Prove Me Wrong: American Airlines is the worst domestic airline

Rougarou

AA got these kids there, eventually

Delta Air Lines came to the rescue of a group of Oklahoma elementary school students who were left stranded at an airport after American Airlines canceled their flight to Virginia and Washington, D.C.

USA TODAY: Delta Air Lines steps in to help stranded students

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2019/06/11/delta-air-lines-saves-school-trip-oklahoma-5th-graders/1417334001/

One could argue not allowing okies near the capital is an act of patriotism for which we all should be grateful

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AA thinks they are so smooth.

4 hour delay last night due to mechnical reasons (probably slow rolling due to mechanics union as suggested upthread). I called before the final departure update (which was another 45 minutes delayed) and the offering at that time was $100 travel voucher-- which seemed light-- or 7500 miles. I told her no thanks, I'll wait until i land and call back.

I call back when I land and AA had tried to proactively credit everyone 5000 miles. I explain that 5000 miles was less than what was being offered before the threshold of 4 hours was crossed in the delay and that it was a crappy thing to do to people who don't know their entitlements for vouchers/miles based of mechnical delays. Get transferred around, hung up on once, and finally reached someone who gave me $100 and 7500 miles, though to be fair, the points are worthless if they aren't EQMs.

I still think $100 voucher is scheisty as I thought 4+ hours was automatically $200, but it was late and I was tired of fighting with them and I did get to suffer through the delay in 1st class, so whatever.

Edited by Rougarou

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I think the guy stood up while the plane was taxiing. Not walked around - just stood up. He deserved a rebuke, but she literally yelled at and embarrassed him. 

he should be embarrassed. 

on a sidenote, i once had occasion to fly a chinese airline from shenzhen to chengdu. there was a rowdy group of chinese folks (seemed like chinese gypsies, almost, if that makes sense) who appeared drunk, but there was no booze service on the flight. anyways, the flight attendants were having trouble keeping them in line, and when we landed, i saw a sight i'll never forget. while taxiing, a couple of these rowdy folks slipped out of their seatbelts, and started rummaging in the overhead bin. the flight attendant, probably in her thirties, shrieked "ayeeyah!" and charged the people standing hitting them about the head with a rolled up newspaper until they sat down.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I've flown into MIA several times.  Every single time, somebody (cuban) stands up and reaches up for the overhead as soon as the wheels touch down.  

The FA's all scream at them, and they sit down.   I asked a FA about it, and she said that it only happens on flights to or from  MIA 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Probably some dumbass trying to move around the cabin during final. At least in my experience that gets some PA wrath. 

Had an idiot get up and race to the forward lav right after touchdown the other day. So we stopped the plane to wait on her. She said we could taxi in while she was in there. We didn’t. Turns out she didn’t  need to go. She wanted to be first off the plane. Points for originality I guess. 

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've flown into MIA several times.  Every single time, somebody (cuban) stands up and reaches up for the overhead as soon as the wheels touch down.  

The FA's all scream at them, and they sit down.   I asked a FA about it, and she said that it only happens on flights to or from  MIA 

This is starting to happen in other locations as well. The best part is when the plane gets to the gate 15 minutes early, and some guy in row 32 starts trying to cut his way up the aisle claiming he has a tight connection. Bro, we landed 15 minutes early, you're going to be fine. Quit bullshitting everyone and wait your turn. 

On 6/10/2019 at 9:52 PM, bmbmd said:

Our captain said there was a GPS failure at DFW. 

That makes more sense. Heard a story through a co-worker that a plane landed and spent four hours on the tarmac while waiting on a gate. He was there to pick up a friend. I'd be more than a little ragey if that happened to me. That's inexcusable to not get those people off the plane WAY before it got to that.

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This is starting to happen in other locations as well. The best part is when the plane gets to the gate 15 minutes early, and some guy in row 32 starts trying to cut his way up the aisle claiming he has a tight connection. Bro, we landed 15 minutes early, you're going to be fine. Quit bullshitting everyone and wait your turn. 

