How Fox News works

retread

15 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

So the GOP is all in favor of investigating government officials who’s policy decisions may have been influenced by monetary gains from an outside source?  Did I hear that correctly??

clarence-thomas-clarence-thomas-laugh.gi

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Fox misled the judge and Dominion's counsel?  To hell you say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/04/11/dominion-judge-chides-fox-murdoch/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

An attorney for Dominion Voting Systems alleged Tuesday that Fox News withheld information that would have entitled Dominion to obtain more of network co-founder Rupert Murdoch’s communications in the election-technology company’s $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit.

Justin Nelson, an attorney for Dominion, told the judge in the case that the company had been led to believe that Murdoch held the title of officer only for Fox’s parent company. But over the past few days, he said, Dominion learned that the mogul also holds an officer title for Fox News.

“This alone has meant that we are missing a whole bunch of Rupert Murdoch documents that we otherwise would have been entitled to,” Nelson said. “It’s very troubling that this is where we are. It’s something that has really affected how we have litigated this case.”

Judge Eric M. Davis echoed Nelson’s frustration with Fox, saying the missing information about Murdoch’s title may have affected his decision-making regarding a recent ruling that narrowed the scope of the case. “I could have made an entirely wrong decision,” Davis said.

Addressing an attorney for Fox News, the judge said the network has a “credibility problem.”

“My problem is that it’s been represented more than once to me that he’s not an officer of Fox News,” Davis said. “I need to feel comfortable that when you represent something to me, it’s the truth. I’m not very happy right now. I don’t know why this is such a difficult thing.”

Dominion is suing Fox over false claims that allies of Donald Trump made on its programs alleging that the company rigged its voting machines to flip the 2020 election to Joe Biden. Internal Fox communications made public as part of the discovery process showed Murdoch, among many other Fox executives and hosts, expressing deep skepticism over these claims, even as the network continued to air them.

It remains unclear whether the 92-year-old billionaire will testify during the trial, which starts with jury selection Thursday. Davis said at a previous hearing that he believes Murdoch is relevant enough to the case to be compelled to testify, but no appearance has been scheduled yet.

An attorney for Fox said Murdoch’s Fox News officership was an “honorific” and pointed out that Murdoch gave his corporate title, chair of Fox Corp., during his deposition. A spokesperson for Fox Corp pointed out that "Rupert Murdoch has been listed as executive chairman of Fox News in our [Securities and Exchange Commission] filings for several years and this filing was referenced by Dominion’s own attorney during his deposition.”

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

“I need to feel comfortable that when you represent something to me, it’s the truth. I’m not very happy right now. I don’t know why this is such a difficult thing.

—But sir, you are aware my client is Fox News right??

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Maybe they should try telling the judge that he shouldn't expect them to ever say the truth, since despite the name they're an entertainment network and not a news network?

But wow what a strange pattern for ALL of the right wing fucks from alex jones to rupert murdoch to donald trump to play fuck fuck games with the justice system to throw sand in the gears! Will this judge make fox face any punishment or repercussion for their lies? They didn't for the jones or trump cases yet!

I can't find a free clip, but if y'all remember the 80's cold war movie "The Falcon & the Snowman" with Hutton and Penn?  In the end, after their treason is revealed...one of the dads explains that their younger brother got beat up at school for being related to a traitor to Russia.  And that the teachers just let it happen because of the damage it did to our country on behalf of totalitarianism.  I picture that kid grew up to be Tucker Carlson.  

I was actually watching Fox News for about 5 minutes during lunch yesterday before I had to change the channel.  The next rant has to do with the actual name of the channel.  I don't see how it is legal for a major network to call themselves a news channel when they really aren't.  Follow me on this and tell me why I am wrong because it is really bugging me for some reason.  What I found interesting was that the topic of Fox News was something like "People and businesses are leaving Democrat run cities in mass because of crime" and it got me thinking, is something like this really what would be on a national news channel and "phrased" that way?  It could be "people leaving large cities or large urban areas but they have to put that Democrat title on it.  I get that they are just playing to their viewership, but I don't see why Mabel Johnson in rural Texas/Alabama/Iowa, etc... should really care if people are leaving cities like San Francisco, New York, Chicago or anywhere else.  I was trying to figure out the psychology involved with this type of narrative.  Is it simply to make the viewer vote Republican because the Dems screw up everything and they will soon screw up your slice of heaven in rural America?  If this is the case, then how is that really news but just a propaganda network for one side of the aisle and should that be legal. I mean, if you turned on CBS nightly news and all you saw were titles like "Russia attacks Ukraine because the Republicans are crooks" or "Child abducted in Tennessee because the Republicans are pedophiles" I would think there would be a way to stop that.  Rant over but it just kind of pissed me off and made me feel sad that there are so many people watching that shit and being brainwashed not just on the Tucker/Hannity type shows but just the regular messaging all day long from basic non-partisan stories. 

