Roseanne

TahoeHorn

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Those are some nice mental gymnastics you did there. I am conservative and I am disgusted by just about everything that fat bitch has done. 

Donald Trump said the show was about you.

BTW, I am disgusted by everything THAT fat bitch has ever done. And by "fat bitch", I mean Donald Trump.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

She will be a co-host on Fox News. They'll bring her and Scott Baio on to discuss why we need a wall and why celebrities should stay out of politics, without a sense of irony. 

Don’t rule out MSNBC. Hell, they gave a known antisemite his very own show. 

2 hours ago, JohnRedHorn said:

Trump is just the most viscerally repugnant face of the decades long policy of the republican party to gain power by making thr shittiest of white people believe they are superior to even the best of non whites simply because of their white skin. The republicans sold their soul for cheap pandering to both the top wealthy elite whites (we will always do your bidding) and the poorest of garbage whites (we will constantly tell you how superior you are to everyone who is not white) at the same time. 

Sounds like Democrats are good and noble and republicans are bad and evil.  

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

interesting ABC is showing "The Middle" during the Roseanne slot tonight. That was a great show that never got the attention it was due, in that it showed the economic reality of the American middle class as it actually is, even moreso than Roseanne did. 

Speechless is the best comedy on ABC and it is far better of a portrait of this demo.  

11 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Make a sitcom called The Goodmans and hire everybody fired from the Roseanne show but Roseanne. Any story line whatsoever will work.

ABC should have said Roseanne is fired from her own show and next season will go on with her character getting killed off screen before the first episode.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Assholehorn said:

ABC should have said Roseanne is fired from her own show and next season will go on with her character getting killed off screen before the first episode.

She had to go under anesthesia for knee surgery so it would have been an easy kill off. They maybe oughta consider this when things cool off.

What a time to be alive. The flashpoints in the culture war are perplexing. What's interesting to me about the texags thread are the number of posters who see anti-Trump sentiment in the media as the other side of the same coin of a racist joke. I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Fox perfected the false equivalency gambit, the design of which is to literally excuse everything the right ever does without taking any responsibility or corrective action. It's a staple of propaganda, and a nefarious one, because it assigns blame to the opposing side quite leisurely, while unforgivingly indulging in hypocrisy. It also destroys proportion and context, which creates boogyman out of the innocent.

It's how you can equate two emails to wholesale gangsterism.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The hell of it is, that university COULD BE (and at times, WAS) a great boon to poor minority kids.  Like my dad, and a bunch of other mexican-american kids from a shitty border town.  They didn't think about going to college, or think they could go to college.  But back in the 50s, they had ONE teacher who had left that town, and gone to A&M.  And he would take those kids on the bus to visit A&M, and meet with admissions folks, and realize they could go to college, too.  Dozens of mexican-american kids from that shitty town went to A&M, got a degree, and built good lives for themselves and their families.

And even today, hispanics seem relatively welcome at A&M (or at least not specifically railed against, at least openly).  But man....I can't imagine going there as a black person.

I know a couple of black Aggies and they are fiercely loyal. On the other hand, I know a black SJ grad who said he had a miserable time in Austin in the '80s because interracial dating was taboo and the athletes took all the black women. 

ABC canned new series. Original pulled from cable and Netflix. Agency publicly shamed/fired her.

How is it that I can still watch Seinfeld re-runs on 3 channels 24/7 after Michael Richards' 2006 racist meltdown?

7 minutes ago, woohorn said:

ABC canned new series. Original pulled from cable and Netflix. Agency publicly shamed/fired her.

How is it that I can still watch Seinfeld re-runs on 3 channels 24/7 after Michael Richards' 2006 racist meltdown?

He wasn't the creator / principal character but you sort of have a point. 

9 minutes ago, woohorn said:

it ruined his career.  He hasn't had a job since Seinfeld. 

11 minutes ago, woohorn said:

This is a bit, right?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, woohorn said:

So - both sides?

• Like 2

I just don't get the pulling of re-runs, but nbd. It was plenty edgy in its day, but still ran. Her actions don't seem like she is any worse than Richards, Cosby, etc, but I don't watch Rosanne, so fine. Carry on.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

it ruined his career.  He hasn't had a job since Seinfeld. 

He was in the Seinfeld reunion season of Curb. They had a good gag based on it. He did an episode of Comedians/Cars/Coffee. I haven't looked into whatever other work he's done. I would bet he can still find work but I don't know. 

The notion that anyone should stop running Seinfeld reruns because that one time Michael Richards got mad at hecklers and used the N word is pretty silly. It must have been for a laugh. 

Dropping the show makes sense, but the pulling of reruns seems strange to me. The Cosby situation seems different since all of those episodes just seem creepy now. Roseanne's trade is offense.

Michael Richards hadn't done much for years before the incident. I wouldn't say it killed his career. He's worked about as much since the tirade as he did post Seinfeld. He did mostly stop standup after it.

In terms of racism, Kramer's was much more extreme, but it did bring us this classic bit of uncomfortable television.

9 minutes ago, woohorn said:

I just don't get the pulling of re-runs, but nbd. It was plenty edgy in its day, but still ran. Her actions don't seem like she is any worse than Richards, Cosby, etc, but I don't watch Rosanne, so fine. Carry on.

What even is your point? Cosby is a serial rapist and all reruns have been pulled from everything except Amazon, bizarrely. Richards' career was ruined, Seinfeld still runs because he wasn't the creator/it's not his namesake. Do you think Jerry Seinfeld deserves to have his show pulled because his co-star turned out to be an idiot many years after the fact? If you can't understand this reaction due to the show being her namesake, then I don't know what to say to you. Have some perspective.

While very minor, I think in hindsight we'll look back at the pulling of her old show — to the extent that we'll look back on this — as a negative reflection of our politics. It's a strange response.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

that CCC episode was depressing, and it was obvious that he's in a bad spot, of his own making of course. 

The part where Richards was wearing a wig and they encounter the delivery guy with the same hair was hysterical. I didn't get "depressing" from that episode. I thought they were pretty straightforward addressing the issue. That and they were probably both efforts to help him rehabilitate his image. But let's face it, he was never an A-list comedian or actor before Seinfeld and he wasn't afterward either. 

The black community didn't seem to get all that worked up about it. It's not like he had any kind of history, unlike Roseanne (which I didn't know about until today). The two are light years apart on many levels. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

What even is your point? Cosby is a serial rapist and all reruns have been pulled from everything except Amazon, bizarrely. Richards' career was ruined, Seinfeld still runs because he wasn't the creator/it's not his namesake. Do you think Jerry Seinfeld deserves to have his show pulled because his co-star turned out to be an idiot many years after the fact? If you can't understand this reaction due to the show being her namesake, then I don't know what to say to you. Have some perspective.

Exactly. Otherwise they would have just fired her, like they did with Charlie Sheen and Jeffrey Tambor.