Chicken Fried Steak

Limp Brisket

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

One variant I had once and have never seen again is the Mexican CFS that was covered in enchilada chili gravy with melted cheese on top. It did not suck.

Sounds tasty, basically a Mexican version of chicken parm.  Would eat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Sounds tasty, basically a Mexican version of chicken parm.  Would eat.

For me that'd be some version of Milanesa de Pollo, covered in ranchero sauce and Monterrey jack cheese. Have had it at a few places. Some serve it on a plate, some bring it out on the sizzling skillet with the onions and peppers. Either way is chef's kiss.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Team cream gravy and ketchup for CFS and brown gravy on the taters or fries.

One variant I had once and have never seen again is the Mexican CFS that was covered in enchilada chili gravy with melted cheese on top. It did not suck.

Looks pretty good, though maybe even better topped with a fried egg:

Chicken fried steak with chile gravy and cheese DSC 3206

https://www.homesicktexan.com/chicken-fried-steak-with-red-chile-gravy/

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

The great CFS places in South Texas always had yellow gravy.  Thought it was regional.  Sounds like it isn't.

Lat, fave south texas cfs ?

me - #1 Dena’s in Alice. Damn that place had great good. #2 el tapatio in kingsville. We ate lunch there often, best breakfast around too. #3 brush country in riveria. Place just had good food. Great biscuits 

Yep. I'd be thinking the enchilada gravy needed some cheese enchiladas and the chicken fried steak needed some cream gravy while I was eating that. Just bring me an order of enchiladas and an order of CFS.

And a Diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Yep. I'd be thinking the enchilada gravy needed some cheese enchiladas and the chicken fried steak needed some cream gravy while I was eating that. Just bring me an order of enchiladas and an order of CFS.

And a Diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper. 

Rock on, muthafuckaaa!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Matt Martinez did this for years. I like the idea of it better than the real thing.

Matt’s CFS with Green Sauce slams and goes very hard (photo circa 2017, hopefully one of you bastards will order this and take a pic since I’m 400+ miles away from south Lamar now, and please tell my favorite waiter Joe hello from his Okie friend):

F457877C-72C1-46D9-8C6E-89C4EFEB79C2.thumb.jpeg.1e71803efd5b822ecbbc7f745e098ad1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Lat, fave south texas cfs ?

me - #1 Dena’s in Alice. Damn that place had great good. #2 el tapatio in kingsville. We ate lunch there often, best breakfast around too. #3 brush country in riveria. Place just had good food. Great biscuits 

There may be some hometown bias here, but Side Door Cafe in Falfurrias has a great one.  They actually have a chicken fried veal cutlet.  Is it really veal?  No idea but it's damn good.

And boy do I miss the saddleblanket at Brush Country Inn in Riviera.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ketchup? Any of you who put ketchup on your CFS have no right to criticize me.

Long story time. Feel free to scroll on by if you’re not interested.

I’ve seen recipes with a darker gravy, like this one from simplyrecipes.com:

4C9A526B-AC03-4A88-91D7-A8117202C949.jpeg.5d609aa645523ba1260df943c5964fe1.jpeg

I’ve also seen a host of recipes with a white cream gravy. Like this one from foodnetwork.com:

74A0D5D7-A33A-4E10-BE11-BAF1764A7E4A.jpeg.d36a061670facdf1197f3a35f25d1628.jpeg

Or this one from Allrecipes.com:

22C8B016-B754-4C64-81E1-5178955FFACD.thumb.jpeg.9464c1a376011905383784821d8115a1.jpeg

Or this one from homesicktexan.com:

992B0243-5649-44C5-AFE1-2539A6640D87.png.54970cae79ec1836e94723fd601196e8.png

I went with a white gravy because I had this very clean bacon grease. I had that because I had more grease than would fit in my bacon grease jar once so I got a layer that had no bacon bits in it. It was pure. After it solidified in the fridge I scraped most of it it off and kept it separate. I figured the best use for it would be to make a white cream gravy. (My bacon of choice is 365 brand applewood smoked unfurled bacon from Whole Foods.)

For a first timer, I don’t think I did too bad.

0B119DE1-7618-4428-B3EB-4D7A86380925.thumb.jpeg.2c69eaedc03f4837f8ec705693294923.jpeg

As you can see, I love fresh ground black pepper. Not shown is a side of corn because I figured it needed a side of corn. I should’ve prepared two plates so I could’ve shown the corn because I could only eat half of that. I had leftovers for lunch yesterday.

The gravy was tasty. (If you think your gravy is pasty, add more liquid.) I only seasoned one side of the “steaks” (cutlets?) because they’re so thin. That worked well but the gravy by itself could use more salt. But they we’re good together. I should’ve cut the steaks in half and worked with four smaller pieces instead of two big ones.

I tried adding a pickle slice to a corner of the steak. Made two bites out of it. If I had a sandwich shop, I would sell a chicken fried steak sandwich, with pickles like on Chick-fil-A, and with cream gravy, because that works. Is that a novel concept or are people already doing that?