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I don't see why Mabel Johnson in rural Texas/Alabama/Iowa, etc... should really care if people are leaving cities like San Francisco, New York, Chicago or anywhere else.  I was trying to figure out the psychology involved with this type of narrative.  Is it simply to make the viewer vote Republican because the Dems screw up everything and they will soon screw up your slice of heaven in rural America? 

The purpose is to paint "democrats" as evil so their viewers will a) vote against them and b) foment violence.  It's pretty simple.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Will this judge make fox face any punishment or repercussion for their lies?

So this is what I don't get.  The article reads like the judge is pissed, but it's too late now to do anything about it.  How could that possibly be?  Can't the judge now say, "ok, since you obviously lied, the Dominion team gets all of the communications that you were hiding"?  What am I missing here?

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So this is what I don't get.  The article reads like the judge is pissed, but it's too late now to do anything about it.  How could that possibly be?  Can't the judge now say, "ok, since you obviously lied, the Dominion team gets all of the communications that you were hiding"?  What am I missing here?

The issue at hand is that fox used that lie to shield murdoch from depositions - and those aren't something you can just exactly snap your finger and make happen with all the different moving pieces that would want to be involved on the plaintiff side. It's too late to fix that, and there's no real way to fix that (that I know of)

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the actual legal reasoning from @TwiceHorn to explain why I'm overreacting. I just doubt that this fuckery is going to meaningfully harm fox at all - which is a signal for other fuckheads that they can play these fuck fuck games too

52 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The issue at hand is that fox used that lie to shield murdoch from depositions - and those aren't something you can just exactly snap your finger and make happen with all the different moving pieces that would want to be involved on the plaintiff side. It's too late to fix that, and there's no real way to fix that (that I know of)

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the actual legal reasoning from @TwiceHorn to explain why I'm overreacting. I just doubt that this fuckery is going to meaningfully harm fox at all - which is a signal for other fuckheads that they can play these fuck fuck games too

This is a bad deal for Fox.  I can't quite figure out what real difference it makes to the case, though. To quote the judge from the article:

“I don’t know if this is something we have to turn the battleship around, that it’s that big of a deal,” he said. “We’ll deal with it.”

Murdoch was known to be an officer of one of the parties to the suit and documents were produced and his deposition taken.  I find it hard to imagine that documents were withheld on the basis of Murdoch's corporate position at one party but not the other, or that Susman would let them get away with that if they were.  I think the big issue here is not Fox News' liability, that has been shown in spades, but Fox Corp.'s liability as a parent corporation.  That Murdoch was involved at the Fox Corp. level should be sufficient to expose Fox Corp. to liability.

It's certainly not going to help Fox in any way during the trial of the matter.  Unfortunately, unlike a federal judge, it appears that Delaware judges are forbidden from "commenting on the evidence," which would be one way the judge could spank them.

Substantively, I don't think this really affects anything.  I'm guessing that Susman caught them in a lie to the court, which is bad enough in and of itself, but may be exaggerating the actual effect to make Fox and their lawyers look even worse.

