show off your RC toys

52-80

I just bought my 5 year old his first RC toy, its a dune buggy with 4WD.

$30 on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LDNLQYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First I went and spent $50 at Walmart and the thing was comically shitty.  It did not work right out of the box.  Want to turn left?  HAHA FUCKO

Walmart sucks and I am dumb for going to there

Edited by huge

Oh shit.  It’s going to be getting weird in here now if people are starting to brag about remote controlled toys.  Those F4s are pretty cool.  How big are they?
Those are qf4 phantom ii's. Phantoms refitted with RC control to serve as target drones.

The real thing. I am a tax paying American citizen so I along with the rest of y'all own em.

We are doing this with older f16 vipers now too.

On 4/12/2019 at 5:56 AM, 52-80 said:

any recs for boats?  i got a lake and slow-current rivers nearby.  would suck if they malfunction in the middle of the water.

My dad had a gas-powered boat in the 80s, not sure on scale but a couple of feet long. And fast as shit.  

We always had a fishing pole with a big-ass treble hook and never used it on a body Iof water where it could get really far away.  

That doesn’t help much I know.  

14 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I had one of those when I was a kid. It was a scale model of a P-40. I used to get dizzy as shit flying that thing in circles.

Had one of those planes and one of these bad boys.  The elementary school nearby had asphalt outdoor basketball courts and I would hammer a nail down as the pivot point.  Would fire it up and get it going on circle the get inside the perimeter and jump the tether.  If you landed wrong it would wrap you up pretty quick along with the possibility of getting popped by the prop.   

Let it run free down the street a few times but it would get a little dangerous trying to stop and turn the other way

Eventually used the engine and prop to make an airboat later on.

vintage-cox-shrike-gas-propeller_1_73079

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Had one of those planes and one of these bad boys.  The elementary school nearby had asphalt outdoor basketball courts and I would hammer a nail down as the pivot point.  Would fire it up and get it going on circle the get inside the perimeter and jump the tether.  If you landed wrong it would wrap you up pretty quick along with the possibility of getting popped by the prop.   

Let it run free down the street a few times but it would get a little dangerous trying to stop and turn the other way

Eventually used the engine and prop to make an airboat later on.

vintage-cox-shrike-gas-propeller_1_73079

Like a backwards NASCAR race

When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to have a first-generation Tamiya Hot Shot (somebody in the family had some money).  This was the 80s.  Still have it, and plan on fixing it up again (have bought junked Hot Shots and parts off of eBay over the years).  

But rit now, don’t have the time or space to work on it.  But I am extremely intrigued by the 1/28 and 1/32 cars.  The decent ones, not the shitty $10 or $15 ones.  The ones that can be upgraded and are more durable.  

Team Associated even has a 1/28 scale version of the famed RC10 for $55 that’s ready to run. 

I wanted the mid-1980s version so bad.  It was so clean looking, and lots of aftermarket parts  

IMG_0405.JPG

so i want something that pitch and rolls and has "real" physics... and is durable and can drive over shit and jump, so larger, heavier, independently suspended car is the tickets.  will be looking at 1:10'ish scale short course trucks like a traxxas in 2wd or awd

would be fun to assemble together by parts but apparently the market is just mostly fully-built cars

23 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

so i want something that pitch and rolls and has "real" physics... and is durable and can drive over shit and jump, so larger, heavier, independently suspended car is the tickets.  will be looking at 1:10'ish scale short course trucks like a traxxas in 2wd or awd

would be fun to assemble together by parts but apparently the market is just mostly fully-built cars

Most Tamiya kits are unassembled, but it sounds like you want these:

http://www.axialracing.com/

you need this.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

Had the Hornet as well, may get a new one.

I was thinking about trying to revive some of my old kits, or picking up some used cars. I talked to my dad last night, he wants to go on in on getting one for my kid for his birthday and they would build it together - he remembers helping me build my first RC kit, and wants my son to get the full experience of a brand-new kit that needs to be assembled.  We decided on the Grasshopper since it was relatively simple, and had really solid runtime - around 45 minutes, plus the Hornet is too fast for a soon-to-be 7 year-old.

Anyways, I looked into it, and came across two things.

