How Fox News works

retread

Following up on a previous post, Fox News anchor promotes Covid vaccine, gets death threats from viewers. I am fortunately not subjected to Fox News anymore now that I don't spend time in Texas doctor's lounges, so I don't know what he's like on a daily basis, but Cavuto at least has several instances of demonstrating that he is a sane human.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/27/1049664531/fox-anchor-neil-cavuto-covid-19-vaccine-death-threats?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

Following up on a previous post, Fox News anchor promotes Covid vaccine, gets death threats from viewers. I am fortunately not subjected to Fox News anymore now that I don't spend time in Texas doctor's lounges, so I don't know what he's like on a daily basis, but Cavuto at least has several instances of demonstrating that he is a sane human.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/27/1049664531/fox-anchor-neil-cavuto-covid-19-vaccine-death-threats?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

Then the next story is how the FBI is going after parents 1st amendment rights at school board meetings. When its really the death threats and physical confrontations that is the problem.

dumb question but I'm so mad I'm not thinking straight alert: is it possible to create and online pool of people large enough that we could have a class action lawsuit against these motherfuckers and bankrupt they're asses? anything? one media outlet is literally holding this country hostage. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this is untenable. I know I'm stating the obvious. but it needs to be continually stated.

82% of FNC viewers may believe it was stolen, but they aren't acting on it (and I really don't think it's as high as 82% - plenty of bots and manipulation going on).

But let's pretend for a moment that it's an actual 82% of verified human beings who watch FNC. 

If they believe that the election was stolen from Trump and that Joe Biden is not the President, why aren't they acting upon it?  

We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the election being "stolen" in their eyes, and what are they doing?  Whining on Facebook (which they claim is evil and that they hate) and watching Tucker.

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

82% of FNC viewers may believe it was stolen, but they aren't acting on it (and I really don't think it's as high as 82% - plenty of bots and manipulation going on).

But let's pretend for a moment that it's an actual 82% of verified human beings who watch FNC. 

If they believe that the election was stolen from Trump and that Joe Biden is not the President, why aren't they acting upon it?  

We are coming up on the one year anniversary of the election being "stolen" in their eyes, and what are they doing?  Whining on Facebook (which they claim is evil and that they hate) and watching Tucker.

D2G6OSHGVE7VRGJAZZEOQ2XN2Y.jpg

yeah the immediate aftermath of an attempted fascist insurrection is exactly when we should be patting ourselves on the back about how good we're doing as a society at fighting their fascist lies.

• Hook 'Em 5

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

yeah the immediate aftermath of an attempted fascist insurrection is exactly when we should be patting ourselves on the back about how good we're doing as a society at fighting their fascist lies.

Who is Hitler in this scenario?  Neither Trump nor anybody close to him is in prison.  He's intent on grifting like fucking crazy, sure, but where's the great sacrifices being made by Trump and Co.?

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Who is Hitler in this scenario?  Neither Trump nor anybody close to him is in prison.  He's intent on grifting like fucking crazy, sure, but where's the great sacrifices being made by Trump and Co.?

you're really missing the point here bud. Hitler "went to prison" but it wasn't "going to prison" - he got a nine month retreat/sabbatical with his closest allies in which he was able to hone his ideology and weaponize his hate, ultimately producing mein kampf while in his confinement.

The germans failed to punish hitler and did nothing to address the underlying unease that he weaponized. We are following in those exact same footsteps.

Trump has not been punished. None of his co-conspirators have been punished. There is no will to punish any of the insurrectionists. The courts are giving breaks to the insurrectionists who spilled blood in the heart of our democracy while interrupting the peaceful transition of power.

How can you not fucking see what's happening? It's like you're going all-in on Strong after losing to Kansas man. The writing is on the fucking wall. We've seen this story before and know where it leads.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 2

We have it too good for there to be an actual Nazi-esque takeover scenario. Germany was in the middle of the depression and the thousands of dying kids from malnutrition made them very desperate. Throw in the demilitarization and reparations imposed by the Treaty of Versailles and it's no wonder Hitler was so successful. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

We have it too good for there to be an actual Nazi-esque takeover scenario. Germany was in the middle of the depression and the thousands of dying kids from malnutrition made them very desperate. Throw in the demilitarization and reparations imposed by the Treaty of Versailles and it's no wonder Hitler was so successful. 

it's almost the opposite.  we have it so good that an incredible idleness has resulted in tension just because people want to feel something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

You should read up on some of the writings and studies of that time period. I've made some minor changes to contextualize "They Thought They Were Free" to current America to illustrate my point that we're not that far off from what happened to every other nation that's fallen into fascism.

"What no one seemed to notice," said a colleague of mine "was the ever widening gap, after 2008, between the government and the people. Just think how very wide this gap was to begin with, here in America. And it became always wider. You know, it doesn’t make people close to their government to be told that this is a people’s government, a true democracy, or to be enrolled in civilian defense, or even to vote. All this has little, really nothing, to do with knowing one is governing.

