Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

I am not a Tarantino super fan.  I loved Pulp Fiction when it came out and I think it aged fine.  Not crazy about any of his other movies though, in fact I think almost all of them are overrated, until this one which I think is hands down his best work.  I love everything about it.  I have watched it like 6 times.  Definitely a top 5 of all time for me.  I got the book recently, have not read it.

i've liked/loved pretty much all of his movies to varying degrees. Jackie Brown is indeed great, as is RD and Django. True Romance is also one of my favorite movies with spectacular Tarantino-esque dialogue. 

but Inglourious Basterds was the first one that i felt finally lived up to/surpassed the expectation level set by PF. Once Upon a Time surpasses both. 

also, IB and Django hold special places in my heart for the fabulousness that is Christoph Waltz. i'll always appreciate Tarantino for that fact alone.

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

I didn't see Pulp Fiction until 20+ years after its release.  I was probably a little young for it when it came out, and then I just never got around to seeing it for some reason until I was well into adulthood. I saw Inglourious Basterds, Kill BIll, and Django Unchained before I ever watched Pulp Fiction.  Maybe because of the order I saw them in and the fact that it wasn't new or groundbreaking by the time I saw it, but Pulp Fiction just never did much for me.  It feels like one of his weakest. If not for the non-linear storyline, the plot isn't exactly that interesting, IMO.  On the other hand, I saw Jackie Brown around the same time, also long after its release, and I loved it.  Absolutely one of my favorites of Tarantino's.  

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is probably my favorite Tarantino film at this point.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, futureman said:

The Hateful Eight is head and shoulders above anything he’s ever been involved with, directly or indirectly, and it’s not even close. 

It's even not in my Top 5 QT films. For whatever reason, it just fell flat for me. Go figure.

I didn't see Pulp Fiction until 20+ years after its release.  I was probably a little young for it when it came out, and then I just never got around to seeing it for some reason until I was well into adulthood. I saw Inglourious Basterds, Kill BIll, and Django Unchained before I ever watched Pulp Fiction.  Maybe because of the order I saw them in and the fact that it wasn't new or groundbreaking by the time I saw it, but Pulp Fiction just never did much for me.  It feels like one of his weakest. If not for the non-linear storyline, the plot isn't exactly that interesting, IMO.  On the other hand, I saw Jackie Brown around the same time, also long after its release, and I loved it.  Absolutely one of my favorites of Tarantino's.  
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is probably my favorite Tarantino film at this point.

It may be hard in hindsight to view how groundbreaking PF was if you weren’t into film when it came out. It changed everything and ushered in what is arguably the best decade of indie cinema in history. It was imitated hundreds of times in the next few years.

It was such a cultural influence that somebody robbed a bank in San Marcos using Honey Bunny’s story exactly as he told it. It was believed that the robber walked out of a matinee screening of PF and went straight over to the bank. No idea if he was ever caught.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Pulp Fiction created a genre and killed off the genre of inoffensive, safe action movies that we now associate with the 80’s. 
Personally I would argue that it’s QTs best movie, but it’s certainly one of the 5-10 most important movies ever made, on the level of Star Wars, the Wizard of Oz, Jaws, Gone with the Wind, the Battleship Potemkin, Frankenstein, etc.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

It was such a cultural influence that somebody robbed a bank in San Marcos using Honey Bunny’s story exactly as he told it. It was believed that the robber walked out of a matinee screening of PF and went straight over to the bank. No idea if he was ever caught.

source?

Just now, CooterBrown said:

My uncle in San Marcos had saved the local paper for me so I could read about it. I don’t know if it made the austin news or not. We were both fans of PF and he was quite impressed that somebody pulled it off.

sounds legit 🤙

Jackie Brown aged well, Pulp Fiction did not. 

Only hardcore QT Heads liked Jackie Brown when it came out. Pulp Fiction was the biggest movie in the world and a cultural phenomenon when it premiered. 

