How Fox News works

retread

8 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

This critical race theory bogeyman and they way the R's are coordinating in using it everywhere is some really dark shit. 

The most explicit they've been yet about being a movement of white supremacy authoritarianism. Very bad things will come from this.

It’s the willie Horton bag of tricks. Nothing new under the sun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A difference here is they are mobilizing a movement around being explicitly racist. It’s David Duke’s vision of the klan being put into practice. No more hoods needed.

It's hitting its mark, too. I don't think they're going to stop anytime soon.

16 hours ago, Satchel said:

She’s awful:

Well, her reasons are terrible and she's a vile woman but I'm not going to argue with a broken clock.  Does this mean we can all agree now to finally cut the bloated military budget?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Jesus Christ

“Control over our nation’s weapons”.

This clown who shows his ass on Fox every weeknight doesn’t even know that the chairman of the JSC and the entire JSC do not have operational control over combat forces and in fact it’s written into law. 

Not that he or his audience have ever let wrongness get in the way of opinions before. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Former insider/executive discussing how poisonous Fox News is.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-murdoch-exec-fox-news-052129970.html?guccounter=1

From the article:

But, in recent years things have gone badly off the tracks at Fox News. Fox News is no longer a truthful center-right news network. The channel (especially the leading prime-time opinion programming) has contributed substantially and directly to:

I first discovered Foxnews during the runup to the 2000 election. Probably sometime during that summer 2000. So I can't really speak to what Foxnews was for the first 4 years of its existence ('96-'00), but ever since I've been aware of it the idea that it was in any way a truthful, center-right news network is absolutely laughable. They've never ever attempted to be good faith actors in my view. The only difference is the toxicity of the fires they start now has increased compared to what they were doing 20 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So, Fox is going to take a Sharpie to the weather now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/business/media/fox-weather-channel-plus.html

Weather is taking the media industry by storm.

Later this year, Rupert Murdoch is set to debut Fox Weather, a 24-hour streaming channel that promises to do for 7-day forecasts what Fox has done for American politics, financial news and sports. Not to be outdone, the Weather Channel — granddaddy of television meteorology — announced the creation of a new streaming service, Weather Channel Plus, that the company believes could reach 30 million subscribers by 2026.

Amid a waning appetite for political news in the post-Trump era, media executives are realizing that demand for weather updates is ubiquitous — and for an increasing swath of the country, a matter of urgent concern. In the past week alone, temperatures in the Pacific Northwest broke records, wildfires burned in Colorado, and Tropical Storm Elsa strengthened into a hurricane over the Atlantic Ocean.

At CNN, MSNBC and Fox News, average viewership for the first half of 2021 fell 38 percent from a year prior. The audience for the Weather Channel was up 7 percent.

Spoiler

“All the networks are ramping up for this,” said Jay Sures, a co-president of United Talent Agency who oversees its TV division. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that climate change and the environment will be the story of the next decade.” One of his firm’s clients, Ginger Zee, the chief meteorologist at ABC News, now has 2.2 million Twitter followers — more than any ABC News personality besides George Stephanopoulos.

Fox Weather’s impending debut opens a new front in the media wars, but Byron Allen, the comedian-turned-media-baron whose Allen Media Group bought the Weather Channel for $300 million in 2018, insists that he welcomes the competition. “Rupert Murdoch is very smart; he is the best of the best,” Mr. Allen said in an interview. “I am not surprised he’s coming into the weather space. Honestly, I would have been disappointed if he didn’t.”

Mr. Allen said that he and Mr. Murdoch recently met for an hour in the latter mogul’s office on the Fox lot in Los Angeles. “We had a great time together,” he recalled. “Now the world will understand how big of a business the weather business is and how important it is.” (A spokeswoman for Mr. Murdoch did not comment on the meeting.)

The weather media ecosystem — everything from iPhone apps to localized subscription sites and umbrella-toting personalities on the local 10 o’clock news — is a lucrative, if often overlooked, corner of the industry, where the battle for attention is increasingly fierce. Advertisers weary of the choppy politics and brand boycotts of the Trump years see weather as a relatively uncontroversial port in the squall.

“Everyone in media is trying to figure out habitual behavior; everyone wants you addicted,” said Rich Greenfield, a partner at LightShed Ventures and a veteran media analyst. “The reason why weather is so interesting to so many people is it’s something you actually open up every day — daily, hourly, if not minute by minute.”

Much of the recent flurry of activity is motivated by the weather world’s big new interloper: Fox, whose unlikely entry into 24/7 weather broadcasting is part of a digital push by the Murdoch family.

Editors’ Picks

Democracy Is for Losers (and Why That’s a Good Thing)

No Soil. No Growing Seasons. Just Add Water and Technology.

