Hawaii- Big Island

Sbbruin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Headed to the Big Island again in two months. Looking for anyone that’s done deep sea fishing there recently. It had fallen off the last several years but wanted to see what experiences people have had lately. 

• 1 year later...

I’ve only been once since living out here mainly to see Mauna Loa erupt but would highly recommend Two Step for snorkeling. I’ve snorkeled all of Maui and something about the lava rock and decreased tourist traffic makes the clarity/reef on BI better. Looking to get back for a week or so as I was only there 2 days. 

• 3 months later...

Guidebook (Big Island Revealed) strongly recommends renting a 4WD on the Big Island.  We haven't yet nailed down the exact attractions we want to visit (aside from Volcanoes NP and a helicopter tour), so I'm not sure at this point whether 4WD is really necessary.  Was wondering whether those who have visited the Big Island found 4WD to be necessary and/or helpful.

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Guidebook (Big Island Revealed) strongly recommends renting a 4WD on the Big Island.  We haven't yet nailed down the exact attractions we want to visit (aside from Volcanoes NP and a helicopter tour), so I'm not sure at this point whether 4WD is really necessary.  Was wondering whether those who have visited the Big Island found 4WD to be necessary and/or helpful.

I rented a convertible mustang.   It was perfect for us, except when we hit costco with our luggage still in the car.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I got a four wheel drive and found is useful for the drive in and out of Waipio Valley. According to the googles, the road that accesses the valley is now closed except to locals. 

I recommend doing Mauna Kea at sunset at the mauna kea visitors center. When I was there in 2010, they would set up telescopes and volunteers would point out the stars with a laser pointer every night. Anyone could drive up and attend. It was a highlight of the trip. It appears that this is only done once a month and reservations are required. Bummer.

https://www.lovebigisland.com/stargazing/

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I wouldn't think 4WD is needed unless you are really gonna get off of the beaten path.  Saddle Road from the Hilo side across to the Kona side (State Route 200) has been much upgraded.  Some rental agencies wouldn't let you drive on that road in the past. 

We also drove a regular rental car up to the top Mauna Kea -- gravel road, but in good shape.  Have fun!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I wouldn't think 4WD is needed unless you are really gonna get off of the beaten path.  Saddle Road from the Hilo side across to the Kona side (State Route 200) has been much upgraded.  Some rental agencies wouldn't let you drive on that road in the past. 

We also drove a regular rental car up to the top Mauna Kea -- gravel road, but in good shape.  Have fun!

Thanks.  In looking at some websites (including the one GenXer linked), it appears now that only 4WD vehicles are allowed on the portion of the road above the visitors center.  If true, that might be enough to get me to spring the extra $$ for a Jeep.    

14 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Thanks.  In looking at some websites (including the one GenXer linked), it appears now that only 4WD vehicles are allowed on the portion of the road above the visitors center.  If true, that might be enough to get me to spring the extra $$ for a Jeep.    

Cool.  I misspoke.  We didn't go past the visitors center.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's a pro move to hit Costco on the way out of the Kona airport!

Yeah, we had a condo for a week in Waikoloa, so we stocked up on beer, wine, snacks, sandwich stuff, etc. 

We drove all over the island, and we packed a picnic lunch on several mornings. It was great.  

The Costco stores in Hawaii also have great local fish -- some fresh, some frozen.  We've done the condo route on Big Island, Maui, and Kuai and have always hit the local Costco on arrival for most all of our provisions like that (read: wine) and then do the local farmer's markets daily for fresh produce -- we enjoy cooking, especially on vacation!

I am on Big Island as we speak!  Always great, but my favorite secret beaches have  been discovered.  Be wary flying Alaska due to Boeing issues.  Was supposed to fly out tomorrow.  Now it’s Wednesday.  Thankfully have family to stay with the extra days.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

No, it’s not.  Green Sand beach at south point is about the only thing you would need it for, but probably violates rental agreement.  I parked and walked.  My friends caught a ride for free from locals.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Taking the fam at the end of May for 6 nights. Is it best to set up home base on the West side Kona area for the week? Or do you guys recommend staying a couple of nights on the East side near Volcanos National Park/Hilo? 