"What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could not be released because of national security. And their sense of identification with Trump, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it.

"This separation of government from people, this widening of the gap, took place so gradually and so insensibly, each step disguised (perhaps not even intentionally) as a temporary emergency measure or associated with true patriotic allegiance or with real social purposes. And all the crises and reforms (real reforms, too) so occupied the people that they did not see the slow motion underneath, of the whole process of government growing remoter and remoter.

"And you are an alarmist. You are saying that this must lead to this, and you can’t prove it. These are the beginnings, yes; but how do you know for sure when you don’t know the end, and how do you know, or even surmise, the end? On the one hand, your enemies, the law, the regime, the GQP, intimidate you. On the other, your colleagues pooh-pooh you as pessimistic or even neurotic. You are left with your close friends, who are, naturally, people who have always thought as you have.

"But your friends are fewer now. Some have drifted off somewhere or submerged themselves in their work. You no longer see as many as you did at meetings or gatherings. Informal groups become smaller; attendance drops off in little organizations, and the organizations themselves wither. Now, in small gatherings of your oldest friends, you feel that you are talking to yourselves, that you are isolated from the reality of things. This weakens your confidence still further and serves as a further deterrent to—to what? It is clearer all the time that, if you are going to do anything, you must make an occasion to do it, and then you are obviously a troublemaker. So you wait, and you wait.

"But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That’s the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked—if, let us say, the storming of the Capitol had come immediately after the Charlottesville Rally. But of course this isn’t the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step D.

Point being - we are on a dangerous path and continue down that path. Acting like we aren't isn't going to magically make things any better. It certainly didn't in the past.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

you're really missing the point here bud. Hitler "went to prison" but it wasn't "going to prison" - he got a nine month retreat/sabbatical with his closest allies in which he was able to hone his ideology and weaponize his hate, ultimately producing mein kampf while in his confinement.

If you are going to make the comparisons - Hitler had not obtained the highest political positions in Germany at that point in time - not even close, and he spent years building up the organization around himself that was 100% loyal to him (with the exception of Rudolf Hess I suppose).  Trump got power within a year, and then was voted out the next time he was up, because he didn't build up the apparatus he needed to (illegally) keep him in power.

Also, unlike Trump, Hitler surrounded himself with people who were truly "ride or die" - these guys were killing their rivals and non-believers left and right in the '30s And plenty of those motherfuckers had suicide pacts and/or committed suicide at the end.   Trump has one person - Stephen Miller, who has that kind of mentality, whereas Hitler was surrounded by these people.

Most of Trump's inner circle are family or those riding the gravy train until it derails.  They are not going to go down fighting.  They keep up the grift until something better comes along.

Plus, what Poe It Up said:

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Hell, I'd almost argue that Trump doesn't want to be President again, since he can make more money outside of the WH by being a power broker and holding the GOP's purse strings.  That's why he forms these PACs.

He fucking loves the idea of people just mailing him money, instead of him having to try and start another business that will only fail.  People just mailing him money, transferring it to his coffers, it's an insane idea to him.

Trump would be happiest if all Republican money was flowing through his PAC's coffers, and then HE could determine which Republicans benefit from his patronage, and those Republicans damn sure better have a Trump property or two on their campaign stops.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

You should read up on some of the writings and studies of that time period. I've made some minor changes to contextualize "They Thought They Were Free" to current America to illustrate my point that we're not that far off from what happened to every other nation that's fallen into fascism.

No other nation that went full fascism has even come close to the standard of living that we have.  Not even close.  Even our lower economic classes have access to things that would be unimaginable to those other nations.

And as shitty as the Republicans are, we try and provide safety nets that are unimaginable to Americans in the 1850s South or Germans in the 1920s and early 1930s.

Look, I agree with you on quite a few things, but if Trump actually believed the election was stolen, he would be leading his followers at rallies marching in Washington D.C. and in every "contested" state's capitol here in November of 2021.  And he would have been doing it back in February and March and April and so on.

He doesn't believe it, and regardless of what polls say, his followers don't believe it, because by their inaction, if they truly believed the election was stolen, then they are complicit in allowing it to be stolen.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, atomheartbevo said:

No other nation that went full fascism has even come close to the standard of living that we have.  Not even close.  Even our lower economic classes have access to things that would be unimaginable to those other nations.

And as shitty as the Republicans are, we try and provide safety nets that are unimaginable to Americans in the 1850s South or Germans in the 1920s and early 1930s.

Look, I agree with you on quite a few things, but if Trump actually believed the election was stolen, he would be leading his followers at rallies marching in Washington D.C. and in every "contested" state's capitol here in November of 2021.  And he would have been doing it back in February and March and April and so on.

He doesn't believe it, and regardless of what polls say, his followers don't believe it, because by their inaction, if they truly believed the election was stolen, then they are complicit in allowing it to be stolen.

Of course Trump doesn’t believe it. Earnest belief is not the fucking point. He’s a liar and a demagogue. He uses big lies to manipulate people and give them an excuse to throw the rules out and take what they want by force. An entire political party is amplifying that message and lending it credibility. And it’s working.

