Hawaii- Big Island

Sbbruin

So just booked a townhouse early/mid June at the Mauna Lani Resort.  So... what are some recommended activities, destinations, restaurants, beaches, etc?  Things we for sure will do are deep sea fishing, horseback riding, volcano day trip.  But looking for other ideas.  Didn't see a thread for it.  If there is, sorry, linky plz.

We went two summers ago.  Spent 10 nights at Waikoloa.  

A local recommended a great book, "The Big Island Revealed".  https://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Big-Island-Revealed-Guidebook/dp/0981461069  (GF is gone now, but if she remembers where the book is, I'll mail it to you). 

He recommended everything marked "must see".  We did that, and it was good advice. 

We put 800 miles on a rental car.  

Hilo's pretty much a shithole.   Rainbow falls  is a muddy dump.

If you have a townhouse, be advised that there's a Costco fairly close to the airport.  We stocked up on food and booze.  Most days, we packed a lunch when we went exploring.  

There's also a cool local grocery store at Waikoloa Village, not too far from you.  Drug store (Long's IIRC) too.   I'm not familiar with where you are staying, but google says it's not far from where we were.  Lava Lava beach club is really nice for afternoon drinks.  I recommend it. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

0df245d6ae809fc2906e0ba2da740656.jpg

Waipi'o Valley.  If you have a jeep you can go down  into the valley.  Or, there are services that will drive you down.  It's a weird place.  Fucking beautiful.  Local live down in the valley and I was told that they break into little warring factions with various feuds going all the time. 

Edited by Gil Bang

53 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

0df245d6ae809fc2906e0ba2da740656.jpg

Waipi'o Valley.  If you have a jeep you can go down  into the valley.  Or, there are services that will drive you down.  It's a weird place.  Fucking beautiful.  Local live down in the valley and I was told that they break into little warring factions with various feuds going all the time. 

Definitely doing a horseback ride in the Waipi'o Valley.  Looks awesome.  Will grab that book.

Merriman's in Waimea is a definite must when you are on the Big Island.  https://www.merrimanshawaii.com/waimea/

The TEX Drive In on Hwy 19 in Honokaa (on your drive in to the Hilo side of the island) is one of the best places to get into a big plate of Loco Moco.  http://www.texdriveinhawaii.com/

Listen to Gil about Costco.  In addition to whiskey, they actually have incredible local fresh fish at that store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

The big island is beautiful. 

Kona was probably nice back in 1952. A little outdated. 

Black Sands Beach was cool. (Punalu’U Beach)

It is indeed beautiful, but holy fuck, parts of that drive from the airport to Waikoloa...I thought I was on the surface of the moon.   Those lava fields are not pretty. 

Love that island. Have been probably ten times. It’s our favorite place. Volcanoes, tons of cool beaches, nice drive up the mountain. Great hikes. Fabulous golf. Love Mauna Lani. Kona is good for a half a day. The fishing has dropped off over the years but still can be decent. Observatory. Black sand beach. Get the book mentioned in here. Don’t bother the locals.

Upthread, I said hilo sucks. 

But, 15  year old Gil nailed a 15 year old Hilo girl on a balcony in Honolulu.  30 secs. of pure bliss. We were both there on school trips, staying at the same hotel. 

5 years later, my college girlfriend's dorm mate was from Hilo HI.  I asked her if she knew "Stacy (last name)"

"Oh...I know her...what a slut". 

Edited by Gil Bang

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

We went two summers ago.  Spent 10 nights at Waikoloa.  

A local recommended a great book, "The Big Island Revealed".  https://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Big-Island-Revealed-Guidebook/dp/0981461069  (GF is gone now, but if she remembers where the book is, I'll mail it to you). 

He recommended everything marked "must see".  We did that, and it was good advice. 

We put 800 miles on a rental car.  

Hilo's pretty much a shithole.   Rainbow falls  is a muddy dump.

If you have a townhouse, be advised that there's a Costco fairly close to the airport.  We stocked up on food and booze.  Most days, we packed a lunch when we went exploring.  

There's also a cool local grocery store at Waikoloa Village, not too far from you.  Drug store (Long's IIRC) too.   I'm not familiar with where you are staying, but google says it's not far from where we were.  Lava Lava beach club is really nice for afternoon drinks.  I recommend it. 

Rec on that book - those authors do one for each of the major islands in Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Big lsland) and they are all excellent. If it is recommended, it is usally excellent.

Big Island - Volcanoes National Park is a must - I'd spend a day down there. If you go to the Hilo side, going via Saddle Road is a unique experience as you cross between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. Believe you can actually drive to the summit of Mauna Kea, but need a 4WD to do so and can't take young kids. 

For a weird experience, go to South Point, which is technically the southernmost point in the US. You can cliff jump there if you are daring, but the area around it is breezy and quite barren looking. Might see some weirdos around too- this is pretty off the grid so to speak. There is a green sand beach you can hike to but i've not been. Cool thing to say you've been to the southernmost point in the US and if you've done the Key West spot, you can claim both the Continental US spot and the US spot.

Second horseback in Waipo Valley. That is a cool experience. 

Edited by PencilPusher
spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK so we leave a week from tomorrow.  Staying in a bitchin 3 bd townhome in Mauna Lani.  Have fishing lined up outta Kawaihae on Wednesday, but that's the only thing we've booked.  Looking for recs on the following:

- horseback riding

- ziplining

- we're doing a day drive to the volcano.  Is there anything in particular up there that we should make sure we see?  I mean other than the volcano?

- can't miss restaurants on the NW shore?

Bought the Big Island Revealed Book and have given it the once over.  Will deep dive this weekend.