The Liberty’s Role in Making W.N.B.A. Players ‘Top Dogs’ of Activism

Continue reading the main story

Sean Hannity will not be giving a forecast (yet). But Fox Weather, which will be funded by advertisers, is aggressively poaching star meteorologists from Houston, Seattle, St. Louis and other markets. It is also taking a run at major talent at the Weather Channel, with several Hollywood agents recounting frenzied bidding wars. A top Weather Channel meteorologist — Shane Brown, whose title was “senior weather product architect” — defected to Fox last month despite efforts to keep him.

Inside Mr. Murdoch’s company, the view is that the sometimes-staid world of weather TV is ripe for disruption. Fox is hiring a throng of meteorologists and weather data analysts for the venture, which includes a flashy multimillion-dollar studio at its Midtown Manhattan headquarters. The service will cover major national weather events and integrate dozens of local forecasters from Fox’s regional affiliate stations.

The Weather Channel is already throwing some shade.

“They couldn’t even get a headline right about Tropical Storm Bill,” said Nora Zimmett, the network’s chief content officer, referring to a FoxNews.com article that some meteorologists criticized because it claimed that a relatively benign storm posed a “massive” risk to the Eastern Seaboard.

“I applaud Fox getting into the weather space, but they should certainly leave the lifesaving information to the experts,” said Ms. Zimmett, who worked at Fox News in the 2000s. She called climate change “a topic that is too important to politicize, and if they do that, they will be doing Americans a disservice.”

A Fox Weather spokeswoman shot back: “While the Weather Channel is focused on trolling FoxNews.com for unrelated stories, Fox Weather is busy preparing the debut of our innovative platform to deliver critical coverage to an incredibly underserved market.”

Climate change is a broad-based concern. A Pew Research survey in April found that 59 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents believed that human activity contributes to climate change. (The figure is 91 percent for Democrats and those with Democratic-leaning views.)

Still, some of Fox News’s conservative commentators, including Laura Ingraham and Tucker Carlson, have a track record of downplaying, if not denying, the threat of climate change. The subject has even generated division within the Murdoch family: James Murdoch, Rupert Murdoch’s younger son, rebuked his father last year after Murdoch-owned media outlets in Australia dismissed climate change as a culprit for deadly wildfires that ravaged the country.

Brian Wieser, the lead analyst at GroupM, the media investing arm of the ad giant WPP, laughed at the notion that weather could be considered apolitical. “You would think — except I’m sitting here in Portland, Ore., in 115 degrees,” he said. “I don’t know that it’s an uncontroversial topic.”

Referring to Fox Weather, he added: “How do you address the fact that weather changes are caused to some degree by humans when you have a media property with a history of challenging that fact?”

Fox Weather will be overseen by Suzanne Scott, the chief executive of Fox News Media, and Sharri Berg, a longtime Fox executive who helped launch Fox News at its inception in 1996. Fox declined to make either executive available for interviews. But its spokeswoman said the service will have “a dedicated team of leading meteorologists and experts” that will offer “in-depth reporting surrounding all weather conditions, and we are excited to showcase to viewers what a full-service comprehensive weather platform can deliver beginning this fall.”

The Weather Channel, which started broadcasting in 1982, has some reason to be nervous. Cord-cutting has eroded the audience for cable TV as viewers migrate to digital platforms. Last month, the Weather Channel revamped its morning programming to focus more on storytelling and forecasters’ personalities. A new slate of shows about climate change is planned, including a documentary series, “Frozen Gold,” focused on amateur miners in Greenland, where melting ice has exposed mineral deposits.

Mr. Allen, the chairman of the company that owns the Weather Channel, said in the interview that he was unbothered by Fox’s poaching of his talent. “Business is a contact sport,” he said. “So they took a couple of our producers. That’s OK. What I’ve always found is that whenever we hire new people, we usually get better.”

Rivalries, he added, can be mutually beneficial.

“There’s no Ali without George Foreman,” Mr. Allen said. “I just love the fact that one of the best to ever live in the business of media wants to be a partner in this space with me.”

• Hook 'Em 1

So now, evacuating for a hurricane will be a partisan, political act.  Can't wait to see hundreds and hundreds of trumpkins killed in hurricanes.  I say this is a good thing. 

Of course, the other side of that, is you could have roaming bands of trumpkins blocking and/or harassing folks trying to GTFO of town.  

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
thinking about trumpkin cruelty/stupidity

9 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So now, evacuating for a hurricane will be a partisan, political act.  Can't wait to see hundreds and hundreds of trumpkins killed in hurricanes.  I say this is a good thing. 

Of course, the other side of that, is you could have roaming bands of trumpkins blocking and/or harassing folks trying to GTFO of town.  

