11 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

By Popular Demand is probably the most solid bar in Memorial. Jesus, there’s not much competition. 

Lamb chops at Ember and Greens are top notch. A+ old fashioned as too. 

I went to Cowboy Surfer for the first time recently and thought it was great.

• Hook 'Em 3

Went to the new Post MKT food hall.  We had hot chicken and Andes Cafe, luckily going 2 for 2 with the Andes stuff grading out as super delicious.

Upstairs was great to get a drink.  Didn't hurt it was perfect weather.

East side king was late opening when I went so will also try that next time I go.

Houston's outpost of Loro (Aaron Franklin and Tyson Cole) is slated to open early next year on 11th Street. They're doing some sneak preview events next weekend in the parking lot of the upcoming restaurant.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-02-21-loro-asian-smokehouse-new-restaurant-the-heights-preview-pop-up-aaron-franklin-bun-b/?fbclid=IwAR3-3rGOC3iwnCxJ9OBokpnEbJzpZOjYRpHKvPeRGHei-nkYbAp07yc18_k

I hit up L Bar M BBQ twice this week (Friday and Saturday), and i have to say it is freaking spectacular.  Brisket was deeply smoky, tender, juicy and just flat our perfect.  My 13 year old son who does not eat that much red meat at an entire pound of lean on his own.  THeir portions are way generous.  We had the regular and the jalapeno cheese sausage.  They're both very good.  Nothing life altering, but more than solid.  We ordered both of them both days.  Good enough to order again, but i wouldn't put it up there with lockhart style sausage.  Nobody else gets it quite right.  Ribs were okay at best one day, slightly tough tbh.  I got a smaller portion on day two to give them another try and they were spectacular.  Highly recommend.  The turkey was done as well as turkey can be done.  I would buy one of their turkey's for a thanksgiving dinner and be done with it.  You're unlikely to find a better version.  I hate turkey.  I like their turkey.  Side sampled were all great.  I am particularly fond of the cauliflower gratin.  The beans could have used a but more flavor.  They weren't bad, but kind of bland which was surprising to me.  THey had lots of stuff in them.  will try again.  Cream corn was fine.  Mac and cheese was really stand out.  THe building is new and really a comfortable and great place to hang out.  I will absolutely be back, frequently.  I encourage all of you to get over and support the place.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, pepper brooks said:

I hit up L Bar M BBQ twice this week (Friday and Saturday), and i have to say it is freaking spectacular.  Brisket was deeply smoky, tender, juicy and just flat our perfect.  My 13 year old son who does not eat that much red meat at an entire pound of lean on his own.  THeir portions are way generous.  We had the regular and the jalapeno cheese sausage.  They're both very good.  Nothing life altering, but more than solid.  We ordered both of them both days.  Good enough to order again, but i wouldn't put it up there with lockhart style sausage.  Nobody else gets it quite right.  Ribs were okay at best one day, slightly tough tbh.  I got a smaller portion on day two to give them another try and they were spectacular.  Highly recommend.  The turkey was done as well as turkey can be done.  I would buy one of their turkey's for a thanksgiving dinner and be done with it.  You're unlikely to find a better version.  I hate turkey.  I like their turkey.  Side sampled were all great.  I am particularly fond of the cauliflower gratin.  The beans could have used a but more flavor.  They weren't bad, but kind of bland which was surprising to me.  THey had lots of stuff in them.  will try again.  Cream corn was fine.  Mac and cheese was really stand out.  THe building is new and really a comfortable and great place to hang out.  I will absolutely be back, frequently.  I encourage all of you to get over and support the place.  

Did u mean J-Bar-M BBQ? Searched and couldn’t find any place called L bar M. I’m assuming from the uniqueness of the name yours was a typo

3 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Not sure if it's every been mentioned in this thread but Fratellis on Westview and Wirt is fantastic. Every time the food has been delicious and the service extremely friendly. Highly recommend if you're looking for an Italian option.

Been there. It was pretty good old-school Italian (not the goofy Italifornian stuff) from what I recall.  Will have to try it again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 11:17 AM, HoustonHorn said:

Not sure if it's every been mentioned in this thread but Fratellis on Westview and Wirt is fantastic. Every time the food has been delicious and the service extremely friendly. Highly recommend if you're looking for an Italian option.

Seconded on Fratelli’s. Beautiful interior. Really good food. And they play nothing but Sinatra and Deano. 

Tried Maize a couple of weeks ago... really liked it.  Mexican, not Tex-Mex.  I believe the chef used to be with Xochi.  In the old Carmelo's place.

Went last night. Food was great, service was horrendous. The grand opening is apparently in a couple weeks so they’re still considering it soft open I guess. Hopefully service gets straightened out.

8 hours ago, ERhine said:

Went last night. Food was great, service was horrendous. The grand opening is apparently in a couple weeks so they’re still considering it soft open I guess. Hopefully service gets straightened out.

