2019 MLB thread

spystud13

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Kind of crazy that Randy Johnson has only 2 no-hitters and Clemens and Martinez (technically) have zero.

Not trying to be John Smoltz, but I think those numbers would go way up if they pitched today.

And I still wonder how many JR Richard might have had. Maybe none...but maybe way more. 

More on that Mets game... 

Washington is the first team to allow five or more runs in the top of the ninth and get even more in the bottom of the inning for a walk-off win since the Red Sox on June 18, 1962, against the Washington Senators, according to Stats LLC.

New York's five-run ninth was aided when Turner forgot how many outs there were and passed on a possible double-play grounder with one out, instead throwing to first.

Rosenthal:

The Ken Giles trade that wasn’t

On the day of the trade deadline, the Yankees and Blue Jays made significant progress on a deal that would have sent reliever Ken Giles to New York, according to major-league sources. The Jays were set to receive three prospects, and informed the other clubs pursuing Giles they were going to be moving him elsewhere.

The trade, of course, never happened, and the Yankees backed off too late for the Jays to complete a deal with another club. The most logical explanation is that the Yankees had concerns about Giles’ elbow, though teams had prior access to his medical records and several factored the risk into their offers, sources said.

Giles had visited Dr. Keith Meister in Dallas on July 30, the day before the deadline. An MRI revealed no structural damage in his elbow, but upon Meister’s recommendation, the pitcher received a cortisone shot, and wound up being sidelined from July 28 to Aug. 3.

Since returning, Giles has struck out 15 and walked four in nine innings. The only runs he has allowed were a two-run homer by the Rays’ Mike Zunino in his second appearance back on Aug. 7, and a two-run homer by the Astros’ Abraham Toro on Sunday, which marked the first time he has pitched in back-to-back games since July 3-4.

Giles, 28, is earning $6.3 million this season, and will remain under team control through arbitration for one more year. Thus, the Jays should have two more chances to trade him – this offseason and at next year’s deadline.

I would have loved to see this retard as a Yankee.

Edited by Beau Vine

It boggles my mind how Joe West and Angel Hernandez haven’t, at the very least, been forced in to retirement.

I’m convinced Joe just needs to see his name in print a certain number of times a year* and after the “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” fiasco he needed people to see his name for a different reason, however ridiculous this one is too.

* he apparently hadn’t hit his annual quota by late September last year either. Remember this absurdity?:

• Like 3

This is a strange dispute. 

This may be my helo moment but why are all these vids that have amazing field mics the yankees all the time. I want this for all 30 stadiums/teams. It would be amazing. I always like hearing these, but hell i could spend an hour every night watching them if all 30 had them

19 minutes ago, Scraps said:
2 hours ago, spystud13 said:
This is a strange dispute. 

This may be my helo moment but why are all these vids that have amazing field mics the yankees all the time. I want this for all 30 stadiums/teams. It would be amazing. I always like hearing these, but hell i could spend an hour every night watching them if all 30 had them

slight sidetrack, but i'd love to have this for the Premier League. Can you imagine watching a Welsh referee being surrounded and berated by pro athletes from six different countries all cussing him out in broken English? digression aside i totally agree, the more mics the better. i'd love to find out what Joe Maddon is thinking when he uses his bullpen. 

Edited by Goo Punch

It’s probably there... he just focuses mostly on the Yankees: Another reason to subscribe to mlb.tv. He’s just using the ballpark audio feed that is one of the sound options with that subscription

When O'Brien -- who has turned his passion for sports into a full-time gig -- sits down each night as first pitches are thrown around the country, he does so in front of an elaborate multiscreen setup. He has two computers and one television, all tuned in to baseball -- typically that night's Yankees game. On the television: the live feed of the game. On the computers: the local streaming feeds -- YES Network for the Yankees and the regional broadcast partner for their opponent. When he happens to spot a quirky moment he thinks could be enhanced by the ambient-sound feed, he switches over to that. All of these streaming feeds are easily accessible to anyone with an MLB.TV package.

Long:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27392799/how-fan-viral-video-turned-aaron-boone-yankees-savages
  • Like 1

Hell thats the only feed i would listen to then.

You should start being ol jimmy for Astros games. Thx in advance lol

Ha

I’ve definitely had the ballpark feed on when my ears need a break from Kalas/Blum but I’ll be honest, other than hearing the umpire’s strike calls and louder than usual bats rattling in the dugout, never really realized how sensitive some of the mics were

Will definitely toggle over the next time something unusual happens.

Hell I may go back right now to see if I can hear the same thing he picked up when JV was tossed last week

I'm seeing the replay of the game this morning and Paul O'Neill is telling stories in the 4th inning about Joe West due to what he did last night.

"Two and a half years ago I am sitting in a restaurant by the Garden and Joe West comes in. He sits down at our table, uninvited, and talks for two and a half hours. I didn't know what to do and I haven't spoke to him since."

"I was playing in a golf tournament in Florida with former Cub Rick Wilkins and Joe is playing in it too. He shows up wearing cowboy boots with golf spikes attached to them. If that doesn't scream look at me I don't know what does."

• Like 1