The idea that standard of living gives us any security from this nihilistic mass hallucination is just naive. Millions of Americans have convinced themselves that vaccines, not viruses, kill people and they won’t reconsider that canard despite the virus killing tens of thousands of their fellow travelers in stupidity. You think the same angry morons are going to admit error on the Big Election Lie just because fascism might disrupt the economy in ways they could never hope to comprehend?

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

That sounds like something Paulie would say

T: I was watching this show you and…..

Paulie interrupts: a tv show about me? 

T: no, it’s the fucking name of the show!!!

Paulie: the name of a show about me called you?

T: it’s not about you it’s a show called you 

Paulie: fuck all that! 

23 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Coming To America Bar GIF

Christie reminded me of Dennis Hopper in "True Romance."  
Wallace, "What we got here is a little game of show and tell.  You telling me everything, you don't wanna show me anything."

Then he tries to walk it back.  With any luck his old boss will meet the same fate.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:30 AM, Poe It Up said:

On 11/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

it's almost the opposite.  we have it so good that an incredible idleness has resulted in tension just because people want to feel something.

I agree with this more than the comparison to the post WWI desperation. But the upshot of all the social media silos and propaganda has made many many citizens believe that what is happening to them is as bad as that was. The anger, it seethes until it's palpable. We've seen the more outrageous examples on videos of people boiling over, but the ones that don't act out that way, can sure vote that way.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If you are going to make the comparisons - Hitler had not obtained the highest political positions in Germany at that point in time - not even close, and he spent years building up the organization around himself that was 100% loyal to him (with the exception of Rudolf Hess I suppose).  Trump got power within a year, and then was voted out the next time he was up, because he didn't build up the apparatus he needed to (illegally) keep him in power.

Also, unlike Trump, Hitler surrounded himself with people who were truly "ride or die" - these guys were killing their rivals and non-believers left and right in the '30s And plenty of those motherfuckers had suicide pacts and/or committed suicide at the end.   Trump has one person - Stephen Miller, who has that kind of mentality, whereas Hitler was surrounded by these people.

Most of Trump's inner circle are family or those riding the gravy train until it derails.  They are not going to go down fighting.  They keep up the grift until something better comes along.

Plus, what Poe It Up said:

Just because it hasn't been done in the exact same way does not mean it cannot be done in a similar fashion. They almost got it done as it is. It doesn't have to be Trump's coup anymore--we've seen plenty of people up top who are willing to seize power and use Trump to their own wicked ends. What matters in the final season episode is who is holding the number one spot. While you maintain that the people who follow Trump will not switch to another, I argue that at the point it will no longer matter and in the end it is the team politics that will win out regardless of their quarterback and they will follow that fandom until they perish.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Just because it hasn't been done in the exact same way does not mean it cannot be done in a similar fashion. They almost got it done as it is.

What did they almost get done?  

Did they almost win the 60+ lawsuits they lost?    Did they almost prevent dozens of states from sending in their electoral votes?  Did they almost steal copies of the electoral votes that the National Archives could have replaced?  Did they almost change the minds of Nancy Pelosi and her fellow Democrats when the votes were being certified?

What matters is scoreboard.

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

While you maintain that the people who follow Trump will not switch to another, I argue that at the point it will no longer matter and in the end it is the team politics that will win out regardless of their quarterback and they will follow that fandom until they perish.

Many of these people were not all that interested in politics until Trump, a reality TV star, riled them up. 

Who is going to be the new Trump?  

DeSantis isn't going to fire these people up - hell, he could lose Florida as it is.  Cruz isn't going to - his charisma is about as firm as what I imagine his handshake is.  Hawley is doing an apology tour for something his wife caught him doing.  Abbott is trying to fight off a gremlin nipping at his wheels, and praying the power grid stays up.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

In certain parts of Lower Saxony, most of Baden-Württemberg, and all Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, it is the woman who pays for the privilege of shitting on a man.

Dude, you really need to spend some time in Saxony-Anhalt. Fuck, that was a crazy summer right after the Wiedervereinigung.

In certain parts of Lower Saxony, most of Baden-Württemberg, and all Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, it is the woman who pays for the privilege of shitting on a man.

The Fat Lady of Limbourg I presume, dropping a giant cabbage filled load.
Why, her sense of taste is such that she'll distinguish with her tongue -
the subtleties a spectrograph would miss.

Murdoch has the power to shut that shit down if he truly wanted too.  A simple phone call to Hannity, Tucker, Laura, etc., and they all saw Bill O'Reilly go down (and he was bigger at the time than they are now).  There's plenty of people on the bench willing to take over their slot as well.

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This one is more ridiculous than the previous one, and it's not close:

Now That’s What I Call Politics 2016– brings you all the hits you remember.

- Lock Her Up!

- All the Worst People

- Mexico Will Pay for It!

And more! Send cash, check or money order to:

Make America Great Again, Again, Mar-e-Lago, FL