New Houston Restaurant Recommendations

Jimbaround

Street to Kitchen thai in the East End is finominle

Probably my favorite restaurant in town over the past six months or so.
3ef4a8b774afe0096aa08d5533a07666.jpg
2a256072f1fa2f3a89bafed6b987b315.jpg
2b488374d7aae5960f2da50c4b2656db.jpg
5e01680bcf59fd81a0cd2c48f4152ecc.jpg

The dessert literally brought my wife to tears it reminded her so much of a dish her mother made.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Lankford’s has opened a 2nd location in Bellaire. 
https://bellaire.lankfordsburgers.com/

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They’ve had a lot of delays but the grand opening is currently scheduled for May 15. 

I was about to ask "for real though?" because I drive by it nearly every day and it's damned look like no progress has been made for months.

It's been open quite awhile, but finally made it to Wild Oats in the old Farmer's Market. Holy fuck. The chicken fried steak was the best I've ever tasted, they had a smoked Mahi Mahi that might be one of the best fish I've ever tasted. My wife's shimp and grits were fucking outstanding. I don't think we had anything that was below "good" and most of it was "exceptional. The service was pretty fucking bad, but holy shit that food. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's been open quite awhile, but finally made it to Wild Oats in the old Farmer's Market. Holy fuck. The chicken fried steak was the best I've ever tasted, they had a smoked Mahi Mahi that might be one of the best fish I've ever tasted. My wife's shimp and grits were fucking outstanding. I don't think we had anything that was below "good" and most of it was "exceptional. The service was pretty fucking bad, but holy shit that food. 

We went a couple of months after it opened and weren't overly impressed and have never been back. Might be worth another shot based on this. My wife loves shrimp and grits and who doesn't love a good CFS? How busy was it? We were pretty surprised that it was relatively dead when we went on a weekend night. 

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

We went a couple of months after it opened and weren't overly impressed and have never been back. Might be worth another shot based on this. My wife loves shrimp and grits and who doesn't love a good CFS? How busy was it? We were pretty surprised that it was relatively dead when we went on a weekend night. 

It was fucking empty, which was why I was irritated at the slow service. Granted, it was pouring down rain that evening, but I can't imagine it's too busy on Saturday evenings. That being said, I have some concerns at how long it can stay open, so go now.

Also, it's worth mentioning that it wasn't just me who had glowing reviews. Everyone at our table all thought the food was excellent. And the chicken fried steak is his signature dish at that spot, fwiw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Big Owl is close by there, great beer spot 

The Asian place next to Big Owl has a secret door to a speakeasy. You have to like hit a button on their A/C unit on the wall. The night we tried to go the restaurant was empty, but the guy behind the counter said it was a 45 minute wait. We got in an uber and headed to Heights Drive Inn instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Andiron was great last night.  Sat at the bar and had cocktails and appetizer (cold smoked seabass with artichoke broth).

Space is nice, smells smokey fantastic.  Steaks looked fancy and expensive as is the new trend.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

Andiron was great last night.  Sat at the bar and had cocktails and appetizer (cold smoked seabass with artichoke broth).

Space is nice, smells smokey fantastic.  Steaks looked fancy and expensive as is the new trend.

I went with my wife a few weeks ago. We had drinks at the Clarkwood next door ahead of time. That bar was fun and I'd go back. I liked the smell and atmosphere of Andiron, but it felt pretty overpriced. Two of us had appetizers, cocktails, steaks and sides, dessert, and wine and walked out after tip at $750. I could do all of that really well at any other steakhouse in town and knock a couple hundred dollars off the tab. 

I'd go back, but only if invited by friends in The Heights or Allen Parkway area who really wanted to go. 

Edited by closetojumping

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It was fucking empty, which was why I was irritated at the slow service. Granted, it was pouring down rain that evening, but I can't imagine it's too busy on Saturday evenings. That being said, I have some concerns at how long it can stay open, so go now.

Also, it's worth mentioning that it wasn't just me who had glowing reviews. Everyone at our table all thought the food was excellent. And the chicken fried steak is his signature dish at that spot, fwiw. 

