Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

Uma escaping from the grave 

I watch old Mike Tyson highlights and always think Iron Mike would be the all time champion of that training she has to do where she punches from the length on her fingers.  When he gets close to the other guy it seems impossible the force he generates.  Anyway Michael Madsen would be outta luck trying to bury him. 

• 1 month later...

Got the audiobook, and gave up in five minutes.  Narrated by Jennifer Jason Leigh, with the most horrific lazy vocal fry I have ever heard, and I've heard, and hated, a lot.

How they let this be released is beyond me.

Going to pick up the book.  I thought this would be a good one for the audio, but not with that voice.

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 9:22 AM, washparkhorn said:

Great flick - but I am afraid the unwashed masses will miss the point. 1969 was a pivotal year in Hollywood. Sharon Tate was the "It girl" - ascendant in her stardom. QT was a six year old boy in the backwater midwest who idolized cinema and its stars. The movie is a tale with a hero's arc fleshed out in its characters. I saw it as QT's most personal film to date. While others were dreaming of the moon, he was dreaming of the Golden Era of Hollywood. 

Ignore the unwashed and see the movie. Don't read reviews (which are almost universally positive) and immerse yourself in the film looking for the breadcrumbs. They are there. Five years from now you will be glad you went. 

I can't go thru all 15 pages in one sitting, so siap, the first 10 minutes of this interview with QT speaks to this post the most(est)

...and this 12 episode season of You Must Remember This plunges into the cultural split of 1969. 

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/2020/1/20/charles-mansons-hollywood

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:57 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Pretty random? The whole movie you experience a sense of dread, especially watching the fetching Margot Robbie portray the vibrant Sharon Tate. You see this magnificent human go to the movie theater thrilled to see herself in the movie. You think, “Good god, she’s about to get filleted by some damn hippies!” And she’s pregnant. Fuck!

You’re wondering how Rick and Cliff are mixed up in this. Then the alternate ending. It’s amazing. The ultimate redemption. And if you have no clue about Manson or Sharon Tate, maybe you don’t have those thoughts and you miss out.

I can understand the criticism of many of Tarantino’s films as self-indulgent or overly long. The best movies are usually streamlined. Economic. No wasted scenes. Still, there was a lot of meat in this one.

spacer.png

I'm a big Pulp Fiction fan.  IMO this movie set the standard for the out of chronological-order story line.  To me, many of the QT films have a bit of noir like feel to them, similar to Nightcrawler.  PF also gave new life to Travolta, who went on to do Get Shorty not long after, though PF dwarfed GS in $$.  People forget the budget for PF was only $6-$8M iirc, however  Miramax did pick it up.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I'm a big Pulp Fiction fan.  IMO this movie set the standard for the out of chronological-order story line.  To me, many of the QT films have a bit of noir like feel to them, similar to Nightcrawler.  PF also gave new life to Travolta, who went on to do Get Shorty not long after, though PF dwarfed GS in $$.  People forget the budget for PF was only $6-$8M iirc, however  Miramax did pick it up.

cool. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wikipedia says 8-8.5M, vs 90-96M for OUaTiH. Amazing.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am curious yellow
The sweet body of Deborah
The bridge
A bunch of kirosawas
Movies starring aldo ray

I’ve already downloaded a lot of stuff from the list so it’s all in my giant movie tsundoku. Those are the ones I can remember.

Sorry. More of just a recommendation for folks who liked the movie that they will probably like the book.

If you liked the movie, the book is fuckin’ great.

He wrote himself as a director and a little kid into it, and I wrote down 20 movies to watch from the references.

Now I want to watch it again.

I just finished the book. I thought it was good, not great. It definitely answered a few of the questions from the movie.