How Fox News works

retread

On 11/29/2022 at 12:33 PM, safe sex said:

I believe you mean Terra Ryzing

for that particular starrcade he went by jean-paul lavesque (almost his actual name).  his talent was really apparent in that match (though he lost it to a continual undercard wrestler).  apparently that match is the one vince saw that led to him going to WWF. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

image.png.51da8b5687c162e4c8398951739ca238.png

the totally average and absolutely middle class surlyite is going to have to decide on spending $34,413.05 on this, or on the his and hers GMC trucks, but not both, this christmas.  it's just like being bob crachit

https://i.redd.it/a9y00t7sb0y11.jpg

56 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the totally average and absolutely middle class surlyite is going to have to decide on spending $34,413.05 on this, or on the his and hers GMC trucks, but not both, this christmas.  it's just like being bob crachit

We had to let go of the scullery maid (THANKS BRANDON) so the kitchen maid has to do her own fucking dishes, but at least we were able to keep one of the manservants.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:50 PM, NWBuck said:

That's the same shit ESPN used to do... have one of their "analysts" (Jaworski comes to mind) critique or complement a star player, then spend three days debating the comments.

That’s not by accident. I’ve been looking around for the article, I’m sure I’ve got it bookmarked somewhere, but I recall reading that Roger Ailes copied some of the techniques used by ESPN when he was creating Fox News. I’ve read several that I’ve bookmarked and haven’t found the one I’m looking for yet. Each time I get steamed about how, yeah, I don’t need you to tell me how they created a propaganda machine masquerading as a news network. I can see that. It just amazes me that millions of their viewers can’t see it. How people who grew up watching Walter Cronkite and David Brinkley can tune in to Fox News and think, finally, a network that’s reporting the real news. Especially when it’s so light on news and heavy on opinion.

I understand that it’s their own opinions they hear being reflected back at them and reinforced, and that’s why it’s appealing to them. It’s just depressing. I brought up to my mom about how “Judge” Jeanine refers to Democrats as “Demon Rats,” and how she doesn’t just say it, she growls it. And my mom said that yes, she’s heard her say that. And I told her I can’t understand how she could watch that and not turn the channel in disgust saying “This isn’t a news network!” I spoke to her on Thursday and told her I assume she likes Ron DeSantis now and she said she thinks he’d be a good candidate. I told her of course she does because that’s what Fox News is telling her to think. She’s been brainwashed and I told her so. I know I’m not going to open her closed mind but I’m not going to stop trying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s not by accident. I’ve been looking around for the article, I’m sure I’ve got it bookmarked somewhere, but I recall reading that Roger Ailes copied some of the techniques used by ESPN when he was creating Fox News. I’ve read several that I’ve bookmarked and haven’t found the one I’m looking for yet. Each time I get steamed about how, yeah, I don’t need you to tell me how they created a propaganda machine masquerading as a news network. I can see that. It just amazes me that millions of their viewers can’t see it. How people who grew up watching Walter Cronkite and David Brinkley can tune in to Fox News and think, finally, a network that’s reporting the real news. Especially when it’s so light on news and heavy on opinion.

I understand that it’s their own opinions they hear being reflected back at them and reinforced, and that’s why it’s appealing to them. It’s just depressing. I brought up to my mom about how “Judge” Jeanine refers to Democrats as “Demon Rats,” and how she doesn’t just say it, she growls it. And my mom said that yes, she’s heard her say that. And I told her I can’t understand how she could watch that and not turn the channel in disgust saying “This isn’t a news network!” I spoke to her on Thursday and told her I assume she likes Ron DeSantis now and she said she thinks he’d be a good candidate. I told her of course she does because that’s what Fox News is telling her to think. She’s been brainwashed and I told her so. I know I’m not going to open her closed mind but I’m not going to stop trying. 

I can't have a civil conversation about fox news.  It's something I need to work on, but it's just so god damn dumb.  Whenever MIL brings up something she obviously heard there, I just yell "FOX NEWS BRAIN!" and leave the room.  Probably not that helpful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I watched the entire Starrcade 1990 on Peacock last week. That was Jim Herd era WCW, with Ric Flair entering on a spaceship and wrestling as the masked Black Scorpion in the main event (while basically not doing anything because if he even moved everyone would recognize it was Ric Flair), and half of the matches were a global tag team tournament with random jobber wrestlers from the UK, Russia, etc., that looked like shit and that nobody cared about.  The best match was Arn Anderson and Barry Windham vs. Doom in a street fight, so naturally all 4 of them wore starched jeans and cowboy boots - even though Doom’s gimmick was they were from the hood -  to signify that these were real stakes, and obviously nobody wants mobility in a real fight.  And I loved every minute of it. I have a problem.

I then followed that up by watching like 4 different War Games matches, which I also enjoyed way too much.  Two things on those:

1. Call me crazy, but I think those coin tosses might have been rigged.  It seems more than a little suspicious that the Four Horsemen ALWAYS won the 2-on-1 advantage.

