Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

On 3/28/2020 at 11:27 PM, DougO said:

I caught the last hour or so last night. It was better than I would expect, not being a fan of Tarantino movies of the last 20 years or so.

Then I caught it again from the beginning and I was pretty bored, sorta faded out for most of it. Seems like it could have been a good 90 minute flick.

Are you a psychopath? Who watches movies this way? 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm going to take a guess and say you're under 40. The whole soul of the film is picking through the nostalgia. The billboards, the radio commercials, the tv shows. It's a gotdam masterpiece.

53.  I enjoyed seeing all of that stuff.  Mannix, etc.  Just didn't think the movie was any good.  And the alternate ending?  Pretty random.

On 7/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, Lat22 said:

53.  I enjoyed seeing all of that stuff.  Mannix, etc.  Just didn't think the movie was any good.  And the alternate ending?  Pretty random.

Did you not see Inglorious Basterds?   Did you like it?

If so, do you think the end of the German NAZI regime came about in a Paris movie theatre?

I am, admittedly, a huge Tarantino fanboi but I’m in the process of reading his novelization and it’s pretty damn great. Additional “scenes” that weren’t in the movie, scenes done differently than the movie, answers to certain questions left ambiguous in the movie, expanded histories/careers of certain characters, etc. The podcast link that another poster provided above (on tapa or I’d specially give you kudos) is pretty great if you’re that big of a nerd like me. As you’d expect, Tarantino doesn’t just “write the book of the novel” but also jam packs it with extras such as setting the “printing date” of the novel after the events of the movie and other things I don’t want to spoil which gives you a ton of extras you wouldn’t be expecting.

Spoilers: I hope he does other “novelizations” like he mentions in that podcast.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/10/2021 at 9:25 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Are you a psychopath? Who watches movies this way? 

Hello.

I tested the waters in the middle because it was so long.  So I started about when Pitt picks up the tramp.  It was good enough that next time it was on I tuned in for the first half.  

Tarentino's quirky screenplays are fun but not 3 hrs w/o commercials fun. 

15 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Hello.

I tested the waters in the middle because it was so long.  So I started about when Pitt picks up the tramp.  It was good enough that next time it was on I tuned in for the first half.  

Tarentino's quirky screenplays are fun but not 3 hrs w/o commercials fun. 

insane

• Like 1

This will probably become my favorite QT film (time has not been particularly kind to Pulp Fiction; the shock factor of the era is fading). Which means that there 25% of the movie is great, 50% is pretty good, and 25% is ego bloat and easy to ignore. 

Great cinematography and probably the best use of soundtrack to date. I know some see him as a "genius", but to me he's the greatest B movie director who came along at just the right time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This will probably become my favorite QT film (time has not been particularly kind to Pulp Fiction; the shock factor of the era is fading). Which means that there 25% of the movie is great, 50% is pretty good, and 25% is ego bloat and easy to ignore. 
Great cinematography and probably the best use of soundtrack to date. I know some see him as a "genius", but to me he's the greatest B movie director who came along at just the right time. 

Pulp Fiction’s still best enjoyed unedited for network television and in a theater. But beyond blowing away conventional movies at the time with the nonlinear storystelling and a blockbuster cast, it had shocking scenes. Watching it early on with a packed audience was a thrilling experience.

Yeah, PF was an earthquake in '94, and did paved the way for smaller, indie movies & studio execs being willing to take a risk on young, edgier directors. Like all QT movies, however, upon multiple watchings it's clear that as much as he loves crafting dialogue and scenes, his inability to keep the narrative moving along typically results in him depending upon tricks, gags, stabs at creating hidden subtext, and winks to the audience in an attempt to cover up the fact he really didn't know what the fuck he was trying to say. Jackie Brown is the tightest movie he's made to date.

I'm glad he's making movies.  

