How Fox News works

retread

https://www.mediaite.com/news/this-has-to-stop-now-new-bombshell-emails-show-fox-news-ceo-warning-fact-checking-trump-is-bad-business/

Dominion Voting Systems made slides used during a Tuesday court hearing public on Wednesday, offering additional details into the response from top Fox News executives to then President Donald Trump’s outlandish claims of voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election. Dominion is currently suing Fox News for $1.6 billion, alleging defamation.

One newly un-redacted email from Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott to Executive Vice President of Primetime Programming Meade Cooper showed Scott insisting Fox News journalists stop fact-checking Trump claims. Fox News anchor Eric Shawn on multiple occasions pushed back on Trump’s false claims on air.

The email from December 2nd, 2020 with a subject line “Re: Fox News’ Eric Shawn Fact-Checks Trump ‘Dump’ Claims” read:

I’m going to address this with you and Jay and Lowell tomorrow.

This is bad business and there clearly is a lack of understanding what is happening in these shows.

The audience is furious and we are just feeding them material.

Bad for business.

See the Dominion slide of the email below:

SPONSORED CONTENT

Growth & Activation Report

BY GALILEO FINANCIAL TECHNOLOGIES

Fox News tells Mediaite, “This is not about fact-checking – the issue at hand is one host calling out another.”

An additional email from Scott on November 11th, 2021 read, “Our talent must stop disrespecting the audience.” Scott blasted Fox News host Neil Cavuto for abruptly cutting away from a November 9th press conference by then Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany — who is now a Fox News host — for making baseless accusations days after the 2020 election that Democrats committed voter fraud.

In another email from November 19, Scott wrote, “I’m getting major incoming on her editorializing at the top of Dana’s now and her dismissive tone and indifference to the audience.”

“We need to manage this,” she continued, expressing alarm that Fox News fans were canceling their subscriptions to streaming service Fox Nation:

I saw she just did a hit in Cavuto. I hope she didn’t double down

I can’t keep defending these repoders who don’t understand our viewers and how to handle stories
The audience feels we crapped on and we have damaged ther trust and belief in us.

We lost 25k subs from FOX NATION

We can fix this but we can’t smirk at our viewers any longer

Scott appeared to be referring to Kristin Fisher in the email, a Fox News White House correspondent who left the network in May of 2021. Fox News tells Mediaite, however, “This is about the tone and delivery of the correspondent; it has nothing to do with fact checking.”

An additional email shows Scott pushing to book conspiracy theorist Mike Lindell as a guest, writing on December 19, 2020 – also mentioning Secretary of State Mike Pompeo – “They would both get ratings.”

The voting technology company is suing Fox News, alleging the network knowingly aired election lies and conspiracy theories about the 2020 presidential election — falsely implicating Dominion.

“Executives at all levels of Fox — both (Fox News Network) and (Fox Corporation) — knowingly opened Fox’s airwaves to false conspiracy theories about Dominion,” Dominion wrote in a recently unsealed filing. A five-week trial is currently scheduled to begin on April 17.

A Fox News spokesperson responded to Mediaite with the following statement, “These documents once again demonstrate Dominion’s continued reliance on cherry-picked quotes without context to generate headlines in order to distract from the facts of this case. The foundational right to a free press is at stake and we will continue to fiercely advocate for the First Amendment in protecting the role of news organizations to cover the news.”

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There need to be lawsuits, class action and otherwise, from all angles for the rest of Fox's existence.  Grind them down.  Destroy them.  They cannot get away with what they have done.  They have arguably destroyed a country.

Sue them for punitive damages

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sue them for punitive damages

To this day, when the lawyer goes from being salty and confrontational "Who are my clients?!?" to after Sol apologizes, and the lawyer's tone gets all comforting and calm...I crack the fuck up every fucking time.  30 years later, that stupid fucking prank call still makes me double over in laughter and it's about as clever as Tucker in the depths of an ether binge.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

We've already seen a mega shit ton of evidence that all kinds of people at fox knew that the election fraud allegations were false, including from higher-ups to include Murdoch and the CEO.

What we haven't really seen is the "institutional" knowledge that the allegations were false.  I understand that according to Delaware law (where the case is), only one person with editorial responsibility need have that knowledge for actual malice to lie,

But this stuff shows that the institutional fact checkers showed everyone who relies on fact checkers that this shit was false.  That pretty clearly shows institutional knowledge of falsity and either deliberate or reckless publishing of the false information.

I have to believe that they are fucking toast.

However, this is in the context of a summary judgment, which decides whether this goes to trial or not. I think the judge is most likely to let this go to trial, including on the issue of actual malice.

However, this sets it up so that if the jury doesn't find actual malice, the judge can JNOV/JMOL the jury and find actual malice and give Dominion the victory.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

51 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

SNL needs to update its old sketch of Tom brokaw going on vacation and cutting headlines for just in case something strange happens to Gerald ford, but with tucker saying wild shit about trump. 

Bill Maher does something like that.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'm guessing this is referencing the same thing, but I just got this on my phone and my god this may be the worst summary I've ever seen:

NYT ALERT:

Dominion vs Fox News Lawsuit

A judge said the case was strong enough to conclude that Fox hosts made false claims about Dominion machines, a major setback for the network.

No shit?!?!

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm guessing this is referencing the same thing, but I just got this on my phone and my god this may be the worst summary I've ever seen:

NYT ALERT:

Dominion vs Fox News Lawsuit

A judge said the case was strong enough to conclude that Fox hosts made false claims about Dominion machines, a major setback for the network.

No shit?!?!

