Vice President tells NASA to get to the Moon in 5 years.

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Next launch attempt is Tuesday, 9/27 at 10:37 CDT.

Maybe

https://www.wsj.com/articles/storm-moving-toward-florida-threatens-next-weeks-artemis-moon-launch-11663963103

The agency is mon­i­tor­ing the trop­i­cal de­pres­sion and is likely to make a de­ci­sion over the week­end about a pos­si­ble launch at­tempt from the Kennedy Space Cen­ter in Flor­ida that is cur­rently sched­uled for next Tues­day.

….

Of­fi­cials could de­cide to roll back the rocket to a stor­age build­ing at the Kennedy prop­erty as soon as Fri­day evening, lo­cated along the At­lantic coast east of Or­lando. It typ­i­cally takes about three days to roll the ve­hi­cle back to that fa­cil­ity, a spokes­woman said.

22 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Another week.  Another test.

Replaced/repaired (could never get a straight answer) the sensor that had been acting up.  Fueled it up again, ran the tests.  It's still leaking, but now below thresholds and the replaced/repaired sensor shows proper flow to the engine to cool it down pre-ignition.  

Next launch attempt is Tuesday, 9/27 at 10:37 CDT.

While there was a claim of a successful test, I'm still more than a bit concerned at a leak rate that might leave excess H2 hanging about when those engines actually ignite.

Those darn sensors!   We keep replacing them and they keep saying there is a problem!?   Well, let’s keep working to fix the symptom!

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Oh, that only has a 23.6π!!1ONE789dickbutt% chance of working.

A couple friends of mine work on the Artemis human systems here in Houston, I'm really pulling for this boondoggle to fly (successfully). But damn at what point do you think NASA will consider scrapping the whole rocket? The Orion capsule seems like they've worked out the gremlins now at least. Presuming Boeing figured out their software problems lol

25 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Oh, that only has a 23.6π!!1ONE789dickbutt% chance of working.

Yes, obviously I know what this measurement signifies but for everyone else can you explain the metric equivalent of 1 dickbutt?  

I see the window opens, more or less, right after midnight-CST on Wednesday morning.  What's the professional opinion on here about what time would liftoff most likely happen given the window?  Also, if there are more Boeing issues, has anyone there considered unplugging Artemis and then plugging it back in?  

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

A couple friends of mine work on the Artemis human systems here in Houston, I'm really pulling for this boondoggle to fly (successfully). But damn at what point do you think NASA will consider scrapping the whole rocket? The Orion capsule seems like they've worked out the gremlins now at least. Presuming Boeing figured out their software problems lol

Never.  They will never scrap this launch.  NASA will fly it or blow it up.  They are not capable of slinking away in defeat.

Now, having said that - they may redefine what "victory" means (i.e., *one* flight of this system) and then "graciously" turn over all data and control to the private sector.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, obviously I know what this measurement signifies but for everyone else can you explain the metric equivalent of 1 dickbutt?  

I see the window opens, more or less, right after midnight-CST on Wednesday morning.  What's the professional opinion on here about what time would liftoff most likely happen given the window?  Also, if there are more Boeing issues, has anyone there considered unplugging Artemis and then plugging it back in?  

The window opens at the optimal time - that'll be the target.  Whenever we created launch windows for Shuttle, they were completely dependent on the mission profile.  Even when the "optimal" launch point (based on performance/planar steering/etc.) was in the middle of the window, we always targeted the *beginning* of the window because that gave you the most margin and time to resolve issues for a launch *sometime* in that window.

Oh, and here's the latest employee at KSC Launch Control:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Roughly nine hours to go for tonight's launch attempt at 12:04am Central on Weds morning (11/16).  The Mission Management Team gave their GO for tonight's attempt - Wx still holding at 90% good.

Here's the official NASA YouTube broadcast link that will go live around 9:30pm tonight (Tues, 11/15):

10 minutes ago, ABSR said:

At what point prior to launch should we determine if they are going to have the same issue as the last time?

When they start to introduce liquid hydrogen into the system. It's an incredibly small molecule that is liable to slip through the tiniest opening, and wouldn't you know it, a rocket built out of retrofitted parts is chock full of interconnects that increase the risk of a fuel leak that would scrub the launch like the last four or five times they've tried

Edited by Captainant

Seems like we've made it past all the tough checks... No safety limits breached and we've gotten deeper into the count than we normally do....

awesome launch GIF

I want to believe

edit: goddamnit the ground crew is approaching to "address a leak in the core stage replenish valve"

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Dammit, Captain...this is why we can't have nice things!  

Red Team at the Path for hold.  

FUCK@ 

Could you imagine being the poor bastard that has to run out to 20,000 tons of liquid oxygen and hydrogen just to go turn a fuckin wrench???

They're running some crew out to retorque bolts on a LH2 replenishment valve WHILE THE STACK IS LOADED!!! 

Holy mother of Jesus

edit: crew about to be walking onto camera in a bit. Should be something else to see people THAT CLOSE to so much potential energy

Edited by Captainant

why don't they just make it T-40 instead of T-10 and 30
That 30 minute hold is approximate... and there are very specific items that happen when the clock starts at T-10.

If something (like tonight) happens to extend that hold more than 30 minutes, T-10 remains unchanged regardless of when it starts.

Did that help?
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Exactly what I was saying earlier.

Sometimes silence and a view of the fucking launch vehicle is really nice.

You don't have to fill every second with something stupid.

And at least fix your captions. We are drinking wine and laughing at all the mistakes. Wish I had taken some screenshots. 

Launch this fucker. Cabo's tracking means nothing. Where the hell is NORAD when ya need em? 

And if it fails we can blame Russia right?