Definitely plan on snorkeling during your stay.  I stayed at The Orchid a few years back and IMO, the Big Island has some of the best snorkeling any where due to all the lava and variety of fish.

i don’t know how long you’re there but a short hop over to Molokai puts on on some of the best bonefish flats in the world.  Summer is prime time too due to lack of tradewinds.

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Also, since you have a car, do an afternoon/sunset cocktail and dinner at Lava Lava in Waikoloa.   It's a cool place.

Get the tater tots. 

That's pretty close to where we are staying.

25 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That's pretty close to where we are staying.

Yeah, that's why I suggested it. 

I'm not sure what's immediately around you, but Waikoloa has a decent grocery/liquor store, and a small mall with a Macy's.

Edited by Gil Bang

On 4/3/2019 at 5:34 PM, Chewbacca said:

Not staying at the Four Seasons Hualalai?  I am disappoint.

That hotel is ridiculous.  Stayed there for a week back in 2001.  Nicest hotel I’ve ever stayed in.  

Really never left the property except to sport fish a couple times and rent a sailboat

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

My brother did the ol' "fuck it, i'm moving to the big island" deal about 6 years ago.  sold everything and left and never came back, hellofa midlife crisis for that fella.  he went full native.  with that being said, he has the place figured out.  he snorkels daily and knows where to get the best food.  he lives "up the moutain" from hilo, about as far west and still be considered in hilo.  i'll see if he has some insider info for you.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, mushroomface said:

The green sand beach is pretty wild. One of only four in the world. Bring some cash and hitch a ride from the parking area. You could walk, but it's a pretty good hike.

https://www.lovebigisland.com/big-island-beaches/papakolea/

Second this.

We walked from the parking area - you basically hike along barren oceanfront cow pasture. When you finally get there it's pretty mind blowing.

Edit - Also did a kayak trip along Kealakekua Bay. Huge cliffs, dolphins, did some snorkeling in front of the Captain Cook monument.

Edited by smuggs

Got my brothers response.

-Merrimans for sure

-Huggos and Huggos. Said one is casual and the other is nicer/dinner. touristy but solid. 

-Big island grill in Kona, said the fish is excellent and fresh there.

-Fish n Pig in Waimea.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Been an awesome trip so far. Maybe our best ever.  We’ve done chill beach day, get in the waves day, fly helicopter over the volcano (my first ever helicopter flight), catch ono with my boy, zip line through the forest on the way north Kohala coast, and then dive with the mantas.  The thing I will say about the big Island is if you want activities, this is the island to go to.  PS- I have spent more on this trip than any previous trip by a long shot.  But I went into it as if we’re going to be. And it was.  It I couldn’t recommend the Big Island more.   What a great place.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 3:22 PM, chesthair said:

My brother did the ol' "fuck it, i'm moving to the big island" deal about 6 years ago.  sold everything and left and never came back, hellofa midlife crisis for that fella.  he went full native.  with that being said, he has the place figured out.  he snorkels daily and knows where to get the best food.  he lives "up the moutain" from hilo, about as far west and still be considered in hilo.  i'll see if he has some insider info for you.  

The story goes that Ralph Waldo Emerson asked Thoreau why he would give up all of the trappings of his success to retreat to what was still at the time the American frontier in Waldon Pond. Thoreau responded by saying he wanted to live deliberately.

It was there he wrote his opus in Civil Disobedience. Never underestimate the power of solitude, and critical thought.

• 1 month later...

So now that baseball's over, I can just enjoy the trip. This is a redo of the trip we were going on in March of covid.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:11 AM, HookEm said:

Any recent updates? Heading there in a week. Staying a few days at Mauna Kea resort and then a few days at an air BNB west of Hilo.

How was your trip?

We've got reservations for lunch at Merrimans. Snorkeling trip south of Kona, luau, which we've never done, night time snorkeling with manta rays, and surf lessons. 

Oh, and liquor. Lots and lots of liquor.

We're staying in Waikoloa for 5 nights and then 4 nights at an Air BnB in Kona. Sposed to be above 100 degrees there. :/

Got all the pre requisite covid crap out of the way. Be there tomorrow at about 3:00 pm island time. 

Cheers, bitches.

I think my weather app is on the fritz. 

On 5/23/2021 at 7:11 AM, HookEm said:

Any recent updates? Heading there in a week. Staying a few days at Mauna Kea resort and then a few days at an air BNB west of Hilo.

How was your trip, dude?

On 6/26/2021 at 9:50 PM, jw4381 said:

So now that baseball's over, I can just enjoy the trip. This is a redo of the trip we were going on in March of covid.

How was your trip?

We've got reservations for lunch at Merrimans. Snorkeling trip south of Kona, luau, which we've never done, night time snorkeling with manta rays, and surf lessons. 

Oh, and liquor. Lots and lots of liquor.

We're staying in Waikoloa for 5 nights and then 4 nights at an Air BnB in Kona. Sposed to be above 100 degrees there. :/

Got all the pre requisite covid crap out of the way. Be there tomorrow at about 3:00 pm island time. 

Cheers, bitches.

If you have a chance, the Hilton Waikoloa Village has a Dolphin Quest that was one of the most enjoyable experiences the wife and I had while on Kona.

https://dolphinquest.com/big-island-hawaii/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:38 AM, jw4381 said:

We leave Sunday. Can’t wait. 

We had a great time a few years back. Do you know how much of Volcano NP is open? Is the Iki Trail open? That's a cool hike from rim of crater down to the floor of the crater and walk across passing fumeroles to the other side. 

If you can stay a couple of days on the Hilo side, you will have access to the best waterfalls,  rain forests,  a secluded lava tube. I don't know if you can access Mauna Kea summit with your rental but if can I would recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 1