One, last June, Tamiya instituted a mandator pricing scheme - hobby shops/retailers can only advertise Tamiya's minimum prices and not list "sale prices".  You can read the discussion here, but it sounded really dumb, since it doesn't necessarily impact Tamiya if retailers lower their prices for sales.  Really dumb, given the hobby is in decline.  You can still find relatively cheap prices if you poke around, but all of the major retailers stick to those prices that Tamiya set (some will do the "add to cart to see your actual price, etc., or they'll offer accessories).

Two, try and buy in person, or buy from a reputable hobby shop online, because there's some sketchy shit out there.

For instance, if you look at the Hornet on Amazon, it's a good price (up to $45 or $50 off of others such as Tower Hobbies) but if you look closer, it's sold through third parties, and when you read the reviews,  you discover that a bunch of the kits are being shipped from overseas, and many of them do not have the electronic speed control - the companies are pulling them out and selling them separately ($35-$50).  So the kits on Amazon may seem slightly cheaper, but they aren't really if they are missing the ESC.  It's shitty, because it's advertised on the box that they come with an ESC.  If you plan on buying a third-party ESC and don't mind dealing with somebody shipping from overseas, Amazon is probably worth it.

Plus you should support your local hobby stores anyways.

• Like 2

And today I learned that the Austin area has a world-class offroad RC facility - it's in Hutto.

https://www.thornhillrc.com/tracks

The huge covered track is designed for 1/8 scale vehicles and includes an expansive driver's stand, raised pit lane, 220" jumbotron, and bleachers for spectating. The track itself covers 24,000sqft making it the largest permanent covered offroad track in the world. Host of the 2014, 2016 and 2019 ROAR Fuel Offroad Nationals and The Dirt Lonestar Nitro Challenge. Thornhill has established itself as a top destination for world class RC competition. The Entire TRC complex is situated on 13.9 acres and has plenty of room for RV's, trailer and parking. 

• Like 3

I am into those scale 4x4s. Recently sold my gmade but may get back into the hobby. Kinda miss it. They are great with kids, because they don't go fast and therefore don't shatter into a million pieces. And in terms of crawling and trail running, its more of a laid back intellectual exercise than fast twitch. 

I have a 1/10 Traxxas Stampede 2WD truck that is a blast, have to drag it out and fire it up again, its about 10-12 yrs old.

I also have a small drone that I can take pics with or fly around the backyard tormenting my BC

Edited by Spartan52
more info

On 4/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, Tamiya still sells the original (mostly original) Grasshoppers, Hornets, etc.

Know what I'm getting my kid for his birthday later this year.

Well...decisions, decisions.

51hz2z2VaqL.jpg

81eksly4xXL._SX679_.jpg

I had a Frog.  Was awesome until I killed it jumping curbs into trash cans.

If you want something that's cheap, that has some parts floating around, and that would be good for small areas, Google up JJRC LT832.  Apparently it's a clone of the 1/32 Losi Micro's (which are no longer produced).

Places like Banggood have them for around $35, and they can be had on eBay for the same price (sometimes for $30).  It's a cheap little 2.4GHz setup as well.

You want the "S" version, which is the stadium truck version, because the wheels are better protected by the body than the other version (buggy and monster).  This one:

s-l300.jpg

People use them as the basis for making other 1/32 scale RCs, like this:

Debating picking up a few of those clones as they are cheap, and letting my kid have fun and learn to run a respectably fast RC, but at the same time, I still plan on getting him a Grasshopper and letting him go through the whole building experience.

If you want a ready-to-run 1/10 that's a damn fine platform and has everything but the battery and charger, the Traxxas Bandit is apparently the go-to (and has been for over 10 years).  It's a cheap, but decent platform with a radio and electronics that runs $150 on Amazon.  Battery and charger run you another $50.

TRA24076-4-5.jpg?1535398602

• 3 weeks later...

the traxxas finally came in.  the 2 stock models had blacked out windows.  you could buy an empty shell and paint it, but i found a special edition with clear windows.

it was pretty amusing for the dog, and she chased it around.  pretty capable of climbing on stuff.  wife probably doesnt like it tramping around the flower bed

imgur

imgur

imgur

On 4/13/2019 at 8:45 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit, Tamiya still sells the original (mostly original) Grasshoppers, Hornets, etc.

51hz2z2VaqL.jpg

81eksly4xXL._SX679_.jpg

Had the top one back in the mid 80s

• 3 months later...