The whole set-up is kind of weird to me with zero street visibility. You really have to know it's back there. Same with Underbelly Burger.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I went with my wife a few weeks ago. We had drinks at the Clarkwood next door ahead of time. That bar was fun and I'd go back. I liked the smell and atmosphere of Andiron, but it felt pretty overpriced. Two of us had appetizers, cocktails, steaks and sides, dessert, and wine and walked out after tip at $750. I could do all of that really well at any other steakhouse in town and knock a couple hundred dollars off the tab. 

I'd go back, but only if invited by friends in The Heights or Allen Parkway area who really wanted to go. 

Wow, that's pricey. Supposed to go there this coming Sunday night. Looking forward to it, but I'm glad you gave a heads-up on the pricing. For comparison, we had a friend in town a couple of weeks ago and we took her to Doris. We had a butcher board with two steaks, one of them being Wagyu, bone marrow and octopus. Also had salad and sides with cocktails and a nice bottle of wine and we got out of there for around $600 with tip.

• Hook 'Em 1

We went a couple of months after it opened and weren't overly impressed and have never been back.

This was our experience. It wasn’t bad but don’t think I’ve even thought of it for a meal since then. Was just kind of meh.

Probably because you went there around 4pm. And y’all got home at a late 7pm because you weren’t sure about the sitter.

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have no interest in spending my own money with a full send steakhouse meal.  Even less so at those prices.  Next time I have a business dinner I am going there though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wine is the one thing I never order at a restaurant. Why order something u know is marked up 300%? Same thing with ordering any sort of standard chicken or salmon dish

also, echo the sentiments on Wild Oats. Went last year and have no inclination to go back.

speaking of Street To Kitchen, wife and I have reservations on Thursday to Th_Prsrv so ill letchall l know how it goes

Edited by GreenspointTexas

29 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wine is the one thing I never order at a restaurant. Why order something u know is marked up 300%?

Many restaurants do not follow this practice.  That being said anything steakhouse related you are correct.  Their knives are sharp.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not every place has crazy markups on wine. For example, Port A Vino. Since they're also a wine shop, they price their wines at just a little over retail price. Like maybe $48 for a bottle that would be $39 at the store...etc. The food is good too. Boar bolognese I had last time was damn near perfect.

On another note, anyone been to Triola's on Main? I keep meaning to check it out.

Almost every single day, there's a new review from someone in the Heights Foodies group on FB that is basically "Finally felt compelled to try Triola's to see what all the hype was about and OMG it really was the best Italian food I've ever eaten!!!!" 

It's also BYOB with no corkage fee. Definitely gonna try to get a table for next time wife wants to go out somewhere nice.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Not every place has crazy markups on wine. For example, Port A Vino. Since they're also a wine shop, they price their wines at just a little over retail price. Like maybe $48 for a bottle that would be $39 at the store...etc. The food is good too. Boar bolognese I had last time was damn near perfect.

On another note, anyone been to Triola's on Main? I keep meaning to check it out.

Almost every single day, there's a new review from someone in the Heights Foodies group on FB that is basically "Finally felt compelled to try Triola's to see what all the hype was about and OMG it really was the best Italian food I've ever eaten!!!!" 

It's also BYOB with no corkage fee. Definitely gonna try to get a table for next time wife wants to go out somewhere nice.

Portavino is a great spot for wine at a good price.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Moving to the Nottingham Forest area soon. What are some of the places I'll be eating at? 

It’ll be an adjustment moving from The Heights. I’ve lived it.

Bistro 555 is great and pretty close to you. Pizaro’s is on your back to I 10. 

There are only two neighborhood bars in Memorial. Cowboy Surfer and By Popular Demand. BPD has a much better menu. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’ll be an adjustment moving from The Heights. I’ve lived it.

Bistro 555 is great and pretty close to you. Pizaro’s is on your back to I 10. 

There are only two neighborhood bars in Memorial. Cowboy Surfer and By Popular Demand. BPD has a much better menu. 

