How Fox News works

retread

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I will forever say this is the most succinct explanation of America as we know it.  It's perfect.

it perfectly encapsulates the GOP strategy for winning rural America and keeping power.  it's shocking that it works, but it does.  for obvious reasons depicted in that political cartoon.  i need to learn the history of it.  gotta be Aussie, right?

the artist hopefully won some awards.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This sums it up

i don't know if the media is pushing to change the way republicans think. 

but 74mm people voted for trump.  this is a fact.  of that 74mm, per polls, anywhere from 55-75% believe that there was a high level of fraud and that the election was stolen from trump.

so let's call that number 50mm people (for the sake of nice, round numbers).  50mm voters have bought in on an unprecedented and outrageous lie with literally zero evidence to back it up.  there are two reasons for this: (1) republicans in power lied to them, and (2) right-wing media lied to them.  nobody woke up one day and said "i bet this election was stolen" out of the blue.  stupid people believed those they thought to be trustworthy and credible.

so as a country, if we want to #bebetter, we need to figure out a way to get politicians to stop lying, the media to stop lying, or stupid people to stop believing these lies.  let's just say i blame the stupid people the least.  

so it's a waiting game, between slimy politicians and right-wing media, to see who will come to terms and tell the truth first.  neither are incentivized in any real way to do so.  either legally or monetarily.  so here we wait.

in unrelated news, tucker's lead story tonight has the headline, "dems think trump voters are a threat to america."

Top 30 Dumb And Dumber Yeah GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Haha 1

Smith, now host of the nightly show "The News with Shepard Smith" at 7 pm ET on CNBC, told Amanpour that his presence on Fox became untenable as opinion shows on the network spread falsehoods that hosts knew were lies.
"Opine all you like, but if you're going to opine, begin with the truth and opine from there," Smith said. "When people begin with a false premise and lead people astray, that's injurious to society and it's the antithesis of what we should be doing: Those of us who are so honored and grateful to have a platform of public influence have to use it for the public good."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/media/shep-smith-fox-amanpour/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

LOL - I had to get my Tucker tears in.  He flat out says they're not showing Biden's inauguration not as disrespect but because there's so much other important news - now he has some crazy bitch on complaining about TOO MUCH LAW AND ORDER right now with the national guard at all the capitol buildings. HAHAHAAHA, omfg you can't make this shit up. 

I LOVE these tears and did a shot but it's back to the feel good, fuck the nutjobs celebration - give me CNBC and Shep!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL - I had to get my Tucker tears in.  He flat out says they're not showing Biden's inauguration not as disrespect but because there's so much other important news - now he has some crazy bitch on complaining about TOO MUCH LAW AND ORDER right now with the national guard at all the capitol buildings. HAHAHAAHA, omfg you can't make this shit up. 

I LOVE these tears and did a shot but it's back to the feel good, fuck the nutjobs celebration - give me CNBC and Shep!

You think that’s bad.  On Laura Ingraham tonight they had some ass hat talking about how this was the first “elitist” inauguration because only famous people were there and not thousands of regular Americans.  Not like the reason for that is the what do you call it....oh yeah pandemic that is going on.  They also went on to make fun of Lady Gaga, Garth, etc... We are back to tan suits and Dijon mustard topics to complain about.  

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You think that’s bad.  On Laura Ingraham tonight they had some ass hat talking about how this was the first “elitist” inauguration because only famous people were there and not thousands of regular Americans.  Not like the reason for that is the what do you call it....oh yeah pandemic that is going on.  They also went on to make fun of Lady Gaga, Garth, etc... We are back to tan suits and Dijon mustard topics to complain about.  

Completely ignoring the repercussions of a fucking insurrection exactly two weeks ago to make fun of Biden's crowd size and makeup is some next level brainwashing. These dudes (and wenches) are fucking pros.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Fairness.  Doctrine.  Now. 

I agree, but it would be immediately met by accusations from the right of censorship and restriction of free speech. It’s bullshit but I’m not sure it’s possible to put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I agree, but it would be immediately met by accusations from the right of censorship and restriction of free speech. It’s bullshit but I’m not sure it’s possible to put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. 