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was actually watching Fox News for about 5 minutes during lunch yesterday before I had to change the channel.  The next rant has to do with the actual name of the channel.  I don't see how it is legal for a major network to call themselves a news channel when they really aren't.  Follow me on this and tell me why I am wrong because it is really bugging me for some reason.  What I found interesting was that the topic of Fox News was something like "People and businesses are leaving Democrat run cities in mass because of crime" and it got me thinking, is something like this really what would be on a national news channel and "phrased" that way?  It could be "people leaving large cities or large urban areas but they have to put that Democrat title on it.  I get that they are just playing to their viewership, but I don't see why Mabel Johnson in rural Texas/Alabama/Iowa, etc... should really care if people are leaving cities like San Francisco, New York, Chicago or anywhere else.  I was trying to figure out the psychology involved with this type of narrative.  Is it simply to make the viewer vote Republican because the Dems screw up everything and they will soon screw up your slice of heaven in rural America?  If this is the case, then how is that really news but just a propaganda network for one side of the aisle and should that be legal. I mean, if you turned on CBS nightly news and all you saw were titles like "Russia attacks Ukraine because the Republicans are crooks" or "Child abducted in Tennessee because the Republicans are pedophiles" I would think there would be a way to stop that.  Rant over but it just kind of pissed me off and made me feel sad that there are so many people watching that shit and being brainwashed not just on the Tucker/Hannity type shows but just the regular messaging all day long from basic non-partisan stories. 

I invite you to step into the thread on the cash app guy getting stabbed in San Francisco in DT to see this phenomenon on full display.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

LOL.  Rupert Murdoch's son Lachlan Murdoch believes that his brother, James Murdoch, has been feeding lines to the producers of Succession --- and it's creating friction within the family. You can't make this shit up.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/apr/13/succession-anxiety-bombshell-claims-rupert-murdoch-family

• Haha 5

Is the assumption that Fox has attempted to settle but Dominion has said no?

I don't claim to know all of the facts of this story but if Fox (& its top people) knowingly lied and those lies significantly harmed a 3rd party, as juror I would be ok financially crippling Fox.  Dominion, you want $1.6B, here's a $5B award.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is the assumption that Fox has attempted to settle but Dominion has said no?

I don't claim to know all of the facts of this story but if Fox (& its top people) knowingly lied and those lies significantly harmed a 3rd party, as juror I would be ok financially crippling Fox.  Dominion, you want $1.6B, here's a $5B award.

Apparently there was an attempt to settle but they couldn't come to an agreement. No surprise as a settlement probably wouldn't have done much to help Dominion's reputation that Fox worked to destroy with lies.

Redactions from Fox email revealed:

https://www.nbcnews.com/media/see-fox-news-tried-redact-dominion-defamation-case-rcna77481

In a text message on Nov. 21, 2020, that Fox News tried to keep redacted, prime-time host Tucker Carlson indicated to Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis that he didn’t believe her claims about Dominion’s voting machines and thought they were “shockingly reckless.” Yet just two days later, Carlson was on air expressing concern about the “security of our electronic voting machines.”

“This is a real issue, no matter who raises it or who tries to dismiss it out of hand as a conspiracy theory,” he added.

------------------

On Nov. 12, 2020, Hannity sent a message to a group of producers and expressed his concern about a drop in ratings.

“The difference between Tuesday and Wednesday ratings is we had nothing new and less hard hitting imho,” he said in the message Fox News wanted to keep redacted.

He then followed up with a solution: “We need to own the dominion story.”

At this point I'm waiting to read a text/email from one of these goons saying "Hey let's destroy Dominion just for the hell of it. They have done nothing wrong, but I'm bored and it would be funny to cripple their company forever just for the lulz. Also it will make us all even more rich."

On 4/14/2023 at 4:09 PM, Red Five said:

At this point I'm waiting to read a text/email from one of these goons saying "Hey let's destroy Dominion just for the hell of it. They have done nothing wrong, but I'm bored and it would be funny to cripple their company forever just for the lulz. 

image.gif.65e57f9613a5663fb8ad1b666c4a3849.gif

• Like 1

I googled Fox because I was curious about how their stock price had been affected by this trial. The first google result news story from Fox News was about a meteor striking the earth where a scientist said it could be an alien probe. And if it was an alien probe that would be strong evidence that intelligent life exists outside of the solar system.  Really going out on a limb with that analysis.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/runaway-fireball-alien-probe-crashed-off-coast-papua-new-guinea-harvard-scientist

what kind of “news” organization reports on stories like this unless they are selling a tabloid in line at the grocery store.

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

fuck fuck fuck fuck

Trial pushed back a day amid reports that Fox is making a hard push to settle.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

why can’t we have nice things.

they will probably settle this, give a half ass apology at 11:54 on a Tuesday when no one is watching and continue to fuck the country.

