How Fox News works

retread

Woke up this morning and purposely went to Fox.  Top of page was this:

image.png.5e44bfbb65a1fde16cd529c75f4ce73d.png

So of course my initial reaction was "Well shit.  Here we go".  I then clicked on the link and read through the "live update" thread.  There was a story about Lebron not liking the decision,  a story about how some protester in St Louis called abortion an act of love, and a couple others that had zero to do with anything approximating rage. 

There were 3 short stories I found that were even about public protests. One was about 20 people being arrested in New York (no reporting of specific violence or property destruction). There was another story about a tactical alert being issued in LA (and subsequently cancelled after nothing happened).

Then there was the story pinned at the top:

image.png.798ab79757293b3290f50c45a81d8295.png

Oh shit.  OK, this is the one that justifies the whole Night of Rage headline.  Protesters  breached security and are holding lawmakers hostage?  Fuck.

Then I clicked on the full story back on the main page.

Law enforcement officers in Phoenix, Arizona used tear gas to break up a sizable group of protesters outside the state's Senate building following the U.S. Supreme Court's decision to overturn the landmark abortion ruling Roe v. Wade.

"Protesters threatened to break the AZ Senate entryway glass," Republican Arizona State Senator Wendy Rogers tweeted, as members were in the middle of voting on a series of bills.

The situation escalated into a "hostage" situation as lawmakers were instructed not to exit the building, Republican Arizona State Senator Kelly Townsend said.

"We are currently there being held hostage inside the Senate building due to members of the public trying to breach our security," Townsend tweeted Friday night. "We smell tear gas and the children of one of the members are in the office sobbing with fear."

SUPREME COURT OVERTURNS ROE V. WADE IN LANDMARK OPINION

"I expect a J24 committee to be created immediately," she added, referencing the January 6 committee that is investigating the breach of the U.S. Capitol Building on January 6, 2021.

According to the lawmakers, law enforcement officers then deployed tear gas to disperse the crowds and regain control of the building.

"Crowd was dispersed with tear gas." Rogers added, noting the protests were still continuing and the situation remained "very dangerous." 

Another lawmaker confirmed the use of tear gas outside the building.

"While working inside we were interrupted by the sound of bangs and smell of tear gas," Rep. Sarah Liguori tweeted Friday evening. "Protestors cleared from the Capitol."

Heavily-armed officers were seen in and around the legislative building.

The crowd of protesters dispersed and lawmakers resumed their legislative schedule in a secure room.

"We are headed to a secure room to go vote," Rogers said.

"Everyone is okay and we are finishing our work," Townsend added.

"Feeling safe at the Capitol as I sit by 3 of my fellow senators who are armed," added Arizona State Legislator Warren Petersen.

In the hours following the situation, several members thanked the law enforcement officials who protected the Capitol.

"God bless you guys," exclaimed Townsend.

"We are safe inside… God bless law enforcement," Rogers said.

The Republican Caucus of the State Senate also commended law enforcement for preventing an "insurrection."

"Violent pro-abortion protestors' attempts of an insurrection at the Arizona State Senate were thwarted Friday night, thanks to the swift actions from local and state law enforcement," said Kim Quintero, the Republican Caucus' communications director.

The GOP group said the "extremist demonstrations" were carried out by people "forcibly trying to make entry [to the building] by breaking windows and pushing down doors."

"We are incredibly thankful for our local law enforcement who quickly intervened during what could have been a destructive and dangerous situation for our members, staff, and public inside the Senate," said Senate President Karen Fann. 

Wait.  Uh, what?  Seriously, read the article.

Protesters threatened to break the AZ Senate entryway glass," Republican Arizona State Senator Wendy Rogers tweeted

So, they didn't?

"Crowd was dispersed with tear gas." Rogers added, noting the protests were still continuing and the situation remained "very dangerous." 

Sure.  When you want a crowd to disperse you use pepper spray.  Works particularly well in entertainment districts after the bars close.  But wait, they're still continuing and it's "very dangerous"?  Well did they disperse or not?

Feeling safe at the Capitol as I sit by 3 of my fellow senators who are armed," added Arizona State Legislator Warren Petersen.

LOL.  OK.  

The Republican Caucus of the State Senate also commended law enforcement for preventing an "insurrection."

"Violent pro-abortion protestors' attempts of an insurrection at the Arizona State Senate were thwarted Friday night, thanks to the swift actions from local and state law enforcement," said Kim Q (Kim Q, LOL)

The GOP group said the "extremist demonstrations" were carried out by people "forcibly trying to make entry [to the building] by breaking windows and pushing down doors."

