Prove Me Wrong: American Airlines is the worst domestic airline

Rougarou

Currently sitting in Miami en route to Austin and about to move gates for the 8th time in the last five hours because of delays and adjustments, thanks AA.

Playing devil’s advocate, it sounds like travel this weekend was a shit show everywhere.

Currently sitting in Miami en route to Austin and about to move gates for the 8th time in the last five hours because of delays and adjustments, thanks AA.
Playing devil’s advocate, it sounds like travel this weekend was a shit show everywhere.

Sounds like 4th of July could be a fun time for all travelers

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck AA..... I haven't booked a flight with them in over a year that hasn't been "updated" at least once since booking (most changed 3-4 times between booking and flight).

Today got word they changed an August flight I booked in Feb for wife and I to attend nieces wedding.  The moved the departure flight from 6:40pm to 4:20pm... so no longer can leave that day as wife can't get of work that early so have to leave the next day.  Change added 60% to the ticket costs...and  F U AA for posting all over your pages how generous you were being and implying how grateful I should be for you NOT adding on change fees on top of it since it was your doing.... bastards.

23 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Fuck AA..... I haven't booked a flight with them in over a year that hasn't been "updated" at least once since booking (most changed 3-4 times between booking and flight).

Today got word they changed an August flight I booked in Feb for wife and I to attend nieces wedding.  The moved the departure flight from 6:40pm to 4:20pm... so no longer can leave that day as wife can't get of work that early so have to leave the next day.  Change added 60% to the ticket costs...and  F U AA for posting all over your pages how generous you were being and implying how grateful I should be for you NOT adding on change fees on top of it since it was your doing.... bastards.

Wait, so AA moved the departure time earlier on the scheduled departure date forcing you to rebook the next day, and rebooking the next day added 60% to the cost of the ticket? I've never been in that scenario, but that seems fucked up. Not sure it would do any good, but I can see myself bitching at a few people in the customer service chain of command. 

36 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Wait, so AA moved the departure time earlier on the scheduled departure date forcing you to rebook the next day, and rebooking the next day added 60% to the cost of the ticket? I've never been in that scenario, but that seems fucked up. Not sure it would do any good, but I can see myself bitching at a few people in the customer service chain of command. 

yep... orig tickets (x2) ~$520 each, with change now ~$850 each their response was they didn't change it more than 4 hours so not entitled to refund either per their policy. It's going into a smaller regional airport so they know the choice is limited to accept the change or pay em. Actually was originally booked in January...  I fly AA as only a last resort... getting to be a never, under no condition option for me though. 

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

yep... orig tickets (x2) ~$520 each, with change now ~$850 each their response was they didn't change it more than 4 hours so not entitled to refund either per their policy. It's going into a smaller regional airport so they know the choice is limited to accept the change or pay em. Actually was originally booked in January...  I fly AA as only a last resort... getting to be a never, under no condition option for me though. 

Ah, so +/- 4 hours is in the T&C of the ticket when you buy it. delays are a routine part of flying, I guess it just never occurred to me they would move a flight up a few hours, and then fuck you over on a required reschedule because thier new times are problematic. I would hope that they would take a more customer friendly approach and accommodate you in the available seats the following day at the same price, but those days are probably long gone.

Just now, Blotto said:

Ah, so +/- 4 hours is in the T&C of the ticket when you buy it. delays are a routine part of flying, I guess it just never occurred to me they would move a flight up a few hours, and then fuck you over on a required reschedule because thier new times are problematic. I would hope that they would take a more customer friendly approach and accommodate you in the available seats the following day at the same price, but those days are probably long gone.

yeah, worst I had with them was similar last year where they did the same, moved flight 2 times, both forward.. 1 hr... then another 2 hrs... then I noticed a couple days later they "inserted" a new flight at the original time I had. I called them on it and they said would be happy to move me to that flight for a cost of $300 per ticket but it was a "different flight" regardless if was at same time as original ticket... I'm the idiot for still flying with them...

• Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I’m already there. I fly SWA everywhere now. Flew to LGA for Spring Break and flying to Cayman from Love Field in a month. SWA on both. I’d rather a) pay cash for tickets as opposed to using my many accumulated miles; and b) connect through FLL to get to Cayman as opposed to flying direct from DFW on AA, than ever fuck with AA again. 

yeah, worst I had with them was similar last year where they did the same, moved flight 2 times, both forward.. 1 hr... then another 2 hrs... then I noticed a couple days later they "inserted" a new flight at the original time I had. I called them on it and they said would be happy to move me to that flight for a cost of $300 per ticket but it was a "different flight" regardless if was at same time as original ticket... I'm the idiot for still flying with them...

That’s fucked up

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I now have some really good questions to ask my AI software customers.

“So how much pain are you willing to inflict on customers to maximize $per mile?”

Also I love that my corporate travel dept basically gave me max status on all carriers/hotels and a dedicated number for Amex. Looks like that might come in handy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

AA heard me...finally day of flight and incoming plane has maintenance issues and can't be flown... Found another plane but now will miss connections... 2 hr departure delay and now also adding a layover of 9 hrs... Never again AA... never again

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

AA heard me...finally day of flight and incoming plane has maintenance issues and can't be flown... Found another plane but now will miss connections... 2 hr departure delay and now also adding a layover of 9 hrs... Never again AA... never again

I remember reading your original story. That’s total bullshit and I bet the flight at your preferred time goes off without a hitch

I never fly AA but will definitely keep this in mind if I ever think of booking with them

On 6/18/2022 at 8:22 PM, ATexanAbroad said:

some of you havent lived in weird ass places with terrible airlines and it shows

I offer you air safari, holes in the floor and the exit window was in front of the propellor. No beverages, no service, no nothing. 21 year old indian bush pilots getting their experiene. 

I offer Kenya Airlines (or whatever its called). Once we were airborne, the pilot turned around (you could see right into the cockpit) and offered up a cardboard box full of sandwiches, if anybody wanted one. "Just take one and pass the box on back".

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I offer Kenya Airlines (or whatever its called). Once we were airborne, the pilot turned around (you could see right into the cockpit) and offered up a cardboard box full of sandwiches, if anybody wanted one. "Just take one and pass the box on back".

Man, at least they offered sandwiches. Way better than most short-haul US carriers.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Kenya Airways is great.  It's the little outfit that flies prop planes from Nairobi Wilson to all of the game lodges across Kenya.  Those were some fun flights.

Air Kenya, on the other hand, suck shit through a straw.  I show up for my flight from Kilimanjaro to Livingstone (Zambia), and they all look puzzled.  Apparently, they changed the once-per-week flight to a Thursday departure from a Friday departure and didn't tell anybody.  So when I showed up on Friday, they told me I was about 24 hours late for my flight.  No suggestions as to how I was going to get to Zambia.  Nothing.  

On 4/15/2022 at 12:14 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Case.  Closed.  

BD263092-E6AE-4C2A-B7FA-A7094742227A.jpeg

Happened to friends who went up to Montreal with us for the F1 race.  Their flight into Montreal got diverted because of weather.  They got diverted to Ottawa and sat on the plane for a couple hours until the pilot timed out.  Then they deplaned everyone and put them on a bus to Montreal.  Good ole Air Canada...

Stuck in NJ for 4 days because United keeps cancelling all their flights for "weather" while every other carrier is leaving the area. For the first time in my life I got into with a gate agent and they even tried to lie about available flights while I had to pull up google and show them what was available. I ate the $1400 ticket and just bought an American Airlines ticket (whom I love) and will finally be getting out. Fuck anything affiliated with that shithole Houston. I have never had 3 flights cancelled in my life let alone a weekend. 

Again, FUCK anything Houston related. United, based out of Houston, fuck you too!

Edited by ATexanAbroad

Happened to friends who went up to Montreal with us for the F1 race.  Their flight into Montreal got diverted because of weather.  They got diverted to Ottawa and sat on the plane for a couple hours until the pilot timed out.  Then they deplaned everyone and put them on a bus to Montreal.  Good ole Air Canada...

To be fair, that’s only a 2 hour bus ride and was most likely faster anyway.