My boss mentioned Watson's House of Ales as a good bar spot, although it's not exactly right there 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

My boss mentioned Watson's House of Ales as a good bar spot, although it's not exactly right there 

It’s an after work spot to be sure. BP, Shell, and COP guys like to go there. I don’t think it’s a very good pub, just a decent bar close to massive O&G campuses. There’s a Christian’s Tailgate on the north side I 10 and 6. It’s much better in my opinion. 

The Bull and the Bear is a decent pub nearby. 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Moving to the Nottingham Forest area soon. What are some of the places I'll be eating at? 

Izakaya Wa is right there as well and is good.  La Fiesta for Tex Mex. I've been meaning to try Lynn's Steakhouse on Dairy Ashford, but haven't yet.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Izakaya Wa is right there as well and is good.  La Fiesta for Tex Mex. I've been meaning to try Lynn's Steakhouse on Dairy Ashford, but haven't yet.

Lynns is awesome if you want to time travel to 1987.  The food is good enough.  Worth a look.

• Hook 'Em 2

Another post about Street to Kitchen

Went there over the weekend.  Everything was great.  Service was top notch.

Spring Rolls

Crispy whole Thai Fish

Massaman Curry

Pad Thai

On 5/17/2023 at 11:18 AM, Fud said:

As someone who grew up over there...You have a very important decision to make....well it used to be important.

You will either be a La Hacienda family like we were or you can be wrong and be a Los Rios family.

I can't vouch for either these days, But in the 80's-early 90's La Hacienda was bomb.com

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Fud said:

I need an anniversary dinner rec not named Bludorn. We like all food. What do you got? 

March
Les Jardinier isn't hard to get into, but it's a cool space and the food we really enjoyed.
Amore has been getting solid reviews from folks I know as well. Quite a bit more intimate, if you can get past the exterior. 
Can't go wrong with Nobi's

• Hook 'Em 2

As someone who grew up over there...You have a very important decision to make....well it used to be important.
You will either be a La Hacienda family like we were or you can be wrong and be a Los Tios family.

I can't vouch for either these days, But in the 80's-early 90's La Hacienda was bomb.com

Los Tios

And you shouldn't be a Los Tios family. La Fiesta 1A, La Hacienda 1B... Los Tios C.

Bacaro is pretty good. Urban American Kitchen is as well. Pizarro's is overrated and overpriced. Hungry's has some good food.

Drive down Memorial to Jonathan's or The Union Kitchen. Jonathan's in particular is outstanding.

Los Tios

And you shouldn't be a Los Tios family. La Fiesta 1A, La Hacienda 1B... Los Tios C.

Bacaro is pretty good. Urban American Kitchen is as well. Pizarro's is overrated and overpriced. Hungry's has some good food.

Drive down Memorial to Jonathan's or The Union Kitchen. Jonathan's in particular is outstanding.

There’s a lot to unwrap here. I think my biggest issue is with Union Kitchen? Really? You’re actually recommending Union Kitchen?
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:23 AM, huge said:

Lynns is awesome if you want to time travel to 1987.  The food is good enough.  Worth a look.

Lynn’s menu isn’t stuck in 1987. They’ve certainly kept up with inflation. I believe every dinner entree is at least $50. 

I was sorry to see Sam’s Burgers and Pies go away. They did a very sturdy lunch business every time I was in there. Normally I’d guess an outlandish rent issue, but not in that strip mall. Owners retired? 

There’s a lot to unwrap here. I think my biggest issue is with Union Kitchen? Really? You’re actually recommending Union Kitchen?
Yes, it's fine. If I could go anywhere in town, I'm not going there, but if I'm looking to go within a few minutes of Nottingham Forest, then yes. It isn't as good as Jonathan's. It's on par with Hungry's and UAK. None are winning awards but they are all pretty good places to grab a bite.

If he wants fine dining, then there are certainly other options, but it sounded like he was asking about neighborhood restaurants.

Feel free to enlighten me. What are all the great semi-casual dining spots within 5 or so minutes of Nottingham Forest?

Assume you have kids and are moving for the schools, if not why are you moving out here…

Monarch is the bar actually closest to you, you can ride up there in the golf cart. Ninfas, wasn’t mentioned above, but most people go to Los Tios or Ninfas now for their Mexican fix. Looks like there are a handful of us over here.