To rank Jackie Brown as the better movie is revisionist history, which QT is a big fan of. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

Since we’re skirting around the edges of doing this:

1. Inglorious Bastards

2. Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Jackie Brown

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Kill Bill 1

7. Hateful 8

8. Django Unchained (probably a better movie than several of the above, but I’ve never once had the inclination to revisit it, unlike every other QT movie) 

9. Kill Bill 2

10. Death Proof

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Since we’re skirting around the edges of doing this:

1. Inglorious Bastards

2. Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood

3. Pulp Fiction

4. Jackie Brown

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Kill Bill 1

7. Hateful 8

8. Django Unchained (probably a better movie than several of the above, but I’ve never once had the inclination to revisit it, unlike every other QT movie) 

9. Kill Bill 2

10. Death Proof

My problem with Reservoir Dogs is that it's an 8 minute movie. After the diner scene, and the opening credits it's a very slow movie. 

1) Pulp Fiction 

2) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

3) Jackie Brown 

4) Hateful 8 

5) Django Unchained

6) Inglorious Basterds 

7) Reservoir Dogs 

8.) Kill Bill Volume 1 

9) Kill Bill Volume 2

10) Death Proof 

Jackie Brown and Once Upon a Time are the most rewatchable. I love westerns, but the Hateful 8 isn't a cheerful rewatch like Rio Bravo. 

I'd probably rank True Romance 8th if we're going to give QT full credit for that one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My problem with Reservoir Dogs is that it's an 8 minute movie. After the diner scene, and the opening credits it's a very slow movie. 

1) Pulp Fiction 

2) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 

3) Jackie Brown 

4) Hateful 8 

5) Django Unchained

6) Inglorious Basterds 

7) Reservoir Dogs 

8.) Kill Bill Volume 1 

9) Kill Bill Volume 2

10) Death Proof 

Jackie Brown and Once Upon a Time are the most rewatchable. I love westerns, but the Hateful 8 isn't a cheerful rewatch like Rio Bravo. 

I'd probably rank True Romance 8th if we're going to give QT full credit for that one. 

True Romance would be 4 or 5 for me. Fucking love that movie.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What did Tarantino have to do with True Romance?

As BigOrange1 said, he not only wrote it but he created characters that would also eventually appear in the QT universe.  Both in the past, and still yet to come. 

There is a world where Alabama gets work before/after Mexico and Mr. Wolf also trades as Mr. White.  

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Give that man a cigar. That's QT in a nutshell. His hard on for his cinematic muses and social touchstones are obvious. Like a C+ Scorsese, he pays homage to them. With some quirky dialogue. Then more dialogue. And yet more dialogue where he tries to convince the audience that, hey...you're pretty fucking hip for paying attention to all this dialogue, honey bunny. You're ready to wander the earth like Kwai Chang Cain in Kung Fu! 

He had the courage, vision and a shit load of luck to drop PF during a time of complete corporate-owned cinematic bullshit. And he stirred things up for a bit. Now, twenty years later the studios are still only pumping money into comic book movies or Fast and Furious bullshit. And he knows he can drop a movie where he drops the N-bomb with just the right lighting and cast to make it cool. 

I applaud him for introducing people to overlooked B and C grade movies. 

he wrote it.

He also wrote the story for Natural Born Killers, the screenplay for From Dusk Til Dawn, and his segment of Four Rooms.

Also, technically his first film was My Best Friend’s Birthday. It was originally feature length but the last half of the film was lost in a fire during editing. The remaining footage was edited down to a 30 minute film.

Watched PF last night. The $5 milkshake line did not age well.

Because of inflation? The movie takes place in the 90’s. We know things cost less back then. $5 milkshake would be a rip. Would it be better if he had said $12 milkshake?

Were there mid-90’s cars? Does that make it age poorly?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pulp Fiction is a pretty dark movie. Needles, an overdose, rape, a gimp, and a lot of gore. There are some great scenes, but it’s not something you want to watch over and over again. 