On the other hand, United will try to put people on 12 hour bus rides to avoid refunding money.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Stuck in NJ for 4 days because United keeps cancelling all their flights for "weather" while every other carrier is leaving the area. For the first time in my life I got into with a gate agent and they even tried to lie about available flights while I had to pull up google and show them what was available. I ate the $1400 ticket and just bought an American Airlines ticket (whom I love) and will finally be getting out. Fuck anything affiliated with that shithole Houston. I have never had 3 flights cancelled in my life let alone a weekend. 

Again, FUCK anything Houston related. United, based out of Houston, fuck you too!

Huh. You love American Airlines, and fuck ugly women and brag about them with pics?  Yeah, you’re the worst guy on this site. 

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Huh. You love American Airlines, and fuck ugly women and brag about them with pics?  Yeah, you’re the worst guy on this site. 

haha youre such a whiny bitch I love it!

It's like you follow me around this site to neg and complain. I love the girls I fuck and I find voyeurism fun. Sucks to suck.

Edited by ATexanAbroad

2 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

haha youre such a whiny bitch I love it!

It's like you follow me around this site to neg and complain. I love the girls I fuck and I find voyeurism fun. Sucks to suck.

I assure you, I don’t follow you around. You just appear, saying stupid shit like you love AA. 

1 minute ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Their Texas based airport is Houston. Says a lot.

It’s Chicago infected. Continental was a decent airline. United has AIDS like a Colombian whore. 

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I assure you, I don’t follow you around. You just appear, saying stupid shit like you love AA. 

It’s Chicago infected. Continental was a decent airline. United has AIDS like a Colombian whore. 

Bitch mode engaged! Wow also to just calling colombians AID whores. I think youre really pathetic and thats honestly terrible. Your life probably sucks. Keep following me around CUCK.

7 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Bitch mode engaged! Wow also to just calling colombians AID whores. I think youre really pathetic and thats honestly terrible. Your life probably sucks. Keep following me around CUCK.

Lol

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Kenya Airways is great.  It's the little outfit that flies prop planes from Nairobi Wilson to all of the game lodges across Kenya.  Those were some fun flights.

Air Kenya, on the other hand, suck shit through a straw.  I show up for my flight from Kilimanjaro to Livingstone (Zambia), and they all look puzzled.  Apparently, they changed the once-per-week flight to a Thursday departure from a Friday departure and didn't tell anybody.  So when I showed up on Friday, they told me I was about 24 hours late for my flight.  No suggestions as to how I was going to get to Zambia.  Nothing.  

Honestly don't remember which airline it was. Flew a prop from Nairobi to Lamu.

Wait so you make fun of me for making decently good money that goes 4x as far then want me to paste my paystub?

I'm making fun of you because you try to bigtime people here all the time, and you brag about how much money you supposedly make.  A lot of those people make a lot more money than you.  So sit down, Junior.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm making fun of you because you try to bigtime people here all the time, and you brag about how much money you supposedly make.  A lot of those people make a lot more money than you.  So sit down, Junior.

Seems like a lot of small penis envy. Never said anything about where I fall on the food chain. Only what X amount of money performs like in South America and my style of living. Since then you’ve don’t nothing but follow me and attack me.

I don’t care about you. I am living my life 100x to the fullest and that seems to bother you.

I feel sorry for you.

Seems like a lot of small penis envy. Never said anything about where I fall on the food chain. Only what X amount of money performs like in South America and my style of living. Since then you’ve don’t nothing but follow me and attack me.

I don’t care about you. I am living my life 100x to the fullest and that seems to bother you.

I feel sorry for you.

You belittle people here all the time, tell us how shitty our lives are, but you don't care about us?  I'm not the one putting my life on blast every chance I get, chief.  Now get back to work and make your boss more money.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You belittle people here all the time, tell us how shitty our lives are, but you don't care about us?  I'm not the one putting my life on blast every chance I get, chief.  Now get back to work and make your boss more money.

I don’t care about you.

Who says I work for anyone else 🤣

Edited by ATexanAbroad

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Honestly don't remember which airline it was. Flew a prop from Nairobi to Lamu.

That was almost certainly Kenya Airways.