I still enjoy Pulp Fiction the best. Maybe it's the time frame from when it was released was right in the time I was most into cinema. I still enjoy the Jules and Vincent scenes, the Mia Wallace portion, and one of my favorite moments of acting, the Lost Shepherd speech to Honey Bunny. I'm not as big a fan of the Bruce Willis part but I give it the same excuse I give the Justine scenes in Heat. They don't take away from my enjoyment of the larger work. I always enjoy the world QT sets his movies in.  

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, PF was an earthquake in '94, and did paved the way for smaller, indie movies & studio execs being willing to take a risk on young, edgier directors. Like all QT movies, however, upon multiple watchings it's clear that as much as he loves crafting dialogue and scenes, his inability to keep the narrative moving along typically results in him depending upon tricks, gags, stabs at creating hidden subtext, and winks to the audience in an attempt to cover up the fact he really didn't know what the fuck he was trying to say. Jackie Brown is the tightest movie he's made to date.
I'm glad he's making movies.  

I DON’T REMEMBER ASKING YOU A GOD DAMN THING!
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, mdmost said:

I still enjoy Pulp Fiction the best. Maybe it's the time frame from when it was released was right in the time I was most into cinema. I still enjoy the Jules and Vincent scenes, the Mia Wallace portion, and one of my favorite moments of acting, the Lost Shepherd speech to Honey Bunny. I'm not as big a fan of the Bruce Willis part but I give it the same excuse I give the Justine scenes in Heat. They don't take away from my enjoyment of the larger work. I always enjoy the world QT sets his movies in.  

The watch scene is so fucking perfect. Fucking Christopher Walken nailed every aspect of that little speech. The story and slow build up about the watch. How seriously he takes it. How he remembers every detail about the watches whereabouts, little man. Then immediately turns to top notch comedy. Just a perfect scene in a damn near perfect movie. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:57 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Pretty random? The whole movie you experience a sense of dread, especially watching the fetching Margot Robbie portray the vibrant Sharon Tate. You see this magnificent human go to the movie theater thrilled to see herself in the movie. You think, “Good god, she’s about to get filleted by some damn hippies!” And she’s pregnant. Fuck!

You’re wondering how Rick and Cliff are mixed up in this. Then the alternate ending. It’s amazing. The ultimate redemption. And if you have no clue about Manson or Sharon Tate, maybe you don’t have those thoughts and you miss out.

I can understand the criticism of many of Tarantino’s films as self-indulgent or overly long. The best movies are usually streamlined. Economic. No wasted scenes. Still, there was a lot of meat in this one.

Saw it opening night with no spoilers, totally expecting Quentin to lean into the murders. I laughed all through Cliff vs the Hippies, it was a surprise and a release. I saw it 3 times in the theater, including  the 35mm at Alamo. 

I don't know if it's just a age thing. I took my 17 year old daughter and she loved it and is reading the book now. 

If  a loud car drive by I'll say " bunch of god damn fucking hippies" as I drink directly from my blender. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

Saw it opening night with no spoilers, totally expecting Quentin to lean into the murders. I laughed all through Cliff vs the Hippies, it was a surprise and a release. I saw it 3 times in the theater, including  the 35mm at Alamo. 

I don't know if it's just a age thing. I took my 17 year old daughter and she loved it and is reading the book now. 

If  a loud car drive by I'll say " bunch of god damn fucking hippies" as I drink directly from my blender. 

The ending is comedy cold. “paying property taxes out the butt”

“Now take this mechanical asshole and get it off my mother fuckin street!!” Then takes a slug of margarita out of the blender

Brad Pitt smashing what’s her name face on that table. DiCaprio listening to that stupid song in the pool then “WHAT THE FUCK!?!?” And grabs the fucking flame thrower. Just beautiful 

• Like 1

And then right after that Margot Robbie in the Don Meredith Jersey was cool.

Scene made me sad though. The way the gates and elevation kind of made it heavenly, and you’re like oh yeah all those people actually got cut up by those fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 1