Spec's vs. Costco vs. Total Wine

Lidig8r

Greetings fellow Bacchanalians and Oenophiles!

We are located in North Dallas and have ready access to all three wine providers.

A good friend is throwing 4 parties in the next 6 weeks. And so, I am wondering price wise, does anyone have experience comparing the prices for mostly middle of the road, "John Mackovic would not drink this stuff" wines.

We will be buying by the case so the $10 - $12 per bottle price range is the target. (With some very good bottles stashed away for the true VIPs).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Trader Joe's.  Two Buck Chuck Shiraz.  Break it out in hour 3 and use the savings to subsidize some better stuff for early and really good stuff for the VIPs.

But there's always one guy who nurses his glass, so he finishes glass 1 or 2 in hour 3.  You didn't invite him but he showed up somehow - he's someone's date, your spouse's co-worker who overheard, whatever.  And then when you pop the cork on the low-end stuff he calls you out, because, well, that's what guys like that do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

But there's always one guy who nurses his glass, so he finishes glass 1 or 2 in hour 3.  You didn't invite him but he showed up somehow - he's someone's date, your spouse's co-worker who overheard, whatever.  And then when you pop the cork on the low-end stuff he calls you out, because, well, that's what guys like that do.

Right.  Fuck that guy.  (I quite literally broke my hand at one of my own house parties when an uninvited but not unknown guy showed up and bitched about the beer selection.  Rather than being a rude host, I punched a back wall . . . they call me "stud finder".  Wait, that sounds bad.  Anyway, you get the idea.)

22 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

You call his ass out in return.  "Who invited you anyway?"

25 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

You call his ass out in return.  "Who invited you anyway?"

Seems there's always some impediment to that.  His date is wife's boss, or he's the guy in charge of yard-of-the-month and your wife wants that shit so bad, whatever.  It is always the wife's fault, though.

• Haha 1

Total Wine does not give mixed case discount on liquor. Spec's does. Spec's are hit and miss on wine depending on location. They have a lot of smaller stores around DFW that were old Centennial locations. Most of those focus on liquor and beer. For wine I go to Beverage Depot in FW or Goody Goody in Dallas. Usually find good liquor deals there, too. They also give mixed case discounts.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:58 PM, RPM said:

Total Wine does not give mixed case discount on liquor. Spec's does. Spec's are hit and miss on wine depending on location. They have a lot of smaller stores around DFW that were old Centennial locations. Most of those focus on liquor and beer. For wine I go to Beverage Depot in FW or Goody Goody in Dallas. Usually find good liquor deals there, too. They also give mixed case discounts.

I don't drink much hard liquor.  But I bought a handle of Tito's a couple weeks ago at a small Spec's near Memorial Park a couple weeks ago.  It was about $5 more than the price at the big Spec's near my house.  I noticed the prices were all higher at the small Spec's.  Is that common?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't drink much hard liquor.  But I bought a handle of Tito's a couple weeks ago at a small Spec's near Memorial Park a couple weeks ago.  It was about $5 more than the price at the big Spec's near my house.  I noticed the prices were all higher at the small Spec's.  Is that common?

Yeah, that's common practice. Basically, the Spec's Warehouse downtown has all the special pricing, and the local neighborhood specs are more like typical liquor store rates. I only bother going to specs if it is the big downtown one. 

Total Wine is by far my favorite.

Costco if you know exactly what you want, liquor wise - supposedly their house brand isn't bad, or their house brand wines inside.

Specs, least favorite of the 3 (*), but closest so it gets my dollars usually.

(*) And Twin Liquor can suck a dick. That place is fucking expensive even compared to my podunk Specs'.