I still have my Kyosho Maxxum FF. It was the only front wheel drive car made. Had tons of fun with it.

I also have one of the 1/32 scale cars. Picked up a Lipo battery for it and man, does it fly. Lots of fun.

My son is 8. He’s about the right age to get into RC again.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Can anyone recommend a good ready-to-run kind of truck, buggy, etc. that's rugged, simple, and appropriate enough for a five year old with mediocre hand-eye coordination? I would be buying two of them so he and I could race together, so something that can be ordered with multiple rc frequencies (if that's an important requirement/valid concern these days) is something I need. 

I had a Kyosho Raider back in the day, and I liked playing with it but didn't have much patience for the tinkering and fixing and whatnot.

I would like to keep it to about $100 each or so. I poked around online earlier today and this is the current leader in the clubhouse, but the comparison shopping seemed a little disorienting for someone as far out of their league as it seems that I am... 

https://www.horizonhobby.com/granite-voltage-2wd-mega-1-10-mt-rtr-red-blue-p-ara102727t1

9 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Can anyone recommend a good ready-to-run kind of truck, buggy, etc. that's rugged, simple, and appropriate enough for a five year old with mediocre hand-eye coordination? I would be buying two of them so he and I could race together, so something that can be ordered with multiple rc frequencies (if that's an important requirement/valid concern these days) is something I need. 

I had a Kyosho Raider back in the day, and I liked playing with it but didn't have much patience for the tinkering and fixing and whatnot.

I would like to keep it to about $100 each or so. I poked around online earlier today and this is the current leader in the clubhouse, but the comparison shopping seemed a little disorienting for someone as far out of their league as it seems that I am... 

https://www.horizonhobby.com/granite-voltage-2wd-mega-1-10-mt-rtr-red-blue-p-ara102727t1

We got our 7 yr old this one for christmas and it's been great.  Runs for about 30 min before the batteries run out.  But it comes with an extra set so you can always have one charged and ready to go.
It's taken quite the beating as well and still keeps going.  I will probably end up getting a 2nd one to join him.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFLMWFB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 2:42 PM, atomheartbevo said:

One, last June, Tamiya instituted a mandator pricing scheme - hobby shops/retailers can only advertise Tamiya's minimum prices and not list "sale prices".

Apparently that went away.  But good luck finding new kits, as everybody had the same idea when the pandemic kicked in.  

On 4/13/2019 at 3:43 PM, atomheartbevo said:

When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to have a first-generation Tamiya Hot Shot (somebody in the family had some money).  This was the 80s.  Still have it, and plan on fixing it up again (have bought junked Hot Shots and parts off of eBay over the years).  

But rit now, don’t have the time or space to work on it.  

So yeah, about that.   Kind of have the time here and there.  Thanks to Tamiya re-releasing their 80s multiple times in the past 20 years, I can not only get replacement parts, but improved/upgrade parts.  Or buy a new Hot Shot.  Or it’s successors.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:45 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Didn’t happen last year.   But now I want to get one, because I don’t want my kid wrecking my 80s stuff 

I always wanted a Frog or Hornet.   Here in 2020, a new Frog is $190.  Hornet, $140.  Hornet is cheaper and easier to maintain, and more durable if memory serves.

But then, there is a new re-release of the Terra Scorcher, which can be had for $170.  It’s the final/best version of the Thundershot series, which was an upgrade/reboot of the Hot Shot series.    It’s way too much for him, but on the other hand, cheaper than a Frog and not much more than a new Hornet

spacer.png

• Like 1

Before I end my old man musings, I want to end with a rant.   It’s amazing how many RC off-road buggies and trucks these days have no personality whatsoever.   Their body styles and paint jobs tend to run together in a big blur.  And way too many of them come pre-built/RTR.   Part of the reason why I’m wanting to get a Tamiya re-release or whatever, is the experience of building it.

Back in my day, with just a simple glance, you could tell “that’s a Hot Shot, that’s a Super Hot Shot, an RC10, an Optima, a Scorpion, an Ultima, a Frog, a Bulldog (sweatergawd I knew somebody who had a Mugen Bulldog) etc.

Since this thread remains at the top of unread content for me, I might as well post. Have had this for about a year but it had a fatal flaw and had to send it back for a new one. Still very much a novice, but getting a little better
c7a791ed97915a76b97979704e9b6249.jpg