Well at least give them some rakes so they can mitigate future wild fire threats while they are at it. 

This is a good thing, imo.  Fox's presentation style will be alarmist about everything, which will start changing opinions about whether weather stuff is actually changing.

And also, every eyeball that moves from Fox News to Fox Weather is one set of eyeballs that spends time thinking about godless hurricanes that aren't upholding traditional tropical storm values, which isn't nearly as bad for our country than the alternative.

4 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

This is a good thing, imo.  Fox's presentation style will be alarmist about everything, which will start changing opinions about whether weather stuff is actually changing.

And also, every eyeball that moves from Fox News to Fox Weather is one set of eyeballs that spends time thinking about godless hurricanes that aren't upholding traditional tropical storm values, which isn't nearly as bad for our country than the alternative.

There will be hours and hours of "climate" shows that will preach about how any "green" initiatives are bad for the economy and won't effect the coming climate change.  Guaran-fucking-teed.  It will make the divide worse, not better.  That's what Fox does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

30 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

lol, no it won't. I did mushrooms yesterday and I wasn't tripping as hard as you must be right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I first discovered Foxnews during the runup to the 2000 election. Probably sometime during that summer 2000. So I can't really speak to what Foxnews was for the first 4 years of its existence ('96-'00), but ever since I've been aware of it the idea that it was in any way a truthful, center-right news network is absolutely laughable. They've never ever attempted to be good faith actors in my view. The only difference is the toxicity of the fires they start now has increased compared to what they were doing 20 years ago. 

It was....entertaining in the 90s and into the early 2000s.  Bill O'Reilly would occasionally get interesting guests and ask them decent questions.

It's much more toxic and repetitive now than it was 20 years ago.

On the one hand, they can be extremely coordinated when they find a new story to be outraged about, and there wasn't as much of that 20 years ago.  On the other hand, these days they feel like a bunch of blind monkeys slinging shit around to see what sticks.  20 years ago it seemed like they were run by actual adults.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Former insider/executive discussing how poisonous Fox News is.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-murdoch-exec-fox-news-052129970.html?guccounter=1

it's getting worse.  Tucker Carlson is basically adopting all of Alex Jones's fringe talking points.  and now that they're on Fox News, they're not as fringe as they used to be.

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

There will be hours and hours of "climate" shows that will preach about how any "green" initiatives are bad for the economy and won't effect the coming climate change.  Guaran-fucking-teed.  It will make the divide worse, not better.  That's what Fox does.

56 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s good if they’re truly trying to diversify because they think political media has a lower upside now.  But I agree their play could just be to inject their own political slant into weather coverage.

Let them try and slant it however the fuck they want.  They can't change the fact that it will be hot as shit outside, or a blizzard, or a drought or whatever.  If they try and fuck around too much, people will bail and/or start questioning their talking points.

25 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

it's getting worse.  Tucker Carlson is basically adopting all of Alex Jones's fringe talking points.  and now that they're on Fox News, they're not as fringe as they used to be.

Alex is not happy and says that Tucker is not the new Alex.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/tuesday-live-americans-push-back-against-globalist-agenda/

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Let them try and slant it however the fuck they want.  They can't change the fact that it will be hot as shit outside, or a blizzard, or a drought or whatever.  If they try and fuck around too much, people will bail and/or start questioning their talking points.

oh come on, man. have you EVER watched FN? they'll tell people that Dems are causing climate change and here are 15 examples. they'll figure out a way to pin random blizzards or heat waves on Dems, watch it. It'll happen. Probably in the 1st week.

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh come on, man. have you EVER watched FN? they'll tell people that Dems are causing climate change and here are 15 examples. they'll figure out a way to pin random blizzards or heat waves on Dems, watch it. It'll happen. Probably in the 1st week.

Oh they'll try to pin it on, but I'm just saying they can't deny it.

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Out of ten glaciers, nine are disappearing but one might be growing because of increased precipitation caused by a warming ocean. That’s the one they’ll report on. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, not sure you want to paint a genocide as a battle victory. Sounds kinda Third Reich-y. 

Does this mean that if I challenge Tucker Swanson to battle, that when I win, I can claim his land and his woman, even if he never wanted the battle and tried to avoid it?

51 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

image.gif

Black people, if you aren't in on the grift to let FOX and/or the GOP pay you a lot of money to be "the black person who doesn't think that white people are racist now, and, in fact, may not have even been during slavery," then what are you doing with your lives?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

image.gif

That guy legit looks and sounds like he may be developmentally delayed but fox puts him on the national 'news'.  Because... of course!

All of you out there with half demented parents who watch this shit all day - change the channel every time.  Maybe they'll change it back but at least make an effort.  This shit is beyond the pale. 

• Hook 'Em 2