The University has suspended the Texas Cowboys for 6 years

nivek3

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

The guys who haze the most were the biggest panzies/pussies during pledgeship.  

I had the opposite experience but to each their own. 

Generally the pledges that put up with the most shit handed out the most shit in return. 

The "I did it, so you should too" mentality.

And 6 years is stiff. That's a full graduating class plus 2 years. You would think that would wash out any hazing tradition. Then again, doesn't sound like it has worked in the past. 

56 minutes ago, futureman said:

I, like many (most?) of you, have been through lots of hazing whether it was high school football, fraternity pledgeship, college rugby and whatever else.  never once did I ever feel my brown-eye was in danger, and never once did it seem like anyone involved with the hazing would have ever been cool with sticking anything up anyone’s ass.  the fact that it does actually happen is so fucking mind-bottling. 

Same same.  But buttstuff seems entirely too common in hazing incidents.

And really I think the most frightening/intimidating hazing I experienced was as an 11-12 year old boy scout being hazed by more physically mature 15-16--17 year old scouts.  It was the psychology of it rather than the acts of hazing, which were more benign than what I later experienced.

Although I agree that sometimes the biggest victims turn into the biggest hazers, I never could come up with a uniform theory on it.  I guess some folks are just sadistic.

Edited by TwiceHorn

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Generally the pledges that put up with the most shit handed out the most shit in return. 

And 6 years is stiff. That's a full graduating class plus 2 years. You would think that would wash out any hazing tradition. Then again, doesn't sound like it has worked in the past. 

yeah.  I was a fucking terrible pledge.  hated being hazed.  talked back, wouldn’t follow orders, and was generally despised by most of the actives.  got treated terribly.  and then later I think the worst thing I ever said or did to a pledge was ignore him.  maybe.  the thought of paddling some kid or jamming a cattle prod into his gut seemed so fucking stupid to me.  but some of my buddies got off to it, sure. 

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

the thought of paddling some kid or jamming a cattle prod into his gut seemed so fucking stupid to me.

Well it obviously depends on the severity, too. I never had those things done to me or did them to anyone else. It was more psychological/seeing how much a kid could/would put up with; but never violent or gay or weird (past a humorous degree of weirdness). 

13 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Any group that wants me to bite the head off a hamster is a group that can go fuck themselves.

Yeah, almost anything I was "asked" to do while being hazed was either sort of fun or challenging or had a sort of tongue-in-cheek "quien es mas macho" sort of stupidity to it.  That is just gross and sick.

There was a rumor (the accuracy of it is lost to me, but could have been easily confirmed by friends in the organization), that a pledge class was given either a puppy or bunny as a mascot during hell week.  At some point, it was announced to the pledge class that they had achieved sufficient unity that they didn't need to bond over a mascot anymore.  The animal was placed on a table surrounded by the pledges and one of them handed a hatchet with which to kill the animal while his pledge brothers kept it from escaping the table.

Sick shit.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

As a gdi, I have a real hard time why anyone would put up with any level of hazing. Your mileage may vary.

Because it's fun and you only get the chance to do it once. 

Then again, I didn't go to UT and probably would have been a gdi had I. 

51 minutes ago, markstanco said:

You seem dazed and confused. 

I certainly am.  Just like the coyote sitting on the hill and watching the thundering herd of bison following each other over the cliff and wondering, "WTF is wrong with them?!"

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Fucking lulz. Two dead members since 1995. I say disassociate them from the University permanently

If they want to form an off campus club to spank each other and shove objects up  each others buttholes, fine. No reason for them to have any official role in any UT function again. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Because it's fun and you only get the chance to do it once. 
Then again, I didn't go to UT and probably would have been a gdi had I. 

