A Venue Named "Rednecks With Paychecks". ATVs. A Guy from OK.

Wally Pryor

What could wrong?  Plenty.

An Oklahoma man died after he was injured in an ATV crash Saturday morning at "Rednecks with Paychecks," an off-road amusement venue in Montague County. 

Steven Fairbairn, 25, of Duncan, Okla., died about 10:30 a.m. at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner's office.

Fairbairn was riding an all-terrain vehicle when he collided with a utility vehicle on a gravel road in the park near the town of St. Jo., according to the Wichita Falls Times Record News.

He was not wearing a helmet and suffered fatal blunt-force trauma to his head, the ME's office said.

His death is the third in the past three years at the venue. In 2015, a Fort Worth boy died when his ATV ran into a pickup. A year later, a Crowley woman was killed when an ATV flipped on top of her.

Morse said he and his team work hard to make the park safe, but that they can only do so much to prepare.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2019/03/20/man-dies-after-crashing-atv-atrednecks-paychecks-event-atnorth-texas-park

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

His death is the third in the past three years at the venue

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Morse said he and his team work hard to make the park safe, but that they can only do so much to prepare.

Who the fuck is insuring this place?

2 minutes ago, thestud said:

No it is not. This is the 4th fatality in almost 30 events that have been held at the park, and the first in almost 3 years. Very little drugs are to be found there as well. Thanks for playing

How much did you invest in RWP?

They just need to take a few added precautions.

tenor.gif?itemid=11763215

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thestud said:

I wish I had a monetary interest in it, Derek the owner has made millions off of it and the marketing that goes along with it.

Well then I'm sure he can afford to lose a knucklehead every now and then. Small price to pay for success.

3 minutes ago, thestud said:

Has strict rules for the park and enforced them to a fault. 

Apparently not.

It’s a sad deal, but at the end of the day the deceased broke about a half dozen park rules that all were direct contributors to his demise. Unfortunately that can be said of 2 of the other 3 fatalities out there as well.

• Like 1

What’s so hard for you to comprehend? Let me know and I’ll see if I can break it down in simpler terms for you.

If they enforced the rules as strictly enforced as you declare, how did the deaths occur? The security isn't as you imagine. Stop trying to PR the situation because the guy is a buddy of yours.

Edited by RPM

51 minutes ago, thestud said:

No it is not. This is the 4th fatality in almost 30 events that have been held at the park, and the first in almost 3 years. Very little drugs are to be found there as well. Thanks for playing

hello mr. morse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thestud said:

So it’s the third death in the last 3-4 years, and the fourth death out of 30 events...meaning there’s a >14% chance someone will die at any given event. That seems less than ideal

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So it’s the third death in the last 3-4 years, and the fourth death out of 30 events...meaning there’s a >14% chance someone will die at any given event. That seems less than ideal

But -- and this is a strong counterpoint -- most of the attendees aren't really good at math.

Point, rednecks.

My uneducated guess is that plaintiff’s counsel smiles and insurance counsel cringes every time responsible party says:

Shit happens, people break the rules and they get tossed. This guy broke the rules and before he could be tossed he died. I didn’t think it that hard to understand.”

Add in some dumbass employee who says “oh yeah, you could see it coming - it was just too expensive to ————, so we never fixed it,” and you’ve got your next champion for tort reform at the defendant’s table.

• Like 2

Not trying to trivialize the death, but does anyone really think people wouldn’t die at an ATV amusement park? People die on ATVs; of course there’s gonna be fatalities at an ATV amusement park. 

Edited by destroya

Derrick is a dear friend of mine. The only advise I have ever given him is to have the attorneys that wrote his liability waiver on retainer to defend it. It gets pretty vicious out there, he has talked about hanging it up.

CHIEF

20 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Derrick is a dear friend of mine. The only advise I have ever given him is to have the attorneys that wrote his liability waiver on retainer to defend it. It gets pretty vicious out there, he has talked about hanging it up.

CHIEF

5 hours ago, thestud said:

I wish I had a monetary interest in it, Derek the owner has made millions off of it and the marketing that goes along with it.

Do the rest of his good friends agree on how his name is spelled?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

Always one of my favorites. You can look up their other shit too. It’s ridiculous.

Good thing they strictly enforced the rules. Somebody might have been hurt otherwise. Just look at all those security officers.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Derek, or Derrick,  said it still had the paper tags and less than 500 miles on it.

CHIEF

Doesn’t matter, can’t argue with internet know it alls.  In 3 years working around chemical plants and refineries, there were 3 deaths.  Shut them down, it’s dangerous.  

The quote from the idiot owner will be great in court, “there’s only so much we can do to make this place safe.” 

At my chainsaw juggling park, I tell people to grab the chainsaws by the handle only. I’m not responsible when they fail to do that. There’s a sign on the wall that explains everything.  And don’t get me started on people that fail to act properly in the “swim with great white sharks” tank. 

and the owner be making a killing money wise but that doesn’t make even less of an idiot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

That's what I was thinking. That's a HORRIBLE track record. I wouldn't be bragging that information to help my buddy Derek, it makes his place look even worse.

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

That's what I was thinking. That's a HORRIBLE track record. I wouldn't be bragging that information to help my buddy Derek, it makes his place look even worse.

I seriously doubt the people going to this place have taken the time to research it's track record. 

I don't care if anyone is friends with the guy or not, he sounds like a piece of shit for keeping it open after the 2nd death. 

I get after the first death. Kind of. I mean, people are idiots, accidents happen, you can use it as an excuse to make the policies and rules more stringent. Go with the "I feel awful and I'm going to do everything in my power to ensure something like that doesn't happen again".

After the SECOND person, pretty sure the responsible thing to do is step away and admit that you are doing a piss-poor job at enforcing safety requirements. I can't imagine enabling 2 people to kill themselves and being morally okay enough with it to keep the charade running long enough for it to happen again. 

But, you know, natural selection and all that. 

Four wheelers and other off road vehicles are dangerous, especially when operated in an environment like that. So are lots of other sports. Should they close down Yosemite due to climbing deaths? Should they shut down all roughstock events at rodeos due to deaths that occur? Any person with a functioning brain cell knows that kind of stuff is dangerous and that participating comes with an elevated risk of death.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't care if anyone is friends with the guy or not, he sounds like a piece of shit for keeping it open after the 2nd death. 

I get after the first death. Kind of. I mean, people are idiots, accidents happen, you can use it as an excuse to make the policies and rules more stringent. Go with the "I feel awful and I'm going to do everything in my power to ensure something like that doesn't happen again".

After the SECOND person, pretty sure the responsible thing to do is step away and admit that you are doing a piss-poor job at enforcing safety requirements. I can't imagine enabling 2 people to kill themselves and being morally okay enough with it to keep the charade running long enough for it to happen again. 

But, you know, natural selection and all that. 

On the other hand what are we really losing when somebody dies at one of these events (children excluded)?

Doing dangerous things is fun.  Sometimes folks get hurt, sometimes killed.  It's part of the deal.  

I've ridden motorcycles for 45 years; motocross, flat track, street and now Harleys.  I've known a lot of folks who've gotten hurt badly and killed, yet I still do it because I absolutely love it.

So, RNWPC isn't my thing but I get the mindset.  If they know the risk and still want to go out and do it...more power to 'em.  

• Like 1

We went once and only once, it was the year the kid ran into the side of the pickup. It is a spectacle. Mainly oilfield trash with too much money. I bet there was at least 500-1000 monster trucks (Rockwell axles off of 2 1/2 ton army trucks). It rained the whole time. Some very unsavory tits being flashed. We had the high rack on our Jeep, so always had a good spot to watch the mayhem. Barbie Jeep race is always nuts:

CHIEF

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Serious question.  This seems like a lawyers wet dream scenario, yet it's still standing.  So what gives?

This goes for BSR Cable Park in Waco too. There have been multiple fatalities there.

Edited by SimonBolivar

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

This goes for BSR Cable Park in Waco too. There have been multiple fatalities there.

LOL, know these guys as well. Their Dad used to own the Texas Safari wildlife park in Clifton. Andrew Parsons is the only one I know real well, but he isn't one of the owners of BSR. A good defense attorney could make millions defending BSR and RWP, would be a full time job.

These deaths just serve to clean up the gene pool a bit.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF