New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

19 hours ago, royiv said:

They don't own the building. They leased it. Not sure what the status of the lease is. Sucks that the UB Preserv space has been leased by some shitty coffee shop. I was hoping Nick Wong would take it over after he left Underbelly Hospitality earlier this year.

You don’t think Montrose needs another cafe/coffee shop?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fud said:

Meeting friends who have a couple of toddlers for astros, beer, and dinner 

Do you guys have a recommendation for a casual place somewhere between midtown and memorial that would fit the bill? 

The Rustic in Uptown. 

Kirby Icehouse. 

If you're looking for a smaller place, Little Matt's in West U. It's been a minute, but they gave you free beer and ritas if you ordered food. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Rustic in Uptown. 

Kirby Icehouse. 

If you're looking for a smaller place, Little Matt's in West U. It's been a minute, but they gave you free beer and ritas if you ordered food. 

Kirby is 23 and up

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Meeting friends who have a couple of toddlers for astros, beer, and dinner 

Do you guys have a recommendation for a casual place somewhere between midtown and memorial that would fit the bill? 

fm bar on shepard. It’s always full of families. The food is under rated good. Very very good wings and excellent burgers 

https://www.fmkitchenandbar.com/

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

Can y’all help me out? A group of people from my company will be in Houston three days for some meetings. Can you list a few must-visit spots for people who’ve never been to Texas? Staying at the Marriott Marquis, won’t have cars. Nothing high end necessarily. I was thinking Killens STQ cause I love it, but that’s all I got. 

Preferable a BBQ spot and a Tex-Max place, and whatever else. I wish I knew Houston’s food scene, I know it’s damn good. 

11 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Can y’all help me out? A group of people from my company will be in Houston three days for some meetings. Can you list a few must-visit spots for people who’ve never been to Texas? Staying at the Marriott Marquis, won’t have cars. Nothing high end necessarily. I was thinking Killens STQ cause I love it, but that’s all I got. 

Preferable a BBQ spot and a Tex-Max place, and whatever else. I wish I knew Houston’s food scene, I know it’s damn good. 

I assume your willing to Uber as far as Voss? That Killens location is in Tanglewood. 

Roegels is next door. Very solid BBQ but it’s only open for lunch. Truth is better cue, also a lunch only spot. It’s on Washington and Heights Blvd.

I assume you’ll be looking steaks downtown. I recommend Vic & Anthony’s over Pappas Bros. I would order rounds of the best bourbon they have, the seafood tower, bone in ribeyes, potatoes au gratin(best I’ve ever had) and bottles of Silver Oak. 

If you’re looking for round 2 on steaks, I’d go with Del Frisco’s Double Eagle in the Galleria. Really good old fashioneds. Love their bone in ribeyes. Bacon and Brussels sprouts is my favorite side. Don’t go for lunch. They make you sit downstairs. 

If you’re looking for a very Houston experience. I’d recommend West Alabama Icehouse. I’d stick to beer. Good, not great, taco truck next door. Be prepared to sweat your ass off. It’s ok if you go about 11. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’d go to the original Ninfa’s on Navigation for Tex-Mex. Everything is good, but I like the fajita burger best. Trust me. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Ninfas or El tiempo on navigation

Pinkerton’s - bbq 

tiny champions - good pizza and everything else 

indianola 

nancys hustle 

Acadian coast - good seafood place and great cocktails 

all much much closer than killens STQ 

Spoiler

#csb - got a blow job in the STQ parking lot last month. Single moms !

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume your willing to Uber as far as Voss? That Killens location is in Tanglewood. 

Roegels is next door. Very solid BBQ but it’s only open for lunch. Truth is better cue, also a lunch only spot. It’s on Washington and Heights Blvd.

I assume you’ll be looking steaks downtown. I recommend Vic & Anthony’s over Pappas Bros. I would order rounds of the best bourbon they have, the seafood tower, bone in ribeyes, potatoes au gratin(best I’ve ever had) and bottles of Silver Oak. 

If you’re looking for round 2 on steaks, I’d go with Del Frisco’s Double Eagle in the Galleria. Really good old fashioneds. Love their bone in ribeyes. Bacon and Brussels sprouts is my favorite side. Don’t go for lunch. They make you sit downstairs. 

If you’re looking for a very Houston experience. I’d recommend West Alabama Icehouse. I’d stick to beer. Good, not great, taco truck next door. Be prepared to sweat your ass off. It’s ok if you go about 11. 