Meh. While at Texas I preferred to hang out with my buddies I grew up with or met while in school/working, playing in shitty rock bands around town and not having to prove my worth or masculinity by doing dumb, degrading shit.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Fucking lulz. Two dead members since 1995. I say disassociate them from the University permanently

If they want to form an off campus club to spank each other and shove objects up  each others buttholes, fine. No reason for them to have any official role in any UT function again. 

Not going to object to that stance.

Just making the point that that's a very significant punishment for a 100 year old org with a lot of prominent alumni. 

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Meh. While at Texas I preferred to hang out with my buddies I grew up with or met while in school/working, playing in shitty rock bands around town and not having to prove my worth or masculinity by doing dumb, degrading shit.

you missed out on a lot of hot sorority pussy served up to you on a silver platter.  

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

you missed out on a lot of hot sorority pussy served up to you on a silver platter.  

Most especially as a Texas Cowboy.  Only slightly less so as a Silver Spur.  It has been probably 35 years, but once I sat behind the Sweetheart wearing wranglers and chaps during a football game (this was a  year or two before Pom existed). Mother of God I remember that vividly.  I even remember her name.

And we came from a high school that was a virtual incubator of hot pussy.

Edited by TwiceHorn

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

8 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

I'd say 2 dead teenagers is very significant

you guys are fucking fragile snowflake pussy-wipe jackwagon fuckboy idiots.  hazing is gay but the cowboys organization didn’t sit these kids down and execute them.   six years is plenty to try and figure out how to do things a little differently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

If you say so. But I did just fine in the pussy department. Before, during and after college. Still have my dignity too. But I am sure you will call me a snowflake or something along those lines.

back off, warchild.  I have no beef with you.  just saying Greek mixers made things a hell of a lot easier.  in the long run it was probably a detriment as it can lead to laziness and entitlement. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I pledged a fraternity for exactly 2 days.  They told me I wasn't allowed to hang out with anyone but pledge brothers.  I said fuck that.  That pledge class ended up getting charged for killing a kid 4 years later 

pussy.  I finished pledgeship and then quit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Most especially as a Texas Cowboy.  Only slightly less so as a Silver Spur.  It has been probably 35 years, but once I sat behind the Sweetheart wearing wranglers and chaps during a football game (this was a  year or two before Pom existed). Mother of God I remember that vividly.  I even remember her name.

And we came from a high school that was a virtual incubator of hot pussy.

go on.....

3 hours ago, futureman said:

you guys are fucking fragile snowflake pussy-wipe jackwagon fuckboy idiots.  hazing is gay but the cowboys organization didn’t sit these kids down and execute them.   six years is plenty to try and figure out how to do things a little differently. 

I thought this Cowboy group already had a chance to figure out how to do things a little differently and they just went back to being /doing the same old thing over again and expecting a different outcome...like the definition of insanity.  This isn't a failure of people being tough enough, by the way.  It's a failure of people being intelligent enough to keep their organization intact.  They weren't.  End of story, your Lee Ermey impersonation notwithstanding.

• Like 2

No logical explanation for it, maybe some people are just bigger assholes than others.  mho is that anybody who thinks hazing is cool has no business being in any sort of social group.  The Cowboys knew better and did it anyway. Left up to me they would be expelled.

7 hours ago, Gambrinus said:

UT discipline report

'...the Texas Cowboys are adept at passing on traditions, but not lessons.'

Could say the same for UT administration for handing down a 6 year suspension.

The Cowboys draw members from an elite pool of young men at UT. They've caused the death of two of them. Their alunmi wont let them change. Permaban.

Yeah they’ve used up their multiple chances. Time to end it I’m afraid. 

And I’m not a Texas Cowboy but I know plenty of them. They won’t ever change. Their alumni view any attempt to change as snowflake lib bullshit and that’s why they are where they are. Its considered the elite of the frat set, even more so than the Silver Spurs who take care of Bevo (why taking care of a cannon is such a big deal I have no idea) and since now at least two young men are dead in the recent past, the organization needs to be eliminated or at a minimum disassociated from the University. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Not a cat said:

This.  Think of the stereotypical small town cop that was always bullied until he got that badge.  It was usually a short dude with napoleon complex or just some guys that were a little unbalanced. 