Meanwhile over in Venice Beach, Samuel L. Jackson and De Niro are just hanging out with Bridget Fonda being cool as hell. What’s the most disturbing scene in Jackie Brown? De Niro’s justifiable homicide of Fonda? The Beaumont scene is absolutely  brilliant. Beautifully shot with the perfect song score. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Pulp Fiction is a pretty dark movie. Needles, an overdose, rape, a gimp, and a lot of gore. There are some great scenes, but it’s not something you want to watch over and over again. 

Meanwhile over in Venice Beach, Samuel L. Jackson and De Niro are just hanging out with Bridget Fonda being cool as hell. What’s the most disturbing scene in Jackie Brown? De Niro’s justifiable homicide of Fonda? The Beaumont scene is absolutely  brilliant. Beautifully shot with the perfect song score. 

Not too long ago I rewatched Pulp Fiction. It occurred to me, as I explained the ninja sword to my teenage son who wandered through the room, that the collection of characters and aesthetic is just one step above the urban legends that make up Less Than Zero (the novel). Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great movie that changed the path of the industry, but parts of it are as cringe as the pussy eating scene in Chasing Amy.

25 minutes ago, Apep said:

Not too long ago I rewatched Pulp Fiction. It occurred to me, as I explained the ninja sword to my teenage son who wandered through the room, that the collection of characters and aesthetic is just one step above the urban legends that make up Less Than Zero (the novel). Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great movie that changed the path of the industry, but parts of it are as cringe as the pussy eating scene in Chasing Amy.

Wut?

Because of inflation? The movie takes place in the 90’s. We know things cost less back then. $5 milkshake would be a rip. Would it be better if he had said $12 milkshake?

Were there mid-90’s cars? Does that make it age poorly?

Yea. Milkshake at McDonald’s costs $5 these days.

22 hours ago, mchookem said:

yeah it was incredibly ground-breaking. i remember the first time, my jaw just hitting the floor scene after scene after scene. i saw it 3 times in the first week!

Almost 30 years later and I still remember everyone walking out just stunned by what we just witnessed. Being 52 now, 90's indie cinema is my happy place. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Yea. Milkshake at McDonald’s costs $5 these days.

And the movie takes place in the 90’s. So it’s pretty obvious that $5 was a lot back then. It doesn’t poorly age the movie.

Its also of note that PF probably influenced the proliferation of themed-diners and adult burger places. Thus, leading to more premium milk shakes.

Jackie Brown is not in the same ballpark as PF and should only in the discussion of Bottom 3 QT movies.

The casting of Jackie Brown includes b-team actors in prominent roles. While it was refreshing to see Robert Forester comeback, Pam Grier was out of her element, since she could barely act. She was mostly eye candy back in her prime and QT dusted her off out of nostalgia. It worked but not to the extent of casting Uma Thurman in PF or Christopher Waltz, both exceptional actors. And Chris Tucker was in the movie.

I’d say Hollywood could’ve been trimmed down. I’d put it below PF and IB for that reason - contrast to Hollywood, both of these movies moved along rapidly and just about every scene was amazing.

This auteur-style, releasing a 3-hour movie suits QT well, since his stuff is always pretty good. Nevertheless, tight scripts and economy are usually necessary aspects of great films.

• Hook 'Em 1

And the movie takes place in the 90’s. So it’s pretty obvious that $5 was a lot back then. It doesn’t poorly age the movie.

Its also of note that PF probably influenced the proliferation of themed-diners and adult burger places. Thus, leading to more premium milk shakes.

Rocko, is that you?

10 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

More than Coming Home In A Bodybag?

I think "Bodybags II" would have been even better than the original, but they had to re-edit it when something supposedly happened to one of the producers towards the end of principal photography.  

25 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Didn't really get the Kill Bill's or the Roadhouses but geniuses get to fuck around. 

this. KB(s) weren't bad, and i've def watched them more than a few times...but those all kinda felt cartoonish. maybe like comic books. just too over the top.

and i assume he was responsible for the first half of Dusk Til Dawn... which is the half i prefer. the first half of that movie is some seriously dark shit 😳

i have no problem putting him in the company of Scorcese, the Coens, Eastwood, etc.