That's a whole lot of chain steakhouse recommendations. If you're going the steakhouse path, at least recommend something local. 

Haven’t lived there in 2 years but the obvious answers (I think) are

steak - pappas bros

cue - truth, pinkertons………..then pit room/roegels/feges 

tex Mex - ninfas on navigation, el tiempo, lupes

bludorn if you can get a table for that size of group. Prob difficult 

xochi in the hotel is also great, as is Hugo’s

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would you recommend Allison Cook? Or you are you just going to sit back and criticize?

For steak, I'd go with Georgia James. 

For other recommendations, others have had some great ones on here. Xochi at the hotel they're staying in is great. A couple of blocks away, Potente is always solid. In Eado, Nancy's Hustle, Indianola and Tiny Champions were all great recommendations. Wife and I had a fantastic meal at Theodore Rex last weekend, but that would be tough for a large group. Bludorn was another great suggestion here. With the exception of Truth, your recommendations were pretty pedestrian. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Nothing wrong with chain steakhouses, they're all the fucking same anyway.  The only non chains I can think of off the top of my head is Georgia James or Killens place.

Edit---B&B Butchers

Ahhh I forgot about B&B. It’s great, with a more casual feel.

I rarely do a steakhouse any more as it’s too expensive and the wine is a rip off. But If I was going in Houston, I’d do Pappas Bros on Westheimer every time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/20/2022 at 9:42 PM, royiv said:

For steak, I'd go with Georgia James. 

For other recommendations, others have had some great ones on here. Xochi at the hotel they're staying in is great. A couple of blocks away, Potente is always solid. In Eado, Nancy's Hustle, Indianola and Tiny Champions were all great recommendations. Wife and I had a fantastic meal at Theodore Rex last weekend, but that would be tough for a large group. Bludorn was another great suggestion here. With the exception of Truth, your recommendations were pretty pedestrian. 

Potente is always good, damn good bar service too 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 4:11 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

On this page, you recommended The Rustic, a chain, then an icehouse with an age limit when the poster mentioned eating with kids, and then two fucking Landry’s steakhouses over Pappa’s. Wow. 

Also, anyone else recommending V&A over Pappa’s downtown, holy fuck. Thanks for the warning on your posts. 

If you need something local and close as a steakhouse, B&B fits the bill and it’s terrific. Georgia James is nothing special and more expensive.

Xochi is pompous mediocrity. Go with Hugo’s from the same dude for something far better as a representative of this city. 

The bbq and tex mex recs make sense.

Brennan’s is not like the parent company’s spots in NOLA but adjacent to them in menu and style. They go out of their way to make the one here “Houston specific “ and I’ve never had a bad meal there. Also near where they’re staying.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

A steak

7 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I rarely do a steakhouse any more as it’s too expensive and the wine is a rip off. But If I was going in Houston, I’d do Pappas Bros on Westheimer every time. 

A steak is a steak. They all taste the same if they cook it right.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Brennan’s is not like the parent company’s spots in NOLA but adjacent to them in menu and style. They go out of their way to make the one here “Houston specific “ and I’ve never had a bad meal there. Also near where they’re staying.

rip richard

• 1 month later...

Went to Cherry Block at stomping grounds tonight to meet up with some friends. The concept is great, and that whole development is about the most family friendly thing I can think of, but damn the bbq was terrible. It’s not expensive at least, but I’d order anything but bbq. I wasn’t expecting greatness but Pappas, Goode co, etc all have better meat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

I was just about to post a similar experience

The Branzino was godawful. Literally just fish and butter on top of some hummus-like stuff. The seafood risotto tasted of Chef Boyardee (spelling?) tomatoes and was terrible. Crab cake was meh. Gumbo was great. Fish dip was the best thing we ordered all night. Cocktails were excellent. Dessert (apples and eggs, choco pastel) was also excellent

overall, 5/10. Overrated. Just like bludorn. Not even in the top 50 spots in town imo

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

houston area getting two of the first few US locations of 'German Doner Kebab,' one down in sugar land opening in the next week, another in the heights.  looks like it's based in the UK. 

maybe a replacement for verts (rip, fuck private equity)

https://www.germandonerkebab.com

edit: adding pickles and jalapenos is $1 each upcharge

get-a-rope-cowboy.gif.445b095c3d8e7b5d0e640b96eb50b665.gif

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...