Letting drunk 19 year olds haze 18 year olds is just a recipe for trouble.   

Hit the nail right on the head here

• Like 1

I wasn’t in a frat, but I had one roommate that was a delt and another that was an SAE. The delt wasn’t that bad, but the SAE was also the drug dealer for his frat. They had some wild hazing stories. I think the craziest one was that the delt pledge class was deprived of food on their retreat, then given two live chickens to kill and eat raw.

Their frat buddies are to this day the most deplorable & unimpressive group I’ve been around, and I grew up knowing some gang members and other trash. They did nothing but drink and smoke weed all day, say some of the most racist shit I’ve ever heard and talk about taking advantage of drunk girls at parties. It was ridiculous how to-the-tee stereotypical most of them were. I still can’t fathom how someone would let one of those guys humiliate and abuse them to any degree to join their ranks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

As a gdi, I have a real hard time understanding why anyone would put up with any level of hazing. Your mileage may vary.

Same here, but my buddy invited me to his frat parties, so I got to drink a lot of there beer for nuthin’. Never had the desire to go through rush anyway.

Said  friend later got blackballed out of that frat for pissing in the president’s acoustic guitar while under the influence.

6 years is not penalizing anyone or anything.  It only embarrasses the university.

The Cowboys and the like are social organizations that exist only to benefit the members.  Don't even try to give the argument of all the charity they may or may not do.  News flash:  you don't need to be part of a bro organization to help the needy or afflicted.

Ban them from the university and let them go dress up as cowboys and play Brokeback Mountain somewhere else.

Fuck, even the a&m shut down the university-affiliated Bonfire after their first tragedy.  (Ok, maybe their first publicly "documented" tragedy, as they've also had multiple fatalities during build years prior to all that).  

Shit, what was I talking about?  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, freyguy said:

6 years is not penalizing anyone or anything.  It only embarrasses the university.

The Cowboys and the like are social organizations that exist only to benefit the members.  Don't even try to give the argument of all the charity they may or may not do.  News flash:  you don't need to be part of a bro organization to help the needy or afflicted.

Ban them from the university and let them go dress up as cowboys and play Brokeback Mountain somewhere else.

Fuck, even the a&m shut down the university-affiliated Bonfire after their first tragedy.  (Ok, maybe their first publicly "documented" tragedy, as they've also had multiple fatalities during build years prior to all that).  

Shit, what was I talking about?  

How is the bonfire tragedy even remotely comparable? Pretty sure if the cowboys killed 12 students and injured another 27 they wouldn't be let back on campus and it wouldn't even be a discussion. 

At least there's some nuance here - whether they deserve to be completely disassociated or not.

The practices, habits & hazing which led to unnecessary deaths are all completely comparable.  The ags were just crawling over tons of timber, which amplified the outcome.

I'm saying a&m did the right thing by saying "you can do what you want, just not here, and not under endorsement of the university."

UT is unfortunately pussyfooting around this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

At least there's some nuance here - whether they deserve to be completely disassociated or not.

There's no nuance, they deserve to be disassociated. They haven't reached 12 deaths yet but they're well on their way, no need to see if they can make it there. They add nothing whatsoever to the university or its reputation, and their biggest claim to fame is their care and handling of an inanimate object. They've had multiple opportunities to change their ways and have failed to do so each time. Permaban. 

15 minutes ago, freyguy said:

The practices, habits & hazing which led to unnecessary deaths are all completely comparable.  The ags were just crawling over tons of timber, which amplified the outcome.

If you're concerned with the outcome, then it is a poor analogy for the reason I already laid out. 

If you're concerned with the practices, habits and hazing, then you should advocate for every fraternity at UT to be kicked off campus. Or at least most of them.