Chicken Fried Steak

Limp Brisket

35 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Fry chicken fried steaks the way McDonald's used to make fries: vegetable oil with plenty of "beef seasoning". Then drain most of the fat out of your pan and make the white gravy from the drippings left in that pan.

What time should I show up?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Good white gravy isn’t white. It should be tan from drippings and a light cooking of the roux. If it’s white, it’s a fake ass gravy that tastes like paste.

I’ve seen that recommended in some recipes. But I’ve seen the opposite in others and in photos on restaurant menus even in the South. There seems to be some dispute about that. I know how to make gravy from pan drippings but I’m having a hard time believing that vegetable oil and residue from breaded cube steak would make a more tasty gravy than just bacon grease, flour, milk, salt, and pepper. I can find a bunch of recipes for southern white gravy made that way to put on biscuits. How could that taste like paste and not be delicious? Also, I’m cooking for one with just two cube steaks. I’m not sure I’d get the fond to make a good gravy.

Am I right in thinking I shouldn’t fry the meat in bacon grease?  I think that would be overpowering.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

The cream gravy on a chicken fried steak should have a yellow tint to it. At least that was the lesson I learned from all the ones I ate at The Stallion. 

I forgot about that yellow gravy at the Stallion.  Did they just add some yellow food coloring?  I often cook the roux a bit longer to get a darker color to my cream gravy but there’s never a yellow tint.  

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I forgot about that yellow gravy at the Stallion.  Did they just add some yellow food coloring?  I often cook the roux a bit longer to get a darker color to my cream gravy but there’s never a yellow tint.  

I have no clue, but Hill's Cafe had yellow gravy, too.

I don’t think you can compare a restaurant gravy to home gravy, there is absolutely no telling what they might be doing, or it could even be a packet. Any used fat, oil or grease and flour will make a good gravy. The “paste” comes from not cooking the flour enough while making the roux, you have to cook the flour down before adding the milk. Roughly equal parts of flour/grease cooked thru, milk and S&P. 

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

It’s either food coloring or a bit of turmeric.  Saffron would do it but it would be too expensive.  

Yeah it was too bright yellow to be just a result of the cooking process, I think it had to be an additive.  Sure was distinctive though.

As a kiddo I'd beg my parents to take us there so we could order the chicken-fried steak with yeller gravy, and dial up songs on the jukebox from your table.

This really belongs in the @Steel Shankthread, but here is some gravy that I made last week from pan drippings. Had leftover mashed potatoes and gravy from fried backstrap pan drippings the night before, the next day fried up a burger patty, patty went on top of the potatoes, then covered in the gravy.

This is the proper gravy for homemade CFS, IMO. It slammed.

And is very easy to do. 

522B5F54-706E-4E31-AD6C-620A10D075B5.jpeg

F89D0D94-B669-4BDF-9533-765B463C8206.jpeg

How the fuck did Brat get into my photos and turn them sideways? FML

Edited by Victor Lazlo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

This really belongs in the @Steel Shankthread, but here is some gravy that I made last week from pan drippings. Had leftover mashed potatoes and gravy from fried backstrap pan drippings the night before, the next day fried up a burger patty, patty went on top of the potatoes, then covered in the gravy.

And is very easy to do. 

I don't mean to criticize homemade gravy, but why do you hate pepper?

For the question on using bacon grease for your chicken fried steak, I made it that way once.  The vegetable oil works better because the bacon grease doesn't get hot enough to make a crispy crust.

• Hook 'Em 3

Mmmm mmmmmm.  CFS at Mary’s.  It’s been way too long.
5C45DC1A-C64B-4015-A4B9-46117BDC952F.jpeg.fa9102ddeb114550542ad55a17e57e86.jpeg
Everything at Mary’s is badass.

Has anyone ever eaten the TexMex at Mary’s? Next time I go I’m getting a plate of enchiladas and tacos for the table as I always get the CFS. I love Texas diner Mexican food when it’s done well. Mary’s seems the perfect place for it.

17 hours ago, elfenix said:

Fry chicken fried steaks the way McDonald's used to make fries: vegetable oil with plenty of "beef seasoning". Then drain most of the fat out of your pan and make the white gravy from the drippings left in that pan.

I thought they used beef tallow. 

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Has anyone ever eaten the TexMex at Mary’s? Next time I go I’m getting a plate of enchiladas and tacos for the table as I always get the CFS. I love Texas diner Mexican food when it’s done well. Mary’s seems the perfect place for it.

I’ve had hamburger steak, calf fries, and cheeseburger there but not TexMex.  I bet it is great.

8 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

And is very easy to do. 

Yes, it does. Also, where's the pepper?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HouTex said:

Usually a mixture of beef tallow and chicken bouillon if there is a yellow tint to gravy.  They use that to replace some of the salt and add a little flavor.

Edited by Trey3216

9 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The great CFS places in South Texas always had yellow gravy.  Thought it was regional.  Sounds like it isn't.

The only ones in Austin I can recall that had it, were The Stallion, and Hill's.  I don't know if Bob Cole kept the yellow gravy when he rebooted Hill's, and now I think even the rebooted version has since closed.  So in Austin at least, I'd say that it is no more.  

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

The only ones in Austin I can recall that had it, were The Stallion, and Hill's.  I don't know if Bob Cole kept the yellow gravy when he rebooted Hill's, and now I think even the rebooted version has since closed.  So in Austin at least, I'd say that it is no more.  

Yeah, Hill’s CFS back in the early 80s was fantastic.  I never cared much for new iteration under Cole, just wasn’t the same imo.  

I like cream and brown gravy so I get CFS half covered with cream gravy and the other half covered with brown gravy.  I also give each bite a light dip in ketchup.  The acidity brings everything together.  

I’m not going to judge, but are you insane???
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

I like cream and brown gravy so I get CFS half covered with cream gravy and the other half covered with brown gravy.  I also give each bite a light dip in ketchup.  The acidity brings everything together.  

lucious lyon wtf GIF

• Like 1

Does your mom cut up your cfs for you, too? 😉

Edited by Steel Shank

I don't know about mixing gravies, but I'll join you on the ketchup thing. It's not supposed to make sense, but it just fucking does. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don't know about mixing gravies, but I'll join you on the ketchup thing. It's not supposed to make sense, but it just fucking does. 

No to brown gravy; that’s “country” fried steak or for smothered steak.

Cream gravy, dotted with Cholula hot sauce and Heinz ketchup. This can’t be a surprise to anyone; every diner brings you both.

I’m not a fan of the mashup variations like queso instead of gravy, or chili and cheese, but marinara and mozzarella like a chicken fried steak Parmesan (Mom made this often) works.

6 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

No to brown gravy; that’s “country” fried steak or for smothered steak.

Had this Mexican joint in Port Lavaca that would do brown gravy on their CFS and I'm here to tell you it was legit. A completely different vibe from your normal CFS, but it worked. Along with their hand-cut fries, of course. 

More people went in there for the CFS and fried chicken than their Mexican stuff.