It happens on pretty much every flight I'm on.  As soon at they make the announcement for everyone to wait to get out of their seat until the plane has finished taxiing, people get up and start getting their shit out of the overhead and then wait in the aisle.

I always enjoy this the FA announcement...

'...ladies and gentlemen, some of your fellow travelers have very tight connections. If IAH is your final destination or you have extra time for your connection I'm sure they would appreciate it of you could remain seated and allow them to deplane quickly in order to make their next flight..."

Yeah right....works every time.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I think the guy stood up while the plane was taxiing. Not walked around - just stood up. He deserved a rebuke, but she literally yelled at and embarrassed him. 

Good.  Airline passengers are mostly trash with no shame, they should be yelled at and embarrassed constantly.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bought a flexible return flight from LAX to ORD for tomorrow morning, shit changed (as suspected) so I'm heading home today instead. 

No seats on any direct flights from LAX to ORD today according to the customer service representative I spoke with, despite Kayak suggesting otherwise. 

So I booked a connecting flight out of Burbank to DFW to ORD at her suggestion, and despite asking several times whether the flexible fare would still apply given the different airport, and her subsequent assurance that there was no difference in fare, I was greeted with a strange message when I checked in at the kiosk and ultimately had to pay another $400 at the desk. 

Now, I may still have booked this flight anyway even if I had known, but it pisses me off to be explicitly told one thing on the phone, act in reliance of that information, and have shit chaned on me once I have no other options. 

Plus, fuck Burbank's airport. Undeserved hype for how small and easy it is. It's littered with Guy Fieri restaurants, for fuck's sake. 

15 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Bought a flexible return flight from LAX to ORD for tomorrow morning, shit changed (as suspected) so I'm heading home today instead. 

No seats on any direct flights from LAX to ORD today according to the customer service representative I spoke with, despite Kayak suggesting otherwise. 

So I booked a connecting flight out of Burbank to DFW to ORD at her suggestion, and despite asking several times whether the flexible fare would still apply given the different airport, and her subsequent assurance that there was no difference in fare, I was greeted with a strange message when I checked in at the kiosk and ultimately had to pay another $400 at the desk. 

Now, I may still have booked this flight anyway even if I had known, but it pisses me off to be explicitly told one thing on the phone, act in reliance of that information, and have shit chaned on me once I have no other options. 

Plus, fuck Burbank's airport. Undeserved hype for how small and easy it is. It's littered with Guy Fieri restaurants, for fuck's sake. 

LOL, Kayak. 

I’m in/out of LGA about 3 times per month. As much as that place is the pure definition of hell its been fascinating watching it be transformed.

This.

Every time I am there I am so amazed by the scope of the changes. This last trip I noticed the pending road infrastructure.

I can’t fathom how had this project was to plan and manage.

Has anyone tried to fly transatlantic on American in the past 2 weeks?  Or does anyone have plans/tickets for transatlantic the next 2 months?
All hell is breaking loose from the mechanics going scorched earth after AA sued the union.

I did a DFW AMS turn in premium coach the first week of June. Had no issues whatsoever.

MCO-DFW on AA Monday morning. Woke up to take a leak at 1:30am and saw notification on my phone that my 9:30am flight was canceled. Alrighty then. Said to click here to rebook. No options for Monday so I chose 8am Tuesday. Get to the airport Tuesday and notice the 9:30am canceled again. I got upgraded to first on the 8am so I asked the gate agent why that 9:30am was canceled two days in a row. She blamed weather for Monday and “maintenance” for Tuesday. I smell the bullshit mechanics union slowdown. When I got off in C terminal at DFW it looked like a madhouse.

13 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

On AA flight from DFW to KC right now and a flight attendant snapped at a passenger on the mic/PA upon landing. 

