The University has suspended the Texas Cowboys for 6 years

nivek3

16 minutes ago, Druggist said:

Maybe ending their systematic exclusion from certain gameday traditions would increase interest and attendance amongst these folks.  I can’t imagine it is so hard a task that only white guys and a few token others can handle it. fwiw, I am white but never would have been considered for the cowboys or spurs.  I just didn’t run in those circles. A path to get in on this gameday stuff through merit would have been pretty awesome to strive for.

Ok.  While the Cowboys and Spurs are a "cool" sideline presence, they have excluded 99.0% of the University for their entire existence.  And they aren't a large enough presence that anyone sane is going to say "ooooh, I'm not going to a football game, those scary white supremacist frat boys in western attire are there," It's not a valid excuse or reason for not attending football games.  I don't mean subjectively valid, I mean no one in the history of ever cited Cowboys or Spurs as a reason not to attend football games.

The top academic achievers, or the ones that avoid football games, anyway, have little interest in sports generally, and even less interest in spectator sports.  Besides, it's 2-3 hours they could employ studying.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

Maybe ending their systematic exclusion from certain gameday traditions would increase interest and attendance amongst these folks.

I really don't give a fuck who or who doesn't attend the games. Fan interest should be predicated by success on the field. What I care about is the gameday experience and I don't think it should be cheapened just because these kids (title) are a bunch of idiots that can't quit hazing or at the very least can't quit getting in trouble for it. 

Find someone that can do it right and have them do it and DKR and Texas football don't skip a beat. There isn't room or necessity to start rethinking everything that happens on Saturdays because a small group of students that leads (lead?) one tradition can't get their shit together. No one is going to study longer on a Thursday night because they might get the chance to fire ol' smokey on gameday. You're conflating two completely different demographics. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I really don't give a fuck who or who doesn't attend the games. Fan interest should be predicated by success on the field. What I care about is the gameday experience and I don't think it should be cheapened just because these kids (title) are a bunch of idiots that can't quit hazing or at the very least can't quit getting in trouble for it. 

Find someone that can do it right and have them do it and DKR and Texas football don't skip a beat. There isn't room or necessity to start rethinking everything that happens on Saturdays because a small group of students that leads (lead?) one tradition can't get their shit together. No one is going to study longer on a Thursday night because they might get the chance to fire ol' smokey on gameday. You're conflating two completely different demographics. 

Pretty well stated.  Although I went to a lot of home football games for seven years (all of them) when we pretty much sucked ass (three losing seasons).  So interest can be motivated by any number of things other than success on the field:  school spirit, something to do, social occasion.  excuse to get fuckfaced and scream.  All valid.

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty well stated.  Although I went to a lot of home football games for seven years (all of them) when we pretty much sucked ass (three losing seasons).  So interest can be motivated by any number of things other than success on the field:  school spirit, something to do, social occasion.  excuse to get fuckfaced and scream.  All valid.

I mean the diehards are gonna diehard. More talking about general interest. 

Fine, your small minded trolling, reliance on name calling in lieu of wit, and obvious need for acceptance in a group would have made you a much better fit for aggy than I ever would have been.
please post about the cowboys or move on.  Quit thread shitting.
I apologize to everyone for feeding the troll.  I’m out of this thread.

Sir, this is not The Chicken.

2f1b623465cb87526c30d36821b37390.jpgdb9698ffe21bf7def2a738246a62120d.jpgefc3fdc5a09daf3ee0ac912e2e8afbb8.jpg34b9848cbdb2b96b52555cb03357f0fc.jpg21ec6d7a4b17bd0cf0f41c63d81d2b64.jpgd5db47e19a69f811abcd53e0c2569fe9.jpg
  • Like 1

Maybe ending their systematic exclusion from certain gameday traditions would increase interest and attendance amongst these folks.  I can’t imagine it is so hard a task that only white guys and a few token others can handle it. fwiw, I am white but never would have been considered for the cowboys or spurs.  I just didn’t run in those circles. A path to get in on this gameday stuff through merit would have been pretty awesome to strive for.
d0d12987326844d136f8ad2c101467ec.jpg

Jesus shit dicks. If you go to a "merit" system then rich white folks like Jerry Lundegaard's (aka The Shoveler) wife will just game the system and your silly plan will fail.

af990ebc94271e4c294b003f9e9d0a16.jpg

Look! A puppy! With a ball!

c0d3154fff2ab1d70b4395ce6a02ba9c.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 3/31/2019 at 10:59 AM, Druggist said:

Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself. The depth of your debating skill is to use one tactic over and over.  Since you can’t think of anything clever, you just call me an Aggie.  Did you think the 4th time would really zing me?

As for the topic at hand, I think the Spurs satisfy our need for an on field game day organization that effectively excludes at least 99% of the student population from even being considered for inclusion. Let the Cowboys back on campus in 6 years to focus on charitable good deeds and seatbelt awareness.  They can even wear their fancy outfits wherever they want.  Just don’t let them back on the field to embarrass us yet again.

Short of Pom firing the cannon, which would be awesome on TV, how about we give the honor of firing the cannon to an honors organization for exceptional academic achievement?  We could showcase our best and brightest, include representatives from as much of the student body as possible, and a few could have their achievements highlighted on the Jumbotron each week.  

Got news for you buddy, life ain't fair.  Get used to it.  Don't get all redass b/c there's a bunch of white frat dudes on the field.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:43 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, over the course of its history, the term "classical liberal" might well be applied to UT.  But more modern definitions, like "social liberal" or "progressive" are probably only applicable from the 60s on.  And there have always been hardshells like Erwin and Shivers and whatnot occasionally tilting it away from even classically liberal.

UT, and Austin for that matter, are really only liberal when you compare it to the rest of the entire state, and that includes the democratic RGV.

When you compare it to other truly liberal places throughout the US, then UT and Austin are actually kind of conservative, or as I like to think of it, downright normal. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:55 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Free beer?

On 4/1/2019 at 8:51 PM, markstanco said:
On 3/30/2019 at 7:57 AM, Hawndoh said:
These dudes sound like a bunch of douchebags. Like pretty much every other fraternity. 

Sorry to hear you got cut by everybody.

Yeah, he should have spelled his name “Hondo”.

I don't care if the Texas Cowboys disappear forever. In fact, it seems appropriate. 

I don't care who fires the cannon as long as they know what they're doing. I kinda prefer the old, dinky Old Smokey to the artillery piece it was replaced with. If we want fake cowboys, costumes can be had, I'm sure.

I'm not surprised that Surly can gnaw on this bone for days with some people actually getting angry about it.

• Like 1

I don't care if the Texas Cowboys disappear forever. In fact, it seems appropriate. 
I don't care who fires the cannon as long as they know what they're doing. I kinda prefer the old, dinky Old Smokey to the artillery piece it was replaced with. If we want fake cowboys, costumes can be had, I'm sure.
I'm not surprised that Surly can gnaw on this bone for days with some people actually getting angry about it.

If we want fake cowboys?

Want?

You think that the TCs are real cowboys?

Jeeeeezzzuuussss.