Chicken Fried Steak

Limp Brisket

• 3 years later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:51 PM, Limp Brisket said:

Where to get it between Dallas and Houston any route?  No bullshit CFS.

When you get to Dallas, get on I-20 and drive west...past Ft Worth.  Past Weatherford.  Get off in Strawn.

Go to Mary's.  It's not hard to find.  There's only a few places in Strawn.

Order the medium (don't order the large unless you're Joey Chestnut).

You're welcome.

• Drool 1

DeWeese’sTip Top Cafe, where old waitresses go to die.

Damned good CFS back in the day.

Best I’ve ever had was in Hondo right off of hwy 90.  Can’t remember the name of the place to save my life.  Sucker was huge and perfectly prepared.

Edited by Cajun

On 12/9/2021 at 11:04 AM, Cajun said:

DeWeese’sTip Top Cafe, where old waitresses go to die.

Damned good CFS back in the day.

Best I’ve ever had was in Hondo right off of hwy 90.  Can’t remember the name of the place to save my life.  Sucker was huge and perfectly prepared.

Start remembering.  I pass through Hondo all the time.  

On 12/10/2021 at 8:37 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

I’m in Texas for the week. Today was my CFS day - Butcher Boys in Nacogdoches is my favorite I’ve had, I’m pretty positive. Always delivers  

If you are ever in the Houston area, find a Kelley’s Country Cooking.  Their CFS is killer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2021 at 10:37 AM, Ag with kids said:

Tip Top Cafe in SA used to be excellent CFS.  Used to get it all the time as a kid.

But, haven't lived in SA since 1986 and when I DO go in that area, it's to get Jacala tex mex...

Hope it hasn't gone downhill since then.

Sadly it has. Tip Top sold a few years back and the quality has gone way, way down with the new ownership. I still knock it out every now and then for the nostalgia, but it ain't what it used to be. 

• 5 months later...

Suddenly craving a seriously crunchy, tender chicken fried streak with some thick country gravy. Don’t care too much about sides, any place that consistently knocks out great CFS will have good green beans, mashed potatoes and fries. Portioned so large that you save some for a killer CFS sandwich the next day.

The old Heitmiller’s on I35 between west and Bellmead was glorious. Place went to shit when the old Czech owner died and his son took over.

That was 15 years ago. Time to search out a new one.

I’ve tried a handful of places over the years and still have not found it.

What do the esteemed gentleman of Surly have for suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/2/2018 at 10:39 PM, Heisenberg said:

Republic Grille at Woodlsnds Parkway & Gosling in The Woodlands.

This is the absolute truth.  It's the best CFS I've ever had and I have had a lot of them.  Everything at that place is outstanding, but the CFS is delicious.  I don't eat there often enough considering I live about 5 minutes from it.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Dahlia's Cafe in Liberty Hill and Texan Cafe in Hutto are both pretty good.

noted, on Dahlia's.  Thanks.  pass thru there a lot, these days.

Trailblazer in Burnet has a pretty good cfs, also.

1 hour ago, Bill Brasky said:

Mary's in Strawn 

If I’m out that way, certainly.  But I’m not out that way very often.  The in-laws bought a place in Ruidoso, but sold after 2 years.  The CFS at Mary’s was the highlight of our two roadtrips west.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Went to Galveston a few weeks ago, on the way back stepped at Kelley's and had a CFS that was pretty f'n tasty.  

They were/are my cousins and absolutely love that heart attack inducing place.  There were a ton of times the chicken fried steak with eggs and grits were the highlight of my fishing/duck hunting trip on my way back home.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure where else to put this but I need some advice on making chicken fried steak at home. I don’t think it deserves its own thread.

My understanding is that white southern gravy is made with bacon grease and I have some exceptionally clean bacon grease. The recipes that I’ve found online say to use vegetable oil to fry the dry-wet-dry dipped cube steak and then make the gravy with that oil. I was thinking I should make the gravy in a separate pan with the bacon grease, flour, and milk. Is that wrong? Frying the steaks in bacon grease seems like a step too far.

Any advice would be appreciated.