Roseanne

TahoeHorn

https://nypost.com/2018/03/28/roseanne-revival-is-a-wake-up-call-for-hollywood/

Tuesday night, the premiere episode of the revival of “Roseanne” featured a working-class grandmother saying grace before dinner and concluding with thanks for “making America great again” — and the show got the highest ratings of any network program in six years.

Hollywood is now faced with indisputable evidence that there’s a huge potential audience out there for programs that don’t actively insult 63 million Trump voters.

Is this significant?  Culturally?  Politically?

Did Roseanne draw 18MM because her comedy is good or for some other reason?

FoxNews proved that there is a "niche market of half the population".  I think Roseanne has targeted that same "niche market".

What an untimely question. How many people were even aware before the episode aired that there was going to be pro-trump content?

Obviously, this becomes a worthwhile exercise if the ratings continue to exceed comparable programming.

ETA: Maybe the worst thing about the question in the OP is the transparent attempt to disguise a simple opinion post as some Socratic method impetus.

Trump voters are racing to watch a show where a white, working class family is barely getting by in a trump world, one grandson is trans and the grand daughter is black?   The grown daughter is carrying the baby of a rich, liberal couple to make ends meet.  But the trump voters  think this show was made for them?   Hate to break it to them but this is Hollywood walking them down the line to vote for Sen. Warren in 2020.  One step at a time.  Rubes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump voters are racing to watch a show where a white, working class family is barely getting by in a trump world, one grandson is trans and the grand daughter is black?   The grown daughter is carrying the baby of a rich, liberal couple to make ends meet.  But the trump voters  think this show was made for them?   Hate to break it to them but this is Hollywood walking them down the line to vote for Sen. Warren in 2020.  One step at a time.  Rubes.

that’s part of the troll. lure the libtards in, say the magic words and drink the ensuing tears. 4d chess. 

7 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

FoxNews proved that there is a "niche market of half the population".  I think Roseanne has targeted that same "niche market".

Or you could not turn it into a political debate and say that it had a huge draw because it was super popular in the 90s and people came back to watch it because it featured original cast years down be road. Or the fact that it’s just actually a good show that is realistic for many medium to low income families. 

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Roseanne is actually a loon and a Trumptard in real life, though.  I doubt that 95% of viewers knew that going in or watched as any type of political statement.

Edited by Tom

7 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

22 million watched Stormy Daniels on 60 Minutes.

Let me know what the Roseanne's ratings are by the end of the season.

I thought the show was terrible before and I think it is likely terrible now (did not watch).

And of course little to no one knew about any political leanings the show might have before the first episode.  Dumb for so much political connection.  Dumb for trump to comment on it.

My guess is that the next episode will have even bigger ratings because of the hype and then it will slowly decline and we wont be talking about it in a few weeks.

Also, this is another example (like the 1000s before it) of the media using ANYTHING trump related to get ratings.  Who relly cares about roseanne?

Is all of the other content on TV "actively insulting 63 million Trump voters"?  

They consider anything that doesn’t kiss their deal leaders ass as an “active insult” from the librul cabal. But everyone else is a snowflake, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Why not because it was a decent show and a lot of people just wanted to tune in to see it again? Why does everything have to be a political statement? 

Phew, I thought I was the only one. The day I sit down to watch a TV show and cheer for the red or blue team, is the day I put the barrel in my mouth. Cheers to you my friend.

5 hours ago, scottsins said:

ETA: Maybe the worst thing about the question in the OP is the transparent attempt to disguise a simple opinion post as some Socratic method impetus.

This applies to practically all of his threads.

• Like 1

Roseanne had it's funny moments back in the 90s,  but it was excruciatingly preachy back then. From the 20 minutes I saw the other night, that preachyness is still there, but the laughs were few and far between.

I might give it one more episode, but if I am not laughing, I will move on.

As others have said,  the rating success for the first night was one largely based on nostalgia.

8 hours ago, scottsins said:

There's no Socratic method.  I try to do three things in an OP:

1.  Present a story or facts, typically a link to a news article

2. Pose what I think is the issue

3. Give my take on the issue.

Others are obviously free to decide the issue is something different.  I think the story is interesting because there is a possibility it is culturally or politically significant.  I'm asking for opinions n that.  If I don't pose the questions people don't know my objective in posting.  Hell, even when I do post the questions people think my objective is something different than the one I clearly state.

2 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

There's no Socratic method.  I try to do three things in an OP:

1.  Present a story or facts, typically a link to a news article

2. Pose what I think is the issue

3. Give my take on the issue.

You left one out:

1. Ask questions designed to, once answered, provide an opening for my prepared rant.

Go through your first posts in threads you start. It's like clockwork.

John Goodman cracks me up.

Sarah Chalke is smoke.

main-image_400x400.jpg

I still didn't watch the show.  Doubt I will.  I don't watch a lot of network TV.

I doubt the ratings had much of anything to do with politics, being that the politics of the characters was not part of the promotional effort at all.

But I'm confident that a lot of folks of middling intelligence and light work demands watch the bulk of network TV, so odds are good that a lot of Trump fans watched it and will watch it.  Whatever.

Sarah Chalke.

Edited by Brisketexan

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You left one out:

1. Ask questions designed to, once answered, provide an opening for my prepared rant.

Go through your first posts in threads you start. It's like clockwork.

I post the executive summary of my position in the OP.  I elaborate later.  It's good presentation technique.

You're playing some silly Internet game.  I'm trying to give my idea and get yours.  If you weren't playing some silly game you would prefer that my OP laid out the issue and gave an executive summary.  It's what you need to have your own take.

Network TV does almost nothing but cater to Midwestern Rubes.  The 50 or so iterations of CSI/Law and Order/Police Cops are tidy hour long procedurals where knight in shining armor law enforcement officials get their man by the end of the show and there is no moral ambiguity to be found.  

The way you can judge a TV show's success is like a movie.  If the ratings hold in week 3, then it really is a hit.

People tuned in due to curiosity and marketing by ABC.  I personally think she's fucking nuts but I actually liked the nostalgia it bought back from watching the show. 

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

John Goodman cracks me up.

Sarah Chalke is smoke.

main-image_400x400.jpg

I still didn't watch the show.  Doubt I will.  I don't watch a lot of network TV.

I doubt the ratings had much of anything to do with politics, being that the politics of the characters was not part of the promotional effort at all.

But I'm confident that a lot of folks of middling intelligence and light work demands watch the bulk of network TV, so odds are good that a lot of Trump fans watched it and will watch it.  Whatever.

Sarah Chalke.

Holy fuck...Eliott is on that show?  Motherfuck, I'm gonna have to watch now.  Scrubs-era Chalke gave me a woodie every fucking time.

• Like 1

The show is trying to do too much at one time. It was a mess. I really felt bad because they have some children characters that barely spoke and just sat in scenes. It became awkward because they had very few lines. I would think that if the kids got casted on the show then they are likely good actors. Maybe they will develop the new characters if the show survives.

In all seriousness, I thought about making a post on the old Shaggy about the white working class becoming culturally ostracized in America, and some of that frustration being manifested in voting for the Dotard. My data points were going to be movies and TV and how there seem to be less out now that caters to this audience than there was 20 - 30 years ago. Roseanne was a show that I would have specifically mentioned. This was 6 months ago before we knew of the remake. I would have been freaking Nostradamus. Now, none of you will believe me.

With that said, I doubt the show's good ratings have anything to do with politics. Maybe Hollywood finally is paying attention to an audience it has been ignoring, but even that sounds like a stretch.

We'll see how the ratings are for episodes 2 and 3. More likely, it's interest that's purely nostalgia driven. Then again, nostalgia drove some people to the polls in November of  '16.

1 hour ago, berlinerbaer said:

In all seriousness, I thought about making a post on the old Shaggy about the white working class becoming culturally ostracized in America, and some of that frustration being manifested in voting for the Dotard. My data points were going to be movies and TV and how there seem to be less out now that caters to this audience than there was 20 - 30 years ago. Roseanne was a show that I would have specifically mentioned. This was 6 months ago before we knew of the remake. I would have been freaking Nostradamus. Now, none of you will believe me.

With that said, I doubt the show's good ratings have anything to do with politics. Maybe Hollywood finally is paying attention to an audience it has been ignoring, but even that sounds like a stretch.

We'll see how the ratings are for episodes 2 and 3. More likely, it's interest that's purely nostalgia driven. Then again, nostalgia drove some people to the polls in November of  '16.

Good call I bet the cast has people bringing them free, tasty donuts, and asking lots of questions.