Vice President tells NASA to get to the Moon in 5 years.

atomheartbevo

14 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Well, Apollo 11 left a mirror up there. Anyone can bounce a big enough laser off it and get a return ping.

Anyone can measure their distance to the landing site, assuming you have the engineering chops to build the laser and the detector.

So yep we went to the moon. At last the mirror did. 🙂

Yes, but what my organization presupposes is........what if the mirror that NASA "left" up there is actually a 2-WAY MIRROR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  I have some literature in the back of my windowless van that I'd like you come outside and have a look at.  

checking math...

15 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

I retain a >96% presumption that anyone who doubts this is a moron.  I hold a <4% presumption that they're a (literal) toddler.

Dude, it was a hyperbolic preamble to make a point about the 400,000 people involved not being able to keep a secret.  Hence my follow-up wisecracks about the mirror up there being a 2-way mirror and the O.J. reference from Capricorn One.  More of my astonishment that we did it with such limited computing power. 

The country is nothing but walking conspiracy theories anymore.  Trouble is we forget that usually the simplest explanation is the correct one.  By the time you orchestrate all the moving parts to fake a moon landing from our flat planet...you may as well just put the same time, effort, and money into actually going.  Every once in awhile, yeah...hundreds of thousands of people nationwide (and some foreigners) were involved in a scheme so vast and large so as to fool all of the American People...but it's more likely we just decided to go and worked together to get there and won, sometimes a guy has a ship that just goes farther into space.  As I said in my post, We Went.  I know we did.  And we're going again.  And again after that.  And we're gonna keep going up until we get to what's next. For the same reason we walked out of the cave and atop the bluff...to see the stars and ponder what is next.  

We are made of celestial carbon.  Our trip to Mars is the last wish of a dying star.  And if we don't make it, somebody out there is gonna see us try and come and pay us a visit.  It doesn't lessen our existence, it means we are a part of something so much grander than we were led to believe.   

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, but you stole my maths you sonofabitch.  Now the secret is out dear friends!  

Know how I know we didn't go the moon?  They bothered with that charade of isolating the astronauts upon their return so they could check them for contagions.  If the moon doesn't have an atmosphere, how would anything survive, huh?  Space helmets don't work!  

I am just in awe of all the permutations they had to think about and then reverse-engineer.  I mean, I kinda do that for a living but the "what-if" game had to be incredibly crushing at times.  But obviously it spun off so much cool shit we still enjoy today.  Please tell me they've had a group of you folks locked in a room since 1972 just gaming out Mars so that we finally have the fuel and vehicle capabilities, they've already worst-cased everything else?  My daughter's favorite line in "Hidden Figures" was Costner saying (and I'm gonna butcher this), "We have to figure out the answers to questions we haven't even learned to ask yet."  I tried to explain to her what he meant but I think she got it intuitively.  It's not just the technology off-shoots and the satisfaction of exploration and the knowledge gleaned from new surfaces.  It's the process, the grueling decision to nail down every detail and variable and still maintain sanity for the shit you couldn't possibly see coming.  And it's the teamwork.  Bringing people in regardless of any other factor about them, simply because of what's inside their brain and more important-their hearts.  Artemis isn't there because it was hard or necessary or inspirational.  She's up there because people like you and your colleagues and much of America decided it was worth doing.  And may it be again.   And again.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 3:59 PM, YGIFS said:

I actually still retain 4% skepticism that the Apollo missions didn't occur.  The propulsion and engineering physics of it all were/are possible, but I am not totally convinced the return trip and its tracking were technically possible back then. 

You should have a chat with Buzz Aldrin, face to face.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Copied from a group chat:

Just some GoPros on the Solar Arrays: “Steve Bailey's name came to mind. He was a contractor for LM on Orion. LM usually tasked Steve to work on specific solutions regarding avionics. He proposed a suite of modified GoPro cameras. Our JSC camera and comm experts balked at the solution and tried to get Orion Management to let JSC build new cameras. I made LM go through a trade study to rank the GoPro vs the special purpose non-existent camera. The GoPros won out.

I thought the use of GoPro was ballsy at the time. The cameras were critical 3 function, so why not. I just wished the GoPro have higher resolution and bigger dynamic range, but these are probably 3 generation behind the latest GoPro offerings.”
970eab90b317542a95cbe1a729074e55.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Destin with Smarter Every Day posted a talk he gave to the American Aeronautical Society about mission design and planning. He also raised some incredible flaws in the Artemis III mission plan, like how NASA didn't actually know how many cryogenic orbital refuelings would be needed to land on the moon for A3. Which have never been done before. Destin guessed 12, but nobody had an answer!