Oh, come on!  It sounds like angry people protested and stopped at the front doors.  Did people break windows and push down doors or not?  Because there's literally nothing in the story to suggest they broke anything, or breached the building in any way.

The situation escalated into a "hostage" situation as lawmakers were instructed not to exit the building, Republican Arizona State Senator Kelly Townsend said.

I saved my favorite for last.  Note the quotes in hostage.  They also did this with the word insurrection.  Of course this wasn't a hostage situation, nor was it an insurrection. By all accounts right there in the article it was a tense but legal (ok maybe they didn't pull a permit) protest.  By using quotes, Fox can "report" (see what I did there) the situation as an insurrection with hostages to their uneducated readers, while only the more discerning eyes will realize that they're really just (very) selectively quoting the words from dingbat MAGA lawmaker tweets.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

So of course my initial reaction was "Well shit.  Here we go".  I then clicked on the link and read through the "live update" thread.  There was a story about Lebron not liking the decision,  a story about how some protester in St Louis called abortion an act of love, and a couple others that had zero to do with anything approximating rage. 

There were 3 short stories I found that were even about public protests. One was about 20 people being arrested in New York (no reporting of specific violence or property destruction). There was another story about a tactical alert being issued in LA (and subsequently cancelled after nothing happened).

Oh shit.  OK, this is the one that justifies the whole Night of Rage headline.  Protesters  breached security and are holding lawmakers hostage?  Fuck.

Protesters threatened to break the AZ Senate entryway glass," Republican Arizona State Senator Wendy Rogers tweeted

So, they didn't?

Sure.  When you want a crowd to disperse you use pepper spray.  Works particularly well in entertainment districts after the bars close.  But wait, they're still continuing and it's "very dangerous"?  Well did they disperse or not?

Feeling safe at the Capitol as I sit by 3 of my fellow senators who are armed," added Arizona State Legislator Warren Petersen.

LOL.  OK.  

"Violent pro-abortion protestors' attempts of an insurrection at the Arizona State Senate were thwarted Friday night, thanks to the swift actions from local and state law enforcement," said Kim Q (Kim Q, LOL)

Oh, come on!  It sounds like angry people protested and stopped at the front doors.  Did people break windows and push down doors or not?  Because there's literally nothing in the story to suggest they broke anything, or breached the building in any way.

I saved my favorite for last.  Note the quotes in hostage.  They also did this with the word insurrection.  Of course this wasn't a hostage situation, nor was it an insurrection. By all accounts right there in the article it was a tense but legal (ok maybe they didn't pull a permit) protest.  By using quotes, Fox can "report" (see what I did there) the situation as an insurrection with hostages to their uneducated readers, while only the more discerning eyes will realize that they're really just (very) selectively quoting the words from dingbat MAGA lawmaker tweets.

100% chance I hear about this from my in-laws at some point in the next week or so.

• Rage+1 1

The protestors interrupted an Arizona senate that was enabling the peaceful transfer of power which is the bedrock of democracy? Oh, they didn’t? 

That being said, if they committed a crime, arrest them all, charge them, and lock them up. I’m all for the rule of law. If there was a democratic Governor urging the protesters to barge into the Senate, arrest his fucking ass. 

I don’t give a fuck what party the person is in, what law agency they’re from, if they broke the law, fucking charge them. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The protestors interrupted an Arizona senate that was enabling the peaceful transfer of power which is the bedrock of democracy? Oh, they didn’t? 

That being said, if they committed a crime, arrest them all, charge them, and lock them up. I’m all for the rule of law. If there was a democratic Governor urging the protesters to barge into the Senate, arrest his fucking ass. 

I don’t give a fuck what party the person is in, what law agency they’re from, if they broke the law, fucking charge them. 

Agreed.  The point though is that Fox, by essentially publishing a summary of dubious tweets under the guise of a news report, Is intentionally and in bad faith, leading their readers to believe that the tweet spin is how it actually went down.  

Dummies will read (ok skim) this article and actually walk away believing that the protesters commited a crime, we should arrest them all, charge them, and lock them up. We should also, apparently form a commision to invistigate it. Cuz insurrection.

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

So, they didn't?

LOL.  OK.  

Good analysis.  They had to take something very boring (someone protested) and reeeeeaally misrepresent it in order to manufacture a story where the scary left threatens the law-abiding right... even though nothing like that happened.  "Unrest Sweeps America!!!!!"

It reminded me of this story which is just covered in bullshit from start to finish:

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/nj-mom-forced-vaccine-family-wedding-er

Actual story:  Previously vaccine-denying woman CHOSE to get vaccine in order to go into New York City and attend a dress fitting.  She got the expected side effects (headache).  She went to ER as if this were an emergency, where I promise you the staff rolled their fucking eyes as they sent her home.  And now she's fine and also far less likely to die from covid.  That's it.  That's the entire (non-) story.

Fox story:  Woman with high degree of medical training (bullshit) conferred with her doctor who agreed with her not to take vaccine (bullshit), but forced to take it by oppressive laws (bullshit), got "blazing headache" (snowflake bullshit) and high blood pressure (article strongly implies vaccine caused lifelong hypertension, which is complete bullshit), all described in the first paragraph as "medical emergency she never imagined" (you never imagined getting a headache from a vaccine?  And you are somehow held up as a person with advanced medical expertise?  bullshit).   And then concluded with editorializing "mandates are bad," which is NOT supported by the story AT ALL.  Also, let's put a picture up of a woman in a wedding dress, smiling after enduring this unimaginable horror (bullshit).

If you consumed no news at all, you'd be better informed than if you drink down this manufactured-outrage nonsense.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, TexasHooch said:

Dummies will read (ok skim) this article and actually walk away believing that the protesters commited a crime, we should arrest them all, charge them, and lock them up.

Don't forget the outrage upon reading on FoxNews a few weeks later this doesn't happen.

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Least self-aware people on the planet.

Projection. Some of them, like Marsha Blackburn, who has IQ is lower than the average annual temperature of Tennessee, are not self-aware.

Others are highly self-aware evil fucks, which is why their party projects like a MOFO as a primary communication strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.foxnews.com/us/highland-park-illinois-4th-july-shooting-suspect-who-robert-crimo  

They did some real detective work in this article.  They got the aspiring rapper bit, the youtube videos, the really creepy vimeo video, the fact that his dad was a mayoral candidate, and that he idolized Lee Harvey Oswald.  

Yep, I think that's just about everything.

image.png

Visiting one of the parents over the weekend. Come out in the morning to see Fox on the TV with some guy selling his book in an "interview" about how the "Left wants to cancel the 4th of July."

The next day, I was back home in my +52 points Biden-voting neighborhood where we had a kids 4th of July parade followed by a party at the park with a band playing patriotic music, burgers/dogs, and raffle prizes, that was attended by hundreds. I guess the 'hood didn't get the memo that we were supposed to be cancelling July 4th instead of celebrating.

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

How is it they are using a scare tactic from the 30s that is presumably working on people still?

Because some rich and powerful people who make a shit ton of money off alcohol/pharma/crime/politics  don’t want weed to be legal.

On 7/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Visiting one of the parents over the weekend. Come out in the morning to see Fox on the TV with some guy selling his book in an "interview" about how the "Left wants to cancel the 4th of July."

The next day, I was back home in my +52 points Biden-voting neighborhood where we had a kids 4th of July parade followed by a party at the park with a band playing patriotic music, burgers/dogs, and raffle prizes, that was attended by hundreds. I guess the 'hood didn't get the memo that we were supposed to be cancelling July 4th instead of celebrating.

Did you tell your family the right is much better at cancelling the 4th of July then show them a picture of fuckboy draped in a trump flag?  

On 6/27/2022 at 1:50 PM, Pods said:

Projection. Some of them, like Marsha Blackburn, who has IQ is lower than the average annual temperature of Tennessee, are not self-aware.

Others are highly self-aware evil fucks, which is why their party projects like a MOFO as a primary communication strategy. 

The best gaslighters and projectors have some sociopathy in them, and by some I mean a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don’t ever watch Fox News. But I paused on it for about five seconds earlier in prime time. They were talking about how “the left” wants to make Popeye gay. This is what our parents call the news now.

Well he is gay. Most super ripped and muscled up guys are. Everyone knows that. They even have a name. Muscle daddies duh.  Popeye is totally gay and Olive Oil is just his beard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't understand why FN keeps putting Pete B on to make them look stupid.  Also, can we make him President ASAP?

Dems have a short bench. He has to be at the top of the list if Biden doesn't run. 

20 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't understand why FN keeps putting Pete B on to make them look stupid.  Also, can we make him President ASAP?

Yep Pete rules.

He has a "young, bright, wunderkind, privileged in wealth/education" stink to him that a lot of marginalized peoples reflexively distrust and/or actively hate, though.

Too bad, because the kid has got "it" in spades.

Edited by Vegas64
  • Hook 'Em 1