Ah yes, my favorite AA story...it's above all the delays and cancelled flights (including to Paris just this year).  Hit 2 conferences back to back and was taking a business class ride back to Chicago.  I honestly can't recall being more tired coming off a work trip.  Of course binge drinking trips have left me at least as exhausted, if not in worse shape.  Anyways, I digress, I'm falling a sleep in 2A shortly before takeoff.  I vaguely hear someone say 'hello?' in a condescending voice...I look up and see the FA taking drink orders...I think maybe I was dreaming, who knows, eyes closed again...then a SNAP right in my face...I open my eyes and give a "WTF is wrong with you?"  The lady next to me, thankfully, had my back...FA realizing she had probably overstepped her bounds, meekly says, "I need you to stay awake.".  I'm like why the hell do I need to stay away you dumb bitch?  Luckily 2B stepped up and defused the situation.  I was about to go absolutely ballistic.  To this day, I have no idea why she would need me to stay awake?  

10 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

on a sidenote, i once had occasion to fly a chinese airline from shenzhen to chengdu. there was a rowdy group of chinese folks (seemed like chinese gypsies, almost, if that makes sense) who appeared drunk, but there was no booze service on the flight. anyways, the flight attendants were having trouble keeping them in line, and when we landed, i saw a sight i'll never forget. while taxiing, a couple of these rowdy folks slipped out of their seatbelts, and started rummaging in the overhead bin. the flight attendant, probably in her thirties, shrieked "ayeeyah!" and charged the people standing hitting them about the head with a rolled up newspaper until they sat down.

there have been some kettles and customers of size i would love to have womped over the head with a rolled up newspaper.   we need some of that action.

yo, bitch, you DO NOT get to put THREE FUCKING ITEMS in the overhead bin.  that backpack and that purse?  UNDER YOUR SEAT MORAN.

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The weirdest combinations of dykwias, kettles, lizards and sheep occur at the following airports:

PBI

MIA

ISP

MCO

God i hate Orlando meetings/events.  Most craptacular place on the planet for business.  But West Palm Beach takes the cake.  I've seen FORTY wheelchair miracles on a PBI flight.  40.

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

That makes more sense. Heard a story through a co-worker that a plane landed and spent four hours on the tarmac while waiting on a gate. He was there to pick up a friend. I'd be more than a little ragey if that happened to me. That's inexcusable to not get those people off the plane WAY before it got to that.

American doesn't alter their order of battle for irrops.  Fly in in an A321?  You are going to park at an "A321 gate" in Terminal A.  737?  Terminal C.  Except for a couple of gates in D.  Why?  Raising, lower, extending, or retracting jetways requires agents that get paid for having those skils.  The Braniff terminal (B) that is now used by Eagle is basically shut down by 8pm every day, and AAmericAAnt could easily push the RJs back off the gate to the back of the ramp and open up 25 gates to get shit moving.

But they won't do it.  Because it incurs cost.  They would have to have extra staff for the surge capacity, and spend money on jetway maintenance.

AA moves everything through in sequence.  And they do not alter their order of battle.  They have constructed an operation that only works when there are no anomalies and uses 100% of their physical plant.  It's all perfectly legal.  And when it breaks, the public will not be allowed to be "re-accomodated" until the maximum pain and suffering has been inflicted before surrendering the revenue manifest in ACARS.

In the case of the airlines, Milton Freedman was not correct.

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ah yes, my favorite AA story...it's above all the delays and cancelled flights (including to Paris just this year).  Hit 2 conferences back to back and was taking a business class ride back to Chicago.  I honestly can't recall being more tired coming off a work trip.  Of course binge drinking trips have left me at least as exhausted, if not in worse shape.  Anyways, I digress, I'm falling a sleep in 2A shortly before takeoff.  I vaguely hear someone say 'hello?' in a condescending voice...I look up and see the FA taking drink orders...I think maybe I was dreaming, who knows, eyes closed again...then a SNAP right in my face...I open my eyes and give a "WTF is wrong with you?"  The lady next to me, thankfully, had my back...FA realizing she had probably overstepped her bounds, meekly says, "I need you to stay awake.".  I'm like why the hell do I need to stay away you dumb bitch?  Luckily 2B stepped up and defused the situation.  I was about to go absolutely ballistic.  To this day, I have no idea why she would need me to stay awake?  