2. The best moment was in Wrestlewar 1991 when the finish was supposed to be Brian Pillman getting knocked out by a Sid Vicious powerbomb and not being able to continue.  So, Sid Vicious gets him up for the powerbomb, but the cage is too low.  Pillman’s feet hit the top of the cage, Sid can’t rotate him far enough, and he ends up botching it and spiking Pillman head and neck first into the mat.   It looks horrifying, and the wrestlers and ref are legitimately checking on Pillman to make sure he’s not unconscious or paralyzed.  

Bad mistake, but it coincidentally makes for a perfect way to get to the planned ending where Pillman is hurt so bad he can’t continue, right? You would think so, but instead Sid is like, “Well, I need to fix this and land a powerbomb the right way” - so he delicately picks Pillman up again, awkwardly holds him off to the side so he’s barely off the ground and won’t hit the top of the cage, and then him gives the gentlest, softest looking powerbomb ever.  And then everyone has to pretend that’s the one that knocked Pillman out.  Always a real man of genius, that Sid Vicious.

Oh yeah, this is the politics board.  Um, to make this topical, I guess Fox News sucks.  

'91 War Games might be the best/most exciting, but the 87/88 matches are my favorites. A War Games without Arn Anderson starting the match just feels wrong. Is there a pro wrestling thread?

Fox News needs to be shut down.

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I would guess that Murdoch would not be involved in the specifics of individual anchors going on and on about Dominion voting machines. But Dominion lawyers might be able to get Murdoch to discuss the culture he encouraged/allowed and how Fox News people are motivated by mgmt.

I know nothing about Murdoch’s mental state but I doubt any of his lawyers want a 91 year old to get into a deposition. Unless each answer is “I either don’t know or recall.” 

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh come the fuck on.  That's a Mike Myers character right?  IT HAS TO BE!  John Paul Mac Isaac?!?

Take Jimmy Joe Jim Bob, gussy up his name, make it sound more continental, and replace the straw hat and overalls with a pom pom beret and matching sweater.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I watched the entire Starrcade 1990 on Peacock last week. That was Jim Herd era WCW, with Ric Flair entering on a spaceship and wrestling as the masked Black Scorpion in the main event

If you haven’t heard commentary by James E. Cornette regarding that fucking clown, you are depriving yourself.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 1

To pin your 2-year party platform on the possible contents of a non-government employee's laptop hard drive turned over by a blind MacBook technician named 'MAC'................it's a bold strategy Cotton.  And somehow it's working.  

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

To pin your 2-year party platform on the possible contents of a non-government employee's laptop hard drive turned over by a blind MacBook technician named 'MAC'................it's a bold strategy Cotton.  And somehow it's working.  

Stranger things have happened. An investigation into a shady land deal wound up finding a blowjob 4 years later.

Just now, RPM said:

Stranger things have happened. An investigation into a shady land deal wound up finding a blowjob 4 years later.

To be fair to the land deal, it had a gorgeous view.  Of the top of her head.  The perjury thing was a thing, it was just the nature of the backstory that was frivolous.  

I get the "But Nancy Pelosi...", "January 6th Committee is a witch hunt", "Stolen Elections."  It's all bullshit, but at least it has its roots and vitriol based on people actually in government and elections.  Their cardinal platform plank is an un-elected dude's computer which probably contains nothing that can't be gleaned from his online footprint.  Their God King knew about it for years and did nothing about it whilst running the CIA, FBI, and NSA.  A dude used his last name to get ass and a cushy job.  He had no access to classified information, so he had nothing to trade on but an 8-ball, a smile, and again....his last name.  If he was found to have stolen classified materials and kept them unsecured to trade for favors/money...wouldn't that kinda thing be like a crime or something?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If he was found to have stolen classified materials and kept them unsecured to trade for favors/money...wouldn't that kinda thing be like a crime or something?  

But we have yet to find any credible evidence that this is nothing more than some unhinged oppo work. You want to start digging into political families, you might want to zero in on Florida and Texas.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It really says something about the state of our society that these people readily admit they are lying about reality, yet their followers don't care.  Just broken human beings.  

In addition to admitting in court that they are liars on air, they also have admitted that no one should take them seriously as "news". 

We should design some kind of pamphlet explaining all this, that we can pass out to our families at Christmas. "Why Fox is propaganda designed to melt your brain, with explanations from Fox employees themselves under oath". 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

In addition to admitting in court that they are liars on air, they also have admitted that no one should take them seriously as "news". 

We should design some kind of pamphlet explaining all this, that we can pass out to our families at Christmas. "Why Fox is propaganda designed to melt your brain, with explanations from Fox employees themselves under oath". 

This should be the preface on the first page-

"If it's bad, I say it's fake. If it's good, I say that's the most accurate poll ever."

-Donald Trump

CPAC, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/12/politics/donald-trump-polls-cpac-straw-poll/index.html

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It really says something about the state of our society that these people readily admit they are lying about reality, yet their followers don't care.  Just broken human beings.  

Their followers will never find out about the lying because Fox News won't report on it.

• Hook 'Em 2