Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

mdmost

I took the Bruce lee scene as fully imagined by Pitt. Like he thought he wanted to go back to work, then considered how it might go, and fantasized that and said fair enough, I’ll just fix this antenna. That’s why lee was like I can whoop Ali’s ass and then Pitt just destroys him.

Then that made me think maybe the end was just an acid fantasy of his too. I did wonder why Kurt Russell was narrating that part.

I took it as Cliff remembering back to the day he fucked up his career.
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 3:33 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Also, you can't smoke LSD. Kind of surprised that Tarantino fucked that one up. 

I mean, I guess you *can* smoke it, but it doesn't do anything for you. 

I thought it was just the paper was soaked in it so it would be similar to those little tabs of paper which would provide the desired effect prior to being burned. 

Tarantino had to talk Margaret Qualley into exposing her feet.

hashtag #metoe

Instead of freaking out about flirting with Pitt, Qualley was nervous to let Quentin Tarantino’s camera linger on her toes. “I genuinely was like, ‘Quentin, this is a bad idea. I don’t have good feet,’” Qualley told IndieWire. “I was in pointe shoes for far too long to have toes that can be shown to the world.” Qualley explained:

“We had a big debate about it, me, Quentin, and Brad, with them trying to be like, ‘You’re fine,’ and me being like, ‘No, guys, really, look, these are not good,’” Qualley recalled. “‘I know that I undermine myself pretty regularly, but I’m genuinely telling you these are not good feet, look at these. I know I’m self-deprecating, but I’m not being in this particular instance.’”

Eventually, Qualley caved and “did the foot thing,” she said, with no regrets. “I used to actually be pretty mortified with my feet,” she said. “Maybe I can finally just give up that now.”

3 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

I thought it was just the paper was soaked in it so it would be similar to those little tabs of paper which would provide the desired effect prior to being burned. 

I smoked a really old Marlboro red I found in the back of my Camaro back in the day.  It had to have been back there at least a year, because I know the chick who had been smoking back there after I railed her a year prior.  Just being old I got a buzz off of it.  I'm no expert, but I'd think something soaked in LSD would transfer in some way.

I thought his foot fetish was much more toned down in this film. Most of the time, the feet were out of focus...except when Dakota Fanning was watching TV.  We did not need to linger on those size 14 bipedal ape skis. Holy fuck, for her sake, I hope it was just  the angle from my front row seat but those meat wheels were fucking atrocious. 

• Haha 2

Really enjoyed it.

Tarantino's attention to detail is pretty phenomenal. As a car guy, I was impressed with the realism and variety of the 2000 extra cars used in the film.

The '66 Cad that Pitt drove was the same one used in Reservoir Dogs and is still owned by Madsen. I'm betting that car could go for some cash some day at auction.  

I've seen more than one article that complains about his supposed misogyny and how he depicts women. The fact that he showed Sharon Tate and Leo's Italian wife snoring, the fact that all the women had dirty feet, the implication that Brad Pitt killed his wife but he's still the hero in the end.

They're also complaining about the lack of lines that he gives women. Time magazine went ahead and tabulated how much women talk in Tarantino movies.

We Counted Every Line in Every Quentin Tarantino Film to See How Often Women Talk

https://i.ibb.co/5nPvY0H/taran.png

The data show clearly that men have gotten the majority of dialogue in Tarantino’s films. In part that’s because most of the director’s films have male leads as well as a majority-male cast. But even Tarantino films with female leads and more female characters tend to give more dialogue to men: in Kill Bill: Volume 2, for example, the share of lines going to male actors was 17.5 percentage points higher than those given to women; in Jackie Brown, it’s a startling 39.8 percentage points higher.

3 minutes ago, ajax said:

But even Tarantino films with female leads and more female characters tend to give more dialogue to men: in Kill Bill: Volume 2, for example, the share of lines going to male actors was 17.5 percentage points higher than those given to women;

if someone can get data to show that Kill Bill was male-centric, then their data is garbage.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

We live in a world where Avengers movies go 3 hours. It’s unoriginal, formulaic, comic book shit with extravagant CGI. We’ve now had 20 Marvel movies and people line up and sit through them for 3 hours of the same shit and no one seems to complain.

I’ll gladly sit through a Quentin Tarantino film that goes 2 hours 40 minutes with original characters and an original story.

Even though after hour 2 I "felt" that it was taking a long time, there was no point where I was "bored". I can't blame a director for my attention span.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:23 AM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Really enjoyed it.

Tarantino's attention to detail is pretty phenomenal. As a car guy, I was impressed with the realism and variety of the 2000 extra cars used in the film.

Pretty sure I saw the same black Mustang in the background of two different scenes, though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msbesq said:

Wife and I loved it. We are old enough to remember the Manson family and we loved the homage to old Hollywood. It was nice to see how Margot Robbie portrayed Sharon Tate--a real lightness and joie de vivre about her.

But she didn't have enough lines!!!!!!!!!!ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!

On 8/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, Neonmoon said:

It was long winded. It was a love letter to the Hollywood of old. I though it was okay. Let’s be honest, I could watch Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio just hang out for 2 hours, and to be fair, that’s basically a large part of this movie. I just didn’t think there was much of anything happening really. 

This is where I'm at.  I love Tarentino but I couldn't figure out where he was going with this one.

The Playboy Mansion party was just ... bad.  Looked like an American Bandstand episode.  Maybe that was what he was after, but it set the tone for disappointment for me rest of the way.  Unusual movie for him, not what I expected.

Finally watched it this morning. Maybe 10 people in the theater. Just like I like it. Enjoyed the hell out of it. It didn't feel like 2 hours and 40 minutes. 

My takeaway on Rick was he was a man that wanted more and felt his chance had passed him by, but was failing to understand that people had an appreciation for the work he had done. Pacino's character appreciated his work, the director of Lancer appreciated his talent, as did the actors he worked with. He made his mark, but the twilight of his career clouded his recognition of that fact. ("That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride!") The excitement Sharon Tate and her friends had at finally meeting the famous neighbor, seemed to put all his worries behind him. I mean, hell, three people, who tried to kill his friends and family, were just brutally killed in his home, and all it took for him to put it behind him was Sharon Tate's admiration and asking if he wanted to hang out with them. (Of course, Tate/Robbie could have that effect on almost any man.)

Rick, Sharon, and the little girl actress were the three stages of a career. Rick was dealing with the aftermath of success and his prime being behind him, the girl was trying to move forward into a career and success, and Sharon was basking in the glory of just breaking out into success. 

But, I've been drinking, so...

• Like 6

As someone who's had a morbid fascination with the Tate/LaBianca murders since forever, have even read Helter Skelter twice (highly recommended), this movie was satisfying as fuck.

That ending was for the fans.

As proof, I submit this pic from my recent trip to San Francisco:

ddaaab9038f12774170483673f0379d1.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 10:25 AM, ajax said:

I've seen more than one article that complains about his supposed misogyny and how he depicts women. The fact that he showed Sharon Tate and Leo's Italian wife snoring, the fact that all the women had dirty feet, the implication that Brad Pitt killed his wife but he's still the hero in the end.

They're also complaining about the lack of lines that he gives women. Time magazine went ahead and tabulated how much women talk in Tarantino movies.

We Counted Every Line in Every Quentin Tarantino Film to See How Often Women Talk

https://i.ibb.co/5nPvY0H/taran.png

"The data says..."

Graduate students are ruining this country. 

I thought is was remarkable how he humanized Tate with so little dialogue. He tells the story with the actor's face which takes faith in the actor. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

As someone who's had a morbid fascination with the Tate/LaBianca murders since forever, have even read Helter Skelter twice (highly recommended), this movie was satisfying as fuck.

That ending was for the fans.

As proof, I submit this pic from my recent trip to San Francisco:

ddaaab9038f12774170483673f0379d1.jpg

Right there with you. I've absorbed every detail of those murders. Getting wiped out by Cliff and his dog is how you hoped real life would have happened. 

• Like 2

Is that murder so far back in history that some people don't have an inkling of the true story?

To add to Deej's fine analysis, -SPOILER-

Spoiler

To add to Deej's fine analysis, I thought Tarantino was hunting the familiar game of how that murder changed America. The Tate killings and the Clutter murders (In Cold Blood) are often cited as watershed moments in the loss of American innocence.

I thought Tarantino was doing such a deft job of portraying the times so he could portray the horror of the killings in his brutally honest way (the near-castration in Django took all the abstraction out of that concept). His decision to illustrate this by changing history and having his sweet Sharon Tate survive was very moving, I thought.

Margot Robbie is outstanding. She manages to portray Tate as a stunningly beautiful innocent who is nowhere near being a bimbo. The Steve McQueen (Damian Lewis, it took me a second to figure out it was him) scene at the PB Mansion is also brilliantly illustrative exposition.

The Academy should generate a cast best actors award. This movie was such a pleasure. So few things draw me to the theater anymore. I just can't get into the comic book heroes or animated features. But that's for another post.

Great movie.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Is that murder so far back in history that some people don't have an inkling of the true story?

Yes. I had to explain the Manson murders to some 20 year olds at the office after they saw the movie. They had zero knowledge. 

Edited by Deej

Yes. I had to explain the Manson murders to some 20 year olds at the office after they saw the movie. They had zero knowledge. 

The shit I have to explain to that bunch in my office is maddening sometimes. Yes, Brylee, we had a tax law change in the 80s that wiped out about half the value of commercial real estate, the savings and loan industry with it, and plunged the country into a massive recession. How is it again that you have an MRED and have never heard of this concept?

But that’s a different discussion.
  • Like 3