BECAUSE YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO IN A WATER LANDING!!!!
Sheesh!
tenor.gif?itemid=12232532

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Just pray the captains pencil holder doesn’t go INOP

I have a meeting on 5th ave. which is an hour long with a hard stop. I had to fly out of mega Delta country (MSP) and thought there was a good 50-60% chance I’d miss the meeting entirely due to AA, but it looks like both legs will be On Time even with “weather” in PHL. Delete this thread and ban me!

Edited by Rougarou

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

American doesn't alter their order of battle for irrops.  Fly in in an A321?  You are going to park at an "A321 gate" in Terminal A.  737?  Terminal C.  Except for a couple of gates in D.  Why?  Raising, lower, extending, or retracting jetways requires agents that get paid for having those skils.  The Braniff terminal (B) that is now used by Eagle is basically shut down by 8pm every day, and AAmericAAnt could easily push the RJs back off the gate to the back of the ramp and open up 25 gates to get shit moving.

But they won't do it.  Because it incurs cost.  They would have to have extra staff for the surge capacity, and spend money on jetway maintenance.

AA moves everything through in sequence.  And they do not alter their order of battle.  They have constructed an operation that only works when there are no anomalies and uses 100% of their physical plant.  It's all perfectly legal.  And when it breaks, the public will not be allowed to be "re-accomodated" until the maximum pain and suffering has been inflicted before surrendering the revenue manifest in ACARS.

In the case of the airlines, Milton Freedman was not correct.

At some point, can you not get the plane somewhere and bring a stairway truck and some buses and let people de-plane on the tarmac?

Edited by C-Man
Correcting end-of-sentence punctuation

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

At some point, can you not get the plane somewhere and bring a stairway truck and some buses and let people de-plane on the tarmac?

Nope.  Costs money.  Requires buses.  Self-loading cargo not contained.  Loose cattle.

Two years ago in one of the August weather events, i was diverted IAD-DFW to GRK (Fort Hood).  Departed 530pm Eastern, barely escaped huge storm moving on Dulles from the north.  Watching radar on the internet on the plane, it's clear we're not landing at DFW any time near scheduled arrival at 830pm.  Do we divert to BNA? No. LIT? No. TUL? No. OKC? no.  In fact, by my count, we passed 9 stAAtions with mainline service that still had personnel on the ground at those airfields that could have easily accommodated diversions.  Instead, we did a loop over Paris and Greenville, 14 times over the course of 90 minutes, again while it is readily apparent we are not landing at DFW any time soon.  Why do this and not divert earlier?  Costs money.  Gas is cheaper than wages.  But if they divert, then they trigger missed connections and the requisite compensation DELIBERATELY and IN ADVANCE of the breakage.  The corporate culture requires the breakage to occur before it can be remediated, even if the breakage is known in advance to have a 100% chance of occurring.  It defies logic, but it is the culture of negative compensation and cost aversion.  And it's all perfectly legal.

So when we get down to 60 minutes of reserves, and the miracle hole in the storm has not opened, we the redirect to GRK.  Land at 1030pm.  Jetways?  Yes.  But the gates leased by AA are used by Eagle RJs.  There's a gate used by Delta that's empty and appears to be at the height used by a 717 (same as MD-80).  Can we park there and use the terminal?  Nope.  Costs money.   It's 1030pm and we've been diverted to a field where there are no AA personnel on duty at all.  Already gone home.  Can't raise and extend the Eagle jetways for an MD-80.  Costs money.  Have to pay people.  So we park on the tarmac.  They lower the rear air-stair.  A non-AA guy in a yellow vest comes up in to the plane, dumps blue juice down the toilets.  After about an hour a fuel truck shows up to get us some gas.  Captain announces anyone that wants to go to the terminal is allowed to do so because per Federal rules AA has to make that possible now that we have passed a 4-hour delay from scheduled arrival to original destination.  But get this, anyone that does go in to the terminal, can't get back on the plane.  It's a one-way door in to the terminal.  AA has deliberately diverted to a station where they are by default on landing in violation of the Federal rules regarding delays and access to the terminal.  14 people going to Austin/San Antonio/Houston decide to deplane and take their chances with uber or friends coming to get them.  Captain is told by GSW those deplaing PAX will have to pay for their bags to be shipped to them from DFW.  Houston/Centex pax protest their connections are already busted, if they go back to DFW they will have chance "re-accomodation" that could take days and end up having to drive anyway.  War of words breaks out.  Captain can't allow violation of TSA rules (reason quoted why de-planers will have to pay to have their bags shipped).  I'm up front so we're getting the pbp from the back by an FA talking to the rear galley.  Total shitshow.  At that moment Co-Pilot comes running down the aisle, we've been cleared for DFW.  2 guys with carry-ons decide to bail.  Rest of us shoot up to DFW in 19 minutes at 500 knots never breaking FL80.  Land at 1:50am.  At 2am DFW takes down the counterclockwise train, i'm going from C to A, there are 3000 people stuck in the airport that AA won't take care of, and they are all trying to get to the 7-11 in Terminal D.  It takes 45 minutes to get from C to A on the train going the wrong direction.  Decided not to chance the inter-terminal buses, because why would they be running at 2am with any regularity?  Uber prices were astronomical.  $100 to go *anywhere* from DFW.