Spoiler

After this talk, NASA published a paper that set it at AT LEAST 15 refuelings for a single landing. 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

7 minutes to go, around 1:18am

Watch Astrobotic’s Peregrine lunar lander lift off from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida on a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Vulcan rocket. ULA and Astrobotic are targeting 2:18 a.m. EST (0718 UTC) Monday, Jan. 8, 2024, for the first US commercial robotic launch to the Moon’s surface. The NASA payloads aboard the lander aim to help us develop capabilities needed to explore the Moon under Artemis and in advance of human missions on the lunar surface. For more information about our Commercial Lunar Payload Services initiative, visit: https://go.nasa.gov/3RFR0A5

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

https://gizmodo.com/moon-burial-human-remains-celestis-elysium-astrobotic-1851142728

Two different companies, Celestis and Elysium Space, are launching space memorial missions on board Peregrine. That includes DNA from legendary science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke, as well as the trace cremated ashes of the creator of Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry, and several members of the cast, including Nichelle Nichols, best known for her role as Lieutenant Nyota Uhura. The mission will also endearingly include longtime Star Trek fan Gloria Knowlan, a mother of eight from Vancouver who died 12 years ago, and whose family wanted pay tribute by including her remains on the flight. Hair containing DNA samples that are believed to be from George Washington, Dwight Eisenhower, and John F. Kennedy will also be on the flight.

Celestis’ and Elysium’s services are designed to help friends and family pay tribute to their loved ones. Celestis’ Enterprise Flight will send its memorial payload on a solar orbit 150 to 300 million miles in deep space beyond the orbit of Mars, while a second memorial payload, Tranquility, will journey all the way to the Moon on the Peregrine lander (the Star Trek capsules are part of the Enterprise flight and won’t be landing on the Moon). Elysium Space also wants to place its payload on the Moon with the lunar lander. A complete list of Tranquility flight participants can be found here; among the names are Mareta West, a pioneering geologist who passed away in 1998, and Indica, an emotional support dog.

https://www.celestis.com/launch-schedule/tranquility-flight/#mission-participants

Vine Ok GIF

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Great start... now we wait...

Following launch, Peregrine started a 46-day trajectory towards the Moon, during which it will perform burns to enter orbit around the Moon and slowly approach the lunar surface. Landing is planned for February 23, 2024

It's suffering an anomaly, apparently it didn't turn properly for solar deployment/power up.  Not sure if that means it's done or if as it turns into parking orbit it will face the sun long enough correct this.  

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

goddamm it.  the fucking pinheads in 1960s did it by strapping test pilots to a couple of metal cans, a lighter, gas, and hatred of commies.  

image.png.d2b0af32157d0ca45470da36e004db37.png

it's the fucking future with supermega computers and forcefields and telekinesis and and we can't do shit.  i'm pissed.

It’s time to dust off the old Apollos that took us to the moon few times because this new technology isn’t doing the job.

16 minutes ago, MrBig said:

It’s time to dust off the old Apollos that took us to the moon few times because this new technology isn’t doing the job.

It's a failure of planning and management by the mission planners - it has nothing to do with technology. I posted a video up thread of a credentialed dude speaking to the NASA administration and Artemis mission planners outlining just how far they've strayed from the Apollo playbook in terms of minimizing uncertainty and ensuring redundancy. 

It's an hour long, but a really REALLY good critical analysis of the Artemis mission and overall modern mission planning

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The good news is that the Vulcan rocket system itself performed just fine, and could be another launch away from reaching some kind of certification for launching US payloads (not just private).  It was an problem with the spacecraft/lander part that is the issue.

GDarbeVWwAAIjFX?format=png&name=medium

GDXdLKcXIAAPGFR?format=png&name=900x900

GDbmmvEXAAAczww?format=png&name=medium

13 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Shocking, I know:

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/nasa-delays-artemis-moon-missions-rcna133126

I just have a feeling that this whole program will never quite happen.

this sucks.  i was amped to 

image.png.858953e40f7cf1d643098103b910c409.png

humans circling the moon pushed to next year.  humans on the the moon pushed the the one after that.

guess what.  none of this shit is happening.  i've got zero faith.

greatest + silent generations in a walk.  got shit done.  jfk in 62: "it's moon time, baby." seven years later they did it.  boomer + x =  strongherman era.  this is embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Good callback on the Fletch/torque screw.  Have some rep.  

Boomers of a certain ideology, "These young people are getting worthless humanities degrees and racking up student debt on our dime!" 

Young people, "We have advanced degrees in aerospace, mathematics, and engineering.  Our lunar program needs more funding though."

Boomers, "NASA is wasting our money on worthless moon trips!"  

It's okay to have lots of stupid people in a country of our size.  We just didn't use to celebrate it is alls I'm sayin'...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...