2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

C-Man

On 4/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, C-Man said:

Read today that it's the largest gap between the overall points leader and #2 since 1977's Montreal Canadiens.

EDIT: Looks like that note is wrong. 77 MTL had a 20-point lead over #2; 19 TBY had a 21-point lead over #2

That was an incredible run by Montreal.

In 78-79, the final year of the run they finished 52-17-11, 115 points. The Islanders, in a preview of what was to come, finished with 116 points. Kenny Dryden was 30-10-7. I'm not sure how the Rangers beat the Islanders in the semis that year.

The 77-78 season they finished 59-10-11, for 129 points. The closest was Boston with 113 points. Dryden was 37-7-7.

The 76-77 season was insane for Montreal, 60-8-12, 132 points. Closest was Philly with 112. Dryden was 41-6-8.

75-76 they finished 58-11-11, 127 points. Philly was closest with 118. Dryden was 42-10-8. 

Tampa finished 62-16-4, 128 points this season.

It's interesting to think about what those teams would have done with the different OT rules.

My first hockey game in person was Washington-vs-Montreal at the old Capital Center in 1976. Ken Dryden was in goal.  Don’t recall the exact score, but I remember  the Canadiens seemed to score at will .. not an oddity for them. But, it was for the NHL in those days because just about anything short of murder by defensemen was OK.

What a great game hockey is ...  🏒 

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

My first hockey game in person was Washington-vs-Montreal at the old Capital Center in 1976. Ken Dryden was in goal.  Don’t recall the exact score, but I remember  the Canadiens seemed to score at will .. not an oddity for them. But, it was for the NHL in those days because just about anything short of murder by defensemen was OK.

What a great game hockey is ...  🏒 

One of my favorite hockey memories is from a game when I was in high school. My favorite team, other than the Penguins - who repeatedly broke our hearts - was Montreal.

I loved Guy Lafleur. He was by far my favorite player. This game was late in his career and the game was the night before Thanksgiving in The Igloo, and smoking was still allowed. The ads before the game called for fans to come talk turkey to the Canadiens.

Michel Dion was in goal for the Pens, and I think the final score was 2-1, Pens. I vividly remember late in the game as Lafleur was waiting for a face off and he had his stick resting on his thighs, no helmet on because he was grandfathered in and allowed to play without one.

I remember thinking that I wished I had a great camera because from our seats in the balcony that would have been an amazing picture through the haze/smoke.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:38 AM, CrownKing said:

That Avs-Flames game last night was fantastic. Team speed for Colorado was unreal.  I hope it goes 7 games just to watch more games like last nights. 

Nope.  I was going to buy my daughter Game 6 tickets, so the Flames saved me some money by not showing up tonight.  

McKinnon is a bad motherfucker.