Man, we are there almost a month ago. Talk about a looong soft opening.

• Like 1

Need a recommendation for 25th wedding anniversary next month.
.all types of cuisine but not looking for a steakhouse
.on a 90 day no booze thing , so wine list and cocktails aren’t important
.not looking for flashiest / trendiest
.quaint /classic/ better than loud music and hip

.upscale but not needing to break the bank. No mastros , etc.

I’m in the woodlands but we will be going in town.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Need a recommendation for 25th wedding anniversary next month.
.all types of cuisine but not looking for a steakhouse
.on a 90 day no booze thing , so wine list and cocktails aren’t important
.not looking for flashiest / trendiest
.quaint /classic/ better than loud music and hip

.upscale but not needing to break the bank. No mastros , etc.

I’m in the woodlands but we will be going in town.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like Italian, look into Sorrento or Da Marco. Both in the same area, on Westheimer near Montrose.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh

3 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yeah, Da Marco is clearly superior. All depends on how much one wants to spend.

Its definitely a special event kind of restaurant.  If I wanted to spend less but get good Italian in that same area, I would just go with Poscol or up Westheimer to Giacomo's.

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Its definitely a special event kind of restaurant.  If I wanted to spend less but get good Italian in that same area, I would just go with Poscol or up Westheimer to Giacomo's.

Both those places are great for food as well. I mention Sorrento (and Da Marco) because it fits the "quaint/classic" atmosphere better than those two, which have a much more casual feel.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:40 AM, Storm the Field said:

Seen some rave reviews for Chris Shepherd's just-opened Underbelly Burger at the Houston Farmer's Market on Airline. Several people already calling it the best burger in town. 

Went this afternoon for a late lunch. I had the wagyu burger and it was very solid. I'm not sure I've had enough burgers in Houston to say it's the best burger in the city, but it was very, very solid. I also really like the sidewinder fries. They're different than any fry I've ever had and I really liked them. 

With that said, I'm not sure I understand what Chris Shepherd's business plan is at this point unless it's to leverage himself to the gills and completely abandon the neighborhood that made him successful in the first place. And I say this as a big fan of his. The burger place is tucked into a corner of the farmer's market with zero visibility and I'm not sure a burger joint slinging $20 burger and fries combos is hitting the right demographic there. Same can be said for the upcoming Wild Oats. Maybe the farmer's market becomes some hip destination in the future, but right now it has a lot of empty storefronts and sits in a neighborhood without many attractions to bring in customers. It's sad for my wife and I because we have historically walked to UBP, One Fifth, GJ, etc on a very, very regular basis since those were among our neighborhood restaurants. I just don't see Chris getting nearly as much of our money in the future now that he's bailing on Montrose.

• Hook 'Em 2

I stopped frequenting Hay Merchant as much as a used to because Chris Shepherd ruined it. He turned into another one of his overpriced restaurants. Hopefully someone does something good with that building. We shall see how Everlong Bar & Hideaway (UB Preserve location) turns out to be, but doesn't sound too promising.

I went to Georgia James Tavern a couple of weeks ago and the food was good, but still overpriced.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

Went this afternoon for a late lunch. I had the wagyu burger and it was very solid. I'm not sure I've had enough burgers in Houston to say it's the best burger in the city, but it was very, very solid. I also really like the sidewinder fries. They're different than any fry I've ever had and I really liked them. 

With that said, I'm not sure I understand what Chris Shepherd's business plan is at this point unless it's to leverage himself to the gills and completely abandon the neighborhood that made him successful in the first place. And I say this as a big fan of his. 

Eaten at all of Chris Shepherd’s spots, so went to the Farmer’s Market to buy some Yerba Buena, manzanilla, other herbs and some groceries… and try his new spot. 

The burger is legit. But the chicken sandwich slammed and went hard. That fucker was tasty af. I thought it outshone the burger.

Was too cold to get a shake, but those looked good. Yeah a different fry, but it was good. 

Not the best burger in town, IMHO. Off the top of my head Lankford’s and Biggio’s are better. I’m sure I’m missing a few others. 

The irony of most the gringos not shopping at the gente’s stands for fresh food at great prices, but waiting in a long line for a $20 burger and fries. 

Gente did want a lot of coin for the molcajetes and other kitchen stuff. I mean I know CPI is at 7%, but help a brotha out a little bit.
The market needs someone cooking on a disco or a flat iron with all those great ingredients and selling tacos or something.  I am sure that has to do with getting a permit for specifically that. 
Some people call it the Farmer’s Market, but it’s just the pulga to me. 
Cancha a Cocina

Edited by JerrysJheriCurl

49 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

The market needs someone cooking on a disco or a flat iron with all those great ingredients and selling tacos or something.  I am sure that has to do with getting a permit for specifically that.

Exactly. Some of the best meals are street food from a market.

image.png.db2be227f75e93494b48b086845b66d2.png

• Hook 'Em 1