I recommend most stays for trip around Waikoloa Beach area north of Kona with maybe one night near Volcano.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Neonmoon said:

I will be going to Hilo this year to visit in-laws. Ughhhhhh

I am not being sarcastic. It will suck 

My favorite restaurant on island is “Pineapples,” in downtown Hilo.  “Cafe 100” is a great place for a lunch plate.  Hilo Brewing is there and Kona’s Ola Brew has a satellite location there.   Be sure to see Akaka Falls north of town and the falls right in town to just up hill to the west from downtown.  The botanical garden north of town is great too.  Banyan Drive is worth a visit.  Also head down to Puna to see the recent lava flows and new beaches.  And of course the National Park.   

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Sundodger said:

My favorite restaurant on island is “Pineapples,” in downtown Hilo.  “Cafe 100” is a great place for a lunch plate.  Hilo Brewing is there and Kona’s Ola Brew has a satellite location there.   Be sure to see Akaka Falls north of town and the falls right in town to just up hill to the west from downtown.  The botanical garden north of town is great too.  Banyan Drive is worth a visit.  Also head down to Puna to see the recent lava flows and new beaches.  And of course the National Park.   

I could do all this stuff and it will not take 5% of the suckage off the trip. (But thanks for recs)

Each trip our there just keeps getting worse 

20 hours ago, Sundodger said:

Be sure to see Akaka Falls north of town and the falls right in town to just up hill to the west from downtown.  The botanical garden north of town is great too.  Banyan Drive is worth a visit.  Also head down to Puna to see the recent lava flows and new beaches.  And of course the National Park.   

If I was to add Waipi'o Valley to your list and drop the National Park (we're going to devote a full day just to seeing the Park), would it all be do-able in one day?  (We'd be based out of Hilo in this particular instance.)

Edited by Carl Spackler

20 hours ago, Sundodger said:

I recommend most stays for trip around Waikoloa Beach area north of Kona with maybe one night near Volcano.

A night in Volcano makes sense. If you dont - you have to cut a lot of time in the Park if you try to make it a day trip from Kona.

lots of good BnB options in Volcano (in the jungle).. no hotels really to speak of though (at least 10 years ago, that is)

Edited by yoladu

oh, we didnt stay in Hilo, just kind of did a drive by (helicopter was out of Hilo), but I thought it looked pretty interesting -  a totally different Hawaiian vibe than what you get on the Kona side.

More locals, interesting architecture, different landscape altogether, no long sandy beaches, and wet.

did i say wet? really wet.

Edited by yoladu

2 hours ago, yoladu said:

oh, we didnt stay in Hilo, just kind of did a drive by (helicopter was out of Hilo), but I thought it looked pretty interesting -  a totally different Hawaiian vibe than what you get on the Kona side.

More locals, interesting architecture, different landscape altogether, no long sandy beaches, and wet.

did i say wet? really wet.

I found it to be a bit of a shithole.   

Rainbow falls is OK I guess.

7 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

If I was to add Waipi'o Valley to your list and drop the National Park (we're going to devote a full day just to seeing the Park), would it all be do-able in one day?  (We'd be based out of Hilo in this particular instance.)

Yes, it’s possible but you could easily skip Puna if need be.  I’ve only been to the rim at Waipi’o Valley, so don’t know much of the time investment involved venturing down.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I found it to be a bit of a shithole.   

Rainbow falls is OK I guess.

Hilo is a bit gritty, but I think in a good way.  Not so shiny and touristy, and decidedly more Asian than the Kona side of the island.

My wife drug me kicking and screaming to the botanical garden.  I ended up really enjoying it.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:10 PM, Gil Bang said:

Also, since you have a car, do an afternoon/sunset cocktail and dinner at Lava Lava in Waikoloa.   It's a cool place.

Get the tater tots. 

R.I.P. in peace.

‘Out Standing Ahi’ FTW, but pricey.  

On 1/23/2024 at 8:01 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

Hilo is a bit gritty, but I think in a good way.  Not so shiny and touristy, and decidedly more Asian than the Kona side of the island.

My wife drug me kicking and screaming to the botanical garden.  I ended up really enjoying it.

I really liked the farmers market in Hilo with fresh fruit and avocados that are the size of butternut squash.

When doing Volcano NP google friends of the park. They do guided tours. It was well worth it for the wife and I. They are volunteers and the money goes to the park so bring cash to tip the guide. I recommend a hiking stick too. First thing our guide did was look at our footwear for what hike was appropriate.

• Hook 'Em 1