Sonic used to have a steak sandwich that was basically a CFS, and you could definitely add gravy.  Served on thick toast, it was perfect.  I'm constantly disappointed that it doesn't exist any longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you're in Oklahoma, go to Del Rancho for the steak sandwich supreme. Much better than the Sonic version ever was.

681344588_SteakSandwichSupreme.jpg.6284c1c288ab2bf50c7a95d85b66dc4c.jpg

Those are fucking fantastic. Oklahoma has some fucking awesome cfs joints. The del rancho Sammich is tits. Like really nice tits.

In Iowa the eat a similar thing with a pork cutlet, often beat to the size of a hubcap. Awesomeness..
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 10:03 AM, utee94 said:

The only ones in Austin I can recall that had it, were The Stallion, and Hill's.  I don't know if Bob Cole kept the yellow gravy when he rebooted Hill's, and now I think even the rebooted version has since closed.  So in Austin at least, I'd say that it is no more.  

If you're talking about the Hill's south of town -- can't remember exactly where -- circa 2005, it had yellow gravy.

Or I'm drunk.  Or was.  Tomato, tomahto.

Cream/ yellow gravy either way is fine.

No brown gravy on this plate, including on the mashed potatoes or fries.  Cream gravy on the steak and the taters.

Gonna hit it with some jalapenos or tabasco/ Tapatio/ Valentinas also...and not just a little bit.  i do the same with biscuits and gravy in the mornings.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No criticism of your dish, looks great, but just cooking the roux longer will bring it away from a white gravy.

Kind of defeats the purpose when you’re trying to make a white cream gravy, don’t you think? Like I said, I was going for a white cream gravy. I think I accomplished that.

I know how roux works. If I’m making etouffee, I’ll cook it until it’s the color of peanut butter. If I’m cooking gumbo, I’ll cook it until it’s the color of chocolate. I said what I was going for and why I was going for it. Yes, it’s basically a tasty béchamel sauce.  ‘Derrr, cook it longer and it will get darker” isn’t really relevant, is it?

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Kind of defeats the purpose when you’re trying to make a white cream gravy, don’t you think? Like I said, I was going for a white cream gravy. I think I accomplished that.

I know how roux works. If I’m making etouffee, I’ll cook it until it’s the color of peanut butter. If I’m cooking gumbo, I’ll cook it until it’s the color of chocolate. I said what I was going for and why I was going for it. Yes, it’s basically a tasty béchamel sauce.  ‘Derrr, cook it longer and it will get darker” isn’t really relevant, is it?

I'm old enough to remember when all of the little old ladies were jealous/critical of each other's food offerings at the church pot luck luncheons.  Now this activity has evolved to occurring on a football message board.  Times change.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm old enough to remember when all of the little old ladies were jealous/critical of each other's food offerings at the church pot luck luncheons.  Now this activity has evolved to occurring on a football message board.  Times change.

WTB is a lonely old man in Ohio who’s only outlet in life is this longhorn message board. Let him be as he argues with Texans about chicken fried steak and gravy. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, what you said was that you went for white gravy because you had "very clean" bacon grease.  I took that to possibly mean you thought the fat colored the gravy.  Sorry I pissed you off -- it's really easy to do.

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Those are fucking fantastic. Oklahoma has some fucking awesome cfs joints. The del rancho Sammich is tits. Like really nice tits.

In Iowa the eat a similar thing with a pork cutlet, often beat to the size of a hubcap. Awesomeness..

Mmmmm.  Del Rancho.

I wish we had one in Tulsa as the closest one is in Tahlequah.

E0B4F9FC-88CB-4C74-951F-83BBCF33DB45.jpeg.c6702a641e2cdc4efde477864c916cbd.jpeg

52AA55E3-BF35-4B13-9EAB-3B75E5224E18.jpeg.934997048f257172cc1a160f18a43cb1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

CHIEF Jr. ordered the large CFS at Mary's the last time we went:

Marys-Large.png

the small is about 12oz., I got the medium which is about 18oz. The large is easily as big as two mediums, if not more. That tiny looking baked potato is easily a pound.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Borachio said:

20220618_171239.thumb.jpg.0a4dce73b80c02674d6e0382a3be9b85.jpg

Longhorn Tavern Steakhouse in Bryan, TX.  Best of the Brazos Valley they say. 

It was damn good.   Had that nice yellowish tint to the cream gravy.  

I appreciate the sides being served in separate dishes- a man can remove them from the plate and get down to business. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 10:48 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Damn, that would have been nice. Competition improves quality. 
The only thing my church ladies argued about was who was bringing the lime jello with cottage cheese salad and who was bringing the orange jello with carrots salad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Marys-Large.png

the small is about 12oz., I got the medium which is about 18oz. The large is easily as big as two mediums, if not more. That tiny looking baked potato is easily a pound.

CHIEF

2576182-D-C23-C-44-F9-9-C96-22-A3-A12567

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Marys-Large.png

CHIEF

This is the way.

Every CFS aficionado should make a pilgrimage to Strawn.  Mount Everest of CFS.

Edited by MalibuSheriff

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Marys-Large.png

CHIEF

Oh yeah, I would have eradicated that in its entirety when I was young.  If I had smoked a bowl, I would have killed the large.  I'm too old for that much now.