Long Post.  One paragraph. Sorry.  Yeah, I don’t know how to fix it but something needs to be done or this country won’t improve.  I switched over to Fox News this morning for about 2 minutes when the other news channels I watch were on commercials.  In 2 minutes they discussed some things they would be talking about this morning.  Number one was the 1000 person caravan of brown people coming to the US because Biden is now president and will let them in.  Number two was about Josh Hawley and how the media and corporations are silencing the conservatives of this country.  Number three topic was how Biden would destroy the economy and we will los jobs because of his views on climate change and the Green New Deal.  There are bad people on the Trumper/Republican side of the aisle like the nazis and white supremacists and slightly racist people (those slightly racist people are on the Dem side of the aisle also unfortunately) but what Fox News does is take the gullible not to bright people which makes up a lot of this country and feeds them the stories I mentioned above.   If you are one of those latter people you are sitting there this morning thinking you are watching real “news” and you are being told that murderers and rapists are being let into the country to come after you and your family because of Joe Biden and the liberals.  You are being told you can’t speak your mind because they are silencing you and that your job and the whole economy will be destroyed by Joe Biden and the Democrats.  These people get fed this all day long, week after week, month after month and year after year.  It’s understandable why they believe Biden is the problem. My question is do the Fox hosts know what they are doing to the country but don’t care because they are getting paid or do they actually believe this stuff?  Are they just a higher paid, less insane version of Alex Jones and know its all BS but they get a nice paycheck each week so who cares?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yeah it's obvious when he was talking about white supremacists he clearly was including trump voters who aren't white supremacists. 

God damn, it's staggering the pains these loons will take to conjure up anything to feed their grievance addiction. Snowflakes, all of em. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My question is do the Fox hosts know what they are doing to the country but don’t care because they are getting paid or do they actually believe this stuff?  Are they just a higher paid, less insane version of Alex Jones and know its all BS but they get a nice paycheck each week so who cares?

Yes. Yes.

They may believe some of it to the extent that some right leaning adherents stick closely to the idea that the poor are poor because they're lazy and thus undeserving, but if put on the spot and off the record, some might be more honest about the entertainment aspects of their role.

55 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Long Post.  One paragraph. Sorry.  Yeah, I don’t know how to fix it but something needs to be done or this country won’t improve.  I switched over to Fox News this morning for about 2 minutes when the other news channels I watch were on commercials.  In 2 minutes they discussed some things they would be talking about this morning.  Number one was the 1000 person caravan of brown people coming to the US because Biden is now president and will let them in.  Number two was about Josh Hawley and how the media and corporations are silencing the conservatives of this country.  Number three topic was how Biden would destroy the economy and we will los jobs because of his views on climate change and the Green New Deal.  There are bad people on the Trumper/Republican side of the aisle like the nazis and white supremacists and slightly racist people (those slightly racist people are on the Dem side of the aisle also unfortunately) but what Fox News does is take the gullible not to bright people which makes up a lot of this country and feeds them the stories I mentioned above.   If you are one of those latter people you are sitting there this morning thinking you are watching real “news” and you are being told that murderers and rapists are being let into the country to come after you and your family because of Joe Biden and the liberals.  You are being told you can’t speak your mind because they are silencing you and that your job and the whole economy will be destroyed by Joe Biden and the Democrats.  These people get fed this all day long, week after week, month after month and year after year.  It’s understandable why they believe Biden is the problem. My question is do the Fox hosts know what they are doing to the country but don’t care because they are getting paid or do they actually believe this stuff?  Are they just a higher paid, less insane version of Alex Jones and know its all BS but they get a nice paycheck each week so who cares?

You son of a bitch.  You finally built the wall.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I, for one, am ready to get back to the era when any regular 'ole reality star billionaire and his fashion model wife could make it into 1600 Pennsylvania.  I've had it with these elites. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Am I the only one that refuses to watch the fox news videos that are posted here?  I know what they are saying.  I don't need to hear it in real life.

No, I'm right there with you. I got enough of it in my childhood that I don't need the audio to know exactly the tone being taken.

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I, for one, am ready to get back to the era when any regular 'ole reality star billionaire and his fashion model wife could make it into 1600 Pennsylvania.  I've had it with these elites. 

The extreme cognitive dissonance in these rubes' brain mush isn't going to help bring them into reality. 

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

What she's probably leaving out is that her redneck family partook in the riot.

Seriously though, Cohen fucked up saying what he did on TV, apparently before even asking her about it. 

My understanding was that there were no tours allowed for anyone due to COVID. No person without business in the Capitol was to enter the Capitol. That's why the presence of a couple of groups of people being shown the building prior to the riot drew attention.

I can't conclude that she helped, but I see evidence to suspect her.

When the story of tours broke, why didn't she come forward and say she had shown her family around and there was nothing to worry about? 

Cohen, again if I recall correctly, had to be reminded that he'd seen her. He didn't race forward to condemn her; he had mentioned it to an acquaintance who reminded him of it later. Only when named, did Boebert come forward. Interesting.

