Chicken Fried Steak

Limp Brisket

Tried a new CFS yesterday at a place called 35 & Main in Tivoli, and it was a pretty good one. No pictures because I actually didn't get the CFS. Wife and daughter shared an order, son got a half order, so I figured I could try theirs while also seeing what the burgers were like at this place. Would go for the CFS again without a doubt. Their toast is actually really good also. No fried okra, though. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Jacoby’s in Melvin. That’s the boy’s cheeseburger in the back. He said, “Everybody here looks old.” I said that’s good.
9243ab38b37b6bde916b6c6c4503ff78.jpg

That burger has potential coming to the table wrapped like that. Got a pic?

Looks like a perfect plate. Salad with cfs I go for the I-Talian to cut the grease. Usually blue cheese guy myself.

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Tried a new CFS yesterday at a place called 35 & Main in Tivoli, and it was a pretty good one. No pictures because I actually didn't get the CFS. Wife and daughter shared an order, son got a half order, so I figured I could try theirs while also seeing what the burgers were like at this place. Would go for the CFS again without a doubt. Their toast is actually really good also. No fried okra, though. 

John Candy always ordered the big pork chop, and you are no John Candy, sir.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

John Candy always ordered the big pork chop, and you are no John Candy, sir.

Uncle Buck would make you a giant breakfast, and Chet tackled the Ole 96'er, which was definitely a cut of bone-in beef. Not sure which of his characters always ordered the big pork chop, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

That burger has potential coming to the table wrapped like that. Got a pic?

Looks like a perfect plate. Salad with cfs I go for the I-Talian to cut the grease. Usually blue cheese guy myself.

No pics of the burger, but I may be back in Brady soon. I'll make it my mission.

14 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Jacoby’s in Melvin. That’s the boy’s cheeseburger in the back. He said, “Everybody here looks old.” I said that’s good.
9243ab38b37b6bde916b6c6c4503ff78.jpg

I’m kicking myself as I’ve driven by Melvin dozens of times the past ten years, coming and going to New Mexico and friends’ ranches.

Alas, I may plan a road trip next spring to fish O.H. Ivie and plan some dinners at Jacoby’s.

I’m still pissed they put all those windmills on Brady Ridge. MFers.  Love that area of Texas.

12 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

I’m kicking myself as I’ve driven by Melvin dozens of times the past ten years, coming and going to New Mexico and friends’ ranches.

Alas, I may plan a road trip next spring to fish O.H. Ivie and plan some dinners at Jacoby’s.

I’m still pissed they put all those windmills on Brady Ridge. MFers.  Love that area of Texas.

I feel the same way about Twin Oaks bar that was just a bit further west on 87. I'd drive by that place and think to myself that I need to check it out. Alas, it is now closed. I need to quit thinking and start doing.

image.png.0bae2c6c48f72f1a3b7788d218d36da7.png

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Uncle Buck would make you a giant breakfast, and Chet tackled the Ole 96'er, which was definitely a cut of bone-in beef. Not sure which of his characters always ordered the big pork chop, though. 

That's from when he played Hercule Poirot on SCTV. One of his funniest.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

that place is good, pretty sure it's their second try at it

Canales Cafe across the street is very good but I haven't been in years 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Catching up and reading back on this thread has me jonesing for some CFS.  Any new favorites in Austin?  Will probably try Jack Allen's regardless.

It's been 25 years, but Hoover's used to have a decent CFS. It ain't no Mary's, but would do in a pinch.

CHIEF

2 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

It's been 25 years, but Hoover's used to have a decent CFS. It ain't no Mary's, but would do in a pinch.

Closed today, but I'll make a point of it.  Last time I went to Hoover's it was at their north 183 location, which didn't match the original.

I'll get the one at Green Mesquite on occasion. Along with a schooner or two of icy cold Shiner Bock. Sit on the patio and reminisce about WST Bluegrass band. Not a bad way to spend a lunch hour.

Green Mesquite used to have 2-for-1 CFS on Tuesdays. I haven’t had one there in a decade but it was very good.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

There was a place up on North Lamar near Hubcap Annie? that was good, imo.  CFS was fork tender iirc.  Name escapes me but want to say it started with an R, Roy’s ? 

Yeah, something like Roy's Old-Fashioned Food.  I think they closed.

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Catching up and reading back on this thread has me jonesing for some CFS.  Any new favorites in Austin?  Will probably try Jack Allen's regardless.