I hope they don’t settle and we get to listen to the trial but it won’t happen  

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

How much does Dominion care about sending a message and trying to save our democracy vs. getting paid as soon as possible? Probably a little unfair to unload our hopes and dreams on them.

I think Dominion has strong motivation to have a trial to clear their name. Having Fox personalities like Tucker and Hannity admit on the stand that they lied will be huge for them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think Dominion has strong motivation to have a trial to clear their name. Having Fox personalities like Tucker and Hannity admit on the stand that they lied will be huge for them.

their company is done. No over coming all the harm done by trump and his cult. I’d go for a huge settlement too. Avoids years and years of appeals. Avoids the judgement getting reduced 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

Keep in mind that Dominion also is suing OAN and Newsmax and neither of those have the deep pockets to fight this like Fox. 

If Fox loses then I think it's safe to say the others are in deep trouble. 

So Dominion may end up owning some shitty little news networks?

30 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

their company is done. No over coming all the harm done by trump and his cult. I’d go for a huge settlement too. Avoids years and years of appeals. Avoids the judgement getting reduced 

It would have to be a massive settlement, because yeah, they are completely done.  I don't think Fox News is willing to cough up a billion, and Dominion has no reason to settle for much less - it's a private Canadian (and American) company so financials are hard to come by, but they get contracts that can run for 10 years or more.  Forbes dug up some $120 million over 3 years from 19 states/133 local governments, and there is more floating around (since they have older contracts and they couldn't get info on California). 

They are the second largest vendor in an industry where the top 3 are controlling 88% of the market, so that's pretty bigly and going to be costly for Fox and the others.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2020/12/08/dominion-voting-systems-received-120-million-from-19-states-and-133-local-governments-to-provide-election-services-2017-2019/?sh=4c5c5217620f

Dominion Voting Systems is the second largest vendor in the non-transparent and entrenched election system industry where three vendors control 88-percent of the market.

Recent Dominion contracts with major counties and cities across America set service agreements for years or even decades—helping lock-in the company’s dominant market position and prevent competition.

Dominion Voting Systems was paid $118.3 million to provide election services during the past three years, according to public records. Their revenues came from 19 states and 133 local governments including counties, cities, and even a couple of school districts.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s the thing: the damage is done, and can’t ever be undone.
Imagine you advised a county government. They’re in a county that has a non-negligible percentage of Repub voters. Even though you KNOW that Dominion systems are fine…you would advise them to steer clear of Dominion, because you know that selecting Dominion will mean that your county officials are going to be relentlessly attacked, including possible threats to their physical safety. Because the Fox News audience crowd is locked in to their belief, and nothing can change their minds.
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s the thing: the damage is done, and can’t ever be undone.
Imagine you advised a county government. They’re in a county that has a non-negligible percentage of Repub voters. Even though you KNOW that Dominion systems are fine…you would advise them to steer clear of Dominion, because you know that selecting Dominion will mean that your county officials are going to be relentlessly attacked, including possible threats to their physical safety. Because the Fox News audience crowd is locked in to their belief, and nothing can change their minds.

and that's why they can't settle. 

Fox, OAN, Newsmax, and everyone else involved destroyed them with their lies. 

Dominion must destroy them in order to re-emerge.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

Great editorial in the Sydney Morning Herald from former Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull calling for a Royal Commission to investigate Rupert Murdoch:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/murdoch-succeeded-where-putin-failed-time-for-a-fox-hunt-20230320-p5ctkd.html

It does highlight a significant issue: how can western governments allow free speech when a significant portion of their populations are too stupid (see TexAgs or Tiger Droppings) to discern what is true and what is not?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

Keep in mind that Dominion also is suing OAN and Newsmax and neither of those have the deep pockets to fight this like Fox. 

If Fox loses then I think it's safe to say the others are in deep trouble. 

Counterpoint.  Those OAN and Newsmax morons probably don't have gigabytes of data expressing their incredulousness at some of these allegations.  Those dumbfucks probably believed it.  They may actually be able to mount a more credible defense than  Fox.

Nonetheless, I think it's more likely that Dominion winds up completely destroying them, forcing them into bankruptcy or the like.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2