It's also interesting that, as far as I know, she hasn't posted a picture of her family with her in the Capitol. Wouldn't most people have such a picture? Nobody in her group took a photo? If such a photo exists of Lauren and family yukking it up on the happy day, no adviser has suggested publishing it to embarrass Cohen and the Dems?

I smell a rat.

This wants an investigation.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My understanding was that there were no tours allowed for anyone due to COVID. No person without business in the Capitol was to enter the Capitol. That's why the presence of a couple of groups of people being shown the building prior to the riot drew attention.

When the story of tours broke, why didn't she come forward and say she had shown her family around and there was nothing to worry about? 

Cohen, again if I recall correctly, had to be reminded that he'd seen her. He didn't race forward to condemn her; he had mentioned it to an acquaintance who reminded him of it later. Only when named, did Boebert come forward. Interesting.

It's also interesting that, as far as I know, she hasn't posted a picture of her family with her in the Capitol. Wouldn't most people have such a picture? Nobody in her group took a photo? If such a photo exists of Lauren and family yukking it up on the happy day, no adviser has suggested publishing it to embarrass Cohen and the Dems?

I smell a rat.

I'd imagine every square inch of the capitol is covered with high res cameras, so I think we'll see pics and get the facts sooner or later. 

I seem to recall that tours were reduced but not prohibited. Even if they were no longer open to the public, I'd have to think congresscritters would be free to bring family in, especially around swearing-in time. 

If I was her and if I hadn't done anything wrong, I doubt I'd feel the need to come out and defend myself after someone said they saw a suspicious tour going on. I'd probably think they were talking about someone else, tbh, and that if it was me I'd explain when questioned. Of course, my family wouldn't have looked like a bunch of rednecks decked out in trump army regalia, and her family probably did. 

Nobody should read this as a defense of Rep. Guntits, I think she's ignorant trash. Her tweeting about the speaker during the invasion is extremely suspicious. I just feel that it's reckless to make that serious of an accusation in the media against a colleague without attempting to discuss it with them first (if it's true he didn't). 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I smell a rat.

This, plus she may be telling the truth.  The obvious next question is, "Did your family attend the event on 1/6?"  My guess is the family didn't fly in just for her, it was a whole big MAGA week.  

Pandemic and right wing insugency

Jesus, they're trying to paint what happened in Portland in the same light as what happened at the Capitol.  Their website actually says, "LEFT-WING INSURRECTION: Unrest explodes across West as Biden sworn-in [sic].

Yeah, a few dozen people broke some windows.  That's totally the same thing as several thousand people storming the Capitol to try to prevent a presidential election from being certified and murdering a cop.

It's like comparing a shoplifter to Hans Gruber and going, "See, y'all steal, too."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'd imagine every square inch of the capitol is covered with high res cameras, so I think we'll see pics and get the facts sooner or later. 

I seem to recall that tours were reduced but not prohibited. Even if they were no longer open to the public, I'd have to think congresscritters would be free to bring family in, especially around swearing-in time. 

If I was her and if I hadn't done anything wrong, I doubt I'd feel the need to come out and defend myself after someone said they saw a suspicious tour going on. I'd probably think they were talking about someone else, tbh, and that if it was me I'd explain when questioned. Of course, my family wouldn't have looked like a bunch of rednecks decked out in trump army regalia, and her family probably did. 

Nobody should read this as a defense of Rep. Guntits, I think she's ignorant trash. Her tweeting about the speaker during the invasion is extremely suspicious. I just feel that it's reckless to make that serious of an accusation in the media against a colleague without attempting to discuss it with them first (if it's true he didn't). 

haha, Rep. Guntits

5 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

According to the book Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth, most of them, including Hannity, think Trump is a nutcase and know exactly what they're paid millions to do. I recommend the book btw. I'm only a quarter of the way into it though. 

Fox News complains that President Biden’s criticism of white supremacy will offend Trump supporters

Not all Trump supporters are white supremacists, but all white supremacists support Trump. That's problematic Fox, no?

Not a good sign when you think "white supremacist" is basically a dog whistle identifying members of your party. 

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Am I the only one that refuses to watch the fox news videos that are posted here?  I know what they are saying.  I don't need to hear it in real life.

I like seeing my enemies squirm and cry when they’re under assault.  You’re a better person than me.  Congrats.  

30 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

According to the book Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth, most of them, including Hannity, think Trump is a nutcase and know exactly what they're paid millions to do. I recommend the book btw. I'm only a quarter of the way into it though. 

If you don’t wanna read the book here’s an article that nails it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/08/sean-hannity-fox-news-staffers-feel-trapped-in-trump-cult/amp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1