CFS at Moonshine was tasty the last time I had it.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, something like Roy's Old-Fashioned Food.  I think they closed.

Ross Old Austin Cafe. Permanently closed. I highly recommend Santorini, which is pretty much just next door, if you like Greek food. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Googling South Chicago Packing.  Their website is less than forthcoming.  What does that cost?

Amazon Prime:

South Chicago Packing Wagyu Beef Tallow, 42 Ounces, Paleo-friendly, Keto-friendly, 100% Pure Wagyu

Price: $29.99 ($0.71 / Ounce)

Brand SCP South Chicago Packing
Weight 42 Ounces
Item Form Solid
Package Weight 1.36 Kilograms
Package Type Can

About this item

• One 42 Ounce Can of 100% pure high-end Wagyu beef tallow. Butter like consistency for easy sautéing, searing, and cooking.
  • Paleo and Keto Friendly - Whole30 Approved
  • Contains balancing levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids
  • Naturally contains zero artificial trans fats or partially hydrogenated oils
  • Pasture-raised, sustainably and humanely sourced

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Amazon Prime:

South Chicago Packing Wagyu Beef Tallow, 42 Ounces, Paleo-friendly, Keto-friendly, 100% Pure Wagyu

Price: $29.99 ($0.71 / Ounce)

Brand SCP South Chicago Packing
Weight 42 Ounces
Item Form Solid
Package Weight 1.36 Kilograms
Package Type Can

About this item

• One 42 Ounce Can of 100% pure high-end Wagyu beef tallow. Butter like consistency for easy sautéing, searing, and cooking.
  • Paleo and Keto Friendly - Whole30 Approved
  • Contains balancing levels of Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids
  • Naturally contains zero artificial trans fats or partially hydrogenated oils
  • Pasture-raised, sustainably and humanely sourced

Not terrible.  I have certainly spent more on miscellaneous food things before.

Hands down the best chicken fried steak I eve had was at barkett’s in Seadrift. The dinner portion was a double. If you started with their crab dressing stuffed jalapeños, you were winning and in the path to glory. 

I’m curious how many here ever ate there. Their seafood was great 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Hands down the best chicken fried steak I eve had was at barkett’s in Seadrift. The dinner portion was a double. If you started with their crab dressing stuffed jalapeños, you were winning and in the path to glory. 

I may have. I'm not sure.

I miss the CFS (and many other dishes) from The Avenue Grill on Houston Ave.  near the police station and Knapp Chevrolet.  CFS was served cafeteria style but always fresh.  Sad that it closed.  Someone bought it and tried to turn it into a sit down restaurant.  It never really took off and that was pre-Covid.  Back in the day you’d see a crowd of downtown lawyers, judges, jurors, reporters and police people.  It was known as the HAG.  Wednesday fried chicken and Thursday turkey and dressing stood out as well.  Sucks that I haven’t had a CFS downtown for lunch in over 7 years.  

On 6/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, HouTex said:

I like cream and brown gravy so I get CFS half covered with cream gravy and the other half covered with brown gravy.  I also give each bite a light dip in ketchup.  The acidity brings everything together.  

The proper answer is cream gravy on your CFS and brown gravy on your mashed potatoes (which should always be one of the sides you get with CFS).  You get a bit of mashed potatoes on your fork, then cut a piece of steak and eat the steak and mashed potatoes in the same bite.  

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The proper answer is cream gravy on your CFS and brown gravy on your mashed potatoes (which should always be one of the sides you get with CFS).  You get a bit of mashed potatoes on your fork, then cut a piece of steak and eat the steak and mashed potatoes in the same bite.  

I agree that mashed potatoes are better with brown gravy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

I miss the CFS (and many other dishes) from The Avenue Grill on Houston Ave.  near the police station and Knapp Chevrolet.  CFS was served cafeteria style but always fresh.  Sad that it closed.  Someone bought it and tried to turn it into a sit down restaurant.  It never really took off and that was pre-Covid.  Back in the day you’d see a crowd of downtown lawyers, judges, jurors, reporters and police people.  It was known as the HAG.  Wednesday fried chicken and Thursday turkey and dressing stood out as well.  Sucks that I haven’t had a CFS downtown for lunch in over 7 years.  

That place was great. My father introduced me to it after I spent a night employed by the city a long time ago. 

Edited by Da Fino

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I'm going to be in Long Mott tonight...might look into that.