What that means is that there will be no evidence offered concerning the truth or falsity of the defamatory statements.

They are conclusively deemed to be false.  Not opinion, but statements of fact and false ones.  The jury will be so instructed.  I'd think that's a pretty major blow to Fox as jurors will be instructed that they lied and will only determine if there is an excuse for lying.  Tough way to commence deliberations if you're Fox.

The remaining issues for the jury then are a) actual malice b) fair reporting privilege and c) damages. ETA:  whoops, judge took that off the table, too.  This is going to be a smooth buttfucking.

Trial starts April 17.

It's in Delaware, so I imagine there's a fair smattering of both Magats and sensible people in the jury pool.  Voir Dire will probably be muy interesante.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 3

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What that means is that there will be no evidence offered concerning the truth or falsity of the defamatory statements.

They are conclusively deemed to be false.  Not opinion, but statements of fact and false ones.  The jury will be so instructed.  I'd think that's a pretty major blow to Fox as jurors will be instructed that they lied and will only determine if there is an excuse for lying.  Tough way to commence deliberations if you're Fox.

The remaining issues for the jury then are a) actual malice b) fair reporting privilege and c) damages. ETA:  whoops, judge took that off the table, too.  This is going to be a smooth buttfucking.

Trial starts April 17.

It's in Delaware, so I imagine there's a fair smattering of both Magats and sensible people in the jury pool.  Voir Dire will probably be muy interesante.

Well that’s fucking way awesomer than I thought. 

• Haha 1

Opinion here. https://courts.delaware.gov/Opinions/Download.aspx?id=345820

Reading between the lines, Judge thinks Dominion has proven actual malice, but it's an intensely factual question that he's going to let go to the jury, but as I speculated earlier, might take it away if the jury fucks it up.

Also, I see some skepticism from the Judge on Dominion's damage model.  But he's letting that go to the jury, although judge-trimming of damages awards is extremely common, and I think might happen here.

On 4/1/2023 at 1:11 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Opinion here. https://courts.delaware.gov/Opinions/Download.aspx?id=345820

Reading between the lines, Judge thinks Dominion has proven actual malice, but it's an intensely factual question that he's going to let go to the jury, but as I speculated earlier, might take it away if the jury fucks it up.

Also, I see some skepticism from the Judge on Dominion's damage model.  But he's letting that go to the jury, although judge-trimming of damages awards is extremely common, and I think might happen here.

It does seem 1.6 billion is excessive if we are talking about purely actual damages since Dominion is unlikely worth that much.  But doesn’t that amount also include punitive damages or such?  If so then a large amount seems reasonable to actually cause pain to Fox and make them think twice in the future over a similar situation.  

17 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

It does seem 1.6 billion is excessive if we are talking about purely actual damages since Dominion is unlikely worth that much.  But doesn’t that amount also include punitive damages or such?  If so then a large amount seems reasonable to actually cause pain to Fox and make them think twice in the future over a similar situation.  

No, that's the compensatory part.  Punitive damages appear to be available under New York law (I had said earlier Delaware law but was wrong), and I think can constitutionally be trebled/triple the compensatory award.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’m waiting for that judge to get as close to “fox is demonstrably guilty by the measure of the law, so go back and find for dominion and pick a number” as he can with jury instructions and then have the jury hang because a conservative jurist that got in there refuses.  And the judge then has to issue a bench ruling or whatever all the correct terms are. 
that might generate some content. 

On 3/30/2023 at 2:52 PM, Captainant said:

hoo boy fox is gonna be more fucked than a sheep after a bondfire

I'm no law dawg but if this isn't enough to pass the "actual malice" standard, I don't know what would!

(Average Fox viewer wondering whether Dinh is from China or Japan)

On 4/2/2023 at 2:33 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

My neighbor in Wyoming is a Vietnam vet. When we left, I sold the house to someone with a name much like viet Dinh, though I never met the person.  I wonder if I created a set up like Hank and Kahn. 

A lot of the Vietnam vets I know seem to really like the Vietnamese people, so...maybe?

Was wondering if there is a way to pass federal legislation that would prohibit the broadcast of the FNC on military installations throughout the world, since it has been publicly been exposed to be a disinformation channel?

• Hook 'Em 1

It's also good to point out that it was ILLEGAL for foreigners to own US Broadcast Television stations.  New Gingrich and the GOP changed the law for Rupert Murdoch and our country's level of discourse and honesty in reporting fell off a cliff. 

I think the real damages to Fox are going to be when their lying scumbag hosts have to repeatedly admit, "Yeah our viewers are fucking stupid, but we know what stupid people want to hear! Lies!!!"

This will be repeated over and over and over.  In a normal world where viewers cared about facts and honesty this would destroy a news network.  but Fox knows their audience and a continuous stream of dishonesty is what they want. So the damage won't be as bad with Fox because of the wanton ignorance of their viewers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, horn4life said:

It's also good to point out that it was ILLEGAL for foreigners to own US Broadcast Television stations.  New Gingrich and the GOP changed the law for Rupert Murdoch and our country's level of discourse and honesty in reporting fell off a cliff. 

I think the real damages to Fox are going to be when their lying scumbag hosts have to repeatedly admit, "Yeah our viewers are fucking stupid, but we know what stupid people want to hear! Lies!!!"

This will be repeated over and over and over.  In a normal world where viewers cared about facts and honesty this would destroy a news network.  but Fox knows their audience and a continuous stream of dishonesty is what they want. So the damage won't be as bad with Fox because of the wanton ignorance of their viewers.

that's why they must be destroyed

• Drool 1

Exactly this.
  • Hook 'Em 1