Doug Parker should be waterboarded.  Or if we really wanted to get medievial, make him ride in the last row middle seat on an Oasis Torture Tube, and endure a 9-hour tarmac delay.

• Like 4

I'm IAH based.  I fly a lot of United (1K last couple of years, top of the heap Global Svcs this year - yay! look at me).....United has had their "moments" over the years but never anything approaching what Hagbard described above.

45 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Nope.  Costs money.  Requires buses.  Self-loading cargo not contained.  Loose cattle.

Two years ago in one of the August weather events, i was diverted IAD-DFW to GRK (Fort Hood).  Departed 530pm Eastern, barely escaped huge storm moving on Dulles from the north.  Watching radar on the internet on the plane, it's clear we're not landing at DFW any time near scheduled arrival at 830pm.  Do we divert to BNA? No. LIT? No. TUL? No. OKC? no.  In fact, by my count, we passed 9 stAAtions with mainline service that still had personnel on the ground at those airfields that could have easily accommodated diversions.  Instead, we did a loop over Paris and Greenville, 14 times over the course of 90 minutes, again while it is readily apparent we are not landing at DFW any time soon.  Why do this and not divert earlier?  Costs money.  Gas is cheaper than wages.  But if they divert, then they trigger missed connections and the requisite compensation DELIBERATELY and IN ADVANCE of the breakage.  The corporate culture requires the breakage to occur before it can be remediated, even if the breakage is known in advance to have a 100% chance of occurring.  It defies logic, but it is the culture of negative compensation and cost aversion.  And it's all perfectly legal.

So when we get down to 60 minutes of reserves, and the miracle hole in the storm has not opened, we the redirect to GRK.  Land at 1030pm.  Jetways?  Yes.  But the gates leased by AA are used by Eagle RJs.  There's a gate used by Delta that's empty and appears to be at the height used by a 717 (same as MD-80).  Can we park there and use the terminal?  Nope.  Costs money.   It's 1030pm and we've been diverted to a field where there are no AA personnel on duty at all.  Already gone home.  Can't raise and extend the Eagle jetways for an MD-80.  Costs money.  Have to pay people.  So we park on the tarmac.  They lower the rear air-stair.  A non-AA guy in a yellow vest comes up in to the plane, dumps blue juice down the toilets.  After about an hour a fuel truck shows up to get us some gas.  Captain announces anyone that wants to go to the terminal is allowed to do so because per Federal rules AA has to make that possible now that we have passed a 4-hour delay from scheduled arrival to original destination.  But get this, anyone that does go in to the terminal, can't get back on the plane.  It's a one-way door in to the terminal.  AA has deliberately diverted to a station where they are by default on landing in violation of the Federal rules regarding delays and access to the terminal.  14 people going to Austin/San Antonio/Houston decide to deplane and take their chances with uber or friends coming to get them.  Captain is told by GSW those deplaing PAX will have to pay for their bags to be shipped to them from DFW.  Houston/Centex pax protest their connections are already busted, if they go back to DFW they will have chance "re-accomodation" that could take days and end up having to drive anyway.  War of words breaks out.  Captain can't allow violation of TSA rules (reason quoted why de-planers will have to pay to have their bags shipped).  I'm up front so we're getting the pbp from the back by an FA talking to the rear galley.  Total shitshow.  At that moment Co-Pilot comes running down the aisle, we've been cleared for DFW.  2 guys with carry-ons decide to bail.  Rest of us shoot up to DFW in 19 minutes at 500 knots never breaking FL80.  Land at 1:50am.  At 2am DFW takes down the counterclockwise train, i'm going from C to A, there are 3000 people stuck in the airport that AA won't take care of, and they are all trying to get to the 7-11 in Terminal D.  It takes 45 minutes to get from C to A on the train going the wrong direction.  Decided not to chance the inter-terminal buses, because why would they be running at 2am with any regularity?  Uber prices were astronomical.  $100 to go *anywhere* from DFW.

Doug Parker should be waterboarded.  Or if we really wanted to get medievial, make him ride in the last row middle seat on an Oasis Torture Tube, and endure a 9-hour tarmac delay.

torbush-wow.gif

• Like 1

AA had the good manners to tell me my 6:00am flight to for tomorrow is cancelled. I have a 10a meeting that is a must to attend and luckily the city is only 5 hours away; every Avis/Hertz/etc. is closed except the ones at my local airport, so I take an Uber and go pick up a vehicle and am looking forward to a 5 hour drive tomorrow. I'd take my own car and just charge the mileage and fuel, but I have a flight from there to NYC and will be flying back home directly from LGA. Plus I've already been upgraded to first class to LGA, so I drive tomorrow :(

Bought a flexible/refundable ticket for today on Friday morning, canceled and requested the refund Friday afternoon. 

All day yesterday my phone and email are giving me "it's now time to check in for your flight" bullshit. So I called them, and they called me back between an hour and twelve minutes and an hour and thirty-nine minutes later. 

Dude who called confirmed that I'm all good for the refund and to just ignore the alerts because that happens all the time.

Great system there - continue issuing me notifications for a flight I'm no longer taking. Thanks for that. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 6/12/2019 at 12:24 PM, hayden_horn said:

Strong. My favorite Asian air travel story comes from the book Chasing the Monsoon by Alexander Frater a British travel writer who loved rain and went to India to experience as much of it as he could.

He grew to hate India Airways because they were always late, sometimes ridiculously so. And one time he was in some long ticket line with a cynical Indian bookseller who told him that the trick in coping with the delays was to become a connoisseur of the excuses they would announce.

"My favorite one," he said, "was this":

'We are sorry for the delay in the arrival of the plane from Patnagar."

"A tiger has eaten the pilot."

• Like 1

I'm (semi, yeah I chose 'em but didn't have much of a choice) forced to be flying out next week on them (AUS→MIA→Caribbean).
I gotta tells ya, I's scared as shit it ain't goin' down.

Edit:  er, that is, the flights actually leaving, not what happens to them (although lately it seems odds are better on the latter).

Edited by phdhorn

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I'm (semi, yeah I chose 'em but didn't have much of a choice) forced to be flying out next week on them (AUS→MIA→Caribbean).
I gotta tells ya, I's scared as shit it ain't goin' down.

Edit:  er, that is, the flights actually leaving, not what happens to them (although lately it seems odds are better on the latter).

The last 5 flights I’ve taken since my MSP debacle, only minimal disruptions and delays. Also maybe coinciding I’ve been upgraded to first class 3 out of 5 

Bought a flexible/refundable ticket for today on Friday morning, canceled and requested the refund Friday afternoon. 
All day yesterday my phone and email are giving me "it's now time to check in for your flight" bullshit. So I called them, and they called me back between an hour and twelve minutes and an hour and thirty-nine minutes later. 
Dude who called confirmed that I'm all good for the refund and to just ignore the alerts because that happens all the time.
Great system there - continue issuing me notifications for a flight I'm no longer taking. Thanks for that. 

It’s probably developed by low-cost contractors who were given requirements with little analysis and no feedback loop to very user-friendliness. Their budget, rather then your opinion, mattered most. Lots of enterprise software is built this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk