If you could only have one car

Buzzrock

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I already drive a lifted Tundra with aftermarket bumpers. Moving to a Land Cruiser would be downsizing for me, but still with the ability to tow my boat while being swaddled in luxury. 

I have a Tundra CrewMax with a mild lift (suspension level) on 35s...  that's part of what was driving my whole too big to daily drive forever.   I find driving anything smaller to be refreshing.  

I'd cross shop a Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo, Cayenne Turbo S and E63S if I had a big budget for a daily. However, given the title of the thread, give me $15 million for a McLaren F1 and I'll uber, bus, bike or walk where ever I couldn't take it.

• Like 1

Guess I’d bump up from 3/4-ton to a single wheel 1-ton.  I still use the truck daily so couldn’t do the car thing. 

Car would be F430*.   Not the fastest, but still my favorite. 

*may not be in spirit of thread as it would not haul my family, etc. I guess the new slew of strange that comes with a Ferrari would also be a problem for the wife.  Still, F430

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Car would be F430*.   Not the fastest, but still my favorite. 

*may not be in spirit of thread as it would not haul my family, etc. I guess the new slew of strange that comes with a Ferrari would also be a problem for the wife.  Still, F430

According to Doug Demuro, the only strange you get with a Ferrari is other dudes.  

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

According to Doug Demuro, the only strange you get with a Ferrari is other dudes.  

why does he keep showing up in my youtube feed?  i don't think i've ever watched a single one of his videos.  but there he is, at the end of pretty much any video, standing behind a car with his arms spread wide. 

On March 17, 2019 at 9:20 PM, deadshank said:

Staying with crew cab F350.  

This right here.  Finally made the upgrade in December and haven't missed a minute of it.  

Family of five + dog riding comfortably... check.

85 mph and quiet with all the bells and whistles for 4+ hours to West Texas... check.

Load 15 sheets of plywood with the tailgate up... check.

Haul a trailer loaded down with a Bobcat, two attachments and a pallet of ready mix... check.

Pull dumb ass neighbor out of the mud thanks to 4WD... check.

Each of these scenarios transpired in the last month and each I couldn't do with my 2004 F150.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pops said:

He'd know

My thoughts exactly.

How many women did he think would stop and talk to two hot chicks, albeit slightly beaky, in a fucking ferrari?  How many men would stop and talk to two hot chicks?  How about two hot chicks in a ferrari?  Powerful journalism there.  

I'm in the same boat as Smails.  Family of four + dog.  Family land in West Texas with constant need of feeders, corn, and other assorted ranch crap needing to be hauled around and often 4x4 is needed.  I went with the FX4 ecoboost.  Kind of wish I'd gone with the 3/4 ton, but I just don't haul enough.  I actually did get decent gas mileage at first with those crappy OEM tires.  Then I upgraded and my mpg went from 17-18 combined to 14+.  With a bed cover it's the family battle wagon.  Ski & beach trips, you can load it down and everything stays safe and dry in the back.  

Now if I get "one" vehicle from now until the end of time.  It's a 3/4 ton that I can put 200-250K miles on easy, rides up high, and check all the other boxes I need for a vehicle.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, Loco said:

I have a Tundra CrewMax with a mild lift (suspension level) on 35s...  that's part of what was driving my whole too big to daily drive forever.   I find driving anything smaller to be refreshing.  

Funny.  I travel periodically for work, so when I transition from my big 4x4 with over sized tires to my crappy little Malibu rental.....feels like I'm driving a race car.  

19 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Not one bit. I hate it, actually.  

HA.  I hear ya'.  Dad's side of the family, been in the horse business for decades.  Raising.  Training.  Riding.  Roping.  Aunt still raises/sells quarter horses well into her 80's.  Grew up around my uncles auction barn in West Texas running horses in/out all weekend long.  They are one hell of a money-suck.  

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

OP's conditions are depressing because they force me to choose an SUV to be responsible for my family instead of enjoying a teenage / mid life crisis fantasy about a Lamborghini or Rolls Royce.

I'll go with an Escalade, but under protest because OP's rules are a total buzzkill.

You need to think bigger.

2019-lamborghini-urus.jpg

rolls-royce-cullinan.jpg

1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible

Cobalt blue with white leather interior

frame-off restored

389 ci tri-power

Auto trans with overdrive

Modern power disc brakes all the way around

Modern suspension

Modern A/C and power windows/locks (keyless)

Electric cut-outs for the exhaust

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

1966-gto-tri-power-convertible-12a.jpg

• Like 1

Our first car was a ‘67 Goat, but with the hardtop - white with red interior. Mrs. Brat received it as a graduation present from her mom.  I totaled it on 290 in Elgin when the town drunk made a left turn in front of us. Hit his truck at 60 mph.

Replaced the Pontiac with a ‘67 Malibu Sport Coupe. That was a great car.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 5:00 PM, Mr. Drummond said:

I was just talking to a buddy today about this, and came to the conclusion my F150 platinum is about perfect.    No other car on the road makes me wish i had it for a daily driver.  Even my BIL's Raptor is too wide and not as comfortable a ride.

This is my current daily (‘16 with the V8), and I have a hard time imagining what I’d trade it for...even with the money is no object stipulation.

1994-1997 Land Cruiser FJ80 with diff lockers, leather, updated stereo with Apple CarPlay, sunroof, etc...  New suspension, 2.5" lift, heavy springs up front, medium in the back.  Rebuild the engine every 300k or so.  I'm shopping for one now.  The 80 is the perfect mix of daily driver modern luxury and off-road capability.

Something along the lines of this:

img_9123-jpg.1187259

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

You need to think bigger.

2019-lamborghini-urus.jpg

rolls-royce-cullinan.jpg

The Montage in Beverly Hills had one of the new RR SUV's as a guest shuttle.  I don't think I have ever seen something that screamed ultimate class quite so loudly, yet with so much grace.  Thing is unreal.  I have seen two of the Lambo SUV's on the road.  I can't quite decide on it yet.  

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

1994-1997 Land Cruiser FJ80 with diff lockers, leather, updated stereo with Apple CarPlay, sunroof, etc...  New suspension, 2.5" lift, heavy springs up front, medium in the back.  Rebuild the engine every 300k or so.  I'm shopping for one now.  The 80 is the perfect mix of daily driver modern luxury and off-road capability.

img_9123-jpg.1187259

Maybe with an engine swap

5 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

The Montage in Beverly Hills had one of the new RR SUV's as a guest shuttle.  I don't think I have ever seen something that screamed ultimate class quite so loudly, yet with so much grace.  Thing is unreal.  I have seen two of the Lambo SUV's on the road.  I can't quite decide on it yet.  

RR apparently can't keep up with demand. They are $350K - $400K and they can't make them fast enough.

I've seen one Urus on the road. They are getting great reviews. I think it looks like a Transformer.

6 hours ago, ajax said:

The most tricked out Mercedes Sprinter money can buy, with a custom pop top.

images.jpg

Good friend of mine tricks them out.  He's a pimp.

http://www.jrscustomauto.com/about.html

My uncle in law had a F650 and an AMG S 65 Coupe, of course he was pulling his 50 foot cigarette boat with that truck. Now I see him driving a brand new KR F150, not sure if he sold the other cars. 

It's going to have to have a six speed in it.  Currently the ride it's a tuned VW CC 2.0T, which I'm planning to keep until something else I can get with a 6SM can give me butt dyno grins and turbo farts, even with 31 mph on the highway. 

Audi fits the bill, but, for the most part, it's the same engine (given the tune with 270 hp and 300 ft/lbs torque) and features.  So why bother. 

A5 is a crush car that can be had with a 6SM.

Edited by dcbc

23 hours ago, Your Mom said:

img_9123-jpg.1187259

I'm half ass looking for one, too. Probably a pretty well used one. My son is 12, and I'd be thinking long term project to give to him when he's 16...or keep the LC for myself and give him my Tundra. 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, Your Mom said:

img_9123-jpg.1187259

Shit, the 80s are more expensive than the 100s are these days.  Why not go for the better engine and newer car and build that up?