Vice President tells NASA to get to the Moon in 5 years.

atomheartbevo

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/

Vice President Mike Pence issued a challenge to NASA today to get back to the moon within five years.

We choose to go to the moon (again): Pence made the 2024 declaration at today’s National Space Council meeting. “The National Space Council will send recommendations to the president that will launch a major course correction for NASA, and reignite that spark of urgency that propelled America to the vanguard of space exploration 50 years ago,” he said.

Pole position: Pence said the target for the journey is a landing at the lunar south pole, where deposits of water ice are known to reside. He said the area holds great scientific and strategic value.

What’s it going to take? Some quick work on rockets, and money. Pence urged an acceleration of work on the Space Launch System, which has suffered many delays. As for cash, NASA’s percentage of the federal budget right now is a fraction of what it was during the Apollo years. In 1966 it had nearly 4.5% of the budget. For the next fiscal year it’s currently allocated to have about 0.4%. To realistically make this goal happen, NASA’s numbers will need quite a spike.

https://www.space.com/us-astronauts-moon-return-by-2024.html

The nation had been shooting for a 2028 lunar touchdown, but "that's just not good enough," Pence said during the fifth meeting of the National Space Council (NSC), which he chairs. "We're better than that."

So, it is now the official policy of the United States to return astronauts to the surface of the moon by 2024, the vice president stressed, invoking a 21st-century space race with China and Russia.

"Urgency must be our watchword," Pence said at the NSC meeting, which was held at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama. "The United States must remain first in space in this century as in the last, not just to propel our economy and secure our nation but, above all, because the rules and values of space, like every great frontier, will be written by those who have the courage to get there first and the commitment to stay."

And the United States is indeed committed to stay, Pence added. The nation's next giant leap in space, he said, involves establishing a permanent base on the lunar surface "and developing the technologies to take American astronauts to Mars and beyond."

That base will likely be built near the moon's south pole, which harbors abundant water ice on the floors of permanently shadowed craters. The NSC, which helps steer and streamline the nation's space policy, will recommend today that NASA's next crewed surface mission target that region, Pence said.

The vice president acknowledged the aggressiveness of the 2024 timeline but stressed that it is achievable, citing the successful Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969, just 12 years after the dawn of the space age.

These are some pretty scary statements:

The nation had been shooting for a 2028 lunar touchdown, but "that's just not good enough," Pence said during the fifth meeting of the National Space Council (NSC), which he chairs. "We're better than that."

"Urgency must be our watchword,"

———+

Estimates I’ve seen say $120 billion to do it.  NASA’s budget is what, $20 billion?  And we aren’t even back to launching people into space on our own yet (later this year). 

And there is so much institutional knowledge that’s been lost from folks retiring to being laid off from NASA, who came on in the 60s and 70s. 

Paging @RamjetFDO

Holy fuck: 

Success this time around will require an "all-hands-on-deck approach," which may include the use of commercial rockets if NASA's in-development Space Launch System megarocket isn't ready to go, Pence said. And, he added, "NASA must transform itself into a leaner, more accountable and more agile agency."

Make NASA “leaner”.  

But give it a mission that’s many times more complex than the ISS.  

30 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Getting "GO FEVER" will result in people being killed.  And that could be the end of the US Manned Space Program

This is what scares me.  I’d love to see people on the moon (although I’d rather the resources be put into Mars), but one fuckup that kills people, and that will be it. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

These are some pretty scary statements:

"Urgency must be our watchword,"

———+

Estimates I’ve seen say $120 billion to do it.  NASA’s budget is what, $20 billion?  And we aren’t even back to launching people into space on our own yet (later this year). 

And there is so much institutional knowledge that’s been lost from folks retiring to being laid off from NASA, who came on in the 60s and 70s. 

Paging @RamjetFDO

Living here in Huntsville and growing up with other rocket scientist kids - this is absolutely true and a shame. Most of the engineers from Saturn are long gone. Went to an estate sale last week just because it was one of the top German scientists and I wanted to see what was in his house.  To echo ramjets comments - about 20 years ago IBM had a meeting at the space center and a veteran of Apollo and I were looking at the Saturn flight package that IBM built. Guy was part of it and told me it was interesting to work on something that if you screwed up would probably kill a group of astronauts.

Edited by AUinHsv

52 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Since the first moon landing, the moon has gotten 200 centimeters (78 inches, or a little over 2 1/2 feet) farther from Earth.

I'm sorry, but we just don't have the technology to make up that gap.

bruh, all you have to do is send someone taller.  duh

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Pence wants our engineers to ensure that our rockets are the best, very strong....long, hard.  They need great girth.  He can picture them now, erect and throbbing and ready to launch.

Much larger in all aspects than the North Korean rockets and the Russian rockets and the Democrat rockets. Wait...

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Since the first moon landing, the moon has gotten 200 centimeters (78 inches, or a little over 6 1/2 feet) farther from Earth.

I'm sorry, but we just don't have the technology to make up that gap.

Glad you fixed your conversion before we revoke that PhakeHD

I assume Pence won’t allow any women on the lunar mission during a full moon?  Since he’d technically be with a woman, whom is not his wife, after dark.