We flew several of those airlines when we were in Africa, and I thought they were fun.  I mean, it's basic transportation--you're getting into a 10-seat plane with a pilot and that's it.  But damn it's fun to land at a dirt airstrip while the giraffes and zebras watch.

Checking in. Flight cancelled after we taxied out to the runway and sat there for 10 minutes or so. Pilot came on and said they had “paperwork issues.” He came on 5 minutes later saying paperwork was resolved but the crew had timed out so we needed to go back to the gate. That took an hour because no gates were available. Once at the gate, the pilots messed up the park job, so they had to call over a tug to
push us back a foot or so. That took another 30 minutes. I was so discombobulated fucking around on the app trying to rebook to another flight that I forgot my iPad on the plane. Lulz.

After a combination of waiting in line for 1.5 hours and wheeling/dealing on the phone, they rebook us for tomorrow, but send our bags on another flight back home without asking. So we are stuck overnight in a hotel I had to pay for (the only close voucher hotel did not have a room big enough for us) without bags.

In short, fuck American. Top to bottom, from the pilots to the gate agent to the baggage office, no one seemed to give a shit. The flight attendant was at least somewhat apologetic.

Finally, I may have seen Art Acevedo on the flight. He looked kinda rough. At least we didn’t get raped.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, Sam Lin said:

Man, at least they offered sandwiches. Way better than most short-haul US carriers.

Sounds better than a bag of pretzels, for sure!

On 8/8/2022 at 4:27 PM, Ghost of LL said:

That was almost certainly Kenya Airways.

We flew several of those airlines when we were in Africa, and I thought they were fun.  I mean, it's basic transportation--you're getting into a 10-seat plane with a pilot and that's it.  But damn it's fun to land at a dirt airstrip while the giraffes and zebras watch.

Any more, i don't really GAF about in air conveniences.  I'm just thrilled when my flight actually departs and I'm headed to my destination. I don't care about the trivial bullshit.  I just want to fucking get there.

But fuck people who don't bath/ shower before flights.  Had one last week that just about made me puke after they walked by.  WTF is wrong with people?

Edited by slorch

22 minutes ago, slorch said:

Sounds better than a bag of pretzels, for sure!

Any more, i don't really GAF about in air conveniences.  I'm just thrilled when my flight actually departs and I'm headed to my destination. I don't care about the trivial bullshit.  I just want to fucking get there.

But fuck people who don't bath/ shower before flights.  Had one last week that just about made me puke after they walked by.  WTF is wrong with people?

Jesus--I had that on an Kenya Airways flight from Nairobi to Lusaka.  There were only about a dozen people on the flight (a 737-700), but damned if they didn't cram us all in the four rows over the wing (and this was in the Covid Times, mind you).  I'm sure it had something to do with weight distribution, but still--you could've spread us out a bit more.

It wasn't that big a deal, except the woman across the aisle stank.  Like the kind of stink you can only get after spending three weeks in the African bush without a shower kind of stink.  

It was the only time I was happy I had to wear a mask on a plane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

we had a 2020 flight cancelled DFW-LHR for covid (4 biz class tix).  should have just gotten refund but just kept it as credit as we wanted to make the trip when feasible.  finally rebooking for this Nov and it's a pita 'cause we could not do the credit on the website for our kids or something.  wife calls up and the cs rep said that we would have to essentially beg some other entity within AA to get our credit because it had been ~ 2 years since booking.  Had to finally get a supervisor to sort it out, but the balls on AA to instruct their cs reps to imply that keeping ~$20K of our money is cool and that we then needed to 'plead our case' to get to use that credit.  All sorted out in the end, but eff them.  will always take the $ and run for any future credits.

Southwest sure seems to be fucking with any remaining goodwill their regular customers have left.

They have a new push to get everyone to pay extra to improve their boarding position. Normally, I get anywhere from A16-A45 even when buying the cheapest ticket. Boarding position after A15 is solely based on seniority in their mileage program. Last 3 flights, I’ve been given C31 or lower. There’s no way on a Friday noon flight to Denver, there are that many travel warriors ahead of me. Their algorithm totally knows I’m a candidate to upgrade since most of the flights are for business, so those fuckers are screwing me over to squeeze $40 out of me.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1